Fetishism Interracial Dating

Dellas

Why I Dated A Guy Who Fetishized Me For Being A Black Woman
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fetish-for-black-women_n_5c630317e4b0a8731aeaad42

Why I Dated A Guy Who Fetishized Me For Being A Black Woman

My relationship with my identity has always been complicated.

I grew up on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, where, more often than not, I was the only black face in a room. Still, my family is extremely Afrocentric, and we celebrated everything from our black skin, to our curves, to the way we styled our hair. Even in those moments when I was the only one like me, my mom and my nana never let me second-guess myself.

Despite growing up with confidence, there were times I looked around and wished I had white features. I spent a huge chunk of my young life attracted to men who preferred my white, Hispanic or lighter-skinned friends. This made me feel upset and a little insecure. After years of this cycle — overlooked as a result of the color of my skin— at 18, I found myself attracted to a guy who was fixated on me specifically because I was black.

A fellow Upper East Sider, he was a handsome guy from a wealthy Albanian family. He never called me by name, instead always calling me “beautiful.” We talked for a few months via text message and Facebook chats.

Every conversation started with, “hi beautiful” or “hey beautiful.” It turned me on to date a wealthy guy who thought I was the most attractive woman he’d ever seen. He was always telling me how hot I was, and how he never thought a girl like me would be interested in a guy like him. The fact that he only praised my looks was a red flag, but, unfortunately, I mistook his words for admiration.

Eventually, he politely asked me out on a date. In person, he kissed me throughout the date, told me how beautiful I was, and even paid for my pizza. We were falling for each other, or so I thought.

There were several other red flags I had missed along the way.

Like the fact that one day, over text, he told me he was only interested in black girls. Initially, I didn’t think much of it. Instead, I thought back to when I was in elementary school and my best friend Donovan asked a white boy in class, Robert, whether he liked me or not. “No, I don’t date dark girls,” Robert said.

I was able to overlook my new guy’s infatuation with my blackness because I was hungry for the desirability and affection he was offering. It felt good to be sought out for the very thing that had caused me to be overlooked in the past.

If I were to meet someone of another race who “only dated black girls” today, I would handle things a lot differently. But at 18, the more he complimented me, the better I felt.

Another red flag was that despite his preference for black women, he told me his grandmother forbade him to date outside of his race. I wondered how that would go down if we became a serious couple.

The worst red flag of all was when he told me his family made fun of him for his infatuation with black girls. I imagined him sitting around the table with his family: “Hey, how’s school going?” His mother would say. “Did you get an A in biology? Oh, and please tell me you’re done chasing after those black girls.” I imagined his relatives laughing afterward. It made me cringe just thinking about it.

To him, I was “exotic” and sexy, but to them, I was an Albanian parent’s nightmare. I was curious, why was he so infatuated with what his family despised? What was this dude’s end game? Did he ever intend to be serious with a black girl, or did he get off on having sex with a girl his family found repulsive? I doubted he had the courage to introduce me or anyone who looked like me as a serious partner.

My suspicions were confirmed when I innocently asked him if he’d told his parents about us, like I’d told my mother about him before our date. I was sure he would say yes. Why wouldn’t he, if he liked me so much?

“No, I don’t think I’m ready to do that yet.”

I realized I was his dirty little secret. Funny how he had no problem asking me for sex on the first date, but when it came to meeting his family, he was unable to give me a straight answer. Turned out, the black skin that he found so appealing in the bedroom was not so appealing outside of it.

After our date, he disappeared and completely went off the grid. I was a wreck at first because I thought we had hit it off. An old friend of mine, who is African-American, told me that he also messaged her on Facebook. The message read: “hey cutie, i want to get to know you.” She didn’t respond to him, and was disgusted by how fast he hit on her after our fling. I was shocked at first, but then my shock turned to anger. All this time, the only thing I was to him was a sexual conquest, and now he was looking for another black girl to fixate on.

