Do you think that white girls have it easier?

I don't know, you guys...I haven't been natural since I was 12, but I distinctly remember that even trying to get my natural hair into a pony tail holder was a chore. I read the routines of naturals on the board, and they don't sound all that simple, IMO...Then the stories of knots, excessive tangles from just wearing the hair out, having to airdry in braids or twists, etc. It doesn't sound that easy to me.

While Black hair is very versatile (probably the most versatile of all hair types when it comes to keeping a style), I def. don't think it's as easy as any other hair type. And just b/c I think it's harder to take care of, doesn't mean I think it's worse or deficient in any way. I just think it requires more care and effort to keep it healthy and looking good in comparison to others.

I definitely disagree. I am natural and my regimen is very simple. I cowash every morning and wear a wash and go. I don't even bother using any styling products. I detangle once a week out of habit. I have no issues with excessive tangles and knots...:yep:

Well, if the question is "do they have it easier?", the answer is going to depend on what "it" is. Put into a style that can hold and last for a long time, I have it easier. Wash and comb w/o breaking in a short amount of time, straighter hair has it easier. It depends on what you want to do with your hair. And of course, just as all black people don't have the same texture, all white people do not, either. But I've had white and Asian roommates and most of my time is spent around white people and in general they seems to be less stressed and concerned, but that is very general. My Korean roommate had the easiest hair on the planet (around bsl) and there is no way my hair could be that easy unless I had a twa. I don't even think dreadlocks could be that easy for me. And it always looked good. I never saw her spend more than 10 minutes (max!) on her hair.

I had like 500 quotes multi-quoted, and then Mwedzi summed up everything I was going to say SO nicely!

Do white women have it easier to have pin straight hair that has 'swang'? Of course they do - it's usually the hair that grows out of their head.

Do black women have it easier to have braids that stay in for a week at a time? Of course they do, because it's working with the hair that grows out of their head.

Do white women have a hard time maintaining tightedly curled hair? Why, yes, they do, as it goes against what their hair naturally does.

Do black women have a hard time maintaining pin straight hair? Why, yes, they do, as it goes against what their hair naturally does.

We give so much power to our hair, and we often allow it to control how we feel about ourselves as a person much more than people of other colors do - and I think that, more than anything else, makes our hair care seem 'more difficult'.

Taint the hair that's the issue, it's how we value, deal with, prefer to style and wear our hair that's the issue. Marcus Garvey said it best, though.

It's not easier. I chock it up to education. I was not educated on how to care for my natural hair. I believe if this education was available, that we'd have an easier time with "our" hair too. My white friends envy black hair because it is so versatile. We could do so much styles and still have our hair look good. :lachen:

*nod* Anything is hard to do if you don't know what the heck yo uare doing - or have been taught that totally WRONG things to do.

Why do you think the iasle of the beauty supply stores or target, walmart are twice as long as the black hair iasles? Perms, colors, gels,Mouse, shampoo, Conditioners. The Grass is always greener on the other side of the Fence. I love transforming a head of hair, wether it be Black, White, My real love is of Mix culture were the mther has no idea what to do...

People with looser hair textures (straight to loosely curled hair is NOT a strictly white feature) do have some advantages.

We also have some advantages over them, but overall they have a much easier time growing their hair out than the average person with kinky hair.

Detangling is usually much easier for them. Also, there isn't as much pressure to straighten and relax their hair on a social level, so they damage their hair less severely (bleach can do a number on you though :lachen:)

They naturally have more cuticles on the hair shaft, more shine and MUCH less shrinkage so growth is much more noticeable.

Kinky hair is very versatile, we can go straight, wavy, curly and kinky and it'll HOLD. Kinky hair is more exotic and beautiful imo. Black people tend not to have naturally greasy hair and scalps... our hair stays cleaner much longer and tends not to stink a few days after washing.

Yes, they do have it easier in many ways... but that doesn't mean that kinky hair is somehow inferior. I hope that we can all work with what we have instead of lusting after what other people have.

Let me see. In terms of hair, yes and no. Some white women have it easier with their hair. Some don't. I know white women who struggle with their hair and have just as many problems with it as some black women. I have a regimen that is less complicated than some of my white colleagues. Does the ethnic section irritate me when I see it? A little bit, just because the products have so many chemicals in them and claim they are natural, and it's chock full of perms and doo-rag kits and S-curl kits for guys (like those are the only hair care options), if they have anything at all...some 'ethnic' sections are just embarassing. You can see the aisles of beauty supplies with the plethora of products. For every frustrated BW that walks down that aisle, there are at least 2-3 frustrated WW walking down the same aisle. I have been to Target and heard them moan and gripe about conditioners that didn't work and shampoos that left them with Brillo...and they can get just as upset about their hair as the rest of us do...

