Fast Rollersetters, do you roll upwards?

lonei

I ask because after trying to roll upwards, it was a bit tricky at first but I feel like it would be a lot quicker as you dont have the trouble of holding the hair stight up in the air at a perfect angle. What do you think, whats your length and setting time?

Thanks

I'm natural 4b and I roll upwards because it gets the roots much straighter. I am APL when stretched or pressed.

It takes me about 20 to complete a rollerset. I've been doing it for a lot of years though. I roll downwards in the front but upwards from the crown of my down.

when i used to do rollersets, i always rolled upwards. i dont think i ever even tried rolling down. And it only took me about 30 min or so.

sunshinebeautiful said:
I'm a newbie, so I'm curious... What do you mean by rolling upwards? And what does rolling upwards do for your rollerset?

Its a bit hard to explain, I normally rollerset downwards, but rollersetting upwards means that you put the roller on top of the hair and roll up, rather than underneath and roll down. Think about it in terms of the way you make a flip, i.e., how you would flip your hair with a curling iron...I just think it may be quicker than rolling downwards.

lonei said:
Its a bit hard to explain, I normally rollerset downwards, but rollersetting upwards means that you put the roller on top of the hair and roll up, rather than underneath and roll down. Think about it in terms of the way you make a flip, i.e., how you would flip your hair with a curling iron...I just think it may be quicker than rolling downwards.

OK, that makes sense to me. So when you take out your rollers, is your hair flipped?

My hair is past my shoulders and it usually takes one hour under the dryer. I've always rolled upwards. When I have new growth, I usually have to use a flat iron to straighten it, but I love rollersets! My hair is so much healthier now that I've started rollersetting.

sunshinebeautiful said:
OK, that makes sense to me. So when you take out your rollers, is your hair flipped?

If you had short hair it would be, but if you have long hair, it just forms a ringlet, but slightly different from the ringlets you get when you roll under. Look at my lonei album in April and you will see rolled downwards curls and in my lonei3 album November, you will see upwards curls (after the rollers have been taken down.

I rolled my hair up once, to get straighter roots (per Macherieamour's technique) and it worked pretty well. I didn't pay attention to how long it took or if it was faster than rolling under. I'd have to try this again and time it.

I used to always roll downwards, but since visiting a Dom salon started rolling upward. I find this to be easier to positioning the clips and to hold them in place. Now I have difficulty rolling downward :ohwell: . Plus I love the flip you get from rolling upward.

Sweetalmondeyes said:
I used to always roll downwards, but since visiting a Dom salon started rolling upward. I find this to be easier to positioning the clips and to hold them in place. Now I have difficulty rolling downward :ohwell: . Plus I love the flip you get from rolling upward.

Thats exactly what I mean

Back