Flowinlocks 2 year update (pic heavy)

Fl, your progress is amazing!
Do you attribute that to the powders/oils?

Also your hair will thicken up when your top layers grow out. Either way, your bottom layers are nearly BSB with only 2 yrs. Imagine how much length you would have if you started at SL.

Sorry for the rant, Great progress!

Fl, your progress is amazing!
Do you attribute that to the powders/oils?

Also your hair will thicken up when your top layers grow out. Either way, your bottom layers are nearly BSB with only 2 yrs. Imagine how much length you would have if you started at SL.

Sorry for the rant, Great progress!

Thank you and yes!!!! I love Ayurveda!!! :reddancer: I honestly can tell the difference in my hair when I slack on my Ayurvedic reggie. :yep:

It will forever be a staple in my daily haircare.

I'm trying to be patient with my hair, and I'm thankful for every inch I get. Sometimes I just long for that I don't have to pay any attention to it kind of hair, and it will thrive anyway.

I feel like with my hair it's one wrong move and poof! Back to square one. :lol: Ok I'm tripping...

Thanks again ladies! Anyone have more advice on how they successfully achieved thicker ends? I tried cuttting that v and it came right back.:perplexed

You grow girl!!!
If you don't mind me asking....what's ya hair type?
&& as for thickening your ends.....i've heard JBCO & Megatek can help with that, I am currently using JBCO as we speak...haven't been using it long enough to notice substantial change though...either way I LOVE that stuff :D

You grow girl!!!
If you don't mind me asking....what's ya hair type?
&& as for thickening your ends.....i've heard JBCO & Megatek can help with that, I am currently using JBCO as we speak...haven't been using it long enough to notice substantial change though...either way I LOVE that stuff :D

Thanks! I'm type 4a/b, although the crown is 4z.:lachen:Super dry and coarse. I have tried MT at the beginning of my journey, but I couldn't deal with the shedding. Taking garlic didn't help. I finally had to give it up.

I have never tried JBCO, although I do use regular Castor oil, just not regularly. I may have to start. I don't believe any product will thicken the ends, may just give the appearance of thickness. However the hair growing from the scalp is a different story.:yep: Be sure to keep us posted with your results...

It did seem thicker when I was taking MSM, but it made me gain weight.:nono:

If I wasn't so lazy, I would use Henna.

Wow FL! You have had some wonderful progress even with the setbacks! You will be at BSL in no time at all!

Thanks again ladies! Anyone have more advice on how they successfully achieved thicker ends? I tried cuttting that v and it came right back.:perplexed

In your original post you talk about all the products you use and how you deep condition, etc. What about how you are styling your hair? How often do you wash? Do you hear/feel a lot of hair popping when combing/brushing? Are you ends hard to keep moisturized and soft? All of these things will be factors in keeping the ends of your hair healthy and retaining length.

Your ends are as healthy as any that I've seen. I think you're experiencing lead hairs, is all. You're bound to have the fullness you seek when your top layers reach your bottom layers.

I think your V grew in fuller after you cut it. The first time it was more like a tail, almost. And now it's fuller, getting closer to a U. Keep up the great work!

Wow FL! You have had some wonderful progress even with the setbacks! You will be at BSL in no time at all!

Thanks Taz, I'm still praying I make it by the end of the year. You know I always say I'd kill for half the thickness you have.

In your original post you talk about all the products you use and how you deep condition, etc. What about how you are styling your hair? How often do you wash? Do you hear/feel a lot of hair popping when combing/brushing? Are you ends hard to keep moisturized and soft? All of these things will be factors in keeping the ends of your hair healthy and retaining length.

You are so right, that's just it, I try to baby my hair..... I don't do ponytail holders. That was the reason for the first setback with the ends. I was using Goodies ouchless bands. Very loosely mind you, and just basically twisting the hair around and tucking the ends under the band.:nono:

I haven't did this in forever. Now it's basically a clip that loosely keeps it up off my neck for everyday Or either I pin it in a frenchroll at night.

