Experiences with OKCupid, PlentyofFish, or other free dating sites

I'm sorry ladies, but when I was looking, I had wonderful luck on Craigslist. I developed friendships or dated doctors, young execs, PhD candidates who were all unmarried/childless. You just have to be really really selective, and control the message you put out. Wishing you luck, but you don't have to pay to find a great match online.

I remember years ago I tried Match and I also met some interesting guys there. One was Ivy Grad School - former Wall street, one was just finishing up residency at an Ivy med ... However, I had better luck with CL.

Good luck!

I've tried CL with great luck always, and with POF I just had a lot of dates but didn't really connect with anyone until last year. When I was a freshmen in college I used POF to "get by" with free meal dates :teehee However, I was living in the DMV so a lot of the men were professionals. Eventually I moved away and wanted something a bit more serious. I wasn't really marriage minded at the time and DH totally surprised me . I met my DH on POF in a city that was new to me and I didn't even like and we're happy and married now a little over a year later.

I just signed up for singlesnet.com. That's the very first online dating site I signed up for. :rolleyes: Very interesting. :lol: Maybe I'll trying POF.

I tried singlesnet.com and liked it at first because of the massive amount of emails I first got (about 300 within the first 3 or 4 days of subscribing). Unfortunately, that's about as good as it got for me. 99% of the men on that site are either ugly or crazy.

Any more stories? I thought I had found someone but it didn't work out. It's tough, starting to think I'm meant to be single for the rest of my life. I recently joined POF a few months ago. The guys are REALLY agressive. And not very patient. Some really cute guys on their but they seem to just be there for dating not looking for anything serious. Can someone list websites including Black and interracial sites.

I think instead of jumping into anything serious, I will just date and see what I like. I really like you ladies attitude.

Last edited:
POF is to me a place that will make an ugly girl feel like a movie star...:lachen: The men act hungry! I will say if you want to interracial date it's a good place to start. I've gotten most hits from white and latino men.

POF is to me a place that will make an ugly girl feel like a movie star...:lachen: The men act hungry! I will say if you want to interracial date it's a good place to start. I've gotten most hits from white and latino men.

Yes they are very hungry. Don't get that, I think it's how it's set up or something. Not those most patient lot. That's why it's good to have a profile on several sites.

I met a nice guy on OKC. I've been seeing him for about two months. Fortunately I didn't have to trawl undesirables for ages either although I received the expected silly responses. He sent me a decent message and we took it from there. I didn't expect to meet anyone suitable at all so it's been a pleasant surprise.

Humph. Okcupid may be "free," but nothing is really free. They let people join "free" so that they could collect information and put out a "study" that said men don't respond to black women. Like what was the point of that?

If people had known what their info would be used for, I doubt they would have even joined the site.

My point is please tread carefully and read the terms/privacy policy closely with these "free" dating sites.

*steps off soapbox*

lol. OKCupid does a bunch of little studies. I think a lot of the info is helpful though.. and interesting. The one you're talking about didn't just say black women don't get responses though. People who use twitter are more likely to masturbate, and have shorter relationships. Lol those tidbits are more interesting than useful, but they do post information that is pertinent to online dating. The OK Trends blog is here: http://blog.okcupid.com/

So true. I just started interracially dating through POF. White/Latin/Asian men NEVER approach me, then they decide to get all bold online :lol:

POF is a pretty good site though. I've gone on waaaay too many dates with incredibly gorgeous men, but it's time to give it a rest soon since I haven't actually been in a relationship with anyone on there...

I joined OK cupid...out of curiosity...and went on a date...out of curiosity....with someone and we really hit it off.
We've been together for a year and 2 months now.

OMG POF is hilarious. I created a profile after reading this thread. Less than a minute after uploading the pic I started receiving emails and IM requests.

Some dude want to be my "white tiger rrrrrr"
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

between the time I signed up at 1pm and now I've had over 40 men message me. Only 3 look like they're worth anything.

between the time I signed up at 1pm and now I've had over 40 men message me. Only 3 look like they're worth anything.

It's funny aint it? You get the most hits when you are fresh meat and just joined.

Then it starts to taper off and your profile won't show up as new, top rotation unless you add more/change your pics.

I signed up for POF last night after seeing this thread and I've gotten close to 50 hits already... From ALL nationalities!!!! This one guy I chatted with told me that the men can get pretty vulgar... Thankfully no one has approached me in that manner. So we'll see how this goes! This is my first time trying online dating....

I've really liked OKC so far. I actually like it better than match.com which costs a small fortune...
Based on what others have posted, I'm not sure I'd like POF :nono:

HELP! I've gone into panic mode. One of the guys I've been messaging on OKC wants to text me. I'm really not comfortable with that. How can I nicely decline? I don't mind the OKC messaging though.

HELP! I've gone into panic mode. One of the guys I've been messaging on OKC wants to text me. I'm really not comfortable with that. How can I nicely decline? I don't mind the OKC messaging though.
Tell him you're not comfortable and would prefer to keep all communication on the site for now.

Has anyone ever took the initiative and winked at a guy or sent a message first?

Yeah once or twice and it never works out.

Why you not comfortable is it because you don't want him with your real number? If that's the reason if you have a smartphone just use one those free texting services.

I've been talking to 2 guys.

first guy is black, software engineer, 36, never married, no kids.... pretty sweet and funny but I detect a bit of a control freak nature.. we've been texting a lot so things can get misunderstood via text.... we're meeting tomorrow evening to play mini golf.

The other is Caucasian, architect, 39, never married, no kids.... talked on the phone twice... very easy to talk to, I like his sense of humor.

Has anyone ever took the initiative and winked at a guy or sent a message first?

Yes, about 1.5-2 weeks ago. We messaged back and forth for a few days, talked on the phone for HOURS over the weekend, met up once (Sunday), and he wants to hang out again tonight...

Back