Does Denman Really Work?

Candycane044

Hey ladies! As my hair gets longer I find it increasingly more difficult to detangle. Does the denman brush really work with detangling? Can anyone explain their successes or failures with this brush? Do you prefer this method or another? Lastly, what is your technique when you utilize the brush?

Thanks in advance!

I love, love, love my denman. It's the last step in a four step combing process during my wash day - fingercomb, wide tooth, medium tooth, denman.

And really, I can't say that I use it to DETANGLE - as my hair gets longer, I suspect I will, but right now I'm just using it to get the last bit of shed hair out.

I am still trying to figure out how to use the Denman. I have not had much success with it yet, but I am hopeful that improving my technique will improve the situation.

I have a Denman type brush:look: if that makes sense. But the "brush" scares me, but everyone raves about it. I need to invest.

Denman really works to get my shed hair out. It's all about the technique with the Denman. I definitely think it has to be the second step in the detangling process though. First I must finger detangle well (or for some they'd use a shower comb) and THEN use the Denman with light strokes starting at the ends of my hair. All of this with wet hair slathered in conditioner.

Denman really works to get my shed hair out. It's all about the technique with the Denman. I definitely think it has to be the second step in the detangling process though. First I must finger detangle well (or for some they'd use a shower comb) and THEN use the Denman with light strokes starting at the ends of my hair. All of this with wet hair slathered in conditioner.

Agreed.
I detangled AFTER my last step in my condish process. in the shower, after I have dc'd for an hour or so - I head to the shower - use the large comb, then use the Denman. Detangle each section. twist each section - then Stand under the shower for the final rinse. the last rinse in cold distilled water.
NO TANGLES!!!!:lick:

Hi Cheleigh,

I did buy the Denman brush after your recommendation. I love it to smooth out my hair when I pull it back but I've never tried detangling with it. I'll be sure to try that.

yes its great for detangling. recently my hair was getting very tangled and i could even touch my hair with out having shed hair every where. so this week i slathered my hair in lustrasilk cholesterol. then i used my denman. it slipped thought my hair getting all the shed hair "build up". when i rinsed it out there was like 3 hairs in the tub and nothing came out when i was styling:meme: i would only use it weekly though and finger comb for the rest of the week. i usually work from back to front because my hair is more even in the back so i can go at it in big sections. as i come to the front i do it in smaller sections and then i do my edges very carefully because they are the tightest and prone to breakage.

I use the Denman brush to remove any remaining shed hair. That is, I use it after I've already detangled....and never on dry hair. I haven't tried to use it first, like in place of my seamless comb. I might try it tonight.

I use the Denman brush to remove any remaining shed hair. That is, I use it after I've already detangled....and never on dry hair. I haven't tried to use it first, like in place of my seamless comb. I might try it tonight.

Same thing for me. I love to run it through already detangled hair to get rid of the shed ones. I won't use it on dry hair or to detangle though only because I like my routine as is.

So, let me get this straight. You ladies are using a brush to help with detangling on wet hair? I thought that was a no no!!! I have a denman brush, but i've only used it once, and it was on dry hair.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I don't know if I could be natural without my Denman. Simply put, it detangles my hair so easily. Even my dd, who used to whine and fuss when I detangled, is unfazed by detangling now.

It also defines my curls and coils.

Yes, it works. I usually use it after finger combing. If I pull it through and it gets stuck. I'll finger comb if the tangle feels that big..if not I use my bone comb. Than I pick the denman back up.

I love it. It is usually the 2nd step in a two step detangling process. The days of the 5 hour detangling sessions are long long gone.

I want to purchase a denman brush b/c of the many raves about it, but I am torn between the D3 & the D4

Which one is everyone using?

Does it matter what hair type you are?

Which one are those with 4B texture using?

I noticed on this website that that they posted a listing:

http://www.ballbeauty.com/dentrad.htm

d3.jpg

D14
Purse size. Five widely spaced rows of close set pins.Light, compact size will not pull or stretch set or natural curl. Best for short or fine hair.

D143
Same as D14 except has standard size handle.

D3
Seven row, flare pattern pins for lifting and shaping hair. An all purpose styler best for medium length and average texture hair.

D3M
Same as D3 except all components are black in color.

D4
Nine row, flare pattern pins for maximum hair penetration. Ideal for stretching out excess curl while styling. Best for long, thick or curly hair.

D4M
Same as D4 except all components are black in color.

D5
Same as D4 except has extra heavy head and handle for extremely long and very thick hair.

......And then they have paddle brushes, bristle brushes, ones that look like the traditional brushes but the teeth are spread wider apart......

Hi, Candy

A few days ago I prepoo/washed/DC my daughters 4? natural hair...I mixed about 1/2c of Stabilizer Plus w/1c DC(thick hair)...I left it on 5 hrs(I fell asleep)...before rinsing I combed through w/Jilbere comb....followed up w/ leave in/sealed....NO TANGLES :yep:...never in the history of doing her hair...I read about SB from a post by DLewis(had it in my stash from SALLY'S)....I have a Denman...never used it.

Hope this helps.
Stabilizerplus.gif

Hi, Candy

A few days ago I prepoo/washed/DC my daughters 4? natural hair...I mixed about 1/2c of Stabilizer Plus w/1c DC(thick hair)...I left it on 5 hrs(I fell asleep)...before rinsing I combed through w/Jilbere comb....followed up w/ leave in/sealed....NO TANGLES :yep:...never in the history of doing her hair...I read about SB from a post by DLewis(had it in my stash from SALLY'S)....I have a Denman...never used it.

Hope this helps.
Stabilizerplus.gif

Where did you buy this stabilizer plus?

I want to purchase a denman brush b/c of the many raves about it, but I am torn between the D3 & the D4

Which one is everyone using?

Does it matter what hair type you are?

Which one are those with 4B texture using?

I'm using the D3 right now....

2126866607_6817a60940_m.jpg

But I suspect as my hair gets longer, I'm going to need the D4....

Last edited:
I'm using the D3 right now....

2126866607_6817a60940_m.jpg

But I suspect as my hair gets longer, I'm going to need the D4....

Thanks JustKiya....

Do you think that I should just buy the D4 now so that it will work for both my current length and my longer length, or get the D3 now and wait?

Will the D4 be too much for my current length?

The denman brush works like magic on longer natural hair, I can't detangle my hair without it, it's worth the investment.

Thanks JustKiya....

Do you think that I should just buy the D4 now so that it will work for both my current length and my longer length, or get the D3 now and wait?

Will the D4 be too much for my current length?

I think you should most likely go head and get the D4.....I got the D3 because it was at Sallys, and I wanted to try out this insane brushing natural hair thing before I spent money online to have it shipped, ya know? :lol:

I just got one from trade secrets last month, it's a small one, d7 or something (cost way to much). I got another one two weeks ago from sally's, a d14 (big). I like them both. The small one can be used for smoothing and the big one for detangling. It really defines my curls. I get broken hair in both of them (mostly the small one). But I think something's wrong with my hair, cause I get the same broken hairs in a wide tooth comb, and even when I don't comb my hair, so it's not the brush.

I tossed all my brushes because I thought brushing was a no no, Guess I was wrong. I am relaxed is there a certain type I should get? Is this brush safe to use on dry hair?

Back