Flowinlocks 1 year update

First off - you're gorgeous!

Secondly, congrats on your progress and hard work!

You have me ready to track down an Indian grocery and snatch up all the ayurveda products real quick!

OMG, i actually gasped when i saw the after pic! you made amazing progress!!!

would you mind sharing the kinds of powders and oils you're using?

:wave:Hey lovely ladies, whew I made it!!! First I just wanna say this has been a fun journey so far. Although I've had a small set back from trying to stretch, (I won't be doing that again anytime soon.):nono: I'm very pleased with my results. I couldn't have done it without all the education and motivation this forum offers. I must especially thank the ladies who helped me at the beginning: Nice & Wavy,Aggie, Just Kiya,Sareca, Inquiring mind I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, so please forgive me. :cheers: A toast to you guys for answering questions & making me feel welcome.

To my Ayurveda Inspirations: Angel Doll, Lavender, Longhairdon'tcare, Aggie, Candy C.,Mingming3, Noir, once again I know there's more. Thanks so much for the recipes and knowledge. :grouphug:

I have been using Ayurveda for the past 10 months, my reggie consists of : Cowashing 3 or more times a week, sometimes with the powders, sometimes with just a cheapie cond. on hair that has been oiled the night before. I dc twice a week, Tea rinse when I feel like it, usually about once a week sometimes less if I'm being lazy. I airdry and bun daily. Oh yeah I forgot to add daily oiling with a batch of Ayurvedic oils I keep in rotation. So it's pretty much oiling, cowashing, tea rinsing, dcing, bunning. I relax with Vitale life and body lye relaxer in regular or Hawaiian Silky regular lye about every 9 weeks. I do plan on working on inching my stretches up again slowly. That's pretty much it.

Did I for get to mention I :love2: Ayurveda!! Lol, it took my hair from :hair::weird: to this :gorgeous:. :lachen: I know I have a long way to go but I have no doubt with this forum and a little tlc I reach my goal of WL. I'm currently in the APL by Dec. challenge. It looks like I'll be joining again next year also, but that's ok it's been a blast. Thanks ladies!! :grouphug2:

You probably remember this pic. from my avatar when I started, this was the summer before my journey

23vjgic.jpg

This was my starting siggy a few weeks in

2ewd1kk.jpg

these were taken today

25uoc5y.jpg

just relaxed, with cond. in. Notice the one side longer :ohwell:

nlv2v9.jpg

after blow dry, straighten and trim

2ujjwbl.jpg

352rkia.jpg

I can't wait till I trim off all the pre LHCF/Ayurveda hair so my ends in the back are thicker.

ETA: I forgot to add, I have soooo many insprations of gorgeous WL and beyond hair on this board. (to many to name) that don't use Ayurveda.

you have done an AMAZING job with your hair, hun!!! :woot: keep up the great work and soon you'll be someone's WL inspiration!!! :yep:

OMG, i actually gasped when i saw the after pic! you made amazing progress!!!

would you mind sharing the kinds of powders and oils you're using?

Thanks, I use Amla, Brahmi, Bhringraj, & Fenugreek powders. I usually mix 2 or more of these in a cheapie cond. a few times week. I mix them in dc as well. The Fenugreek turns kinda gluey So it's best to dissolve it with boiling water first. or use it as a tea. I also use non Ayurvedic powders such as Nettle and Horsetail, beware the Horsetail kinda Hypes me up. I only do this one in the day, but my hair always comes out super soft from the silica. I'm experimenting with Hibiscus and Kalpi Tone. I haven't decided if I like these yet. I think I'll try them as a tea. The oils I use are Hairveda Shikakai oil,(keeper) Vatika oil, (my favorite) Amla Oil, (keeper) I've recently added Hesh Shikakai oil, (stinky) I'm not to fond of it so I use this as a prepoo, same with Navratna oil, stinks horribly :nono: like cheap old lady perfume, STRONG perfume, but on the plus side it makes me sleepy so I use this one at night and cowash it out in the morning. I also use Ramirth Bhrami oil.(keeper) In the past I have used Gro Aut as well as Mahabhringraj and Sesa oils. (not my favorite , but I might reconsider repurchasing them) I just started with the Afroveda Shikakai and Hibiscus oils. (both of theses are keepers!!) Lol I know it seems like a lot but I've been trying to see which ones I want to stick with. The stinkier ones I use at night and rinse out in the morning, the Afroveda and Hairveda I save for the day. I have made homemade oils from these powders, but they seem to stink really bad even when I mix in eo :perplexedThe shikakai powder seems drying to me even in small doses, so I've been using the shampoo bar and loving it!! :lick: I think that's it.:look:

Thanks, I use Amla, Brahmi, Bhringraj, & Fenugreek powders. I usually mix 2 or more of these in a cheapie cond. a few times week. I mix them in dc as well. The Fenugreek turns kinda gluey So it's best to dissolve it with boiling water first. or use it as a tea. I also use non Ayurvedic powders such as Nettle and Horsetail, beware the Horsetail kinda Hypes me up. I only do this one in the day, but my hair always comes out super soft from the silica. I'm experimenting with Hibiscus and Kalpi Tone. I haven't decided if I like these yet. I think I'll try them as a tea. The oils I use are Hairveda Shikakai oil,(keeper) Vatika oil, (my favorite) Amla Oil, (keeper) I've recently added Hesh Shikakai oil, (stinky) I'm not to fond of it so I use this as a prepoo, same with Navratna oil, stinks horribly :nono: like cheap old lady perfume, STRONG perfume, but on the plus side it makes me sleepy so I use this one at night and cowash it out in the morning. I also use Ramirth Bhrami oil.(keeper) In the past I have used Gro Aut as well as Mahabhringraj and Sesa oils. (not my favorite , but I might reconsider repurchasing them) I just started with the Afroveda Shikakai and Hibiscus oils. (both of theses are keepers!!) Lol I know it seems like a lot but I've been trying to see which ones I want to stick with. The stinkier ones I use at night and rinse out in the morning, the Afroveda and Hairveda I save for the day. I have made homemade oils from these powders, but they seem to stink really bad even when I mix in eo :perplexedThe shikakai powder seems drying to me even in small doses, so I've been using the shampoo bar and loving it!! :lick: I think that's it.:look:

