End of Summer '08 Waist Length Challenge!!

Jenteel, your hair looks so healthy and thick. Esp with all that beautiful color!
You have nothing to worry about! Just keeping taking really good care of it like you already are.

Soun, or anyone else better not be dropping out of this challenge! lol I know it is rough and I thought this was an impossible and pointless challenge for me to try but in the end all we can do is try. I sometimes think to myself that if we could magically grow our hair to our desired lengths by just pulling it, we all would be pulling away. :yep:

Good luck ladies let's try and do this!!

u're right
i'll keep keepin on!
thanks!:love2:

I was initially thinking that I could make waistlength by December 2008...

But then I started doing a little bit of measuring, and realized that I have a very strong chance of reaching waistlength by the end of the summer (Septemer 23, 2008).

Soooooooo, can I join please?? :grin:

I'm having trouble posting pics to threads, so I'm still trying to figure that out. In the meantime, I have starting pics in my fotki.

thanks so much for the encouragement ladies!
i appreciate it:grouphug:
soun we'll get thru this 2gether

Thanks lady jenteel :hug3:

Jenteel, your hair looks so healthy and thick. Esp with all that beautiful color!

You have nothing to worry about! Just keeping taking really good care of it like you already are.​

Soun, or anyone else better not be dropping out of this challenge! lol I know it is rough and I thought this was an impossible and pointless challenge for me to try but in the end all we can do is try. I sometimes think to myself that if we could magically grow our hair to our desired lengths by just pulling it, we all would be pulling away. :yep:

Good luck ladies let's try and do this!!​

Thank you :giveheart:carribean_dream

okayyy idk if i can do this, but this was my goal anyways being as I want waistlength hair before i go off to school in august....soO.... IM IN!!!! did i just say that :look:...is this binding...??

I'm flat ironing tomorrow & I KNOW I need a nice trim.I've been putting it off far too long.

pray for me ladies:look:

That will be 15 inches or 38 cms, until my hair is waist length. Count me in. I have started using Asian herbs, such as Amla and neem, plus I am conditioning with Cassia obovota and I need to be more focussed to waist length, which I have been lacking in the last two years for me.

nikkipoo and Valerie you are added! Don't forget we all are revealing pictures in April just to see how everyones hair is growing, since it will be a while before the final reveal. How is everyone and their hair doing?

I did a non-permanent hair color(Dark Brown) to tone that light color in my hair down. It looked like a band around my head. Now it is all pretty much around the same color now and it looks so much better. I haven't trimmed. I can't believe I've been this long without a trim. 6 months is a long time for me. And of coarse I have been looking at my ends. I don't have split ends at all this round(from what I see). I guess the moisturizing and sealing daily really has helped with that. Lets see how it looks in the end of March for my next relaxer. I don't plan on trimming until I reach my goal in case some didn't know.

How is everyone and their hair doing?

I have some growth but I feel like my hair is in a bit of a bad patch right now. The ends are getting a bit tangly. I haven't had a trim in months and the left side lays a lot differently than the right. I wanted to wait to have a trim until after the April reveal but I don't know if I'll make it. I'm trying to figure out some protective styles until I get past this. :ohwell:

i currently have my hair braided, hopefully till march. After that i will possible get it rebraided or just wear buns.

Last edited:
[B said:

... I guess the moisturizing and sealing daily really has helped... I don't plan on trimming until I reach my goal in case some didn't know.

I just did a henna/indigo treatment and a DC w/Aubrey Organics and evoo and I love the results, jet black shiny hair! I haven't looked at my hair in so long cause I don't want to get discouraged or be tempted to cut, especially after a six month relaxer stretch but I'm moisturizing and sealing daily and keeping it in a bun. I finally looked last night and measured how far I am from WL. I am very excited to report no split ends and I'm six and a half inches away from our goal! I love this challenge b/c you all are so supportive of not trimming, keeping the ends healthy and waiting til' we hit our goal before we make a decision to trim! LOVE that:yep: Can't wait for the April pics.....still waiting on my new X-mas camera, but I have to be patient cause I just got the Pibbs from my SO, wonderful, loving, generous hunk-a-man that he is!:rolleyes: Let's hope it gets here in time cause I'd be so sad to get kicked out of the challenge:nono: Hope everyone is doing well and feeling inspired by eachother:grouphug:

Last edited:
thank God its not damaged!:yawn:
i was worried i would see all these splits
but it was a pretty smooth blowdry
and i did a dusting and a "search and destroy"

in my response to mariposa i was saying
that i may need to hide it for a while
its getting so big and long that it's getting tangled easier
so as opposed to washing alot for moisture retention
i may just pull it back after a light blow dry
i think that just creates alot of stress on my hair
in its most vulnerable state
this is what loveya4ever does and it seems to work 4 her
i don't think im 1 of those people who should wash all the time
especially without a relaxer

the lighter hair is may 2007
the darker hair is jan 2008

DSC04082-vi.jpg

DSC04856-vi.jpg

bkblow-vi.jpg
blowdrybk-vi.jpg

i haven't flat ironed it out since may
so i may just do that at the end of the month and post pics for u guys 2 compare
this is what the flat iron press looked like in may 2007
this is after the above blowdry so u can get an idea of the shrinkage
DSC04114-vi.jpg

i need all the encouragement i can get
i mean summer is right around the corner
im at the top of brastrap now and have a loooong torso
so i guess i wanted to see if it's possible
but i'll try to be positive :yep:

I can see the growth! :yep: Your hair DEFINITELY looks longer in the pic with the striped shirt on. Your hair is goregous and I've always admired all the colors you've tried.