I sleep on a satin case, ans actually I don't comb my hair unless I detangling. Which is becoming harder BTW. I don't hear any hair poppin, and I have very little shedding. After my cowashes, I spray lightly with CHI keratin mist. This has helped me tremdelousy with gaining inches in the crown.:yep:

I moisturize and seal daily. As for washing, As I stated, I don't wash, well at least not with poo. I cowash, use a cleansing tea rinse, or Shikakai bar a few times a month.

I think my problem is coming from airdrying. I know this is the unpopular opinion, but after so long my hair seems to do better if it's blowdried and the roots stretched a bit. It's cool for the first 4 or 5 weeks in my stretch. But after that.:nono: My hair is VERY coarse, and it's a very sharp contrast between the newgrowth and the relaxed hair. Once again this is where my CHI helps with the line of demarcation, but I don't feel it's enough. I don't do long stretches for this very reason.

Also, after about 6 weeks, my hair does seem to crave a ton of moisture, and using the sulfur intensifies this. I must admit the ceramides do help when I can remember to prepoo with them.:yep: Are you still doing the EVOO and WGO?

I think I'm going to experiment with not cowashing as often and using a little heat further into the stretch.

Your ends are as healthy as any that I've seen. I think you're experiencing lead hairs, is all. You're bound to have the fullness you seek when your top layers reach your bottom layers.

I think your V grew in fuller after you cut it. The first time it was more like a tail, almost. And now it's fuller, getting closer to a U. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, yeah I noticed that also. I'm sure you are right about the other hair catching up. I'm hoping this will eventually give me the fullness I want.:yep:

You have to just wait for the top layers to grow out longer. They will play catch up. You could gradually trim the bottom layer if the urge for thickness outweighs the desire for length. But I would hate to lose perfectly fine and healthy hair over evening out the layers.

My stylist used to always try to convince me to trim my left side to match my right side and most times I would tell her no because that was the way my hair grew. One day she went to trim my hair and was so shocked when she saw that the right side had caught up on it's own. Just keep your ends healthy and it will work itself out.

I'm also find that I need to add heat to my reggie. I air dry 90% of the time and my ends are being to tangle and knot on themselves. I am impatient so I just rip them out.
I am thinking I am going to need to lightly blow dry or roller set more often.

You have to just wait for the top layers to grow out longer. They will play catch up. You could gradually trim the bottom layer if the urge for thickness outweighs the desire for length. But I would hate to lose perfectly fine and healthy hair over evening out the layers.

My stylist used to always try to convince me to trim my left side to match my right side and most times I would tell her no because that was the way my hair grew. One day she went to trim my hair and was so shocked when she saw that the right side had caught up on it's own. Just keep your ends healthy and it will work itself out.

I'm also find that I need to add heat to my reggie. I air dry 90% of the time and my ends are being to tangle and knot on themselves. I am impatient so I just rip them out.
I am thinking I am going to need to lightly blow dry or roller set more often.

:yep: This is me.

what beautiful facial features you have!!!

and your growth is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!

i totally identify with the layers bit as i too, am waiting for my shorter layers to catch up so that i can have more fullness. we need patience.

i also really identify with the coarse ng hairs! ouch, it's awful!
have you tried dc'ing on dry hair by parting into 4 big sections, then making mini sections to apply the dc just like you would do a perm?
that's been working for me.
also, using banana baby food with jbco, thick buttermilk (or yogurt) and, to my surprise....glycerine.
it may sound a bit "off the wall" but after i do that and sleep on it, my ng is much less coarse.

then, as i air dry, i put some capuacu butter on my hair with parted sections at the crown. i do that when my hair is still damp, but not soaking wet and the crown and ng dries as soft as the other parts of my hair.

ETA: many times i also put honey (yes from the grocery store) in the above mentioned dc mix to soften my ng and crown. works like a charm!

Last edited:
Back