Though I was relieved my friend didn’t fall for his trap, I was even more relieved that I chose not to sleep with him or give him another chance when he came back into my life begging me to forgive him.

As I was transitioning from childhood to adulthood and beginning to understand the complexity of racism, I already knew that it was wrong to judge a person by the color of their skin. But it took this experience to understand that fetishizing a specific demographic is just as offensive.

Ultimately, a racial fetish is more than just a matter of preference or “having a type.” The real problem with them is that they reduce a whole, complicated person to one trait, leaving you never really sure if the fetishizer likes, or even sees you, for you who you really are. And there’s nothing flattering about that.

After that brief fling, I tend to be extra careful with who I bring in my life and in my bedroom. I keep my heart guarded if I feel my race is an issue or a fixation for anyone. My blackness is not a defect, nor is to be fetishized.

Moving through the dating world is a lot easier now, mostly due to my confidence and the fact that I know my worth and do not need anyone to validate me to feel beautiful. I love who I am and find myself attracted to men who love me back. Not for my skin color, but for who I am on the inside.

Whenever white guys approach me I always try to get beneath the veneer with regard to their preferences if they have particularly expressed them. Especially the ones who say “I prefer black women,” or “I only date black women.”

Some of them display their fetishes without even realising that they are doing it, or so it seems.

I want a man to like me for me not just because I happen to be black. These men have societal preconceived ideas about what a black woman should look / be / act like; like we’re all the same. It stems right back to slavery and the appeal of sampling the “forbidden fruit.”

It’s highly insulting.

Just some observations:

American dudes ain't telling their whole family including grandma about the first date chick and definitely not foreign born or first generation. In a whole lot of cultures if dude tells the fam about you that means ya'll getting married.

I'm married to a man whose first words to me were "Hello Beautiful", I missed the :censored: out of that red flag.

"Other" men who announce to their families that they like black women are not going to hide a black girlfriend. The announcement was to put the family on notice of what's coming. Notice the grandmother "forbade" him dating outside his race and lookey lookey at who he going on dates with. Funny how that works.

Black women have Tourette’s when it comes to the word fetish. OMG, he called me Toby, I mean beautiful FETISH! OMG, he’s only attracted to women who look like me FETISH! OMG, he wants to have sex on the first date, FETISH!!!!!

A whole lot of black women curious about IR should just keep it simple and stick with black men. Navigate the man territory you’re familiar with so there’s no misunderstandings about why dude is dating you.

In general, I think men see women as things and objects--either sex objects or things in their way. I'm glad she didn't have sex with that guy because she would have been crushed. Most guys don't see or care who a woman really is, especially at that age.

I've been dating outside my race for a very long time, My first boyfriend in elementary was Indian. It was a melting pot where I grew up at once once came to the US.

Growing up a lot of black guys tend to gravitate towards me because of my body. A lot of others for my skin. I could tell right off the bat those that like the skin color contrast and those that were serious.

Youre so chocolate. Don't we look good together. Wow, I just only date women of color because they look like you. Do you like vanilla ? I love chocolate. I've heard it all before.

I adore black men/men of color . They haven't always adored me.

Last edited:
I don't get it- she lived in New York City, not the Midwest. She never ventured outside her neighborhood to find 'the black people'? Especially since her family was Afrocentric-you would think that there would be more interaction with other black people and she wouldn't have had such low self esteem and lack of awareness when it came to the motives of her Albanian friend.

I don't get it- she lived in New York City, not the Midwest. She never ventured outside her neighborhood to find 'the black people'? Especially since her family was Afrocentric-you would think that there would be more interaction with other black people and she wouldn't have had such low self-esteem and lack of awareness when it came to the motives of her Albanian friend.

:lachen::lachen:

If she's on the Upper East, its a whole lot of black men above 116th and west of Malcolm X.

Just saying...:drunk:

That said, I second the comment that Albanian men are terrible.