People with looser hair textures (straight to loosely curled hair is NOT a strictly white feature) do have some advantages.

We also have some advantages over them, but overall they have a much easier time growing their hair out than the average person with kinky hair.

Detangling is usually much easier for them. Also, there isn't as much pressure to straighten and relax their hair on a social level, so they damage their hair less severely (bleach can do a number on you though :lachen:)

They naturally have more cuticles on the hair shaft, more shine and MUCH less shrinkage so growth is much more noticeable.

Kinky hair is very versatile, we can go straight, wavy, curly and kinky and it'll HOLD. Kinky hair is more exotic and beautiful imo. Black people tend not to have naturally greasy hair and scalps... our hair stays cleaner much longer and tends not to stink a few days after washing.

Yes, they do have it easier in many ways... but that doesn't mean that kinky hair is somehow inferior. I hope that we can all work with what we have instead of lusting after what other people have.

nicely put...

I don't think that they have it easier. Their issues are just different. I find that white people (men and women) compliment my different hairstyles all of the time! It's harder for us to achieve/maintain length, but we are blessed with versatility.

i agree. if more black women liked what their natural texture was they wouldn't see a problem with it, in other words if the idea of something being beautiful wasn't pin straight hair or loose curls then i think black women would have it 'easy'. But since a lot of black women manipulate their hair so much and go against what their hair naturally does of course it won't be easy. White women have it easier because they use products that tend to enhance their hair type and not against it. Like i have a friend who has naturally wavy hair and if she just uses a bit of gel or moose after a shampoo it'll give her loose waves. I think no matter what hair type black women and white women end up having to re do their hair every morning, but i know white girls who just have to wash their hair, tie it in a bun with moose and the next morning have gorgeous hair. I just think white people have a better idea of what does what to their hair and aren't lied to as much when it comes to products, and what is and isn't good for their hair. Plus they do their own hair more because most white women only go to the salon if getting a hair cut while black women go sometimes 3 times a month to the hair salon.

ITA it depends onif you want to work with or against your hair.
if you have 4z hair and you want silky pin straight hair everyday then it will be hard. I also think learning to do your own hair is key to good hair health. stylists are only concerned with style not health or nothing else.
products have catered to straighter hairtypes forever, i beleive that they pick up the right hair habits for their hair from the women in their families, so they grow up knowing what to do with their hair. have you noticed that Indian girls who treat their hair like stereotypical white girls dont have that silky shiny long hair ?
thats cause theyre not following the right regime for their hairtype.
there are curlygirls who just have to bun it at night then shake and go in the morn too.

I think honestly, to each his own. I think you never really know until you have walked in someone else's shoes, and since i've never had type 1 hair, I don't think I'm qualified to make that judgement. However, I do believe that with each texture comes its own difficulties and frustrations. I don't think they're can ever be an accurate scale of which texture is harder to deal with- just that everyone has they're own individual struggles in their personal hair care. Simple as that:)

I had like 500 quotes multi-quoted, and then Mwedzi summed up everything I was going to say SO nicely!

Do white women have it easier to have pin straight hair that has 'swang'? Of course they do - it's usually the hair that grows out of their head.

Do black women have it easier to have braids that stay in for a week at a time? Of course they do, because it's working with the hair that grows out of their head.

Do white women have a hard time maintaining tightedly curled hair? Why, yes, they do, as it goes against what their hair naturally does.

Do black women have a hard time maintaining pin straight hair? Why, yes, they do, as it goes against what their hair naturally does.

We give so much power to our hair, and we often allow it to control how we feel about ourselves as a person much more than people of other colors do - and I think that, more than anything else, makes our hair care seem 'more difficult'.

Taint the hair that's the issue, it's how we value, deal with, prefer to style and wear our hair that's the issue. Marcus Garvey said it best, though.

*nod* Anything is hard to do if you don't know what the heck yo uare doing - or have been taught that totally WRONG things to do.

thats what Im trying to say ITA

While i agree that a lot of black women spend more time on their weaves than their real hair, i think that a lot of the problems black women have with haircare is lack of information/knowledge about why our hair is different and what our hair needs. Simple things like thinking that putting grease on your hair actually moisturizes it, or not thinking to put heat protectant on it for example.

