Does anyone ever REGRET going natural?

How do you really feel about your decision to go natural?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't vote coz don't think of hair in terms of absolutes. No hair style is permanent for me. I'm happily natural now but if I wanted to get a relaxer tomorrow, I'd do it. And if I got tired of the relaxer, I'd cut it off. I believe in hair flexibility - so I don't have regrets pertaining to hair.

i'm now relaxed again but absolutely not. going natural was one of the best decisions i could have made.

Wow, me too. And doesn't it seem like the worst thing that could have possibly happened?? I have woken up sweating and grabbing my head due to a relaxer nightmare! Crazy. That says alot about how the whole process of relaxing affected me subconsciously...:smh:

YES! Heavy breathing and dang near in tears. :lol:

It was the freedom that I felt like had been taken away. So many years of trying to grow relaxed hair, the vicious cycle of looong stretches and bunning just to relax and enjoy my hair for what?? two weeks. Relaxers made me a slave to my hair. I mean after 4 weeks post wearing it down was just not the same. It just didn't hang right with 4a/b roots.

Dear relaxed heads who deep inside want to go natural but think they can't,

I am the last person in the world who thought they could wear their natural hair. I hadn't seen my natural hair since the 2nd grade, and the memories weren't that great ok. I'm a girly girl, I like hair. Long, flowy, straight:look:, bouncy hair. I'm not into the kinky look, it's just not my style. You have options. Times are different. The Hair Art flat iron and FHI blowdryer are not your mama's pressing comb. If you are fighting with breakage, vicous cycles of relaxer stretching, and a 10 step maintenace regimen then consider the alternative. You have no idea what your natural hair can do. And guess what?? If you don't like it you can find relaxer on every drugstore shelf in America.:yep:

Love,

ChanelNo5

I picked "I am happy I went natural-wouldn't change it for the world! "

I was natural all the way up until I was 26... believe it or not, I moved to the US and I wanted try a perm...lol and I immediately transitioned because my hair fell out.
I will NEVER go back to a perm, I don't even know if I will ever even straighten again because I have become so afraid of heat damage.

Being natural is the only way I know how to take care of my hair and I think i look weird with my hair straight..and it's just too much for my thin strands to handle.

Well said.

I went natural because I felt like ..straight hair was boring. But my 4b hair is a hand full. I will never go back to relaxers, I love not being dependent on stylist to slap in the perm curl my hair. By going natural I feel very educated. We should get degrees for the stiff we know ladies.

I do often wonder that with all my knowledge now... If I could've achieved long, lively premed hair and bypassed the natural stage. That's all I really want anyways..

The first time I went natural in 1998 I began to regret my decision a few months later as my hair began to grow out and I did not know what do with it. There weren't nearly as many resources for new naturals back then. I lived on a forum set up on everythingblack.com (remember them?), but eventually began (what people now call) texlaxing, and I did so until 2005.

In 2005, I stopped with the chemicals all together and I'm glad that I did it.

I'm with you.

I've been dealing with my natural hair for a while. I'm still natural and I'm glad I went, but I'm not going to be joining the chorus and say that it's the only way for me. IRL, I often tell women that you gotta find what works for you and not think it's all roses. It may not be for you.

I think I regret going natural without learning how to deal with my relaxed hair, though. I never bothered trying to. So I wonder if I can replicate what I know now to relaxed hair. I do enjoy being natural now and working through the issues, but at the end of the day, relaxed hair was less time consuming for me and a lot more fun.
Then why dont you relax ur hair...I'm one of those people that thinks relaxing or natural..its not that deep..If I didnt enjoy my natural hair..I would tex or relax in an heartbeat..if u prefer relaxed hair..then relax ur hair...and get the flyest relaxed style ever..:grin:.

I can't vote coz don't think of hair in terms of absolutes. No hair style is permanent for me. I'm happily natural now but if I wanted to get a relaxer tomorrow, I'd do it. And if I got tired of the relaxer, I'd cut it off. I believe in hair flexibility - so I don't have regrets pertaining to hair.

