End of Summer '08 Waist Length Challenge!!

Well, I'm new to this challenge, but I'm doing ok - I think:ohwell:. I'm getting a retouch(texturizer) on March 12th, which has been roughly 8 months since my last one. I'm anxious to see how much length I've gained, but I'm thinking I may not be able to keep it all since I haven't had a good trim in a while (I'll be trimming myself). Anyway - that's where I'm at:0).

Oh! And not checking the growth works wonders - I used to check almost weekly too and it drove me nuts, now I tuck it away and don't even bother looking - it really does help, because when you finally do take a look again you can say, " wow, I guess my hair really does grow:grin::yay:"!
We'll see how it works for me:grin:

I'm doing pretty good. I will be relaxing in 3 or 4 weeks. I'm inching up on Midback. My sides of my hair that are in the front are touching my nips. I should be there in May.I will use a tape measure to check. But we will see. My ends are holding up very nicely without trimming. I'm still in aww. They are as soft as the rest of my hair.
Good for you mariposa!! Can't wait to see your results!!

I just relaxed my NG today....2 inches of it!!!:grin: I'm happy I bounced back from that last rule-breaking trim :blush: (promise I won't do it again). I think I'll be able to claim MBL ladies, the longest layers are touching my nips YAAAAAAYYY!:lachen:I wanted to stretch a little longer, but I started to notice some dryness underneath the sew-in.

Bumping for all challengers.................how are you ladies coming along?

I'm experiencing a lot of shedding recently. I don't know if its because of my change in diet. (I haven't been eating healthy recently.) I'm not sure what it is but I lose a lot of hair each day. My ends are forming single knots and getting strands getting caught in other splits. sigh.

I can't wait to slap some braids in and forget about it for awhile. I will dust my ends right before I braid. I am happy to hear that everyone else is doing well though.

I just relaxed my NG today....2 inches of it!!!:grin: I'm happy I bounced back from that last rule-breaking trim :blush: (promise I won't do it again). I think I'll be able to claim MBL ladies, the longest layers are touching my nips YAAAAAAYYY!:lachen:I wanted to stretch a little longer, but I started to notice some dryness underneath the sew-in.

Qt, what's your routine for taking care of your hair under a weave? I need some pointers for my mom.

Well, I can't believe it but March 12th is right around the corner and it will have been over 8 months since my last texturizer. I'm nervous but excited - I just want everything to turn out right:look:. I'm hoping once this NG is done, I'll really get a good feel for how much further I have to go to get to waist. I love being tall ya'll, but man, seems like my back keeps growin' or somethin', lol:perplexed. Anyway, we'll see.

Last edited:
Challenger checking in. Well, I'm no where near waistlength. But as I mentioned before I joined this challenge to push myself to be consistent with attending to my hairs needs as my biggest problem has been retaining length (I've had issues in the past with hair neglect and occasional reckless hair behavior :look:).

So when I joined the challenge I was between shoulder length and armpit length. Now my hair is starting to pass armpit length. Next stop, bra strap! Just gotta keep on taking good care of the ends (and of course all of my hair in general).

Last edited:
Qt, what's your routine for taking care of your hair under a weave? I need some pointers for my mom.

Sorry it took so long to respond Silverlotus!:blush:

I wash and deep condition the braids underneath once every 1-2 weeks. I do this by taking a coloring bottle and filling it w/ diluted poo and squeezing it into the braids. Then I dilute some conditioner and either let it sit overnight, or put a plastic cap on and sit under a dryer. I moisturize my hair every other day as well. Also, when styling the weave make sure your mom dosent pull too hard on the extensions. Since they are attached to her hair, pulling on the tracks can cause damage. PM me if I can help you a little more!:yep:

How is everyone doing? Are you making good pregress so far?

I did a rollerset today after COwashing for a week. I just realized the other day that I'm 12 weeks post:blush:. But I wont be relaxing until 14 weeks post( the 31st). I have a good amount of newgrowth. My hair seems to be transforming into a V shape:yawn:. So one day last week I saw my Husbands tape measure( you know, the stiff one they use as a tool:grin:) I called myself measuring how far I was from waist. I did it one day after COwashing and stretched my hair and the thing said 2 inches from Waist :blush:. So I did it today while it was dry and it said 2 1/2 inches away from WL. I have come to realize that I have an average torso and long legs. from the bottom of my bra strap to my waist is 5 inches. So I guess I might just claim Midback although I'm scared that I'm not mid back:look::spinning:( yeah I know crazy). We will just see when I get my relaxer. I added a new sigg pic from todays rollerset. And I will be posting another pic on April 13 for or reveal(which is a month away):grin: and I can't wait to see everyones pictures.....If yall remember:look:.

