Does washing your hair relieve stress?

taylokc

Hey ladies, I notice that I tend to want to wash my hair more when Im stressed. I feel much better mentally when I wash and set my hair. Does washing your hair make you have the same effects mentally?>

If you think about it, washing your hair (especially if you get it washed by someone else) is a massage- a scalp massage. Massages are very stress relieving. I feel so good when I wash my hair, but even more when someone else washes my hair- shoot, I could stay under that warm running water and get gently scrubbed all day:grin:

Hey ladies, I notice that I tend to want to wash my hair more when Im stressed. I feel much better mentally when I wash and set my hair. Does washing your hair make you have the same effects mentally?>

Actually, yes. This may sound funny....a clean head = a clear mind.:grin: Im sitting here doing a DC and I feel so relaxed. I may feel different about it once my hair gets to a length where it takes me 30-45 min to do.:ohwell:

Only if someone else is washing/styling my hair. It feels like I'm doing something for ME! ME! and it ME TIME!

That's the rant of stressed mother of two(boomerang adult children); married to a workaholic spouse; looking for a career change at age 50; and has a mother with Alzhemizer!

Last edited:
Taking showers and having the water run through my hair is soooo relaxing.

Anytime I am stressed or on the brink of getting mad or breaking down. I either pray or take a shower AND pray.

It's wonderful.

YEs! Definitely. :yep:

I LOVE my wash-days. I actually look forward to them. I love getting in the shower and just having the water run down my scalp. It's very soothing. I like to take out at least 2 hours to just have my "me-time" washing and conditioning and styling my hair. Plus, just being comfy in my sweats around the house while conditioning my hair with a cap on is so...refreshing. :lol:

I know it may sound crazy, but I do like to bum around sometimes. I'll just pop in a movie, surf the net, read, or watch tv while I'm deep conditioning my hair with my cap on. :)

I LOVE my wash-days. I actually look forward to them. I love getting in the shower and just having the water run down my scalp. It's very soothing. I like to take out at least 2 hours to just have my "me-time" washing and conditioning and styling my hair. Plus, just being comfy in my sweats around the house while conditioning my hair with a cap on is so...refreshing. :lol:

I

wow...ur making me wanna go home and wash my hair 2nite!

actually i look forward to my wash days. Its very relaxing......

......until something goes wrong...u start breaking...or u used too much protein...or u realized u should of clarified instead of cowash...or ur new product doesn't work so well on ur hair....etc etc

but other than that i luv my wash days:grin:

I know that for me it certainly does. I tend to wash or just plain let the water run over my hair in the shower when I am super stressed out. I love it! It's very relaxing to me and I usually fall asleep once I am out the shower. I don't find that unusual at all! Plus I just feel better!!

It sure is MY stress reliever... I just hate sitting under the hot dryer for 15-20mn. I love water and water loves me and my hair:grin:.

I think that is why I co-wash daily, the power of the water, the massaging of my scalp. :drool: When I wash my hair at night I sleep better. :yep:

I think that is why I co-wash daily, the power of the water, the massaging of my scalp. :drool: When I wash my hair at night I sleep better. :yep:

I agree. It's very soothing and relaxing. It makes you either feel good if you're stressed or it just makes you feel better even if you feel fine.

I'm not sure about relieving stress but I notice that my head always feels very light and airy after being washed.

I love to wash my hair when I am stressed. Something out feeling completely wet, like you are washing away all the crap in your life.

Yes! Yes! Yes!!! Always :grin:. There's something wonderful about water running down your body from head to toe. I'm not sure how it works, but I always feel good, somehow lighter, when I wash my hair. "Washing" includes water rinsing, shampooing, conditioner washing, etc.

Last edited:
yep yep after i wash my hair it's like cleaning away all that population and dirt makes you feel cleansed and it's like it takes a weight off your shoulders.

Yup it does for me!! And I absolutely love it and look forward to washing my hair all the time!! Makes me feels so good afterwards with that tingling fresh feeling afterwards!:grin:

Back