Low manipulation
Minimum heat
Sealing
Protein treatments once a while
More Moisture...
Keeping my scalp healthy..

*Eating Right (diet)

Happy Hair Growing!
Look at all that super long hair. What is your hair length goal?

When I say "at the end" I mean when I remove it completely. So far I've only done 4 weeks, but I'm inspired to try to leave the weave in for 8 weeks this time.

As for growth, I really don't know. This is my 5th month of ps'ing, but I haven't had a length check since last May. I can see and feel new growth, but I don't know how long it is. At the same time, since I have this new growth + relaxed hair it just looks like my hair is shorter, since the new growth grows out instead of down (if that makes sense).

I wait about 2 days before putting in the next install. I know it should be longer, but I can't think of styles that I would like, or that would look good with the amount of new growth I have now. Because of this I make sure my weave lady leaves out edges/back/etc and doesn't put tension on my hair with the braids.

And yesssssssss to not wanting the extra calories from beverages. It's funny tho... once I'd been drinking water heavy for about 3 weeks my body really started to crave it. I had a glass of milk the other day and was like ewwww.. can't believe I used to drink this daily. Now, water is the only thing that tastes good to me. Win. lol.
This had me smiling away. :up:

@Allandra I'm a relaxed head, only been on the forum nearly a month but I'm trying my best to learn; I cut off 2 inches of my hair to start fresh. I'm a relaxed head and I want to grow my hair 4-5 inches this year. Hopefully that's possible :-/ Was flatironing every week when you were relaxed bad for your hair or were you fine? I am not the best at rollersetting, I really want to be able to blowdry and flatiron after my weekly DC, but I'm pretty sure that's bad......I currently am looking at methods like wetwrapping, so we'll see. It's just easier for me to be able to deal with my hair during the week when it is straightened. I know I'm talkative, I'm just so curious as you got your hair to grow so long as a relaxed head. I want longer hair soooooo bad lol
My hair was fine with being flat iron every week or every two weeks. I enjoy getting my hair dried via roller set the best. I never wet wrapped my hair (not sure my hair would have liked that as it can be a lot of manipulation). Find a good regimen that works for your hair and stick with it (this is how my hair took off growing).

Protective styling is great (I'm a BELIEVER! lol) but if you don't moisturize properly, it just may be in vain. :sad:

I've been protective styling (hiding my hair under wigs), eliminating heat, and doing more finger combing. It seems to be working so far. I just need to make sure I moisturize more often. Sometimes I get lazy. :nono:

Now that I'm transitioning, I'm trying to keep heat to a minimum and I'm wearing lots of braids-outs, either in messy buns or out. That's a really good protective style. I'm also moisturising and sealing a lot. This is what I did to grow my hair to MBL-WL before so I figure it should work again on my natural hair.

Now that I'm transitioning, I'm trying to keep heat to a minimum and I'm wearing lots of braids-outs, either in messy buns or out. That's a really good protective style. I'm also moisturising and sealing a lot. This is what I did to grow my hair to MBL-WL before so I figure it should work again on my natural hair.
Sounds good to me. What length are you at now?

I usually lurk but I thought I would reply to this post too because my goal is to see how long my hair can grow. Currently I am shoulder length approaching APL. I currently PS in full installs (with closure) that I leave in for 4-6 weeks. I have been PS'ing since May 2010 but like a previous poster said, can't really tell how much I have retained because of the shrinkage on my new growth. I guess you could say I am texlaxed and I last texlaxed in Nov 2010. I try to moisturize under the install but I have a serious issue with oily hair and too much moisture while PS'sing makes my scalp extra itchy and dirty! I don't really have a reggie and am still trying to work that one out lol.
Currently here is what I do:

I wash 1x per week with Africa's Best Olive Oil Shampoo
Co-wash extensions and hair every other day alternating between Mane and Tail and Suave Coconut conditioner
plop weave overnight and baggy (it's my way of keeping my hair good and moist and it's why I usually stick with VI curly)
I spray my braids every other day with a mixture of Cantu Shea Butter and Water

After an install:
I detangle each braid after spraying with my Cantu/water mix
I wash once with Africa's best Olive Oil Shampoo (yes I know sulfates but my oily hair needs it)
I'm still experimenting with the right DC for me I found out my hair hates too much protein and will feel like straw so I stick with moisturizing DC's under my hooded dryer ( I currently am trying L'Oreal Naturals)
No heat since July except for blow dries after install and length checks

I just bought some pure shea butter for my son's eczema and some essential oils and I think I will experiment with making a moisturizer for me and my daughter's hair (her's is 3C and very dry).

Sorry for being so long winded. WHEW! I never realized how much stuff I do to my hair lol. and by the way, Allandra your hair is gorgeous!!!