None of my white friends spend that much time taking care of their hair, so i cant agree with you there. I've never heard of a white (or rather, non black) friend of mine DCing, although i'm sure there are some people who do, i just havent heard about it. I've never heard any of my friends talking about moisturizing everyday or anything that really pertains to the HEALTH of their hair besides trims. In my experience most of them wash/rinse everyday and then airdry on their way to class in the morning. Some blowdry every day, some flatiron too, but none of my friends avoid washing their hair/getting it wet because they need to spend hours styling it later. (Except my bf's little sister, who has naturally curly hair, but ALWAYS wears it straight.)

White girls dont need to DC cos
their hair is not as chemically damaged or in need of replenishment.
They wash regularly because their hairs tend to look greasy and get limp, and their scalps are healthier in the process.

Some blow dry and flat iron very regularly but when you think of it in the sense that their hairs are not as kinky or tightly curled as many black people, this is not too much on their hair. It is already close to straight and just need some heat strokes to take it to bone straight.
Now a black girl will often relax then Iron to get that straight look, double trauma on the hair.
Or for naturals, flat iron straight but when you check that our hairs are kinkier, this is till more trauma than if your hair is close to straight already.

On black women not knowing about healthy hair practises, that is true in some cases, but in many it isnt.
I have showed many of my friends LHCF and told them of things that will help their hair grow but when they hear about washing once a week, drying without heat, wearing their hair up and relaxing once in 8-12 weeks, they loose interest. Too much work:sad:...This is even when i'm trying to simplify things.
Not one of my friends are trying to do anything with their real hairs, but now the weaves...different story.
Thats why I've used the term 'lazy' to describe many black ladies attitudes to hair.

I dont think they have it any easier.

Have you ever tried to put white hair in a style?????? ESpecially a french briad~?

Its like trying to solve a quadratic equation.

Yes and no...on the issue of availablity of reasonably priced products, tool, and techniques of course people w/ straight hair have far more choices to achieve the best possible results for their hair. However, that doesn't mean they have the correct techniques to make best use of those products and tools, as we see everyday.

The fact that most White women and many others begin coloring their hair as young women and continue to do so all their lives has a definite affect on the TEXTURE of their hair. Like w/ relaxers, colored hair requires special treatment to look, feel, and grow at it's best. Many of them lack that info.

So the answer is yes and no.

I often wondered about their ability go grow hair.
A girl in my office advised she grows 1 inch per month.(white girl)
I asked what was she doing stated nothing -- she cut it off last week.

I wonder if growth and retaining is less work.
Do the need protein and moisture -- do they have to work at it?

^^^They have an easier time w/ retention because the products and tools are made w/ them primarily in mind. Their hair texture is the "norm" and therefore they are not under intense pressure to change the texture, only the color if their color doesn't conform to the ideal and esp. if they show greys. White women are under very intense pressure about the signs of aging. Moreso than Black ones, IMHO.

Ima tell you a story...

My Momma
53293f79df08d50a292f2ad9ca77e4-vi.jpg
wore this fro in high school. One day she was in Gym, geting dressed in the locker room, and she was fixing her fro, when along comes a white girl. This white girl looks at my momma's fro, and says to her, "Dang, your hair is nappy!!!". My momma looks at her for a minute, and then says to her, "Nappy? Hmm..." and proceeds to smoothly glide a cake cutter pick through her hair. Then she ran up on the white girl, stuck that pick in HER hair and dragged her lil behind all over the locker room, while yelling, "Nappy???NAPPY???? whos' hair is nappy, B___???"

:lachen::grin:
I think we got the better end of the stick, whether we realize it or not. I can't wait till I get an afro like my momma's!!!

Last edited:
Ima tell you a story...

My Momma
53293f79df08d50a292f2ad9ca77e4-vi.jpg
wore this fro in high school. One day she was in Gym, geting dressed in the locker room, and she was fixing her fro, when along comes a white girl. This white girl looks at my momma's fro, and says to her, "Dang, your hair is nappy!!!". My momma looks at her for a minute, and then says to her, "Nappy? Hmm..." and proceeds to smoothly glide a cake cutter pick through her hair. Then she ran up on the white girl, stuck that pick in HER hair and dragged her lil behind all over the locker room, while yelling, "Nappy???NAPPY???? whos' hair is nappy, B___???"

