Does Fenugreek (methi) powder strengthen your hair?

Thank you ladies for your advice on the leaves, I was looking for the powder or seeds in the shop but only found the leaves. I may still give them a try, mixing it with nettle or horsetail as a tea rinse, but will aim to get the powder so that I can make the paste!

Thanks again HHG

Ok folks...are we still gonna do the tutorial? I've met 2 newbie members who aren't newbs to veda that I'd love to have contribute too. Should I send them the link to this thread as our "planning thread"?

Now...will this be done in parts or as one whole thread? I guess we should put it in the 1st post which members are contributing so there's no confusing between regular question askers and tutorial members. Will henna be included in the tutorial? Let's discuss.

Interesting question jamaraa. I actually just did a tea rinse made of rosemary, thyme, green tea herbs, mixed with shikakai, kalpi tone and brahmi powders and 2 oz of shikakai oil and poured it over prepooed hair and scalp.

Now I'm DCing under my hooded dryer with Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening conditioner right over the rinse. I have a tiny bit of the tea rinse left over that I put in the fridge to cool and use as a final rinse to close my cuticles when I'm done Dcing - I may add some ACV to it too.

I would like henna to remain separate because it is a very intense subject all by itself, just my opinion however. We can include all the herbs in the new tutorial. We'll have to think of a name for the thread though.

I'm thinking something like:
Natural Herbal Teas & Rinses for Hair Growth & Shine or
Conditioning With Natural Herbal Teas & Rinses or
Maximize Your Hair Growth/Health With Natural Herbal Teas & Rinses.

If anyone has anymore ideas on names we can use for the tutorial, please feel free to share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Found this online

"Fenugreek is a natural herb with extremely potent seeds, which have a medicinal effect to reduce balding, hair fall, and hair thinning. For hair fall and dandruff, the crushed or boiled seeds alone have been found to restore the hair shaft. The seeds contain hormone precursors that replenish hair growth. Additionally, fenugreek seeds are a good source of nicotinic acid and protein. Protein is highly important in rebuilding and strengthening the hair shaft. In fact, protein balanced diets are emphasized to reduce hair loss and stimulating hair growth. The amount of protein in fenugreek alone may explain its restorative ability on damaged or falling hair."

It has a very pungent odor too. Use a conditioner that smells really good after that. LOL.

It can also be used on the skin to keep away aging. (Provides moisture to skin.)

Your fenugreek smells like curry? Mine smells just like maple syrup. Are there different types?

I actually have fenugreek seed tea where the seeds are chopped up. Should I boil them and them soak them in the coconut oil or is this just for whole seeds?

personally I like to use the fenugreek seed powder to mix up.

Fenu does have a maply kind of scent but with a pungent undercurrent of curry.

I used fenugreek (teas and supplements)when I was breastfeeding because it stimulated milk production. I didn't know it could be used for hair growth/health as well.

When I used it, it smelled like maple and one of the side-effects that I would read about it was that it can make your urine/sweat smell like maple as well (didn't have that effect on me).

I might add it back to my arsenal.

I had that problem with my underarms... :perplexed

Took the words right out of my mouth! I used to "visit" (aka stalk, lurk, oggle) her fotki as well! Mscocoface's fotki is what introduced me to ayurveda. Her hair is the business :yep:.

Aggie & vkb247 I totally agree with you guys. I think all the ayurvedic ladies on this forum should get together and start spreading the knowledge. The ladies on LHC know their stuff, but I think that women of color and with highly textured hair can benefit from ayurvedic knowledge that's catered to our hair's specific needs.

Brainstorm: What are the main issues that women of african descent have with their hair? In general, I believe we tend to have fine, delicate hair that has less cuticle layers than most races and dries easily and is prone to matting and tangling. We also have to worry more about the protein/moisture balance of our hair. So I think that women of color can benefit from herbs that add "heft" or density to the hair, herbs that strengthen the hair and it's follicle (nettles, brahmi, amla), mucilaginous herbs that give slip (Burdock root, hibiscus, fenugreek), and herbs that seal and protect the hair (like cassia and henna). What do you ladies think?

