February 2005 Hits and Misses

Re: February Hits and Misses

Hits:

Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion - originally it was a miss as a leave-in, but works beautifully on dry hair.

Vita E/Placenta (Glass Vial) Conditioner by Laboratios Dr. Collado - wow this stuff is great! I need more, but I don't know where to get it - bought it in NY.

Star Placenta de Oveja Leave-In - softens/silkens texture - similar to Lacio Lacio, but has Sheep Placenta.

Palmers Vitamin A, D, E Grease - something about this grease... I use it on my hair/ends before conrowing when I let my hair rest. I just love it!

Surge Hair Revitalizer Plus 14 spiked with Essencia de Canela (Cinnamon) and Peppermint Spirits (from a Dominican beauty supply) - makes your scalp feel sooooooo good.

Misses:

Surge Power Wash - it's final and official - and I hate this stuff - dish detergent in a shampoo bottle!

Hits:
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner

Misses:
None

Monister

HITS:

My replica of CDHHB/with
-Pure cocoa/shea Butter
-Coconut oil

Homemade spray Moisturiser/with
-Pure glycerin mixed with s-curl/fantasia/infusium leave-ins

Rediscovered Hit:Creme of nature shampoo

NO MISSES SO FAR

Hits:
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream

Misses:
S-Curl

Hits:
:up: Surge Lotion Motion #9 - great pre poo or steam conditioning oil
:up: ORS Olive Oli Lotion - So far the only thing that makes my braid out work, but may be to heavy for summer use.
:up: Salerm Biomarine treatment (pH 2.9) - really calming down the frizzies
:up: Fructis Long & Strong conditioner
:up: Fructis Long & Strong Ends Treatment - :up: :up: I always have trouble in the winter keeping my ends healthy and this really helped. An A++ keeper

No Misses

Last edited:

only hits this month : Paul Mitchell instant moisture line including the shampoo, conditioner and detangler, also the foaming pomade for rollersets. Because of all the moisture I'm getting I don't need to deep condition (for 30min) every week anymore !!

Allandra said:
:yay: Another hit on the 'secret serum'. :yay:

My heart is beginning to radiate some warmth again! lol

*why does the dancing banana....kill me so??? lol*

Hits:
Garneir Fructis Long & Strong Leave In
Elucence Mositure Benefits Shampoo, Volume Clarifying Shampoo, and Moisture Balancing Conditioner-had samples laying around and now I'm hooked
Keracare Conditioner-see above
phony ponies

Jury still out:
Revlon Realstic Relaxer

Misses:
Sheamoisture Leave-in - made my hair hard and plasticky and the smell got to me after a while
UBH Conditioner -- its alright but I will be sticking to my homemade Cathy Howse recipe -- its much better
AO GPB -- will be sticking to homemade Cathy Howse recipe, it's much better
LUST -- Kenra MC gave me more slip, its not worth the money
Karite -- french shea butter conditioner that I sampled, it wasnt so great.

Hits:
Kenra MC
UBH Moisturizer

Jury's still out on:
Mane N Tail Detangler - its alright but rosewater might do just as good a job at detangling

laketta said:
I tried shea butter yet again

and again my hair had a fit and tangled on me.

I do not know why shea butter does not work for my natural hair. So its a complete miss.
it didnt work for me either until I heated in a double boiler for hours and then mixed it with some oil the resulting pomade has done wonders for my hair look in the recipes section of the board that where i found out about this.

My hit for the month is the jilbere shower detangling comb. I finally got one last night and was like 'whoa!' It's a keeper!

No misses.

I have got to be the only person to list this as a miss, but I'd have to say mane and Tail conditioner. It just didn't live up to the hype. I'm going to give it one more try though. Maybe I left it in for too long. I slept on it.

bellydancer said:
I have got to be the only person to list this as a miss, but I'd have to say mane and Tail conditioner. It just didn't live up to the hype. I'm going to give it one more try though. Maybe I left it in for too long. I slept on it.
It has protein in it. I personally would never sleep in a protein conditioner, or even some moisturizing conditioners, but I will let more experienced people speak about this. I didnt think much of it when I used it years ago, but I now use it as part of the Cathy Howse conditioner recipe -- which basically adds about a cup and a half of oil to it -- and it works great.