How is everyone doing? Are you making good pregress so far?

I did a rollerset today after COwashing for a week. I just realized the other day that I'm 12 weeks post:blush:. But I wont be relaxing until 14 weeks post( the 31st). I have a good amount of newgrowth. My hair seems to be transforming into a V shape:yawn:. So one day last week I saw my Husbands tape measure( you know, the stiff one they use as a tool:grin:) I called myself measuring how far I was from waist. I did it one day after COwashing and stretched my hair and the thing said 2 inches from Waist :blush:. So I did it today while it was dry and it said 2 1/2 inches away from WL. I have come to realize that I have an average torso and long legs. from the bottom of my bra strap to my waist is 5 inches. So I guess I might just claim Midback although I'm scared that I'm not mid back:look::spinning:( yeah I know crazy). We will just see when I get my relaxer. I added a new sigg pic from todays rollerset. And I will be posting another pic on April 13 for or reveal(which is a month away):grin: and I can't wait to see everyones pictures.....If yall remember:look:.

IMHO lady you ARE AT MIDBACK :congrats:

I just had my sister check the length of my hair...I still have another 4-5 inches to go until my longest layers reach the smallest part of my waist. I'm taking back the MBL claim also. Oh well...:nono:

I may not make it. I still have 3 inches to go. I measured today. I won't do another stretch out photo until June. If the end of summer is Sept 22nd then I will have to be exact on growth. Meaning I will have to retain .5 inches a month. Retaining is always an issue for me. This is what it looks like now.

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I may not make it. I still have 3 inches to go. I measured today. I won't do another stretch out photo until June. If the end of summer is Sept 22nd then I will have to be exact on growth. Meaning I will have to retain .5 inches a month. Retaining is always an issue for me. This is what it looks like now.

You can join im 2 and a half inches away. Im gonna add you.

Hi everyone, I don't think I will be making WL by end of summer. I had emergency sugery in January and it has knocked me for a loop. Needless to say all of the drugs and hospital stay and recovering has set back my hair growth.

The last time I had surgery which unfortunately was less than 2 years ago I had the same thing happen. It seemed as though my hair just did a "standstill" no growth or incredibly slow growth.

Chemicals of any kind just are not friendly to my hair or my system. I am going to go back to MBL challenge for end of year and see where I am. I have been truly frustrated but I am still keeping on and trying to stay positive and maintaining a hair regimen that I can handle since the surgery.

I have found a regimen that I can maintain now so I am just going to stay with this for now. I am getting a lot more hair just not getting growth. Thickness is not what I needed but I will take it. It still shows progress.

Who knows maybe I will get a growth spurt and be able to jump back in, but I knew it would be a stretch so it is still all good.

Best wishes for all of you ladies, I am still going to play cheerleader and root all of you on who are still in the challenge.

Go ladies.

Hi everyone, I don't think I will be making WL by end of summer. I had emergency sugery in January and it has knocked me for a loop. Needless to say all of the drugs and hospital stay and recovering has set back my hair growth.

The last time I had surgery which unfortunately was less than 2 years ago I had the same thing happen. It seemed as though my hair just did a "standstill" no growth or incredibly slow growth.

Chemicals of any kind just are not friendly to my hair or my system. I am going to go back to MBL challenge for end of year and see where I am. I have been truly frustrated but I am still keeping on and trying to stay positive and maintaining a hair regimen that I can handle since the surgery.

I have found a regimen that I can maintain now so I am just going to stay with this for now. I am getting a lot more hair just not getting growth. Thickness is not what I needed but I will take it. It still shows progress.

Who knows maybe I will get a growth spurt and be able to jump back in, but I knew it would be a stretch so it is still all good.

Best wishes for all of you ladies, I am still going to play cheerleader and root all of you on who are still in the challenge.

Go ladies.
Sorry to hear about your surgery. I know you will be back on track in no time. Q

Back