Engagement Rings Rules Inspiration if you're not engaged)

Kamilah

Ladies,

I just got engaged and my man did really well in choosing my ring. I was wondering, what kinds of rings do you all like/have? White gold? Yellow gold? Platinum? Solitare? Side stones? What cuts do you like? Minimum carats? Do the other C's matter to you ( clarity, cut, color)? Cathedral settings?

I ask because I feel like I never see people with the rings that are common in the chain jewelers, and they also didn't carry the kind of ring I wanted so...what do folks wear?

Feel free to post pics...of what you have or what you want!

Also, for those who are engaged/married, did he pick it himself? Is it what you wanted? Did you hint at what you want?

Details women!
Me:....I'm a 1 ct radiant cut in an isolated pronged setting (but not cathedral), with 6 channel set princess cuts on the side. Two small rounds on the front, back sides of the setting.White gold, antique styled engraving along the sides below the channel sets. I'll add a pic shortly.

Not engaged but CONGRATULATIONS! Dont know when its going to be my time or if I will ever have a time but Im going to hint that the minimum size needs to be at least 2 cts. :grin: Anything less Im going to hurt his feelings when I upgrade myself. :ohwell:

Congratulations!!! :grin: Even though I showed DH what I liked MULTIPLE times, he still INSISTED on my being physically present when he placed the order. ;) I've always been a fan of round stones and white gold so I asked for (and received :)) a 1 1/2 carat white gold set with a prong-set round center stone and round diamonds in a channel setting in both the wedding and engagement rings.

As much as I like the elaborate vintage/antique/pave settings and fancy cuts, my dream engagement ring is still a round, near-flawless stone in a 4-6prong setting on a regular 18k gold band (like the Tiffany's cut). It's just *me* :rolleyes:

Re: size-- I'll take a better quality small stone (that sparkles!) over a huge, gaudy, cloudy one. Quality over quantitiy (although 1.5+ carats is preferred :lol: )

And I'd like a really traditional gold wedding band as well.

Congratulations.
I was in engaged broke it off 7-5-08. I thank God for that.

My engagement ring was a Diamond Heart. It was so pretty and had 3 diamonds in a cresent moon shape. Sorry no pictures I gave it back to him in September 08.

See my Avatar. That is my Next Wedding set! My friend had that same set I saw her Friday. It is comming =)

Congratulations again.

You know, I've never even thought about my wedding or the engagement ring.
I always dream about life after the wedding.
I'm too lazy to think about the other stuff which involves actual planning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought about what I want in an engagement ring, however; I know what I don't want. I have 4ct. blue sapphire that I used to wear constantly but I stopped because I kept banging the stone on everything - the care door, the shopping cart, my arm, my leg, etc.. So I know that smaller ring is more manageable for eveyday wear - maybe 2 or 1.5 carats, white gold, with a square shaped diamond. All my rings are basically the same style.

I'm not engaged, but I have yet to have a male friend or friend of a friend who's picked out the ring on his own - which I think is cute.

...2 of my close male friends have all enlisted the help of a "squad" - taking different people on different days and getting ideas on what's good and what's not. BUT ultimately making the purchase by himself.

I think it would be such an amazing thing to be a salesperson helping these men out with their purchases - just because there is obviously so much emotion and feeling behind the purchase. It's got to be cute to witness...

Back