Flat Ironed While WET

so far for me it hasnt been bad at all

i think the water is keeping it safe from the heat, like it cant burn as long as its wet...like a hot pan , when you put water in it sizzles but is cooling it off ....they offset eachother imo , the heat and the water. but the heat slowly dries it...and the water keeps it from getting to hot.....now if you go putting a major hot appliance in your hair wet and let it get too hot on your hair by passing it slowly etc. then i can see it actually doing the boiling thing..but if your passing the appliance quickly to dry it its fine. its way less damaging than a blow dryer, thats evidenced to me by the fact that my hair dries with less trauma and less dryness than with the blow dryer...i even think this locks in some moisture...since i have been doing this i have had some of the best presses ever... all i know is ive done it quite a few times and it works fine

[ QUOTE ]
Cat_Eyed_Cutie said:
This sounds like a really bad idea to me...
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree...unless u use foil over the hair section u are flat ironing.
look.gif

Sounds like something I would love to try, but I can't afford "another set back".

I am just 3-4" from my goal, moving right along. . .

Well, when my mother used to press my hair with a straightening comb, she would never allow my hair to air dry completely. Instead, she would press the hair while it was a bit damp,and still had the moisture of the water.

My hair always received a nice press, and lasted for an entire week.

So, the flat ironing while damp would make sense to me. Sopping wet? I am not so sure about that.

northernbelle

i think i might give this a try also. i'll sit around in my "turban" then try it on a section or two of my hair. i will post the results.

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
Isn't this pretty much the same as blow drying damp/towel dry hair? I can get my hair super straight with a blow dryer comb attached. How is this different in terms of mininizing heat damage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! I get straight hair by blowdrying with a comb attachment too! How is "flat ironing while wet" different from "blowdrying with a comb attachment while wet"?

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
I've tried this on damp hair, and it felt much softer to the touch--like the moisture was trapped in somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I heard that flat ironing while wet/damp can seal in the moisture if u use foil over your hair when flat ironing.

I know they made flat irons that you use to dry hair and and straighten. I even seen them at walmart for about $25.00, but I am not sure if they are ment for hair of color.

neonbright said:
I know they made flat irons that you use to dry hair and and straighten. I even seen them at walmart for about $25.00, but I am not sure if they are ment for hair of color.
I don't think they're good for any type of hair.
I'm too close to my goal to mess up and have another set-back now, no way.

I think I will be trying this on damp hair. Tourmaline has a wet to dry flat iron that supposedly gets hair really sleek and shiny. I wonder if anyone has tried out this iron? I'd love to hear the reviews.

This sounds like something for Caucasian or Asian hair...not RELAXED hair or Natural hair (predominantly African-American hair). IMO, its too risky. You get enough damage from using heat on dry hair. :ohwell: Glad you had nice results though.

From an article I read:

Invariably, bubble hair is caused by some kind of heating appliance, most often curling irons. These operate somewhere between 120 and 180 °C, roughly speaking. Water boils at 100 °C. If a hot curling iron is put on to wet hair, it boils the water inside the hair. The boiling water softens the keratin of the cortex; then the steam from the boiling water expands and forms tiny bubbles inside the hair. Eventually the hair breaks off, either at or somewhere near a bubble.

Bubble hair magnified. Not healthy at all.

I will definitely have to pass on this.:ohwell: This method sounds like it will weaken your hair considerably over time. It might give me a cuter, straighter flatironing, but the cumulative damge over time that can result . . . I am just not willing to deal with or gamble on. At least not with my hair.:look:

Sistaslick said:
From an article I read:

Bubble hair magnified. Not healthy at all.

I will definitely have to pass on this.:ohwell: This method sounds like it will weaken your hair considerably over time. It might give me a cuter, straighter flatironing, but the cumulative damge over time that can result . . . I am just not willing to deal with or gamble on. At least not with my hair.:look:
As always, Sista is on point with the info. :) Thanks girl, although I wasn't about to try this on my hair.

I know man!:perplexed Just wanted to throw that out there. But hey...if you don't mind the possibility of creating a bubble hair situation... then press on! *no pun intended*:lol: Don't mind me:lol:

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE NEW WET TO DRY CERAMIC FLAT IRON
ITS SUPPOSED TO BE MORE HEALTHY FOR YOUR HAIR CAUSING
LESS STRESS AND BREAKAGE

I have tried flat ironing with wet hair (in the bad hair phase), and I will never do it again. The sizzling, the burned hair smell, dryness...not good at all. I much prefer to have my hair about 90% - 95% dry after adding my protectant before I put that ceramic iron anywhere near it.

SEXYMEEKA7902 said:
HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE NEW WET TO DRY CERAMIC FLAT IRON
ITS SUPPOSED TO BE MORE HEALTHY FOR YOUR HAIR CAUSING
LESS STRESS AND BREAKAGE

I had one of those and ended up throwing it out. I would not even GIVE it away. I was nto good for my hair at all!!

I am not convinced that so-called bubble hair is caused by flat ironing while wet. Even when your hair is supposedly dry, there is still water in your hair, so ANYONE flat ironing at a high enough temperature can have bubble hair.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8277032&dopt=Abstract
RESULTS: No person's hair failed to develop bubbles when subjected to sufficient heat. The cause of bubble hair in the patient was an overheating hair dryer. The cavitations contained a gas. CONCLUSION: Bubble hair is a reproducible hair shaft defect caused by heat. The use of overheating hair dryers, or any other hair care equipment that overheats, should be avoided.

http://blog.sleekhair.com/2006/01/how-can-bubble-hair-be-helped.html

ALso, anyone who has used the Maxiglide with the steam option should be getting bubble hair since it infuses water in the hair at a temperature that can be well over 100 degrees.

NOTE: I am not saying people should be flat ironing while hair is soaking wet. I have flat ironed my hair when it was just slightly moist and my hair happened to like it better.

Back