Does Fenugreek (methi) powder strengthen your hair?

:yep:, I totally agree vkb247. It should be a general thread. Thanks for the link. I will be checking it out.

Anyway, anyone here tried the Nu Gro hair products and have you seen the amount of natural herbs and oils that are in the products? Check out this link on it with the ingredients lists http://www.nugrohairproducts.com/m_19.asp?pa=m_19.

I realized that the products are cheaper here though http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/nugro.html but they don't have the ingredients lists attached. I am very tempted to try this line.

I feel like there was a thread about how great this was some time back, but maybe not :grin:

The ingredients look great!
ETA: LHC is the best for information about herbs for hair use but of course a thread like that here would be so much more useful because the hair type definitely plays a part in how they are used, results, hair goals, etc.

Last edited:
My hair has good taste :grin:...:rolleyes:. It's a pain in my backside, it's so spoiled and finicky, lol. It only wants coconut oil. I even tried olive oil, and it hates it (probably because it's thick oil). So I guess I should just stick to what I know, right? My hair won't allow me to be a PJ. I wouldn't mind starting a dedicated thread, though I think you girls(Aggie, Jamaara, vkb247,and the other mixtresses/Veda ladies) know more about herbs and natural things than I do. But I'm learning fast :grin:.

BTW, here's some more info about Jojoba oil. I didn't know it was a good scalp cleanser.

http://www.regrowhair.com/non-surgical-hair-loss-treatments/jojoba-oil-for-hair-loss/

Girl you are doing absolutely great with your knowledge so far. I am impressed with what you are doing with your hair now. This is definitely the direction for my hair - natural herbs, oils, poos and cons:yep:. My hair looooves natural/organic products.

I was trying to do the commercial thing in a big way, but my hair was actin' all crazy, throwin' tantrums, yellin' and screamin', so finally I said, "Okay sweetheart, I :giveup:, what do you want?"

Her response - "Natural products pleeeease!"

So I say "Your wish is my command".:grin:

I found the powder in an indian store. I put 3 table spoon fulls in a pot of water and that stuff puffed up or jelled up to like 2 pints of product.

I had to give some away to my friends for them to use. I am going to use it as a mix with some of my amla this weekend if I can get a minute to sit back and relax.

It has some serious slip.

I feel like there was a thread about how great this was some time back, but maybe not :grin:

The ingredients look great except for that alcohol as the second ingredient :nono: I don't think my hair could handle that because it is prone to dryness.

Yeah, that was my only concern about them. I wonder why they added it:rolleyes:.

I found the powder in an indian store. I put 3 table spoon fulls in a pot of water and that stuff puffed up or jelled up to like 2 pints of product.

I had to give some away to my friends for them to use. I am going to use it as a mix with some of my amla this weekend if I can get a minute to sit back and relax.

It has some serious slip.

Hi:wave: mscocoface. Girl I used to stalk, I mean visit your fotki all the time when I first started my ayurveda haircare journey:grin:.

That's interesting Muffin. I was thinking that jojoba was a good cleanser because it was like sebum but that article says that it can remove build up sebum which can clog hair follicles.

So now I am totally confused I know that there is a sebum only crew at LHC who believe that all the hair needs is what nature provides. But sebum can clog hair follicles too? If our own juices can block up our follicles than we really do need to wash or something on a regular right? What won't clog follicles?

Interesting :scratchch. Good thing I wash my hair once a week to 2 weeks then:yep:.

The ingredients look great!
ETA: LHC is the best for information about herbs for hair use but of course a thread like that here would be so much more useful because the hair type definitely plays a part in how they are used, results, hair goals, etc.

I agree with your edit. Our hair type is different than the ladies over at LHC and hence our results may be different from theirs as well. Good point.

Hi:wave: mscocoface. Girl I used to stalk, I mean visit your fotki all the time when I first started my ayurveda haircare journey:grin:.

Took the words right out of my mouth! I used to "visit" (aka stalk, lurk, oggle) her fotki as well! Mscocoface's fotki is what introduced me to ayurveda. Her hair is the business :yep:.

Aggie & vkb247 I totally agree with you guys. I think all the ayurvedic ladies on this forum should get together and start spreading the knowledge. The ladies on LHC know their stuff, but I think that women of color and with highly textured hair can benefit from ayurvedic knowledge that's catered to our hair's specific needs.

Brainstorm: What are the main issues that women of african descent have with their hair? In general, I believe we tend to have fine, delicate hair that has less cuticle layers than most races and dries easily and is prone to matting and tangling. We also have to worry more about the protein/moisture balance of our hair. So I think that women of color can benefit from herbs that add "heft" or density to the hair, herbs that strengthen the hair and it's follicle (nettles, brahmi, amla), mucilaginous herbs that give slip (Burdock root, hibiscus, fenugreek), and herbs that seal and protect the hair (like cassia and henna). What do you ladies think?

Last edited:
Here's my reasoning on why I used nettles. It was between nettle tea or burdock root tea, because they are both high in silica, which is a mineral that's very beneficial in hair care (conditioning, thickening). I didn't use burdock root because it produces mucilage, and the fenugreek already produces mucilage.
May I ask what is mucilage? I heard of this before somewhere.
Thanks
And nettles are also very good for clearing the skin, so I made a big pot of nettle tea and mixed it in both my fenugreek hair treatment and my bentonite clay/amla powder mask.
Also, that's a great idea for the bentonite clay. I will try this also.

I think someone asked what mucilage was. Not sure who though. Mucilage is slippery plant glycoproteins. Glycoproteins are combinations of carbohydrates and proteins.

P.S. I never thought the stuff I'm learning in my Anatomy and Physiology class would be useful here :grin:.