Excellent synopsis! I use each for the reasons stated. That Hibiscus is nobody's business either,it helps keep the hair soft and moisturized.

BW face the twin pressures of both straightness and length...seeking both is causing most of the probles, even tho it's quite possible to get both. Most women simply don't know how and/or believe that African textures requires tons of extreme measures. BW would benefit by taking a more moderate approach, no matter if they are relaxed or natural. Extremes are never good...or mostly not! :grin:

I think most African textures really have no problems w/ their hair growth, but in how they treat what comes out of the head. Many try to make it do things it simply isn't designed to do and try to use products that are destructive to their hairtype. While not all African textured hair is fine, dry, or delicate...it has a TENDENCY to be at least one of the 3. It's better to be safe than sorry, I say. (LOL...Lord knows I ain't fine or delicate! My hair's strong as a horse! :lachen: Interestingly my hair isn't dry, but I treat it as if it has a tendency for dryness.) Many BW are far too impatient w/ their hair for being what it's not rather than what it is. :perplexed

If BW took a more gentle/patient approach to their styling, handling, product choices, and frequency of manipulation...they'd see far better results. Black men are living proof of this. Many of them have BEAUTIFUL heads of hair. Black men disprove the genetics (ie of African descent) argument all the time.

Aaaannnnnddd BINGOOOO!!!!(pointing at you) For some reason BW don't see this in relation to themselves. Point this fact out and you start seeing questions marks on top of their heads like...hmmm I hadn't thought of that.

And the funny thing is BM have a tendency to bust BW for not having hair. and also thinking we can't grow it. Meanwhile men with a 4 texture have MBL hair.

Ok folks...are we still gonna do the tutorial? I've met 2 newbie members who aren't newbs to veda that I'd love to have contribute too. Should I send them the link to this thread as our "planning thread"?

Now...will this be done in parts or as one whole thread? I guess we should put it in the 1st post which members are contributing so there's no confusing between regular question askers and tutorial members. Will henna be included in the tutorial? Let's discuss.

I'm wondering how it will all be set up. Is it going to be like an "ask the experts" thing or is it going to be like a group sharing thing? I know there's an ayurvedic thread here somewhere in which people all around discuss various treatments, but how can we make our thread (or threads) different? Maybe we can have people like Mscocoface and others with really healthy hair explain the tricks of the trade.

Or perhaps we can create a thread like they have on LHC, in which they discuss herbs and their various uses, so people have a comprehensive thread to refer to about herbs, how they can be used, and what it specifically does for the hair before trying it out. We could even post references of where we received the information on that herb and if there are any potential allergens. That way people can make an informed decision before trying it out with few negative repurcussions.

Here is a copy of their thread on herbs:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10900

Last edited:
I would love a thread like the one at LHC!
I would also love a tutorial thread!
I really want to see what mixes other ladies are using and what type of results they are getting!
I also really want to see complicated routines and very simple ways to use ayurveda!
I want everything--- with pics!

But really I think that we might want to have one major thread with links to other threads. I also think it might be a good idea to summarize some of the information that we already have in the massive Ayurveda Support and Henna threads.

I personally love the format they use at BHM for threads like this.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=104988

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=191038

I would love a thread like the one at LHC!
I would also love a tutorial thread!
I really want to see what mixes other ladies are using and what type of results they are getting!
I also really want to see complicated routines and very simple ways to use ayurveda!
I want everything--- with pics!

But really I think that we might want to have one major thread with links to other threads. I also think it might be a good idea to summarize some of the information that we already have in the massive Ayurveda Support and Henna threads.

I personally love the format they use at BHM for threads like this.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=104988

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=191038

Thanks for the links! BHM is very organized and LHC is very informative. I think we can bring the best of these two sites and make it work, especially for the ayurvedic subject. Herbs are a broad subject, so perhaps we should categorize them in some way. It's definitely going to require some planning, but in the end I think it will definitely be worth it. I think we should have at least two threads, one that is purely informative, giving the facts about each herb independent of our own personal experiences and/or biases, and then we should have another thread that provides tutorials (either typed or visual) on various experiences with herbs, and perhaps that's where the more seasoned ayurvedic users *cough-mscocoface-cough* :grin: can give us a sneak peek on how they mix and apply their herbs (that is, if they want to). We could perhaps even through in a third thread that will serve as a directory for all the posts on various ayurvedic subjects that alread exist on LHCF but may have gotten lost in the sauce, lol.

