Does water bead up on your hair?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Does it? Ive noticed this when it comes to my hair. it takes forever for water to get absorbed. anything i put on it just kinda sits there. and when it does get wet it stays wet. this weekend i washed my hair and added product. 2 days later my roots were still wet:perplexed Im trying to find a happy medium so i can get curl definition and not have wet hair. today its dry because i co washed this morning and towel dried. the roots are slightly damp but its mostly dry and soft(thanks infusium) but it looks like a fuzz cloud

plus the only think i can style my hair with is with gel & mango butter. otherwise it doesnt look good in my opinion. any tips?

The more moisturized my hair is, and the more sealed my cuticles are, the more water beads up on my hair - so I kinda think of it as a good thing. I can get my hair wet in the morning, and it will still be damp when I'm coming home that night - but only if it's bound up somehow.

I - I don't know. I think it's a better thing than hair that dries super fast - I think it's a sign of healthier hair, really. Can make it a bit of a pain to style, but - I don't really mind.

i think water beads up on anything that has oil on it. maybe when you wash your hair there is still oil or residue(sp?) left on it. idk

Thats what happens with my sons hair (he has a huge fro but i like to keep it braided).

He has THICK 4b natural hair and I always find a lot of water beads in his hair after I wash and towel dry it.

The other day I washed and towel dried his hair and combed it back in a lil ponytail so that I could braid it later on in the day. About 3 hours later when I took his pony tail down and parted the middle there were so many water beads just rolling of his strands.

I find it weird:perplexed

My hair does that. It's like it doesn't get totally wet at first. Water also weighs my hair down once it's totally wet instead of making it shrink up.

OP - What products are you using? When I used too much gel on soaking wet hair for a wash and go I had that problem. It took forever to dry and it felt heavy.

My hair does that. It's like it doesn't get totally wet at first. Water also weighs my hair down once it's totally wet instead of making it shrink up.

OP - What products are you using? When I used too much gel on soaking wet hair for a wash and go I had that problem. It took forever to dry and it felt heavy.

maybe thats the problem? im kinda heavy handed when it comes to gel. im mainly using fantasia ic gels or smooth n shine curl activator

maybe thats the problem? im kinda heavy handed when it comes to gel. im mainly using fantasia ic gels or smooth n shine curl activator

Yeah that's probably it. I did that once on evening before going out and my hair was still wet the next day even after sleeping on it. :ohwell:

:yep: Mine too. Interesting. I wonder what that indicates about your hair.

I think it's just a characteristic of the texture. Most looser textures are weighed down by water. But most Type 4's draw up as soon as water hits it. My hair starts to shrink up as it starts to dry.

Bumping this really old post. I've been trying to find info on this online then this thread came up. I'm finding that water is beading up on my hair as well. I don't use gel -- just a varying combination of moisturizer, a light oil to seal and clay washes. Even when I used a clarifying shampoo water still would bead up on my hair....

That said, I don't find that my hair is extra dry like it used to be.

@snoop, Do you know your hair's porosity? Water beading up on your hair sounds like low porosity.

And how often do you shampoo and/ or clarify?

@Honey Bee, I'm somewhere between low and medium. I've started experimenting with water only, but the ladies in the MHM thread pointed out that the clay didn't look like it was absorbing into my hair. That's when I noticed that the water wasn't either. I did notice that if I slather my leave in on, it would absorb. Water alone just rolls off.

To be honest, I don't find it problematic, just strange.

Yes, I have low porosity hair. It takes forever for my hair to get wet and fully saturated with water. It also takes freaking hours to dry

Back