Ditto. I don't regret being natural all that time. it was a very necessary thing for me to do and experience. :yep: I'm positive that I'll go back to it someday... just not today. :lol:

It was the freedom that I felt like had been taken away. So many years of trying to grow relaxed hair, the vicious cycle of looong stretches and bunning just to relax and enjoy my hair for what?? two weeks. Relaxers made me a slave to my hair. I mean after 4 weeks post wearing it down was just not the same. It just didn't hang right with 4a/b roots.

I am the last person in the world who thought they could wear their natural hair. I hadn't seen my natural hair since the 2nd grade, and the memories weren't that great ok. I'm a girly girl, I like hair. Long, flowy, straight:look:, bouncy hair. I'm not into the kinky look, it's just not my style. You have options. Times are different. The Hair Art flat iron and FHI blowdryer are not your mama's pressing comb. If you are fighting with breakage, vicous cycles of relaxer stretching, and a 10 step maintenace regimen then consider the alternative. You have no idea what your natural hair can do. And guess what?? If you don't like it you can find relaxer on every drugstore shelf in America.:yep:

Love,

ChanelNo5

mama PREAAACCHHHHH!

Love,

ChanelNo5

I LOVE THIS!:yep:

although the electric pressing comb is my boo:look: even old school has been revived and is more reliable that back in the day.:cool2:

Last edited:
I went natural four years ago and I've never regretted it. It's awesome lol!

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

Not at all. For one, if I wanted to relax again I could do it in a heartbeat without having to cut any hair, but it doesn't work the other way around.

I'm not even going to lie, I grew out my relaxer bc my hair/scalp just kept acting up no matter what I did. So really I did it out of frustration and necessity. If I had thick healthy relaxed long hair, I probably would not have stop relaxing.

I do regret using so much heat early in my transition, some of my ends are really dried out.

I don't regret it at all. I transitioned for 13 months, and I don't wish I BCed sooner at all. I'm glad I found a way that was good for me.

Well I'm transitioning, but no, I haven't regretted it. My decision to go natural was based on curiosity. I haven't seen my natural hair since I was 4. And of course I don't remember it before then. I am oh so excited about having a head full of coilys! :) This has also been a learning journey for me as well. Oh, and I don't think I'll relax again. I seriously doubt that. But we'll see.

I don't regret my decision at all. It was the right decision for me and my life. I transitioned for 11 months before doing my own BC. I loved it, I tried new things with my hair almost every other day. I have had thoughts of relaxers, I think it's human nature to wonder what if. For me, at this point in my life, I have no plans to relax my hair.

I regret not going to the barber like my husband suggested to do the BC. I transitioned for 6 months and I know I hacked most of that progress off wth my no-skillz-having cut job. Although like most, I have days when I'd rather rock a lace front. Then I have these incredible days where I love my hair and I'm so proud of it's black, thick kinky curls and coils. But then again, I've always been that way about my hair in general. I don't necessarily think it's because I went natural. More so because my hair is schizophernic.:grin:

Last edited:
I totally enjoyed my relaxed hair journey - I learned how to take care of my relaxed hair and learned to love my hair. I transitioned for 18 months so I had some length to work with when I chopped :yep:

I'm really happy with my decision and I did it at the right time.

I :love: my hair.

This is my second time going natural. The first time I lasted 9 months and relaxed, but missed my natural hair!! So I waited 12 weeks and big chopped again. I feel like I know more this time around, so I don't regret it at all.

I am 19 months into my trainsition and i also keep my hair straight (blowdry and flat iron). I have but an inch of relaxed ends left.

What i have learned about my hair type(3c/4a with very fine strands) is that it behaves in exactly the same way whether relaxed or natural - so i figure relaxing my hair again is just pointless.....

For example....
Relaxed - cannot airdry as it turns into a tangly, frizzy mess no matter what technique i use so i have to blowdry and flatiron - I feel my ends are sealed doing this.
Natural - behaves the same.

Relaxed - because i sweat from my scalp my hair frizzes out easily if i go to the gym or out clubbing so i have to style my hair pulled back and sleek.

Relaxed - hair only looks fresh for about 3 days after a wash and style then i have to wear it pulled back.
natural - behaves the same way.