:lachen::grin:
I think we got the better end of the stick, whether we realize it or not. I can't wait till I get an afro like my momma's!!!
Peggy is GANGSTA!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

We really do have the better end of this stick and I am saying this b/c I think its true and not b/c I'M BLACK.

White girls dont need to DC cos
their hair is not as chemically damaged or in need of replenishment.
They wash regularly because their hairs tend to look greasy and get limp, and their scalps are healthier in the process.

Some blow dry and flat iron very regularly but when you think of it in the sense that their hairs are not as kinky or tightly curled as many black people, this is not too much on their hair. It is already close to straight and just need some heat strokes to take it to bone straight.
Now a black girl will often relax then Iron to get that straight look, double trauma on the hair.
Or for naturals, flat iron straight but when you check that our hairs are kinkier, this is till more trauma than if your hair is close to straight already.

On black women not knowing about healthy hair practises, that is true in some cases, but in many it isnt.
I have showed many of my friends LHCF and told them of things that will help their hair grow but when they hear about washing once a week, drying without heat, wearing their hair up and relaxing once in 8-12 weeks, they loose interest. Too much work:sad:...This is even when i'm trying to simplify things.
Not one of my friends are trying to do anything with their real hairs, but now the weaves...different story.
Thats why I've used the term 'lazy' to describe many black ladies attitudes to hair.

It depends on the White women, but many of them have as damaged hair as any Black woman, they simply have better products appropriate for their texture. If this wasn't the case, why is every store filled to the brim w/ White products and a small section for Black ones?

As for the advice you give Black women, what will their hair look like it they followed it? Since most aren't interested in going natural, would their hair end up resembling natural hair more than relaxed following your methods? We know the answer, so...

This issue here is pressure for a straight texture not laziness. It depends on many factors in their life whether or not they see a natural African texture as a doable thing.

1) Tyra's a moron
2) no
I can't speak for everyone and I've never had straight/wavy hair, but from watching the women around me my opinion is that its just different.

When I was relaxed my only high maintenance day was on the weekend when I would wash, condition, blowdry and curl (yes this was WAY before LHCF and my habits sucked), every other day I would just put something on my ends and wrap or roll it up, let it down in the morning and keep stepping. When I wised up some I would co wash and airdry and with a little conditioner or Frizz Ease or whatever it would dry wavy curly and all the girls at school reacted like it was a major, complicated hairdo.
Most of the girls at my school would get up early so they could wash, blowdry and flatiron their hair. So they didn't have the Sunday hair marathon but they did have to put more effort into the everyday. The in-group pretty much all got their hair professionally dyed and they'd get touch ups more frequently than I would :lol:
And as for braids and even ponytails I swear my hair was easier. At a sleepover I had my hair voted the best and easiest to do because it was considered thick but would stay in place easier. Putting stick straight hair in a pony was hard for me personally, the hair just wouldn't stay in place!
Now that I'm natural I really feel like I have it easier.
I can wash a lot of times a week or not and rock different looks depending on it yet my hair won't smell or get greasy or limp. I never have to do anything for volume and body and the folks where I work are amazed at how different my hair can look from day to day when for me its a matter of how I airdry, condition or pull it back.
Most of the 'cute' girls at work heat style their hair every morning. I'm still trying to understand flat ironing straight hair :look: I do nothing. Alot of the older ladies tease, curl and use rollers to get body. I don't. Even the girl that rocks the pony every day uses heat on her bangs each morning and sometimes straightens to make the style have more 'umph' but for me I get compliments fro co workers and customers from a simple 3-day old puff :lol:
The only thing is when I detangle, that is the only thing that hands down has to be more time consuming (but even that is getting easier the more I learn) for me. On the other hand folks are straight amazed at how 'much' hair I have and even how fast they think it grows. One chick is hoping her below sl hair can be bsl at least by the time she gets married in a couple years (says it always gets stuck there and she wants a specific style for her wedding ceremony) yet has watched me cut off six inches (bye relaxed ends!) and grow most of it back in less than a year.

So, it depends to me on what you're trying to do with your hair.
Most 'cute' styles whether on 1a or 4z or relaxed heads take some time and effort, but all can do less high-maintenance styles that are easy if they take into account the texture being worked with.

I'm putting my neck out here... I know yall ladies don't play! :lol:

I feel that a lot of people are hesistant to say that less coarse and less kinky hair is more managable.

We all know there is no such thing as "white" hair products. It's just marketing and WE use the same products.

The products aren't the explanation behind why people with straighter hair retain length more easily and tend to have more healthy hair.