Brainstorm: What are the main issues that women of african descent have with their hair? In general, I believe we tend to have fine, delicate hair that has less cuticle layers than most races and dries easily and is prone to matting and tangling. We also have to worry more about the protein/moisture balance of our hair. So I think that women of color can benefit from herbs that add "heft" or density to the hair, herbs that strengthen the hair and it's follicle (nettles, brahmi, amla), mucilaginous herbs that give slip (Burdock root, hibiscus, fenugreek), and herbs that seal and protect the hair (like cassia and henna). What do you ladies think?

Great! I don't have fine hair but you put that all together much better than I could. As a mixtress, I am also interested in which herbs are for conditioning, which for coloring, etc so that I can try to eliminate as many commercial products as possible from my reggie.

Took the words right out of my mouth! I used to "visit" (aka stalk, lurk, oggle) her fotki as well! Mscocoface's fotki is what introduced me to ayurveda. Her hair is the business :yep:.

Aggie & vkb247 I totally agree with you guys. I think all the ayurvedic ladies on this forum should get together and start spreading the knowledge. The ladies on LHC know their stuff, but I think that women of color and with highly textured hair can benefit from ayurvedic knowledge that's catered to our hair's specific needs.

Very well put Muffin:yep:.

I looooooooooove fenugreek. I don't know who to give the credit to--Aggie or Flowinlocks so I will give it to both of them :grin:. Slip is an understatement. I do a Kalpi Tone & Fenugreek tea rinse 1x/wk. My hair is crazy soft.

I actually thought about doing a Veda tutorial awhile back, but I didn't know if others were still interested. That would make our lives more simple to have a dedicated thread about all things Veda in terms of "how tos". That would definitely help challengers.

I'm interested and bet more are too, just look at the ayurveda thread and there is several thread that are large with interest:grin:

Has anyone had any experience with using the leaves? I was considering a tea rinse, but don't know if it would have as many benefits as the seeds or powder.

That's interesting Muffin. I was thinking that jojoba was a good cleanser because it was like sebum but that article says that it can remove build up sebum which can clog hair follicles.

So now I am totally confused I know that there is a sebum only crew at LHC who believe that all the hair needs is what nature provides. But sebum can clog hair follicles too? If our own juices can block up our follicles than we really do need to wash or something on a regular right? What won't clog follicles?

You make a good point. I'm not one to criticize others tactics (my philosophy right now is "do what works for you"), but the sebum only tactic is something I won't try. I know that a consequence of not washing my face regularly is pimples and pimples are the result of sebum that gets trapped in our pores. So if our skin on our face can get clogged like that, why not our scalp? But, like I said, that's just my reasoning. Some people say that brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush and massaging one's scalp with oils can have a cleansing affect. To each his (or her) own, :grin:.

BW face the twin pressures of both straightness and length...seeking both is causing most of the probles, even tho it's quite possible to get both. Most women simply don't know how and/or believe that African textures requires tons of extreme measures. BW would benefit by taking a more moderate approach, no matter if they are relaxed or natural. Extremes are never good...or mostly not! :grin:

I think most African textures really have no problems w/ their hair growth, but in how they treat what comes out of the head. Many try to make it do things it simply isn't designed to do and try to use products that are destructive to their hairtype. While not all African textured hair is fine, dry, or delicate...it has a TENDENCY to be at least one of the 3. It's better to be safe than sorry, I say. (LOL...Lord knows I ain't fine or delicate! My hair's strong as a horse! :lachen: Interestingly my hair isn't dry, but I treat it as if it has a tendency for dryness.) Many BW are far too impatient w/ their hair for being what it's not rather than what it is. :perplexed

If BW took a more gentle/patient approach to their styling, handling, product choices, and frequency of manipulation...they'd see far better results. Black men are living proof of this. Many of them have BEAUTIFUL heads of hair. Black men disprove the genetics (ie of African descent) argument all the time.

Well spoken :yep:. I agree that people of african descent have a wide variety of hair types, and not all the time do they fit into cookie-cutter classifications. That's why I don't like the hair typing system too much. It helps to a certain extent, but a lot of products that are said to work well for my hair type don't. That's why it's important for each one of us to get to know our own hair and stick with what works for us.

Has anyone had any experience with using the leaves? I was considering a tea rinse, but don't know if it would have as many benefits as the seeds or powder.

I have never heard of anyone using leaves in my research of this wonderful herb so I cannot make a recommendation on it's efficacy.
I have read about stinging nettle however and what I found out was that the roots of this herb is far more effective at treating and preventing balding than the leaves. So, there may be a difference as well as there may not be for fenugreek seed.

Last edited:
I've read about fenugreek leaves. The seeds are much more potent and are generally used in hair care. I'll see if I can find an internet article about fenugreek leaves.

Why bother w/ the leaves when the powder and whole seed are more easy to find/use?

:lachen: IDK why this post had me cracking up. I guess I'm easily amused. The seeds are easier to find. I can't say that I have seen fenugreek leaves, either in whole or powdered form. They can probably be purchased online, but this leads me to ask, is it really worth it? I know a lot of other herbs (sage, rosemary, nettle, brahmi, etc...) promote dark hair as well, and are much more readily available. But it would be interesting to hear from anyone that has tried the leaves.

P.S. I read in that fenugreek seed article that the ancients used to eat fenugreek seeds to help them gain weight :ohwell:. I don't think I like that :nono:. Is it fennel or fenugreek that is supposed to help enlarge our "twins"?

I boil mine then add it to the Ayurvedic powder of choice with 1 tea-spoon of conditioner...
(Strong hair with Slip)

Happy Hair Growing!

Back