Hits:
Surge
wgo
kemi oyl
vo5 conditioning cream
smooth and shine hair polisher
motions cpr,frutics garnier 5 min deep.cond,
carrot oil(grease)lol
shampoo comb tha widest teeth!!yeah

misses:none...yet

Last edited:

It seems like every 6 months, my hair changes its mind on the products I use so I've been on a product binge lately. Thankfully, it's over and my hair is behaving again. So here are the products I have tried or revisited:

Hits:
Fantasia IC Gel with Sparklelites
Fantasia Frizz Buster Gel
S Curl Texturing Gel (really impressive gel)
BTZ Noodlehead
Proclaim Glossing Spray
Proclaim 7 Oil
Carol's Daughter Ginger Mango Fruit Whip (excellent choice for those who hate the separating of hair milk or the thickness of hair butter)
Apple Pectin Gel

Jury Still Out:
ISO Bouncy Cream
Citre Shine Gel
Citre Shine Extra Hold Gel
Citre Shine Glossing Pomade
Salon Selective Molding Putty

Misses
Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade - It doesn't foam. I just don't think it does anything. Waste of money.

bellydancer said:

co-signing with tryn2growmyhair if what I just read is true...I had to re-read it to make sure you were saying you slept...overnight I'm taking it....with a protein conditioner on your head.

There are a lot of ladies on this board far more knowledgeable than I...but...umm..I would say...that probably wasn't a good move for the follicles.

If your hair is okay with light protein conditioners...perhaps you could try it once more...leaving it on for a waaaaaaaay shorter amount of time...check your results then.

If you still don't like...the product may simply not agree with your hair...and that's okay too.:)

hits:
Adore semi permenant color in black velvet
ultra nourishair
l-cysteine
infusium 23 max. body leave in
adding garlic powder to my shampoo for shedding

Misses
none

hairlove said:
Misses
Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade - It doesn't foam. I just don't think it does anything. Waste of money.
I wonder if you got a bad bottle because when I used this product, it sure did foam. I would place some in the palm of my hand, rub my palms together and it would foam quite a bit. I hope you can take it back.

sylver2 said:
exactly what mona said,,,NOOOOOOO!! not the mask..lol
The mask is ok..its like any other basic conditioner to me, although it works well for others. It comes no where close to the wonders of the NTM Daily Deep Conditioner which is what I use.

Ok, ok! I'll give the DDC a try on my next product binge and cross my fingers. If the mask is any indication of the rest of the product line, I don't have great expectations for the DDC but I'm willing to give it a try based solely on your and Mona's recommendations. I'll let you know how my hair likes it.

Robin41 said:
Ok, ok! I'll give the DDC a try on my next product binge and cross my fingers. If the mask is any indication of the rest of the product line, I don't have great expectations for the DDC but I'm willing to give it a try based solely on your and Mona's recommendations. I'll let you know how my hair likes it.

Thank you Robin41 for giving our treasured moisturizing product another go. We'll look out for your feedback.;)

This month I've rediscovered Mizani.

When I used it in the past my hair was in great shape but I let my PJism get the best of me. I'm about ten weeks post retouch and was struggling with dryness and starting to see breakage. Since starting to use Mizani again last week I can tell a big difference in the moisture level. Also my hair is a bit easier to comb and I'm not seeing little hairs on my clothes anymore. When I comb there are only very few hairs on the comb, I test them for elasticity and strength and noticed a big difference since using Mizani.

Hits
* Rusk Sensories Smoother
* Salerm Wheat Germ Mask
* Pure Hair Meadowfoam Styling Mousse
* Some of Margurite's Magic

Misses
911 Emergency Moisturizing Lotion

Hit:Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-in Cream

Miss: Glover's Dandruff Control Medicine