Does anyone ever REGRET going natural?

How do you really feel about your decision to go natural?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I was natural I didn't regret it... I was just irritated that it took me longer to do my hair and I'm pretty lazy :lol: I'll sit with conditioner on my head for forever but as far as actually doing hair... nope, not for me.

I used to regret it ……or at least wish I had just permed again and got over it while transitioning.

I AM SO HAPPY THAT I DID NOT PERM!!!!
I am happy as a straight natural. My hair is almost as straight as when I had a perm….but even better because every time I wash and do my hair, it feels like a fresh touchup.

I learned how to wash/condition my hair properly. I also learned how to blow dry properly and to flat iron well. With all these steps perfected, my hair comes out salon quality every time. BUT even better because I make sure my hair is conditioned, properly detangled, and straightened with far less heat than what they do in the salon. My hair is healthier and on track to get just as long (even longer!) than when I was permed.

I don't do wash n gos because my curl pattern won't support it. I do braid n curls. It lasts for days and stays moisturized until I wash again. LOVE IT!

LOVING MY HAIR!

What
I used to regret it ……or at least wish I had just permed again and got over it while transitioning.

I AM SO HAPPY THAT I DID NOT PERM!!!!
I am happy as a straight natural. My hair is almost as straight as when I had a perm….but even better because every time I wash and do my hair, it feels like a fresh touchup.

I learned how to wash/condition my hair properly. I also learned how to blow dry properly and to flat iron well. With all these steps perfected, my hair comes out salon quality every time. BUT even better because I make sure my hair is conditioned, properly detangled, and straightened with far less heat than what they do in the salon. My hair is healthier and on track to get just as long (even longer!) than when I was permed.

I don't do wash n gos because my curl pattern won't support it. I do braid n curls. It lasts for days and stays moisturized until I wash again. LOVE IT!

LOVING MY HAIR!
What is braid and curl?

Only when I dont do hair night before and cant just comb down and go, Lol...
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!! This is my BIGGEST gripe about my natural hair. I miss the freeness of relaxed hair! I miss getting up in the morning and just going through the door and putting in a ponytail/bun/whatever. Now, my hair has to be twisted the night before if I plan on wearing it loose the next day (which is 98%) of the time. That means if I have an errand to run in the morning, my hair is still in flat twists. I also don't enjoy if I get home late or just not up to retwisting, but I know what the outcome will be next day if I don't. I tried to pineapple last weekend and I wasn't too fond of how my hair looked next day, it was fine for the wknd, but not really for work. I usually do my hair on a Sunday, that means I have wet/damp flat twists for the whole day. I ain't going nowhere special. So in short -- I miss the convenience of my relaxed hair.

What

What is braid and curl?

It is where you section your hair, do three-strand braids, and leave the last inch of hair at the ends unbraided so that you can curl it around a perm rod.

When I do it, I always over saturate my hair with conditioner and heavy seal. It takes about a good two days for me to airdry but it lasts for days without me remoisturizing. I just sleep with a bonnet cap at night without doing anything else. As the days go by it actually looks better - like a "wash n go" bc people think it's my natural pattern but it's not.

Not me but a pic I found online to illustrate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 18
Nope, don't regret a thing, “I’m wondering what took me so long.” I've been on this hair journey for years, I've washed, conditioned, moisturized and sealed my relaxed hair religiously and my hair never really looked the way I thought it should. So in 2014, I transitioned for 6 months then chopped, first the back, then one month later the front. The back was breaking off (dealing with two textures) and I was on-the-fence. At first I had no intentions of going "natural" but I was afraid of doing a touch-up. I went to Youtube and saw how others were dealing with natural hair and realized I was not enjoying my hair the way I should. I wasn’t wearing any afros, twist-outs, or bantu knots. So I cut the front in May, one month later, and I can actually say I’m one year natural and almost two years without a relaxer. Since being natural, I’ve noticed that there are a lot of little hairs springing up all over my head so I know I'm on the right track. Hopefully, in another 2/3 years, I'll be content with what I have.:afro:

I dont regret it but I definitely spend more time on my natural hair. Im not going to lie, I went through a major phase of identity crisis for the first few months. I had to really change my mindset. It bothered me that I wasn't comfortable with my natural hair so i was determined to overcome that. Insecurity is not in my repertoire.

This has definitely been a journey but Ive learned to finally love my hair (Although I am about to dye it black again bc i hate my sandy brown color. not changing that).

Briefly but I think I'm just over this learning curve. I transitioned for 17 months but this started as a long stretch. Once I decided that my long stretch was actually going to be a transition the plan was to continue for at least 24 months. My relaxed ends were not a playing nice and in frustration I chopped. Hair is easier to wash but I'm spending far too much time with styling (made worse as I'm still trying to figure out what products to use). I'm already over planning everything around my hair. Throwing braids in this weekend. I don't regret it but my current frustration level is high.

I regret not transitioning sooner. Not only do I love my coils, but my cheapskate self cringes at the fact that I spent $100 every 8 weeks. To make matters worse, I couldn't drink coffee before my salon appointments (caffeine increased the pain for me) or do my crucial morning run (sweaty scalp=scabs later). So no coffee+no run= a very grumpy and jittery overtherainbow. Did I also mention the $100 every 8 weeks? Not to mention the countless in-between blow outs? It's too late in the evening to do the math now but I got a relaxer about every 8 weeks from the age of 6 until I was approx 19. If I were to put that money in a savings account instead of in my hair, I would probably be able to pay off my MA with enough cash to spare for an all inclusive trip to Costa Rica. I've decided that when I have children, I will be that annoying mom that wouldn't let her daughter relax her hair until she's 18 and instead put the money towards a college fund. Ain't no way I'm paying for that again!

Back