Flowinlocks 2 year update (pic heavy)

flowinlocks

Hey lovelies!! :wave:I'm nearing the 2 year mark of my LCHF anniversary in a few weeks. Just thought I'd share my progress.

I want to start by thanking everyone who helped me along the way with my journey. This forum has been a wonderful resource of knowledge, motivation and inspiration.:yep:

I've jumped on a few bandwagon, had a few setbacks :sad: as well as triumphs :band: along the way!!

:bighug: to all my LHCF sisters!! I couldn't have done it without you! Ok here goes.

Avatar pic. when I started, short and sassy
23vjgic.jpg

After a month in, shaved back is growing out.
2ewd1kk.jpg

December 08, after a few months of Ayurveda

user62849_pic8071_1228175522.jpg

February 2009
user62849_pic12431_1235527529.jpg

March 2009, made SL!!
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

August 2009, 1 year anniversary
352rkia.jpg

December 2009, Sigh.. that darn tail.:fistshake:
picture.php

April 2010 setback with ends :nono:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

This is what I was left with after that trim
picture.php

June 2010 at least I gained back what I had to cut
picture.php

Yesterdays trim, gotta get control of those ends if I'm to keep retaining length. I keep them protected at all times. I'm beginning to think air drying is doing me more harm than good.:perplexed
001.jpg
003.jpg

And without further adieu August 2010
010-1.jpg
014-1.jpg

End verdict is, I'm still on a quest for much needed thickness. Although I am grateful for the results I have achieved.:yep: I also suffered a small setback in 2009 from trying to stretch my relaxer.:nono:

Reggie Is pretty simple. It's basically a rotation of oiling with Ayurvedic oils which include, Shikakai, Amla, Bhringraj and a few others. or Ceramides like WGO or Hemp oil.

Cowashing at least twice a week, conds. vary. Although my staples are Aussie Moist, Suave Humectant, and Skala.

I dc at least once a week. Once again conds. vary. Staples include ORS, Silicon Mix, Motions CPR in the jar

Leave in's include CHI Keratin Mist and HH LTR

The only time I use shampoo is when I relax, every 8 to 10 weeks with Hawaiian Silky Lye in mild.

For cleansing, its my Shikakai bar a few times a month or an Ayurvedic tea rinse once a week if I'm not being lazy. Whew, I think that's it.:spinning:

Last edited:
Flow, your hair is growing beautifully! :grin: You can really see the difference in the thickness in your hair 2/3 from the scalp. Keep up the amazing work, girlie.

Flow, your hair is growing beautifully! :grin: You can really see the difference in the thickness in your hair 2/3 from the scalp. Keep up the amazing work, girlie.

Sigh I'm trying, It seems I've had to work my tail off for every inch I've gotten.:nono: I know it would be much thicker if I can get a handle on KEEPING the ends healthy.

Your 2 year update looks good, FL!:grin: Even with the setbacks (yes, we all have those), you're making slow but steady progress. To thicken up your ends, just try cutting back slowly from the bottom layer a little bit at a time. Maybe 1/2 inch every 3 months, a blunt cut on the bottom only. This will give the top layers a chance to catch up eventually with the bottom layers over time. Also, not sure if you're using castor oil already in your reggie, but its known to thicken up edges and ends. I've been using it on my edges for more than a year, and my hair drinks it up!! I've also added JBCO (jamacian black castor oil) for scalp massages, it really softens the roots, and helps with thickness. You don't even need to use a lot, a little goes a long way. It has the consistency of a serum, and can even be used to seal the ends. Great job, Flowin' and keep it up, cause i learn so much from you!!!:yep:

Nice progress! It's so funny that I totally remember your original avatar picture. :lol:

Your 2 year update looks good, FL!:grin: Even with the setbacks (yes, we all have those), you're making slow but steady progress. To thicken up your ends, just try cutting back slowly from the bottom layer a little bit at a time. Maybe 1/2 inch every 3 months, a blunt cut on the bottom only. This will give the top layers a chance to catch up eventually with the bottom layers over time. Also, not sure if you're using castor oil already in your reggie, but its known to thicken up edges and ends. I've been using it on my edges for more than a year, and my hair drinks it up!! I've also added JBCO (jamacian black castor oil) for scalp massages, it really softens the roots, and helps with thickness. You don't even need to use a lot, a little goes a long way. It has the consistency of a serum, and can even be used to seal the ends. Great job, Flowin' and keep it up, cause i learn so much from you!!!:yep:

Yes I do use Castor oil, but it's usually later in my stretch. I love how it makes my hair feel. I do plan on doing some me trimming this year. Also the sulfur seems to be helping.:yep:

It doesn't matter, my hair can take as much time as it needs to get/stay healthy. I would rather be healthy thick SL than stringy BSL any day.

I also made the mistake after I straightened of putting too much Vatika oil through my strands.This makes it look even thinner than it is, but I can't win... If I don't oil up and leave it light and airy so it bounces. The strands just pop off.:nono:

Back