Does Denman Really Work?

My Denman is the only thing I use to detangle and remove shed hair. I ditched my Jilbere shower comb once I learned how to use the Denman properly.

Hi everyone,

What EXACTLY is the best way to use this brush PROPERLY?? This question is to anyone who uses the brush regularly and knows the proper technique of using it. My daughter is natural I would love to use it to detangle her hair.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I don't know if I could be natural without my Denman. Simply put, it detangles my hair so easily. Even my dd, who used to whine and fuss when I detangled, is unfazed by detangling now.

It also defines my curls and coils.

Do you mind sharing your technique- products, tools ,etc ? What number is your denman?

I guess I am the only one who hates that @&^% brush. It is like a hair torture device for me. I bought it after I heard Tracee E Ross was raving about it in a BET article years ago. I used it in the exact same way most of you use yours with completely opposite results. :perplexed

Do you mind sharing your technique- products, tools ,etc ? What number is your denman?

I have the D3.

I only use it on wet hair, usually with conditioner, gel, or curly pudding in it. I just divide my hair into maybe six sections and detangle them one by one. I start at the ends and brush, working my way up to the roots.

If I'm trying to get curl definition, I use the shingling method, using the Denman instead of a comb.

http://missjessies.com/shingling101.htm

Yes the denman works great but I don't detangle with it. I use it as more of a styler. I have to detangle before using the brush because the denman tends to pull my hair if it's tangled. I use it for styling my curls and it works like magic.

I guess I am the only one who hates that @&^% brush. It is like a hair torture device for me. I bought it after I heard Tracee E Ross was raving about it in a BET article years ago. I used it in the exact same way most of you use yours with completely opposite results. :perplexed

No, I posted that I dislike this brush, too. It hurts and pulls my hair out. I wish someone would make a video showing the right way to use it *hint hint to everyone out there*

Hi, Candy

A few days ago I prepoo/washed/DC my daughters 4? natural hair...I mixed about 1/2c of Stabilizer Plus w/1c DC(thick hair)...I left it on 5 hrs(I fell asleep)...before rinsing I combed through w/Jilbere comb....followed up w/ leave in/sealed....NO TANGLES :yep:...never in the history of doing her hair...I read about SB from a post by DLewis(had it in my stash from SALLY'S)....I have a Denman...never used it.

Hope this helps.
Stabilizerplus.gif

Ohhh this sounds wonderful! Thanks so much for this.

I'm gonna Thread Jack.....

I just went to Sally's on my lunch break to buy a Denman. Armed with my 15% coupon.

I didn't see the brush and the sales chick came over to ask if I needed help finding anything.

Yes, I said, Do you have a Denman Brush?

Denman she said....with a puzzled look. No, We don't have Denman. (but she said it so matter of factly and kinda looked at me like WTF are you talking about?

Ok thank you, I say & I go off looking around the store at other stuff. Before I go up to the register, I looked in the brush section one more time.

And there are about 10 Denman brushes on the bottom shelf.

I don't know why I even bothered with that girl. I saw her give a telephone customer bad advice once before when I was in there.

She's about 21 or 22, and looks like she's fresh out of Beauty School and thinks she knows everything.:wallbash:

Ughh!

At least I found my Denman.:yep:

I just went to Sally's on my lunch break to buy a Denman. Armed with my 15% coupon.

I didn't see the brush and the sales chick came over to ask if I needed help finding anything.

Denman she said....with a puzzled look. No, We don't have Denman. (but she said it so matter of factly and kinda looked at me like WTF are you talking about?

Ok thank you, I say & I go off looking around the store at other stuff. Before I go up to the register, I looked in the brush section one more time.

I don't know why I even bothered with that girl. I saw her give a telephone customer bad advice once before when I was in there.

She's about 21 or 22, and looks like she's fresh out of Beauty School and thinks she knows everything.:wallbash:

Ughh!

I hope you took this as a teaching opportunity because she and her advice are bad for the entire hair community.:look:
On the other hand, if she doesn't know where the good stuff is then there will be more for you when you go in there.:drunk:

Ughh!

It's really frustrating that people don 't know what they're talking about, and they definitely don't know how to help with hair tips. That's why I love this site.

After reading these reviews, I decided to go ahead and buy the Denman. Let me say it's AMAZING and I can't believe I was ever detangling my hair without it! It made detangling a breeze! It's definitely worth ever penny.

After reading these reviews, I decided to go ahead and buy the Denman. Let me say it's AMAZING and I can't believe I was ever detangling my hair without it! It made detangling a breeze! It's definitely worth ever penny.

I completely agree. I bought the big paddle brush denman (the D83) long time ago, but I stopped using that because I felt that it took out too much of my hair. So when everyone kept raving about the Denman 3 (and the Denman 4) for detangling, I was skeptical. But, I bought it last week after I examined it thoroughly the last time I was in Sally's. Let me tell you ... everyone was right!! I think the reason my D83 didn't work so well for detangling is because it has these little balls on the ends of the bristles, whereas the D3 does not (I added photos below just in case someone doesn't know what these brushes look like). Also, the bristles on the D3 seem like they are sturdier than the ones on the D83 paddle brush, which aids in the detangling process for me. Just like Lauren said, I start at the bottom and work my way up the strands. Works like a charm (and I have fine hair AND I'm transitioning)!!!

D83.jpg

D3.jpg

I don't really use mine for detangling since I don't detangle much. I use it more to pull my hair back. It gets it nice, flat and smooth. When I first bought it, I hated it. I felt like it was pulling my hair out. But when I revisited it a year later it worked for me. IDK what I was doing wrong but it's a big help to me now. Especially when doing braid outs/twist outs. I use it on each section to distribute my products before I twist that piece. I was using a small comb but the brush is better because it's easier to manuever/grip. HTH....

Oh yeah mine isn't really a Denman. It's the knockoff Annie version. The BSS I was frequenting at the time didn't sell Denman's. I might have to invest in a D3 though now that I use it.

Last edited:
I gave my D3 to my SO and got a D4 a while back. I LUV my Denman. I don't come every day but when I do this is what I use.:yep: I'm about 4 1/2 months post (If I can keep this up I won't relax until June...we'll see) And still no problems with the D4.

-A

Ughh!

This is so interesting, because this happened to me at Sally's too! (Ironically enough, it was around the same time) The woman (I should say girl, LOL), told me that they didn't sell the Denman there, and that I would need to go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond for it. Needless to say, it was sitting right in front of her face.

I've had a my Denman brush ever since I went natural. I bought one for my sister, too. Sadly, I never use mine, because I don't know how to use it for detangling. :( I wish I had the skills y'all have.

Im laughing at the sally's workers not knowing their stores... I went in to buy a d3 and the girl told me she never heard of it... Then the sistah that has been working there forever came around the corner and pointed it right out to me!!!

Denman really works to get my shed hair out. It's all about the technique with the Denman. I definitely think it has to be the second step in the detangling process though. First I must finger detangle well (or for some they'd use a shower comb) and THEN use the Denman with light strokes starting at the ends of my hair. All of this with wet hair slathered in conditioner.

That is what I do. I use a shower comb before using the brush.

I started off using the Conair version of the brush (which worked fine). But I brought the real thing the other day and used it last night. I can definitely say I see a diff. btwn. the two. Both work, but the Denman is definitely better. It gives me great curls. It gets out shed hair and smooths my hair really well.

Back