Do you WANT/Did you HAVE a BIG WEDDING??

I'd prefer a small one. I wanted to go to an island to do it, but have since changed my mind. I'm not sure where I'd have it at this point.

My only requirement for my wedding is I get married here:

BeachPics002.jpg

other than that, it could just be me FI and the JP

oooooooooh invite me!!! :grin:

This weekend I was in a big wedding for my cousin.

It was very fabulous! But I could tell it was very expensive but everyone had a great time.

But me personally after being in 3 big weddings, I just want to get married in my pastor's office, have a BBQ afterwards and then hop on a plane to have a very expensive honeymoon where it is all about me and my new husband...:blush::drunk::blush:

No I didn't have a big wedding. Truth be told I just wanted to go to the courthouse, but Dh wanted the wedding. We had a small church wedding and a nice reception.

I am a practical person and don't believe spending large amounts of $$$ unless it is for a home, car, etc.

I don't want a big wedding, but I have a feeling I'll end up having one:look:. I have a very large family, and they'd all be feeling some type of way about not being invited, and I'd want them all to be there. I don't want to spend a whole lot though. It's about the commitment, and I'm all about being able to live well after the weddings over.

I don't want a big wedding, but I have a feeling I'll end up having one:look:. I have a very large family, and they'd all be feeling some type of way about not being invited, and I'd want them all to be there. I don't want to spend a whole lot though. It's about the commitment, and I'm all about being able to live well after the weddings over.

This is precisely why I want a small one, away from my hometown. That way, I don't have to worry about most of the extended family. I have no intention of dealing w/that kind of drama on my day, because that's EXACTLY what would happen.

More than a big expensive wedding, I want the 'marriage' instead. The wedding is only one day and Marriage is for a lifetime.

If 'we' can afford it, than by all means I'd love to have a 'splendid event', but I refuse to go broke or enter into a marriage 'in debt' because we went overboard in wedding expenses. That's no way to begin a new life together as one. ;)

I didn't have a big wedding. It was a noon wedding with about 60 people. More could have been invited, but I wasn't paying for all those folks. :look:

I remember seeing your wedding pictures in your album. You had a gorgeous, simple and elegant wedding. I love intimate weddings!

I didn't want a big wedding. I wanted to go to City Hall and call it a day. His/mine parents wasn't trying to hear it. They started planning this big wedding. I wasn't really happy about but I just let it be. Then So and I found out that we might have to move around the same time the wedding was to take place. I told everybody that the wedding planning is cancelled. They understand the reason why we had to cancel. Now we are getting married in PR for around $6,000. We are going to use the money we where going to spent on the wedding to buy our apartment/house and get really nice rings. I couldn't be any happier with our plains. :spinning:

Last edited:
I had a big wedding. I hated it. Worst day of my life. I would have rather spend that money on something else. BUT DH said he wanted a big ghetto party. :perplexed I think my next wedding will be very small.

i was just talking about this last night..

no i dont want the whole big extravaganza wedding

i wanna fly a couple ppl-family/friends..maybe 20 ppl out to the Caribbean..party and kic kit for a week then get married..and then go on my honeymoon at another location..

simple and str8 to the point...pass the coconut water please..lmaoooooooooo

i wanna fly a couple ppl-family/friends..maybe 20 ppl out to the Caribbean..party and kic kit for a week then get married..and then go on my honeymoon at another location..

That's IT right there.

me and my boyfriend are discussing engagement and weddings.
we both agree on something small and out of town.
probably hawaii.

i've been in enough weddings and sang at enough to know that the bride is usually stressed outta her mind IF she doesn't have good reliable help.

also, i don't wanna spend thousands of dollars for my relatives (who I love, but don't LIKE) to sit there and talk about ME and diss the cermony, attire, decorations etc. - like they do at everyone else's weddings.

we're discussing a budget and planning to save for a year plus.
we'd rather have a great vacation for US instead of a party for others to enjoy.

My mother and I have been talking about my "future" wedding :rolleyes:

My mom LOVES to plan events and all that hoopla. I LOVE to party but I don't really like the tab associated with throwing a big party.

I told her I'd tell her and my dad the day to come to the courthouse and I'd get married there. It's about the marriage not the wedding. I was thinking money used for an elaborate wedding could be used to upgrade a house.

But she's says that's taking something away from her as my mother :nono:

So tell me ladies, did you have/do you want a big wedding and reception? Do you feel it's important? Is it taking something away from the parents by not wanting to let them have the BIG DAY of giving away their daughter?

What sound economic thinking. If I had known what it was really going to be like I would not have had a big wedding. I think weddings should celebrate the beginning of the couple's married life and the bigger the wedding the more difficult it is to remember the true purpose. You become bogged down in minutiae. For example, the more attendants you have the more cars you have to have to get them to the reception and the bigger the dressing area has to be and on and on and on. I had 10 attendants and a maid of honor. The war in Iraq was not planned as well as that wedding. It was tough to make it not all about the planning and details and about DH and myself. My memories of that day are beautiful because I love DH dearly but it was a production not a celebration. I had a huge wedding so I don't want to be accused of "hating" and trying to prevent others from having what I had. I am just saying a big wedding takes a great deal of planning and attention to detail to do well and leaves little spontaneous time or time for contemplation on the most special day of your life. Example, it took so long to get me into my dress (10 foot train, don't do) that my mother and father had exactly 3 minutes to do the "my baby is getting married, you look so beautiful, I love you" before we had to get back the to the schedule. In addition, you don't want to do a big wedding, badly because then you just look stupid. Also, big weddings are very expensive and if you can't really afford it without delaying something important like buying a home, paying off student loans, etc. it is not worth. It also looks tacky when you try to have a big wedding and can't really afford it and cut obvious corners.

