Dominican Salon question

SqrpioQutie

ok, i've been looking for a dominican salon in my area for a while now and i've finally found one (norfolk for my VA ladies) but i have a question that i wanted to run by you guys....

i see on the price list that they do a wash and set and all these other services... but i don't see blowout listed... is that the normal followup after a wash and set or something that you have to ask for as extra?... i plan on calling them and setting up a consultation because i don't know anyone who's been there and i'm very scared to try a new salon blindly...

and are they normally unisex salons??... i'm so excited yet apprehensive at the same time... any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

They can be unisex, though I've never been to one. Usually, the blowout is a part of the wash and set. One hint that I do want to give is that if you want a curly look, make sure that they use smaller rollers. The last time I went, they assumed that I wanted straight hair and used larger rollers.

The Dominican I go to is unisex. The wash and set does include the blowout, I don't think it is listed on their price list either.

Sqrpioqtie, can you let me know the name of the salon and PM me to let me know how your visit goes? I am from that area and I could go to the salon when I am in town visiting my mother. Thanks

The one I go to occasionally here in Atlanta is unisex, but you see more women in there and an occasional latino man getting a hair cut.

Also, the wash and set is the blowout at the salon I go to.

Have FUN!

ETA: Like Imani said, they have 2 styles: curly or straight. At my salon they always ask before they set you, but just in case, make sure you let them know if you want straight, curly, or just curly at the ends.

the salon is called Elegante... i'll let you know how it goes... i'll probably call tomorrow and set something up for friday morning... i can't risk doing something during the week in the morning until i know how fast/slow they are...

nikki1971 said:
The Dominican I go to is unisex. The wash and set does include the blowout, I don't think it is listed on their price list either.

Sqrpioqtie, can you let me know the name of the salon and PM me to let me know how your visit goes? I am from that area and I could go to the salon when I am in town visiting my mother. Thanks

Like the others stated the wash and set does include the blowout at the end. I would like to know the info if you could post it or send it to me in a PM. I would greatly apprecitae it. TIA!

the salon is :

Elegante Beauty Center 757-466-7333 or 757-644-7405
M-Sat: 9-8, Sun: 10-5

410 Briar Hill Rd., Norfolk VA

my consultation is with Jessie (i think)

wash/set - $25 ($20 on mondays)

they use sebasitan, salerm, nexxus and affirm...

Thanks for the info I just moved to this area and I knew there had to be a DS around here somewhere. The prices are cheaper than the DS in DC too. Thanks again.

daSheran said:
Thank you for this post. I live right around the corner and didn't know it was there. Learn something new everyday.

lol.. i think they just opened in July... from what i saw last week, they already have a booming clientele... it was pretty full when i stopped in for the price list...

SqrpioQutie,
To add insult to injury I just found out that my homegirl (who is Dominican) knows the owner of the salon, maybe we can talk her into giving us LHCF members a little something special (free treatment/discount ya know) for all of the advertising :lol:

daSheran said:
SqrpioQutie,
To add insult to injury I just found out that my homegirl (who is Dominican) knows the owner of the salon, maybe we can talk her into giving us LHCF members a little something special (free treatment/discount ya know) for all of the advertising :lol:

shooooot... can't hurt!!... and u should see if you can get the lowdown on jessie - that's who my consultation is with... i'd love to know who's "hot" and "not" in there.. lol

When is your consult I can always ask my girl to see if she can get the 411, a little private investigation might save your hair girl, we gotta do what we gotta do and if she doesn't work for you let me know bcuz my girl kira will hook you up (she's on Military Highway in the Target Shopping center) you will never have to worry about her doing anything other than what you ask for at least that has been my experience.

daSheran said:
When is your consult I can always ask my girl to see if she can get the 411, a little private investigation might save your hair girl, we gotta do what we gotta do and if she doesn't work for you let me know bcuz my girl kira will hook you up (she's on Military Highway in the Target Shopping center) you will never have to worry about her doing anything other than what you ask for at least that has been my experience.

friday morning at 9... i figured i'd save the hassle of people running late if i got the first appt of the day... the only thing is that i've been dying to get a blowout since i hear such good things about it... i haven't seen my hair straight in 7 months so i'm VERY interested to see how this works and what the results would be.. lol.. :D

SqrpioQutie said:
the salon is :

Elegante Beauty Center 757-466-7333 or 757-644-7405
M-Sat: 9-8, Sun: 10-5

410 Briar Hill Rd., Norfolk VA

my consultation is with Jessie (i think)

wash/set - $25 ($20 on mondays)

they use sebasitan, salerm, nexxus and affirm...

How did you find this salon? I live in Indiana and I wouldn't have a clue as to how to search for a Dominican Salon if they have any here

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
How did you find this salon? I live in Indiana and I wouldn't have a clue as to how to search for a Dominican Salon if they have any here

pure luck... i was killing time waiting for my mom's friend to be finished at her stylist so i could pick her up and just happened to see the place... when i was driving by i saw a flag hanging on the door so i went in to see and it had dominican salon big as day on the sign on the door.. lol

SqrpioQutie said:
pure luck... i was killing time waiting for my mom's friend to be finished at her stylist so i could pick her up and just happened to see the place... when i was driving by i saw a flag hanging on the door so i went in to see and it had dominican salon big as day on the sign on the door.. lol

Oh ok, so what is the difference between a Dominican salon and a Latino salon? There are tons of Latino shops here

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
Oh ok, so what is the difference between a Dominican salon and a Latino salon? There are tons of Latino shops here

hmm.. that's a good question... i have no idea though - i've never been to either type.. lol

UPDATE**** went in for my appt today... loved it and the results and i will definitely be going back on a pretty regular basis... i figure either once every 1 or 2 months for the emergency treatment and blowout... the only thing that got to me was that the person that i was supposed to see wasn't there when i got there (actually noone was there when i got there) so i ended up going with someone else... but i was very happy with the lady that did my hair and i will definitely be going back...

i couldn't get a look at all of the products that they used, but i did see that she used biolage moisture milk (?) on my hair prior to blowing it out and she used silk therapy on it after she was finished... i was finish in about 1 1/2 hours (i left my sister under the dryer and she got started before me)... they have a take a number system that i think is awesome for walkins... everyone was friendly and it wasn't crowded - everything had it's own space...

i only wish i understood more spanish... i'm going to have to work on that..

i'll post pics in my siggy later... suffice to say, people were very impressed with the results since they're used to my curls... i'm trying to resist the temptation to toss my hair every few minutes but it's sooooooooooooooo hard... :lol:

You're siggy pic is absolutely gorgeous! I'd be flipping that hair every two seconds! I'm glad you had a good experience and next time try to see what they used on you.

buttaflye03 said:
You're siggy pic is absolutely gorgeous! I'd be flipping that hair every two seconds! I'm glad you had a good experience and next time try to see what they used on you.

thank you thank you thank you!!... yeah, i'll definitely pay better attention next time...

Sweet C said:
Your pics are absolutely gorgeous. Next time I am in VA, I will have to check them out!

i definitely recommend them... although it's only been the one visit, i got the feeling that they are just really good like that..

Last edited:
Glad to hear you had a good visit. I didnt have such a good experience with visit. And was over charged. (45.00 for a wash and blow dry)

Back