The typical white woman doesn't do monthly protein treatments. She doesn't baggy her hair or pre poo. She doesn't use a bunch of leave in conditioner. She doesn't sleep with conditioner in her hair overnight. Her hair simply doesn't need it.

Note that I said TYPICAL. I'm sure that some women with straight to loosely curled hair do these things and more.

For example, my bf has type 1 hair. He just shampoos with suave shampoo every 3 or 4 days, combs it with a small toothed comb and thats it. His hair retains length and looks shiny and healthy.

How many women here can do that and have healthy, long hair?

I feel that just being honest and admitting that there are differences isn't bad.

For me, accepting and aknowledging differences, but realizing that these differences don't make anyone better or worse than the next person is important.

Kinky, coarse hair IS the weakest type of hair. HOWEVER, that does not make it the least desireable in my eyes. It's beautiful... absolutely stunning when it's healthy.

I'm just a little concerned about the level of denial I see in some posts. To say texture doesn't matter seems so weird to me. Even on THIS board there are type 3 and type 4 help and discussion threads.

Texture does make a difference, even though hair IS hair and responds to the same things in the same way... different textures need different handling, products, techniques and amounts of care.

"Becky" with the type 1b hair definitely has an easier time growing her hair out than someone with 4b. I don't see how/why anyone can deny that.

She may not be able to rock cornrows as well, but there is a big difference in the level of care that must be taken to achieve longer lengths (USUALLY!)

Yes, our hair has unique gifts, but so does theirs.

Again I'd like to state that just because our hair needs more pampering, it is NOT inferior to straighter hair types. I LOVE kinky hair.

It's not any less beautiful because it is more work... and I feel okay saying that.

I'm putting my neck out here... I know yall ladies don't play! :lol:

I feel that a lot of people are hesistant to say that less coarse and less kinky hair is more managable.

We all know there is no such thing as "white" hair products. It's just marketing and WE use the same products.

The products aren't the explanation behind why people with straighter hair retain length more easily and tend to have more healthy hair.

The typical white woman doesn't do monthly protein treatments. She doesn't baggy her hair or pre poo. She doesn't use a bunch of leave in conditioner. She doesn't sleep with conditioner in her hair overnight. Her hair simply doesn't need it.

Note that I said TYPICAL. I'm sure that some women with straight to loosely curled hair do these things and more.

For example, my bf has type 1 hair. He just shampoos with suave shampoo every 3 or 4 days, combs it with a small toothed comb and thats it. His hair retains length and looks shiny and healthy.

How many women here can do that and have healthy, long hair?

I feel that just being honest and admitting that there are differences isn't bad.

For me, accepting and aknowledging differences, but realizing that these differences don't make anyone better or worse than the next person is important.

Kinky, coarse hair IS the weakest type of hair. HOWEVER, that does not make it the least desireable in my eyes. It's beautiful... absolutely stunning when it's healthy.

I'm just a little concerned about the level of denial I see in some posts. To say texture doesn't matter seems so weird to me. Even on THIS board there are type 3 and type 4 help and discussion threads.

Texture does make a difference, even though hair IS hair and responds to the same things in the same way... different textures need different handling, products, techniques and amounts of care.

"Becky" with the type 1b hair definitely has an easier time growing her hair out than someone with 4b. I don't see how/why anyone can deny that.

She may not be able to rock cornrows as well, but there is a big difference in the level of care that must be taken to achieve longer lengths (USUALLY!)

Yes, our hair has unique gifts, but so does theirs.

Again I'd like to state that just because our hair needs more pampering, it is NOT inferior to straighter hair types. I LOVE kinky hair.

It's not any less beautiful because it is more work... and I feel okay saying that.

I totally agree with everything you said:yep:

It depends. Most white girls I know of have no prob retaining length, but observing most of the girls on my team their hair doesnt hold any type of style because its so thin and whispy. I never want hair like theirs:perplexed

Neith you're post has some great points, but they do use different formulations. It's not all about marketing. The stuff for "dry damaged" hair and def stuff marketed to "ethnic markets" (read Black people) tend to have far more (usually mineral) oil in the make up. This is why I tend to avoid, but not fully, products marketed to Black people.

Of course, the typical White women could probably stand doing a little of the stuff done here...their hair tends to be too dry because the shampoos they use strip the oils and over washing. After the latest trend of blonde super straight flat ironed hair, methinks they will be walking up to some bad hair days soon.