I usually lurk but I thought I would reply to this post too because my goal is to see how long my hair can grow. Currently I am shoulder length approaching APL. I currently PS in full installs (with closure) that I leave in for 4-6 weeks. I have been PS'ing since May 2010 but like a previous poster said, can't really tell how much I have retained because of the shrinkage on my new growth. I guess you could say I am texlaxed and I last texlaxed in Nov 2010. I try to moisturize under the install but I have a serious issue with oily hair and too much moisture while PS'sing makes my scalp extra itchy and dirty! I don't really have a reggie and am still trying to work that one out lol.
Currently here is what I do:

I wash 1x per week with Africa's Best Olive Oil Shampoo
Co-wash extensions and hair every other day alternating between Mane and Tail and Suave Coconut conditioner
plop weave overnight and baggy (it's my way of keeping my hair good and moist and it's why I usually stick with VI curly)
I spray my braids every other day with a mixture of Cantu Shea Butter and Water

After an install:
I detangle each braid after spraying with my Cantu/water mix
I wash once with Africa's best Olive Oil Shampoo (yes I know sulfates but my oily hair needs it)
I'm still experimenting with the right DC for me I found out my hair hates too much protein and will feel like straw so I stick with moisturizing DC's under my hooded dryer ( I currently am trying L'Oreal Naturals)
No heat since July except for blow dries after install and length checks

I just bought some pure shea butter for my son's eczema and some essential oils and I think I will experiment with making a moisturizer for me and my daughter's hair (her's is 3C and very dry).

Sorry for being so long winded. WHEW! I never realized how much stuff I do to my hair lol. and by the way, Allandra your hair is gorgeous!!!
irisak :wave:

Come on out and post.

Are you going natural or do you space your texlaxes out quite a bit?

Thanks for the compliment.

@irisak :wave:

Come on out and post.

Are you going natural or do you space your texlaxes out quite a bit?

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm not really sure. I space my texlaxes out and usually only chemically straighten maybe 3-5 times a year. I say I want to go natural then end up texlaxing again just to see my length. I can't seem to make up my mind lol.

I never seem to make it past full BSL but the fault is all mine. I always get comfortable and lazy once I hit that length and so my ends start to thin out because I don't moisturize enough like I did before.
Three months ago I trimmed my hair to just below APL and am using the crow and glory method to grow it out. Also I haven't had a relaxer in 4 months and am toying with the idea of being natural.

I never seem to make it past full BSL but the fault is all mine. I always get comfortable and lazy once I hit that length and so my ends start to thin out because I don't moisturize enough like I did before.
Three months ago I trimmed my hair to just below APL and am using the crow and glory method to grow it out. Also I haven't had a relaxer in 4 months and am toying with the idea of being natural.
Sosoothing I hope growing out works for you this time around. Since you've made it past bsl before, I know you can do it again. What's your hair length goal? BTW, I love being natural. I think it's so much fun.

Allandra my goal is mid back length. Once I reach that goal then I may want to tackle waist length.
Your pictures and those of other healthy haired naturals on the board make me motivated about possibly being natural :-).

My regimen includes:

DC'ing once a week with a mixture of evoo, plain full fat yogurt, lekair cholesterol, lustrasilk cholesterol, honey, and ceramides (grapeseed oil or safflower oil). If I am not able to do this once a week due to my protective style I will do it as soon as it take the protective style out.

Henna once or twice a month. I also shampoo my hair once a month or every month and a half with either a mix of amla and shikakai powders or Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo depending on how much buildup I have.

Detangle my soaking wet hair covered in conditioner in the shower. I generally use suave, john frieda brilliant brunette shine (got it on sale for 50 cents), or VO5 in order to cowash and detangle. To detangle I use my denman D-4. I found that the wider rows are much easier on my natural 3c/4a hair.

After cowashing I add either Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight/Hello Hydration or Garnier Fructis Length and Strength. I put my hair into two braids or banded ponytails and pin it up over the next 24 hours to dry. After it dries I either get my hair put in cornrows, bun, or twist my hair. These styles will last between 1-2 weeks depending on upkeep. I sleep with a satin scarf every night but I have a satin pillow case for when I am too lazy. I protective style 80% of the time. I moisturize and seal every night or every other night with shea butter and either evoo or grapeseed oil. After one or two weeks I will DC, cowash, detangle, and start over.

Lately, if I plan to cornrow or twist I will lightly flat iron my hair in order to help stretch the hair. I only do this once or on rare occasions twice a month. I have a feeling this is making my ends smoother and I have not seen many SSK's since I began doing this. I fully flat iron my hair about every 3 or 4 months for length checks. Every time I use heat I use Chi Silk Infusion.

I have been experiencing breakage recently and I am not sure why. I was going to make a thread but just decided to post here. My signature picture is my last length check which was in the beginning of January. Not sure if I am BSL yet. My final goal is either MBL or WSL. Hopefully I make one of those by the end of this year.

My regimen includes:

DC'ing once a week with a mixture of evoo, plain full fat yogurt, lekair cholesterol, lustrasilk cholesterol, honey, and ceramides (grapeseed oil or safflower oil). If I am not able to do this once a week due to my protective style I will do it as soon as it take the protective style out.

