Flat Ironed While WET

GinuwinesBoo

i finally did it and i absolutley loved it. I will never go back. it did sizzle a lot but it got my hair much straiter and shiny than usual. the only thing is that i couldnt get to close to the scalp without it getting to hot. my hair was pretty wet cause all i did was towel dry it and then i put all my leave ins and oils in it and put grease on each piece before i ironed it. i would definitley reccomend it.
~Lauren

Lauren, thanks for sharing your results. Did you flat iron until your hair was completely dry or was there some moisture in your hair after you ironed?

Did you wrap it up after you were done ironing?

Also, did your hair puff up the next day or did it remain straight?

Okay last question, are you 4a/4b?

I don't know about this wet thang. Doesn't the sizzling mean your hair is frying? If your hair is wet, I don't understand how it can suddenly become dry and straight.
confused.gif

Can someone please shed some light on this dilemma for me pleaz
ohwell.gif

I wouldn't try it because I read a website one time where it said doing that can cause bubbles to form within the hair strand and cause the hair to eventually break. But the sizzling is the water boiling and it become dry and straight kind of like if you spill water on a pair of pants while ironing them, if you keep putting the heat on the pants, the water will steam away and all the wrinkles will be gone. Hope that make sense.

I plan on doing a strand test with this method, but I'm going to do it on a slightly damp section (not wet).

[ QUOTE ]
ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
I wouldn't try it because I read a website one time where it said doing that can cause bubbles to form within the hair strand and cause the hair to eventually break. But the sizzling is the water boiling and it become dry and straight kind of like if you spill water on a pair of pants while ironing them, if you keep putting the heat on the pants, the water will steam away and all the wrinkles will be gone. Hope that make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like that I did. My hair was so fine and looked pretty except my strand flat and hard.

I just now tried this and I wasn't all that impressed. But, I would definitely recommend this for people with fine hair because you end up with a LOT of body-which for me translates into BIG hair. I had to use some of my hubby's hair grease to help "control" it. I flat ironed it after towel drying and I had to mist it a couple of times because my hair air dries really fast.

I dunno-seems like it actually took me longer to do my hair than it normally takes. It really didn't sizzle except on places where it was kinda wet still. I did take the nozzle of my blow dryer and kind dry my roots first before proceeding. I really was expecting spectacular results but it came out just alright. Don't know if I would do this regularly or if I would trust this big hair in humidity.

But glad I tried it. Maybe I might give it another whirl by tweaking my method a bit. Like having wetter hair and some kind on light oil or serum on it first.
scratchchin.gif

im 4a/b. i ran the iron through it until i heard no sizzling. my hair didnt turn into a poofball the next day and i didnt wrap it although that would be a good idea so i think ill do that next time. the thing that gets it strait is how well you comb it before you iron it. its like a roller set- any lumps in the hair will stay there once it dries. I also have about an inch of new growth and it straighened that pretty good too. I would definitley do a strand test first though becuz everyones hair may react differently.

I sort of tried this.. I washed my hair..then put some Ultra Sheen Satin Creme Press on the ends..lightly oiled the rest..braided it..and went to sleep. In the morning it was still damp when I flat ironed it.. before starting I put Phyto 9 on the length of my hair. My ends came out nice and smooth..my hair had a "moist" feel to it. I ended up pulling my hair up into a claw clip because I am close to retouching. It took me an average of 3-4 pulls through with the flat iron to get my hair to the desired dryness. This is using the Jibere flat iron on the highest setting. If I had a flat iron that got hotter (Chi or Unil) it may have only taken me 2 pull throughs. I feel that this is safe to do with my hair because it is fairly thick and can take a lot of rough handling. I'd like to try this when I don't have as much new growth and wear my hair down throughout the day to see if it gets puffy. I wouldn't do this with my hair soaking dripping wet, but damp with some kind of protectant in it is fine.

[ QUOTE ]
shandaMichelle said:
I wouldn't do this with my hair soaking dripping wet, but damp with some kind of protectant in it is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O

i wanna try this method too. i used to flat iron my hair regularly but since i've been reading stuff on this board i don't use heat that much like i used to.i'm afraid of damaging my hair.How do u minimize the damage the heat is causing to your hair? will a leave-in con do?

my hair's thick too, but not when it's wet, only when it's fully dried so I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I use a conair flatiron and it doesn't have any heat settings, so hopefully I get good results.

my hair's thick too, but not when it's wet, only when it's fully dried so I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I use a conair flatiron and it doesn't have any heat settings, so hopefully I get good results.

This is just an update on this-I went out of town the next day after doing this and all I have to say now about doing this is I will NEVER do it again. I pretty much wore my hair down most of the time and guys, I had to curl it pretty much everyday for it to behave and that included wrapping it up at night. It was very poofy and just out of control unless I curled it and then the curls really didn't even hold that long.
down.gif

I hope others have better luck with this, I don't even want to try to attempt this again.
frown.gif

i've tried this with damp hair and it really does works on my hair. i wouldn't try it on soaking wet hair b/c it would take entirely toooo long and the steam would get on my nerves.

Isn't this pretty much the same as blow drying damp/towel dry hair? I can get my hair super straight with a blow dryer comb attached. How is this different in terms of mininizing heat damage?

AAAAAH!No!NO!NO!i would NEVER EVER flat iron my hair,wet or damp..That would burn my ends in a snap.A trusty hairstylist told me that this would weaken my strands and eventually the contact water/hair would have a Boiling"effect on the hair,causing split ends and dryness.

I've tried this on damp hair, and it felt much softer to the touch--like the moisture was trapped in somehow.

In theory you're just boiling the water into your hair strands, hence the sizzling, long term it doesn't sound at all healthy for the hair.

Ive done this with the pressing comb many times..no ill effects that i can see, just helps it to dry, i can do this alot easier than i can use a blowdryer
smile.gif

yup,Plus since the moment your hair is wet u will have to straight it at least 3 times before to get it dried,which involve an overuse of heat and consequentially damaged hair.

When I was in high school, I had my hair pressed while it was damp with nothing applied to it...in sections. It would sizzle and dry as the comb passed through. And then grease was applied and the comb ran through it again in sections. The result: I had the best press ever. How much more damaging this was than just passing the comb through my dry hair with grease already on it several times (which was necessary to get my hair straight), I couldn't say. All I remember is my hair felt soft and looked nice and shiny without being overly greasy. (Think of a dominican press.) I don't remember if that press took longer to revert than my previous presses, but ever since then I've always thought that it was the "right" way to press hair.
dork.gif
crazy.gif

I want to try this on my daughter's hair. She hates the blowdryer and it really dries her scalp. I have a ceramic flatiron and firgure it would be better for her hair. It will get dried and straight. She loves to have her naturally curly hair straightned but the hotcomb every time I wash is too much. What I plan on doing is towel drying and putting some strainer like Got 2 B or something on it first, putting some type of heat protectant and letting the majority of the moisture to get out first. THen I will proceed to flatiron. I won't put the flatiron on her hair where it is very wet, that doesn't sound good to me. I think if the hair is semi air dry that it should be fine. I know in the hair salon when my daughter goes for a professional press, they sit her under the dryer for 10 minutes and then start pressing, the hair isn't completly dry but the stylist told me they don't like to blowdry and press the little girls, too much heat back to back.

Keep in mind that water boils at 100 degrees celcius but oil can get alot hotter than that, so if you here a sizzle from oil on dry hair, its MUCH more heat than hearing the sizzle of water evaporating.

Back