I can see the growth! :yep: Your hair DEFINITELY looks longer in the pic with the striped shirt on. Your hair is goregous and I've always admired all the colors you've tried.

thanks 4 the suppport
ur hair is gorgeous 2
congrats on being the feature of the month
u deserve it!!!:yep:

thank God its not damaged!:yawn:
i was worried i would see all these splits
but it was a pretty smooth blowdry
and i did a dusting and a "search and destroy"

in my response to mariposa i was saying
that i may need to hide it for a while
its getting so big and long that it's getting tangled easier
so as opposed to washing alot for moisture retention
i may just pull it back after a light blow dry
i think that just creates alot of stress on my hair
in its most vulnerable state
this is what loveya4ever does and it seems to work 4 her
i don't think im 1 of those people who should wash all the time
especially without a relaxer

the lighter hair is may 2007
the darker hair is jan 2008

DSC04082-vi.jpg

DSC04856-vi.jpg

bkblow-vi.jpg
blowdrybk-vi.jpg

i haven't flat ironed it out since may
so i may just do that at the end of the month and post pics for u guys 2 compare
this is what the flat iron press looked like in may 2007
this is after the above blowdry so u can get an idea of the shrinkage
DSC04114-vi.jpg

i need all the encouragement i can get
i mean summer is right around the corner
im at the top of brastrap now and have a loooong torso
so i guess i wanted to see if it's possible
but i'll try to be positive :yep:

Why am I just now seeing this :spinning:?Your hair is so pretty and thick and your such a pretty girl. I can't wait until April! And yes be positive girl you have really nice hair.

Oh I forgot about this challenge! Well, I don't think I'll be making it this year. I'm gonna cut it soon-- I won't know how much until I have scissors in my hands. :lol: So I don't think I'll be making it for the summer. Maybe later this year or early next yr.

Dang, I didn't even try to make this challenge. lol.

How is everyone holding up?

I know we are not supposed to reveal or anything but I need some major advice. I didn't want to start a whole new thread because I figured you guys would be able to give me the best feedback knowing that I am trying to reach WL at the end of this summer.

Should I trim, and if so how much?
BTW, I don't know anyone I could trust to trim my hair.

How is everyone holding up?

I know we are not supposed to reveal or anything but I need some major advice. I didn't want to start a whole new thread because I figured you guys would be able to give me the best feedback knowing that I am trying to reach WL at the end of this summer.

Should I trim, and if so how much?
BTW, I don't know anyone I could trust to trim my hair.

DON'T TRIM! Just moisturize and protect those ends.

My hair is doing well. I will be keeping it in protective styles for a while. Daily moisturizing, sealing, and frequent DC treatments have kept my hair soft and moisturized. I'm going to give protein treatments a try soon to see if I can strengthen my tresses a bit. :drunk:

What are you ladies moisturizing and sealing with?
i haven't been doing that! :eek: maybe that's why my ends just keep getting messed up!

i haven't been doing that! :eek: maybe that's why my ends just keep getting messed up!

I seal and protect just my ends with Blue Magic coconut oil every night. I moisturize daily with BB Oil Moisturizer lotion and seal with Vatika oil.

My ends are doing really well. Since I've joined this challenge, I have trimmed a time or two, but not a whole lot.

The bad thing that I did... was that about a month ago, I got bored with my hair and decided to put in a permanent color. I chose cinnamon brown... and it didnt really do much to my hair. The streaks are only noticeable under BRIGHT @$$ fluorescent light. I'm currently afraid to touch-up- why, I dont know. In HS, I was blonde-ish and relaxed root to tip and I still had lots of hair.

At present, I'm about 3 months post... I dont know when I am going to TU, but I'll go at least one more month.

If you rollerset your hair, how do you maintain the style when you are spritzing with water?

would it be enough to just moisturize and seal with oil?
I actually do that, but not daily.

I saw this girl using System Professional Ends Express. Has anyone heard of it?
sp_ends-express.jpg

Or should I just go ahead and start spritzing my ends with a homemade mix of water, moisturizer, and oils?
I did that at the beginning of my hair journey and it worked:) but I was wondering if there were alternatives.

Any good water based moisturizer wil work. I use olive oil moisturizer or mango butter(Just a little bit) and seal with hot six oil.

If you rollerset your hair, how do you maintain the style when you are spritzing with water?

would it be enough to just moisturize and seal with oil?
I actually do that, but not daily.

I saw this girl using System Professional Ends Express. Has anyone heard of it?
sp_ends-express.jpg

Or should I just go ahead and start spritzing my ends with a homemade mix of water, moisturizer, and oils?
I did that at the beginning of my hair journey and it worked:) but I was wondering if there were alternatives.

Yes it would be enough.

Back