This is exactly what I'm doing.

I didn't have a big wedding. I saved for a year and payed for everything in cash. Today I wouldn't even do that. I would elope.

The first time I got married, I had a wedding. I will not do that again, I hated it :nono: even though the wedding was small. Its just not my cup of tea. When/if I get married again, I will have a destination wedding or a private ceremony in a church chapel. Preferably with just me and my SO.

I'd prefer a small wedding and even think it would be cool to get eloped. A big wedding just seems like a lot of work and money. I'd rather save that money for our first home together.

However, my boyfriend has said that he'd like a large wedding so who knows what will happen:ohwell:

What sound economic thinking. If I had known what it was really going to be like I would not have had a big wedding. I think weddings should celebrate the beginning of the couple's married life and the bigger the wedding the more difficult it is to remember the true purpose. You become bogged down in minutiae. For example, the more attendants you have the more cars you have to have to get them to the reception and the bigger the dressing area has to be and on and on and on. I had 10 attendants and a maid of honor. The war in Iraq was not planned as well as that wedding. It was tough to make it not all about the planning and details and about DH and myself. My memories of that day are beautiful because I love DH dearly but it was a production not a celebration. I had a huge wedding so I don't want to be accused of "hating" and trying to prevent others from having what I had. I am just saying a big wedding takes a great deal of planning and attention to detail to do well and leaves little spontaneous time or time for contemplation on the most special day of your life. Example, it took so long to get me into my dress (10 foot train, don't do) that my mother and father had exactly 3 minutes to do the "my baby is getting married, you look so beautiful, I love you" before we had to get back the to the schedule. In addition, you don't want to do a big wedding, badly because then you just look stupid. Also, big weddings are very expensive and if you can't really afford it without delaying something important like buying a home, paying off student loans, etc. it is not worth. It also looks tacky when you try to have a big wedding and can't really afford it and cut obvious corners.

I agree with alot of your post. I so hate to see couples that obviously can't afford a wedding, especially a big wedding and cut corners. It is so tacky in my opinion. I mean, why not have a private ceremony and put the money toward a house?

Some years ago the parents of a girlfriend of mine offered her 25,000 in cash for a home downpayment or a big wedding. Do you know she chose the wedding and after they got married they moved into an apartment that they are still living in now. This made absolutely no sense to me :nono:

Big pimpin!:lachen:

I'd feel like a plum dumb fool big pimpin' for one day and then leave the wedding to go back home to our APARTMENT. :lol: Helllll nah!
I know some people who did exactly that. The bride's parents spent darn near 30K on the wedding and reception. They could had a down payment on a nice house for that kind of money!

I don't think my wedding was big. I had two bridesmaids and a little over 100 people attended. When I was younger, I was all about the fantasy fairytale wedding. By the time my nuptials drew near, I was like "We can just go to City Hall." But my traditional about to be dh wasn't having that :grin:.

I once saw a billboard advertising wedding loans :nono:. If you need to take out a loan to get married, your priorities are out of whack.

If I ever get married...I just wanna go get the marriage license and be married.

I could wear sweatpants and uggs and he could wear jeans and a tshirt.

I don't need all that extra.

I want a small destination wedding. Then I can have a reception back home if I want to. I just don't see the point of spending so much money and starting my marriage in debt. I still remember a Bridezillas episode where the bride took out a second mortgage and still didn't have enough money.

When I was in my 20s I wanted a big, lavish wedding. But after seeing my sister plan hers I rather run to the justic of the peace. My sister only had six bridesmaids and that's was family only. Me, my two sisters, cousin and my two daughter as maid of honor and flowergirl. It was the same for her husband. He had his three brothers, my nephew (ringbearer) and 2 close friends. That was it. I would say it was about 100 people. We are from a large family, too. But a number of them couldn't make it.

As for me, I rather have a fall wedding maybe in October or November. I love the fall season. Only close family and friends no more than 100 guests but we know that number will grow. A nice elegant dress. I'm going to make it as small and intimate as possible. The budget should be no more than 5000. And that's it. I'm willing to cut corners, too. As for the honeymoon, I want to go to Hilton Head Island in SC or the Poconos.

A big wedding is not neccesary. It's going to be just a lot of people there for the free food and drinks.

We had a big wedding, and we loved every minute of it. My mother and planner did most of the planning, which was fine with us. We focused more on premarital counseling (went to an independent counselor as well as a faith based one) as we wanted to make sure we were ready for what marriage entails. We had over 400 guests and everyone danced, ate, and had a great time. We got married in October 2006, and we are still opening and receiving wedding gifts! Only two people acted a fool--my paternal grandmother and one of my paternal aunts--but we were never close, so there is no love lost. And, we didn't have to sacrifice anything because the wedding was a gift from our parents. Six months after the wedding we were able to move into our new home (had to wait for our townhouse to sell).

Back