Question for LHCF: Do you agree with the lady in the OP that this is a case of racial fetishism?

Most BW’s experiences regarding race fetish vs race preference are too nuanced for me to call.

I think it was in this case, but it seems like this fetish talk is used to scare off black women from dating interracially. Other women date whoever they want, and have a good time. Black women are given all of these limitations and fears, and are made to sit and watch from the side.

Now I've never met an Albanian, but I'm pretty sure I was on the bucket list of a beautiful spicy white man that I met from Naples. Good times were had by all :naughtycouch:

Whenever white guys approach me I always try to get beneath the veneer with regard to their preferences if they have particularly expressed them. Especially the ones who say “I prefer black women,” or “I only date black women.”

Some of them display their fetishes without even realising that they are doing it, or so it seems.

I want a man to like me for me not just because I happen to be black. These men have societal preconceived ideas about what a black woman should look / be / act like; like we’re all the same. It stems right back to slavery and the appeal of sampling the “forbidden fruit.”

It’s highly insulting.
I wish the Kardashians would be treated that way.
"Some" black men don't mind being apart of a fetish nor "some" white women.

I think because we are afforded the same protections as white women and the history of rape we just don't like it.

I don't like it as well. I don't find it to be a compliment but an expectation of his knows what based on his ignorance.

:lachen::lachen:

If she's on the Upper East, its a whole lot of black men above 116th and west of Malcolm X.

Just saying...:drunk:

That said, I second the comment that Albanian men are terrible.
She's not going that far on the UES. I have a feeling she's talking between the 60s to the 90s, right where the wealthy live.

UES is supposedly 59 to 96th street. Gentrification is blurring that line and making it expand now that wp are buying up apartments in Harlem, etc.
https://ny.curbed.com/2014/2/20/10141822/how-the-upper-east-side-grew-out-of-three-historic-enclaves

Regardless there are trains and even car shares, taxis, etc. The city is only like 13 miles from tip to tip so, she can find a black man if she really wanted to. She could visit the village for college men and/or visit Harlem as you mentioned . It's really not that hard :lol:

Last edited:
She's not going that far on the UES. I have a feeling she's talking between the 60s to the 90s, right where the wealthy live.

UES is supposedly 59 to 96th street. Gentrification is blurring that line and making it expand now that wp are buying up apartments in Harlem, etc.
https://ny.curbed.com/2014/2/20/10141822/how-the-upper-east-side-grew-out-of-three-historic-enclaves

Regardless there are trains and even car shares, taxis, etc. The city is only like 13 miles from tip to tip so, she can find a black man if she really wanted to. She could visit the village for college men and/or visit Harlem as you mentioned. It's really not that hard :lol:

That's my point, not that she already lived close/within Harlem. I know what the boundaries for the UES are. I was joking/half serious that she can easily travel north to the 100s to find a plethora of black me, granted they may not be at her SES.

That's my point, not that she already lived close/within Harlem. I know what the boundaries for the UES are. I was joking/half serious that she can easily travel north to the 100s to find a plethora of black me, granted they may not be at her SES.
I had little sleep :lol: . Forgive me :lachen: I re looked and it makes sense after a nap lol

Question for LHCF: Do you agree with the lady in the OP that this is a case of racial fetishism?
I'm torn between Maybe and No. The maybe is because all women represent something to the men whether they are attracted to them or not. The no is because I take issue with the premise that if a non black (or any) man is attracted to the physical characteristics of black women over all others that it is by default a fetish as opposed to good taste.
She was 18 when all of this happened.
That’s an important part of the story, IMO.
Another important part of the story that is unclear is how many times she went out with this dude because it reads as if they talked and texted a few times and went on one date.

This article made me laugh.

So Black men don't fetishsize Black women at all. To a lot of them it's all about the big a$$ isn't it.
Yep. Because of my small frame, I’ve always drawn non-BM MOC, including my SO who is Latino.