Generally speaking, people w/ straight hair have an easier time maintain growth IN THE WEST because almost everything is geared towards them doing so about everything, not just hair. It's the opposite w/ African textured hair and everything else. Once you leave the West, however, textured hair tends to grown and maintain length. Many of those societies are more tolerant to the texture and color AS IS or they have less chemical approaches of attaining change (ie henna).

Yes, Tyra is a moron!

Last edited:
Neith you're post has some great points, but they do use different formulations. It's not all about marketing. The stuff for "dry damaged" hair and def stuff marketed to "ethnic markets" (read Black people) tend to have far more (usually mineral) oil in the make up. This is why I tend to avoid, but not fully, products marketed to Black people.

Of course, the typical White women could probably stand doing a little of the stuff done here...their hair tends to be too dry because the shampoos they use strip the oils and overwashing.

Generally speaking, people w/ straight hair have an easier time maintain growth IN THE WEST because almost everything is geared towards them doing so. It's the opposite w/ African textured hair. Once you leave the West, however, textured hair tends to grown and maintain length. Many of those societies are more tolerant to the texture and color AS IS or they have less chemical approaches of attaining change (ie henna).

I totally agree that a lot of "black" products have mineral oil, petroleum and other nasties. A lot of "white" products are full of drying alcohols and cones.

It's not just the products. The average person who does their hair at home is not using high quality, expensive salon products. "Their" products aren't all that much better than ours to the point that it makes all the difference.

I agree that a lot of white women could have healthier hair with a little more care.

My point was that even with not so special care... many people with those looser hair types do not have problems having hair that is normal looking and has a good length. You don't often see a white woman with a completely chewed up little ponytail (no offense to anyone)

No, their hair is not perfect! I've seen too many blondes FULL of splits and looking/feeling like straw.

In fact, most people regardless of texture have a good amount of damage, but the most SEVERELY damaged looking heads I've seen are people with badly taken care of kinky hair. Natural and relaxed.

I wouldn't know exactly how common it is for black people's of other countries to have long hair since I'm born and bred here in the good old USA... but I have heard that more people have long hair in other countries :yep:

They maybe know a bit more than American Blacks do about how to care for our hair as a whole. I feel that a lot of culture and information about ourselves was lost. I wish that proper kinky hair care was known to everyone, passed down and seen as the norm!

Last edited:
hehe this thread kind of got a little bit off topic, but i do like the things that have come out of it.

I suppose my original question was, given what we learn from here, do you think that you'd be equipped to handle 1b hair (washing, combing, perhaps blowdrying or flatironing) for the average everyday styling? I can see a white person not understanding how to do the same to "our" hair, but i feel like i'd at least be able to create a presentable result if the tables were temporarily turned.

But like i said, in any case, i like where this has been going. I think that alot of the problem is that black people are told that their hair is this "other". I never even thought about black hair as "curly" until recently....i just thought of it as "nappy". Curly hair was what white people and biracial people had, not black people. And i think that a lot of people probably think similarly. So i saw the mainstream haircare section as the "white" section and the ethnic section as "my section". Now i know that my hair is hair just like anyone else's, i just need to work harder at keeping it moisturized. I agree with Neith, a lot of white girls can abuse their hair with a lot of heat etc and still retain normal looking, semi long hair. Though some black women can do this, most cant, as shown by the "chewed up ponytails" that we so often see.

So in short, i think the "problem" is that for many people, there's no balance. Obviously, we cannot treat our hair the exact same way that the average while girl does because our texture has different needs. But, that doesn't meant that you have to go WAY overboard and only wash (wet) your hair once a month and cover it in grease and oil sheen. Even though our hair is different, it's still hair, and some common rules still apply among the textures and races.

Oh, and yes, Tyra is an idiot.

Pretty much, yes.

I have a white friend, however, who is using tips I give her from these boards.

I've got her doing Cantu Shea butter and using sulfate-free shampoos. (she has a sulfate allergy and regular shampoos have been breaking her hair off for years. I sent her to the store with SistaSlick's list. Yes she is using black haircare products :yep:)

But all she has to do is wash and go (with Bronner's castile soap) and now her hair is growing.

I think they have it easier because most of them are accepted in public, at work and just anywhere with their natural texture. If they choose to add to that regimen, then so be it.

When I tried to grow out my twa, negresses in this country li'l town were acting personally offended!

Also, they don't have hairdressers working against them, with scissors or the misuse of chemicals.

They don't have to come together and create an LHCF revolution, go through trial and error and share information among themselves to have the healthiest hair of their lives.

Back