great, thanks so much for the detailed response! i started an ayurvedic regimen recently, and am just now getting the hang of oiling my hair and using the powders (right now i use neem, shikakai, kalpi tone, and amla). vatika is my absolute favorite! i've got to give navratna a try, since i love old lady perfumes :grin:

:love: :dance7: :love: WOW!! Great progress!!!
I had a few questions...
Do you mind listing a few of the recipes or attach links to the ones you've used please?
How exactly do you use the horsetail and nettle, whats your recipe? I have these as tea bag and wanted to know how to apply them directly to my hair.
How often do you use the shampoo bar? I have the Godrej brand and didnt want to over-use it so it wont dry out my hair.

Sorry for the many ??s
Thanks so much for your help!!!

:love: :dance7: :love: WOW!! Great progress!!!
I had a few questions...
Do you mind listing a few of the recipes or attach links to the ones you've used please?
How exactly do you use the horsetail and nettle, whats your recipe? I have these as tea bag and wanted to know how to apply them directly to my hair.
How often do you use the shampoo bar? I have the Godrej brand and didn't want to over-use it so it wont dry out my hair.

Sorry for the many ??s
Thanks so much for your help!!!

Thanks, no I don't mind at all. I have been using the Shikakai bar with excellent results. I have both the Godrej and the Swastik. I love both of them equally. I have use them as often as twice a week with no problems. This is of course on preoiled hair.

As far as the Horsetail and Nettle, I originally infused an oil with these two along with other Ayurvedic hers like Bhrami, Bhringraj and Amla. It only took me a short while to realize that even as an oil Horsetail hypes me up. I think it due to the nicotine in it. Anyhoo I only use this oil for my prepoo, In the daytime. I also use them in my newly discovered double tea rinse. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=9048602&postcount=1053

For some reason I'm loving the result of this method rather than combining the cleansing and moisturizing herbs together. The first rinse is cleansing, the second is moisturizing. I do this now in place of the Shikakai bars only because I loooove the silkiness it gives my hair. I still have the bars on standby for when I'm lazy. The double tea rinse makes my hair feel so good I do it twice a week. I want to do it more but I don't want to over do a good thing.

Oh yeah one other thing, I'm really liking the Hes Shikakai oil. Even though it's kinda stinky and it has mineral oil. My hair is responding very well to the combination of herbs in this oil. Ingredients- Vegetable Oil, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil)
Acacia Concinna (Shikakai Extract), Ricinus Communis (Castor Oil), Parfum
Isopropyl Myristate, Cyclomethicone, Extract of Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera)
Phyllanthus Emblica (Amla), Centella Asiatica (Brahmi), Eclipta Prostrata (Maka)
Melia Azadirachta (Neem), Trigonella Foenum-Graecum (Methi), Ethylhexyl (Octyl)
Methoxycinnamate, Santalum Album (Sandal Oil), BHT, CI 47000, CI 26100, CI 61565

I don't use any of the traditional Ayurvedic oils for moisture so I'm not worried about the Mineral oil. I have my Afroveda and Hairveda for that purpose. I use them as prepoos or as a a little pick me up when I need a little extra throughout the day.

I have use the Horsetail and Nettle in my Ayurvedic cond. pastes as well. My recipe for this is, a moisturizing cond. of your choice. I love Aussie Moist, I usually add a small amount of Suave Humectant or Vo5 for added slip. I usually add a teaspoon of the Bhrami, Bhringraj, Nettle, and a tablespoon of Horsetail. I usually add double the amount of Horsetail to my mixtures because it makes my hair so soft. I mix i cond. till it turns to a thick creamy paste. It should not be runny. I apply this to preoiled hair, parting sections and applying it to the ng first then I pull it through the ends. DONOT comb or manipulate the hair. I put on a plastic cap , you can apply heat if you like. I keep this in anywhere from 30min. to 2 hours. You will not believe how soft your hair feels after this treatment.This also works good with protein conds. like ORS and Silicone Mix.

I love the moisture and softness and slip the Hibiscus and Fenugreek gives to my hair but the Hibiscus powder makes my pastes runny for some reason. And the Fenugreek is too gluey and hard for me to rinse So I only use these in my teas

Thanks soo much for breaking it down for me. I'm prepooing my hair as we speak with shikakai oil so I can try one of these mixes tomorrow. I sometimes use this oil as a sealant and then put my hair in a bun so everyone around me wont give me funny looks. :lachen:

Thanks Lady!

Thanks soo much for breaking it down for me. I'm prepooing my hair as we speak with shikakai oil so I can try one of these mixes tomorrow. I sometimes use this oil as a sealant and then put my hair in a bun so everyone around me wont give me funny looks. :lachen:

Thanks Lady!

You're quite welcome. Let me know how it turns out.

On a side note, I know exactly what you me about the funny looks. I have Amla oil in my hair now and my dd said my hair smell funny when she walked by.:ohwell:

Last edited:
Back