E-ring Question

movingforward13

I do what I want...
Do you/ would you want your fiancée to pick out your engagement ring or would you like to have some input? Do you think being apart of the ring choosing somewhat ruins the surprise? (Is it even really a surprise if you both had discussions about getting married?)

Also he should know me well enough to realize that I like to have decision and choice over all things dramatically changing my life. And wearing a ring for conceivably the rest of my life is one of those.

It should come up in the conversation about whether or not we are ready for marriage.

I didn't want to choose my ring. Nope nope nope! We never talked about what I wanted. Actually, we didn't even really talk about marriage. We just knew it was the next step.

What I did do was make a pinterest board of styles I liked. His sister follows me so she knew it was there when the time came and he started talking to her about engagement. She showed him and went shopping with him. She told me, after the fact, that he picked the ring himself with no input from her. She just gave it a thumbs up.

He did a GREAT job! It's perfect! I couldn't have picked better myself. He put a lot of effort into finding it. It's vintage and one of a kind. I love it.

Wow ladies- I was expecting a different response. I am glad to know that other women feel the same as me. I was wondering if it was too pushy telling him the exact ring I wanted.

I know huh...you feel embarrassed that you want a specific kind of ring probably because it should be less about the ring and more about the loooove/commitment but hey, we're human *shrug* I always drop hints I want a ruby lol
I'm with you.

I didn't want to choose my ring. Nope nope nope! We never talked about what I wanted. Actually, we didn't even really talk about marriage. We just knew it was the next step.

What I did do was make a pinterest board of styles I liked. His sister follows me so she knew it was there when the time came and he started talking to her about engagement. She showed him and went shopping with him. She told me, after the fact, that he picked the ring himself with no input from her. She just gave it a thumbs up.

He did a GREAT job! It's perfect! I couldn't have picked better myself. He put a lot of effort into finding it. It's vintage and one of a kind. I love it.
Yeah I didn't want to pick mine either. He asked what kind of styles I like and he had researched cuts and stuff which I still really don't know anything about so he would be like "cushion cut? Princess cut? This? That? InchHigh, pay attention. Look at these on my iPad" and I was like "I don't like yellow gold. Other than that, surprise me!" He did a great job. I don't know that I would have picked this one, but I love it and I think it's so beautiful and I love how he became a little ring expert. He was all "look, let me explain the clarity because it might not be as big as you expected, but....the clarity..." He was SO cute!!

but to answer the question, I was more interested in what he would pick and why and when. And also, I'm not very into detail, so I honestly didn't feel like picking a ring :look:

I only know that I would like a cushion cut stone, otherwise, I don't have any specifics (other that it's a reasonable size to fit my proportions).

I sent him pics of what i wanted but he designed and had something else made. I love the setting but like @LunadeMiel he chose clarity and cut over size. he probably listened to his family who owns the jewelry store that made it. He knows i don't like surprises but he still did with the ring, the day he proposed and where he proposed so thats fine.

I sent him pics of what i wanted but he designed and had something else made. I love the setting but like @LunadeMiel he chose clarity and cut over size. he probably listened to his family who owns the jewelry store that made it. He knows i don't like surprises but he still did with the ring, the day he proposed and where he proposed so thats fine.

Same here. I had zero input. I truly didn't know it was coming. I used to send him pics but then I stopped for months and one day bam, he pops up with a ring that looked nothing like the pics I sent. But I still love it. I just wish he went for clarity over size. I have a 3 stone so I can always upgrade my middle diamond down the road. But honestly I after I he gave me my ring what it looked like no longer really mattered.

I showed my bf two rings and we went together to get sized.

Hopefully I will have time to remind him of the two again.

I really wanted a sapphire.

He had me try on several styles / rings back in March, and from that, he selected the one he liked best, and I love it. He did a wonderful job on everything.

i sent him 10 options to get an idea of what would work for me...lmao :look:...was still surprised with the ring he chose...:rose:

Yeah I didn't want to pick mine either. He asked what kind of styles I like and he had researched cuts and stuff which I still really don't know anything about so he would be like "cushion cut? Princess cut? This? That? InchHigh, pay attention. Look at these on my iPad" and I was like "I don't like yellow gold. Other than that, surprise me!" He did a great job. I don't know that I would have picked this one, but I love it and I think it's so beautiful and I love how he became a little ring expert. He was all "look, let me explain the clarity because it might not be as big as you expected, but....the clarity..." He was SO cute!!

but to answer the question, I was more interested in what he would pick and why and when. And also, I'm not very into detail, so I honestly didn't feel like picking a ring :look:

My FH was adamant about choosing mine on his own. I told him I was fine with anything as long as it wasn't a marquis. He was big on the clarity and color also. He was so proud of himself! I absolutely love my ring.

Yes i do :)...he combined two of the options i sent him and it came out lovely, in ny we have tons of personal jewelers so, you can pretty much get anything customized the way you like...he did good...honestly I'm big on jewelry so i needed to have him in the right directionnnn early....lol he likes vintage stuff and jewelry..i hate vintage..lol

men are actually funny....ive went ring shopping with several of my male friends and family..and they are so off...my cousin picked up the biggest rock for his gf..mind you she is a simple, elegant type..nothing gaudy about her...i talked him down but he really was dead set on that ring..im like nooooo cous...we were in that store for at least 2 hours an dude wouldn't budge on it..i walked out got a coffee and came back like listen//she loves the modest ring i picked for her...and she dont even know...but he is happy and she is happy and a wedding it shall be:toocool:

@lux10023

Do you love the ring he selected for you?

I want him to pick the ring with no input from me. I am not that controlling. I trust him and I feel that it is much more romantic when the man is doing all the preparations for the engagement. Knowing all the details especially the kind of ring would ruin the surprise for me.

Yes! He took me to his jeweler to try on different styles. I did not pick out the exact ring but I gave him a good idea of what I liked and he picked it out. He did sooo good! The ring is perfect.

We looked at rings and I pointed out different styles that I liked. I have a feeling hes going to pick something totally different though.

Back