Relaxed - suffer from a dry, flaky scalp that i have to wash once a week.
natural - exactly the same.

relaxed - the wash, blowdry and style session takes about 2 and a half hours.
Natural - exactly the same.

However as a straight-haired natural people have been complimenting how shiny and healthy my hair looks compared to being relaxed and straight. When i run my fingers through my straight natural hair it feels unbelievably soft but through my relaxed hair it has a stiffness to it.

Last edited:
I am 19 months into my trainsition and i also keep my hair straight (blowdry and flat iron). I have but an inch of relaxed ends left.

What i have learned about my hair type(3c/4a with very fine strands) is that it behaves in exactly the same way whether relaxed or natural - so i figure relaxing my hair again is just pointless.....

For example....
Relaxed - cannot airdry as it turns into a tangly, frizzy mess no matter what technique i use so i have to blowdry and flatiron - I feel my ends are sealed doing this.

Relaxed - because i sweat from my scalp my hair frizzes out easily if i go to the gym or out clubbing so i have to style my hair pulled back and sleek.

Relaxed - hair only looks fresh for about 3 days after a wash and style then i have to wear it pulled back.

However as a straight-haired natural people have been complimenting how shiny and healthy my hair looks compared to being relaxed and straight. When i run my fingers through my straight natural hair it feels unbelievably soft but through my relaxed hair it has a stiffness to it.

Hey, I'm a fine hair natural also, with very little no curl pattern. I'm curious to know you flat-ironing regimen and if you are experience split-ends, etc. I'm new to LHCF, mind if I had you has a friend?

Hey, I'm a fine hair natural also, with very little no curl pattern. I'm curious to know you flat-ironing regimen and if you are experience split-ends, etc. I'm new to LHCF, mind if I had you has a friend?

Hi Cocoeuro,

Thats cool.

I do have a very defined curl pattern to my hair but the strands are so thin and fragile and frizz and tangle easily.

My regime is simple.
- Coat hair (not scalp) in Almond oil (any oil will do for me except oilive oil as its drying for me) and comb through.
- Wash with castile liquid soap (only thing that thorougly cleans my scalp.
- Apply Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and then rinse
- Apply deep conditioner and rinse after say an hour or so, warap hair in towel for 5 mins.
- Apply Jamaican mango and Lime leave-in and then John Freida's Frizz Ease serum for heat (its orange).
- Detangle in 4 sections and then blowdry those sections with a comb attachment.
- Flat iron my hair in small setions using a small amount of CHI serum on each section.

I have no heat damage but i guess i'm heat training and have found that where i naturally have a loose texture around the front of my head - those curls are now looser.

I moisturise my straight hair with a small amount of the leave in and then seal with an oil - there is a recent thread on how to moisturise flat-ironed hair in between washes.

Hope that helps.

Oh - not many split ends to worry about now that i flat iron regularly, keeps my ends from fraying out. However i do have about an inch of relaxer on the ends.

Last edited:

For example....

I know EXACTLY what you mean by this. When I flat ironed my hair for Xmas my natural hair came out SO soft where as my relaxed ends felt extremely stiff. It just gave me another reason to keep transitioning.

I realize now that I regret going natural whenever my hair gets really dry, but love it again when it's moist and behaving. I just need to keep perspective.

My relaxed hair was much more manageable b/c I have 3-4 different textures on my one head. The dryness I had with natural hair, I didn't with a relaxer. The need for 20 different products when natural, I didn't have with a relaxer. The challenge of styling when natural, I didn't have when I was relaxed.

I've been natural & went to a curly perm trying to tame my textures. Now I'm 12 months into a transition & seriously considering returning to texlaxing.

I don't regret going natural...I do wish that my hair straightened easier so I can have more versatility (and I wish that it wasn't so deceptively thin (looks thick on camera right? lol) and oddly shaped so that "out" styles looked better). I'm just tired of wearing it back for a lack of options.

I don't think i've ever tempted to go back. I hated transitioning, and felt so relieved when I cut the relaxed strands off. Never doing that again

Been on it since 1995. I regret not learning about HH practices so late!
I have nightmares of putting a relaxer in my hair...
Hey, you can always wear weaves :) That's what I got now...

Back