My nearly 20 year old baby sister has a similar frame as me and prefers BM (though she’s been interested in others) but finds a lot of them blatantly prefer women with more a$$ than her. A woman who did my hair a couple years ago, she was overweight but actively losing it. Her boyfriend/baby daddy told her not to lose too much weight because he still wants her to have curves and an a$$.

I’m not going to say racial fetishes aren’t a thing because they are. And I would’ve given SO a side eye if he only dated BW before we started dating. But let’s not act like black men are immune.

Last edited:
I think most men have a fetish of some kind, fetishes get problematic when you are made to feel like that's your only value to the person and feel denigrated. If that's not the case, go forward and prosper. I think it's hard for black women let go and be loved without politicizing it. And with the history in this country I can see that being an issue.

What's the difference between a fetish and a preference? Why when it comes to us it's a fetish, but a white dude who only dates blondes has a preference?

Having said that, I did date one guy in college who veered toward fetishsizing black women. He was a blond, blue eyed American with German ancestry. Many years later, he sought me out and apologized for his jerkish behavior back then. Older and wiser, he realized how he came off.

What's the difference between a fetish and a preference? Why when it comes to us it's a fetish, but a white dude who only dates blondes has a preference?

Having said that, I did date one guy in college who veered toward fetishsizing black women. He was a blond, blue eyed American with German ancestry. Many years later, he sought me out and apologized for his jerkish behavior back then. Older and wiser, he realized how he came off.
A preference is when there's something you prefer but can be open to something outside that. Like I prefer men with darker features, like eyes and hair. I've been attracted to men with lighter features but not usually and the attraction came after getting to know them.

A fetish is when you're drawn to someone precisely because they're from a particular group. For instance, my best friend from law school is Mexican, and her husband is Persian. When we first met and she was telling me about him, she said he blatantly refused to date Persian women when they met in college. (And sidetone: I can't believe how many Persians I've met who refuse to date their own--both men and women.) As I got to know him and his parents, it became clear the reason he doesn't date his own is because they wouldn't put up with a lot of the stuff he does. :look: When they were engaged, at a Halloween party her now husband got drunk and started initiating cheers to "all the hot Latina women." Now most of the women at this party were Latina and one of them got visibly uncomfortable and verbally called him out. There was a Guamanian woman there and we just looked at each other like "we ain't in this." :nono:

I think just by virtue of my looks, I get fetishized a lot, by all races. People are obsessed with light eyes and light hair on someone that doesn't look straight white. I think that has helped me weed out "fetishizers" right away.

I can't tell by the limited information from the OP, but IME I know I'm being fetishized when the man brings up my race or ethnicity right away. The men that don't have a fetish for my type actually seem to get kind of uncomfortable if I bring up race...like it wasn't even on their mind. They were trying to get to know me for me, and I was the one that made it awkward, you know?

I don't think I've ever said this next thing to anyone but my Mom, but IME Black men have had a fetish for me way more than white men. White guys have usually treated me with way more respect than Black guys. I hate to even say that, but it's true. I wouldn't have ever admitted that to myself unless my Mom had pointed it out. She's pretty notoriously anti-interracial dating, so when she told me she finally understood why I dated white guys (because they were the only ones nice to me :lachen:) it opened my eyes.

As it stands, I'm happily dating another light-skinned, light-eyed Black and we spend a good amount of time telling each other if we'd met when we were younger, we'd never be attracted to each other. :laugh:

My personal experience with black guys is they don't mind women fetishizing them.

White women that I have known liked it as well.

I think the history of America's treatment of black women is the reason we don't like to be fetishized.
Yeah I think black women should chill with suspecting anyone who is not black of fetishing bw because they are attracted to them.

I also think being repulsed by being fetishized is a good thing. Gotta be picky about who you date/marry, ain't nobody trying to duplicate the high divorce rate of bm/ww.

Back