Henna once or twice a month. I also shampoo my hair once a month or every month and a half with either a mix of amla and shikakai powders or Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo depending on how much buildup I have.

Detangle my soaking wet hair covered in conditioner in the shower. I generally use suave, john frieda brilliant brunette shine (got it on sale for 50 cents), or VO5 in order to cowash and detangle. To detangle I use my denman D-4. I found that the wider rows are much easier on my natural 3c/4a hair.

After cowashing I add either Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight/Hello Hydration or Garnier Fructis Length and Strength. I put my hair into two braids or banded ponytails and pin it up over the next 24 hours to dry. After it dries I either get my hair put in cornrows, bun, or twist my hair. These styles will last between 1-2 weeks depending on upkeep. I sleep with a satin scarf every night but I have a satin pillow case for when I am too lazy. I protective style 80% of the time. I moisturize and seal every night or every other night with shea butter and either evoo or grapeseed oil. After one or two weeks I will DC, cowash, detangle, and start over.

Lately, if I plan to cornrow or twist I will lightly flat iron my hair in order to help stretch the hair. I only do this once or on rare occasions twice a month. I have a feeling this is making my ends smoother and I have not seen many SSK's since I began doing this. I fully flat iron my hair about every 3 or 4 months for length checks. Every time I use heat I use Chi Silk Infusion.

I have been experiencing breakage recently and I am not sure why. I was going to make a thread but just decided to post here. My signature picture is my last length check which was in the beginning of January. Not sure if I am BSL yet. My final goal is either MBL or WSL. Hopefully I make one of those by the end of this year.
Your regimen sounds good. Are you moisturizing your ends well?

Your regimen sounds good. Are you moisturizing your ends well?

I believe so. I only put the shea/oil blend on the ends and a little up the hair shaft. Though I am seeing breakage I am having a hard time trying to decide if it is normal breakage or not. Normal breakage (though many do not admit they experience it) signifying the hairs that you are bound to lose during styling and handling. I am going to fully straighten my hair next month to see if I have retained any length or if this breakage is actually an issue.

I believe so. I only put the shea/oil blend on the ends and a little up the hair shaft. Though I am seeing breakage I am having a hard time trying to decide if it is normal breakage or not. Normal breakage (though many do not admit they experience it) signifying the hairs that you are bound to lose during styling and handling. I am going to fully straighten my hair next month to see if I have retained any length or if this breakage is actually an issue.
Did any product or thing change in your regimen that may be causing the breakage?

I believe the reduction in heat and a DC every month has helped me. Since I am a flat iron addict, I have cut back tremendously on blow drying, and focused on air drying. I do still blow dry, but since I air dry, it takes only 3-5 minutes to fully dry my whole head. Strangely, I've noticed that flat ironing is much easier and I get better flat iron results when I air dry, I guess it allows my conditioner to penetrate my hair better.

I believe the reduction in heat and a DC every month has helped me. Since I am a flat iron addict, I have cut back tremendously on blow drying, and focused on air drying. I do still blow dry, but since I air dry, it takes only 3-5 minutes to fully dry my whole head. Strangely, I've noticed that flat ironing is much easier and I get better flat iron results when I air dry, I guess it allows my conditioner to penetrate my hair better.
SoopremeBeing What is your current length? What is your length goal? I bet you're right about the conditioner penetrating the hair better.

Did any product or thing change in your regimen that may be causing the breakage?

In the last 6 months or so I added ceramides, started the light flat ironing (I have a Hana Elite so it is not as damaging on the hair), and perhaps changed some conditioners around (started using Garnier Fructis instead of Herbal Essences and added the John Frieda as a cowash conditioner). I did not originally question the conditioners because they give me great slip. Could I be getting too much protein? Lol I realized I am asking a lot of questions. Let me go make a thread. Thanks for all of your help :grin:

I had to cut back on washing cause this was actually screwing me up. I was washing every two days but I'm at one time per week now. I get Domincian blowouts and I make sure I get a protein treatment when I get them. I do blowouts once or twice per month and this is the only time I apply heat with the exception of DCing. Low manipulation is key. I don't do wigs or weaves, I usually keep my hair in a ponytail or something for protective styling.

In the last 6 months or so I added ceramides, started the light flat ironing (I have a Hana Elite so it is not as damaging on the hair), and perhaps changed some conditioners around (started using Garnier Fructis instead of Herbal Essences and added the John Frieda as a cowash conditioner). I did not originally question the conditioners because they give me great slip. Could I be getting too much protein? Lol I realized I am asking a lot of questions. Let me go make a thread. Thanks for all of your help :grin:
chevere62 You're not asking a lot of questions, besides, we're all here to help answer questions. :) Do you think it's the ceramides that could be causing breakage? I keep my regimen as simple as possible, and I stick to the same ole products.

Back