Experiences with OKCupid, PlentyofFish, or other free dating sites

Why you not comfortable is it because you don't want him with your real number? If that's the reason if you have a smartphone just use one those free texting services.
It's because I just want to take things at a snail's pace and see if I'm feeling him enough to give him my phone #

I joined plenty of fish today and noticed the guys send very short messages in comparison to eharmony and okcupid. I'm assuming the guys may not be as serious on POF

^^^
I put at least a 50 character minimum for POF, and that prevents a lot of those undesirable "ay yo ma" times from messaging.

oh we can do that? cool...I am going to put one, cause 'hey what's up?' is so annoying...
or 'you look good, hit me' like really?

I joined plenty of fish today and noticed the guys send very short messages in comparison to eharmony and okcupid. I'm assuming the guys may not be as serious on POF
I don't know how short the messages are (shouldn't be wassup lady silly stuff short) but put yourself in the position of the guys they don't want to write long messages when some girls they send them to just seethe pic and delete them. I know I would be upset doing that and Im willing to think so would most of us esp if it happens over and over. Now once you reply (if you do) and it was still short cool but sometimes we gotta cut people some slack. I know this cause I have male friends that do this and that was their reasoning for why.

I haven't had many guys send me short messages like that. I've then write at least a paragraph. One guy even wrote me some corny poem.

wow, see I used to get thoughtful messages on okcupid and match (idk why I said eharmony earlier lol)...but on POF all short as if they don't expect a response...

but maybe its just too early to judge, I've only been on POF for a day now.

Val that's wonderful. which site did you say you used and i want to try it one day but im a little nervous, any advice?

chocolatedoll18 Plenty of fish. I only stayed on there for 6 days then I deleted my profile. Met this guy the same day I opened the account.. went out to lunch 2 days later and we've been going out 2 to 3 times a week since. It will be a month since out first date on Sunday.

In the 6 days I got over 118 messages and unfortunately only 4 got a response from me. I went out with 3 out of the 4 guys one time each. 2 of them I only saw once. They were both 28 and they both need to grow up. One was a very nice young man who would be better suited for a younger woman. The other was a douche who needs to get a grip on himself. I kept going out with the one who is older (36) and much more mature. A decent guy and a real gentleman. He's cute too! A lot and I repeat A LOT of the dudes on there are not worth the effort.

Just be cautious and you'll be fine.

SweetNic_JA and racheljay1985...how do u meet men on CL? Is it like an AD on personals? Do u have to repost it everyday?

scarcity21, I never got the notification about this tag.

To answer your question, I've posted in the Women seeking Men section. I would put up a straightforward, honest, neutral (nothing flirty) post stating who I am and what I'm looking for - and what I am not looking for. I also always include a picture - one which doesn't show the face, but is not flirty/sexual.

It's been a while since I've done it, but it can work like a charm.

I don't know how short the messages are (shouldn't be wassup lady silly stuff short) but put yourself in the position of the guys they don't want to write long messages when some girls they send them to just seethe pic and delete them. I know I would be upset doing that and Im willing to think so would most of us esp if it happens over and over. Now once you reply (if you do) and it was still short cool but sometimes we gotta cut people some slack. I know this cause I have male friends that do this and that was their reasoning for why.

I will honestly say that I originally put that setting on my profile and quickly took it back off after I messaged someone. :lachen:I started typing and ended up looking like :look: y da hell am I still typing.

I don't think it's a bad setup but I know I wouldn't be going through all that either.

I've been talking to 2 guys.

first guy is black, software engineer, 36, never married, no kids.... pretty sweet and funny but I detect a bit of a control freak nature.. we've been texting a lot so things can get misunderstood via text.... we're meeting tomorrow evening to play mini golf.

The other is Caucasian, architect, 39, never married, no kids.... talked on the phone twice... very easy to talk to, I like his sense of humor.

I went out with the architect for the first time last night. We went to a happy hour spot in the early evening and had drinks and appetizers. I only had a mojito, then I drank sprite the rest of the night. Conversation was good... we have common interests and he's a really cool guy.

I still like the first one better though. I'm meeting him for dinner tomorrow evening.

I think it depends on your location. The pickings are very slim as far as quality guys in my area. I've tried okc and pof, with no luck. I'm in the Seattle area, where dating sucks in general.

Just joined POF a few days ago and I can say it's pretty good lots of attractive men who seem to have it together for the most part. There's always creepers online you just have to be careful with anything I'm looking forward to seeing what prospects are out there for me. I think I will delete my account soon if I meet a couple of guys and we hit it off because I'm not really looking for anything serious. I mostly created my account because my friend mentioned she joined and one of our mutual friends started dating a girl he met off of there a couple of months back.

Dating has always been difficult for me I feel like every guy I meet in person nothing ever works out. Online dating seems to be a much easier process for me IMHO I guess because it allows you to pre-screen people and cut out the crap from the get go.

I had profiles on BPM, POF and a long time ago Match and eHarmony. The latter two I got nothing but rich old white guys or young white guys with young kids.

I've met too many scammers, fakes and overall jokes on BPM and POF....however......I met my current SO on BPM in 2007. We went out once and didn't connect.

After I ended my last relationship I went back on BPM. He saw me and said we went out in 2007, but I didn't believe him. I just couldn't see how I would have not wanted to date someone so good looking. Turns out he had weight loss surgery and looks nothing like he did in 2007. He was handsome then but for whatever reason it wasn't a love connection.

He got married and divorced since that time and he too had just gotten back on the site. Anyway we are now officially a couple and I couldn't be happier.

Back