Experiences with OKCupid, PlentyofFish, or other free dating sites

FtrDrO

After reading some of these threads, I'm considering looking into online dating and I figured that I would start with free sites, as you really have little to lose. I've heard of these two sites mentioned somewhere and was wondering if any of you could share your experiences with them, or other free dating sites you've used. tia!

i am an active member of POF and i love love love it :yep:

everything is totally free, but you have so many options and filters available

like you can set it so only men of a certain age or relationship status can contact you. there are also good questions in the profile setup, like if you smoke or drink. plus they give you a lot of options for the "seeking" category (hang out, long-term, talk/e-mail etc...)

i also like that you can embed music and post links to your other accounts, like your yahoo or myspace (i know some paid sites that don't even let you do this!). you can also IM for free (with webcam, if you please) and you can even make an anonymous phone call to another user.

there's also forums (quite entertaining indeed! :lol:) and the moderator actually addresses issues that the members have.

as you can see, i am a huge fan :D

i love online dating...so much fun!

Last edited:
Plentyoffish guys are mostly losers. The free sites always attract the psychos so you just have a lot more guys to weed out.

i am an active member of POF and i love love love it :yep:

everything is totally free, but you have so many options and filters available

like you can set it so only men of a certain age or relationship status can contact you. there are also good questions in the profile setup, like if you smoke or drink. plus they give you a lot of options for the "seeking" category (hang out, long-term, talk/e-mail etc...)

i also like that you can embed music and post links to your other accounts, like your yahoo or myspace (i know some paid sites that don't even let you do this!). you can also IM for free (with webcam, if you please) and you can even make an anonymous phone call to another user.

there's also forums (quite entertaining indeed! :lol:) and the moderator actually addresses issues that the members have.

as you can see, i am a huge fan :D

i love online dating...so much fun!

**My experiences with OkCupid: My SO moved to my city in February of 2011 a couple of weeks before our 3 year anniversary. Still going strong!:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic Pink n Green....congratulations on almost hitting a year!! So Pink and Weave, could you guys share any tips on how you go about filtering the "losers" that sunbasque mentioned? Since you guys clearly have success. :yep: I'm will be a newbie to the online thing.

I just signed up for singlesnet.com. That's the very first online dating site I signed up for. :rolleyes: Very interesting. :lol: Maybe I'll trying POF.

Ive been on POF since october. Ive been on a few dates with very nice men.

Nothing has worked out yet. But Im very picky at the same time, im getting around the age that its time for me to start being serious about the men that i date.

I tried eHarmony, I liked it at first...then I realized that too many of those men where looking for a hay ride. I was disappointed by that. I also got alot of White men when I really wanted Black men (<-----and they had too many issues for my patience) I'm going to give it a try again not now I'm focused on other things right now). You'll learn a whole lot about what you like and what you don't like. Eharmony has a good set up to help you learn.

Last edited:
I actually met my fiance on POF. You have to weed through, but if you keep your filters up, you can toss aside the rats easily.

Did any of you try to use sites to do background checks or confirm people's identity? I know a few people suggested it on other threads.

i used to be on POF i like the site and might join again

my friend met her husband on there

I get quite a few responses on POF. There are more people of color on there. They even have a "non Caucasian" search option.

Signed up w/ OkCupid this week, lots of white guys. The profile is like filling out a job application oh and then you answer a bunch of those quiz questions. Not much action on there so far. Maybe it's just not that popular around here.

I like POF more so far.

Oh damn....

I knew this guy looked familiar. I used to chat with him on Black Planet.

He remembered me, but I didn't remember him.

I haven't been on BP in years!

^^^ I got a response less than 3 minutes after finishing my profile.

I was like damn! LOL.

Girl I just signed up yesterday and my mailbox is almost full. :lol: I'm not attracted to any of the guys tho so I haven't really been responding. :ohwell: I don't know what to say. IRL it's easy to lie and just say you have a boyfriend. :lachen: Can't exactly do that on an internet dating site. :ohwell: Maybe this internet dating thing isn't for me. :sad:

Girl I just signed up yesterday and my mailbox is almost full. :lol: I'm not attracted to any of the guys tho so I haven't really been responding. :ohwell: I don't know what to say. IRL it's easy to lie and just say you have a boyfriend. :lachen: Can't exactly do that on an internet dating site. :ohwell: Maybe this internet dating thing isn't for me. :sad:

LOL. Aiight, playa playa!! :lachen:

Yeah, I usually just don't respond either, but I kind of feel bad doing that.

LOL. Aiight, playa playa!! :lachen:

Yeah, I usually just don't respond either, but I kind of feel bad doing that.

:lol: I WISH I was a playa! :lachen: So I guess that ignoring is generally what people do when someone's not interested and guys just get the idea?

:lol: I WISH I was a playa! :lachen: So I guess that ignoring is generally what people do when someone's not interested and guys just get the idea?

Pretty much, LOL.

IDK, I guess since it's the internet it's easy to just ignore folks and K.I.M.

IRL, I'll just say I'm not interested.

Yep. Some guys can turn into complete psychos when you let them down gently. If you're not interested it's better to just keep it moving.

Also wanted to add that I'm on OkCupid. I've met lots of great guys (though no one I would consider dating) and the matching system really makes it easy to identify folks that are worth talking to.

Plentyofish turns up mostly past 3 day old fish, those guys look very fishy to me and their responses seem strange! I like E-Harmony..it's not free but I like the selection and the process a whole lot better. I make my money and I like that men on E-Harmony profess to be working men {most with earning jobs-YES..a man who earns as much or more than me is very important to me} and I can read their likes and dislikes and more importantly I can read what is vital in life to them so I can choose or discard according to interests and perceived character. On-line dating is really no big difference from meeting on the street or at a function..you still have to be a sharp sister and use your God given ESP.

^^^Girl, I mean really.

Since I try to avoid men with kids, that's a big *** red flag to me to keep it moving.

Ridiculous.

I joined POF 2 days ago and like it so far. There was just that one guy who said he wanted to know me but kept begging me to come to his place "to hang out" and have some tea/ coffee because it's too cold outside; we all know what that means

Guys on there are soo eager to invite you to their place the first time you talk or maybe it's just in my area..

Last edited:
I joined POF 2 days ago and like it so far. There was just that one guy who said he wanted to know me but kept begging me to come to his place "to hang out" and have some tea/ coffee because it's too cold outside; we all know what that means

Guys on there are soo eager to invite you to their place the first time you talk or maybe it's just in my area..

yeah, maybe it's just your area
i haven't had any problems like that

Back