Thanks for the links! BHM is very organized and LHC is very informative. I think we can bring the best of these two sites and make it work, especially for the ayurvedic subject. Herbs are a broad subject, so perhaps we should categorize them in some way. It's definitely going to require some planning, but in the end I think it will definitely be worth it. I think we should have at least two threads, one that is purely informative, giving the facts about each herb independent of our own personal experiences and/or biases, and then we should have another thread that provides tutorials (either typed or visual) on various experiences with herbs, and perhaps that's where the more seasoned ayurvedic users *cough-mscocoface-cough* :grin: can give us a sneak peek on how they mix and apply their herbs (that is, if they want to). We could perhaps even through in a third thread that will serve as a directory for all the posts on various ayurvedic subjects that alread exist on LHCF but may have gotten lost in the sauce, lol.

I do like your idea Muffin. So just so I am clear on this - in essence is this what you are saying above:

1. Information only thread on the benefits of the herbs
2. Tutorial thread with everyone's recipes/results
3. One single thread with links to other ayurvedic threads throughout LHCF

I do like your idea Muffin. So just so I am clear on this - in essence is this what you are saying above:

That is what I understood it to be. I'm wondering if it might be best to just do two threads and post those links in the first post of both threads?

Exactly right :yep:.

That is what I understood it to be. I'm wondering if it might be best to just do two threads and post those links in the first post of both threads?

That could work as well. In the information thread we can post information on the herb and also provide links to other threads that talk about the herb. In the tutorial thread we can post links to threads in which others have experimented with the same herb or herbal combination. But I think that if we had a separate directory thread it would be more thorough because we could potentially run into a situation where someone experimented with an herbal combination that no one has tried yet or maybe someone posted a negative experience they had. But I'm sure we can find a way to make it more concise if we think about it.

The LHC approach will not work here because we don't have a dedicated forum like they do for herbals. Their site is strictly hair which is an advantage for them. The Natural Living isn't appropriate because far fewer users at this site read it. Unfortunately, we're stuck w/ doing it in "Tips and Product Reviews" which has huge activity and things get very buried. It's that or nothing. :/

It has to be labeled, well and easily searchable, and aiming for sticky status...past this we take our chances in the deluge.

You're right. I don't want our threads to get lost amongst the other threads, and I want it to be put in a place where a lot of people will view it. If only we can get it turned into a sticky. Perhaps if we contact one of the moderators with our idea they will consider making it a sticky. Even if our site isn't purely natural, there's a lot of people here that either practice or are interested in ayurveda/herbs. If we made it easier for them to understand and to locate information perhaps their interest in it will grow.

Could we use our blogs? It's not as neat, but in the mean time maybe we could take turns posting information in our blogs, and then provide links for others to view it. The only problem with this is that only paying members of this site will be able to see the information. Just thinking out loud. I'm really hoping for the sticky option, though.

Last edited:
I'm all for the sticky status as well. Afterall, there are a lot of relaxed and natural ladies here that use ayurveda practices and jamaraa's right. The natural forum does not get the desired traffic it's supposed to because the Hair Care Tips and Products Review thread gets all the action and viewers. Our focus is strictly hair with these herbs so this is the perfect forum for it.

A lot of the ayurveda threads are so long that it's a deterrant to many ladies wanting to venture into this area of haircare. If the main thread we make has links to other threads, it would not be too much of a hassle/bother to do researches and quickly gain the info we need, emphasis on quickly.

Just thinking out loud, but what if we disect the herbal benefits too? What I mean is this:

herbal recipes for hair shine
herbal recipes for hair growth
herbal recipes for hair strength
herbal recipes for enhancing hair moisture
herbal recipes for thickening hair, etc., etc.

Just throwing out ideas:look:.

Back