Do you rinse your hair with water...

CodeRed

...really well before you shampoo/co-wash/co-cleanse/etc.? I've been just letting the water run through my hair for about 5 minutes or so while I smooth it with my hands and scratch my scalp... My hair feels cleaner after doing this and also if there is buildup on it I'm noticing that I only have to shampoo once and it lathers right up... It used to be I'd have to shampoo once and it would kind of lather then it would really do so on the second wash. I rinse really well before co-washing now also... the conditioner lathers up better the first time so I don't have to do it a second time.

Did anyone else experience this or is it just all in my head :lol:

I do the same thing. I massage my scalp for a good five minutes under the shower stream before I low-poo. It feels good and ensures my scalp and hair get the full benefit of the diluted shampoo.

I rinse for at least 2 minutes to thoroughly wet my hair. It helps rinse away excess oils and buildup. One lather is usually enough.

Yeah, if I don't I'll waste shampoo because it doesn't spread as good without a thorough pre rinse

Last edited:
Yep. I do this too. A nice long pre-rinse is always good.

I do this more faithfully in Spring/Summer, when I have less product in my hair.

Fall/Winter I tend to use a Pre-Treatment before cleansing (a butter, crème or oil), because of dryness, so my hair has something on in it.

I learned this from the absolute best hair stylist I ever had. I swear she had her shampoo girl practically wash my hair with water only for almost 10 minutes before even touching the shampoo. I still do it to this day. Taught it to DD. What all the previous posters said...

I have to rinse for 3 minutes minimum. Otherwise the shampoo/cowash/bar will slide off my low-po hair.

It was frustrating spending all that time washing, only to get back in the shower because my hair was still dirty.

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

Well, I only rinse for about 1minute before lathering on the shampoo, but I'm willing to give this a try on my next wash day

I always make sure my hair is very saturated with water before applying any cleansers. I massage my scalp and smooth my hands down the length of my hair....

You're supposed to I read somewhere long ago optimal time is 6 minutes but I don't have time for that lol I usually just try to saturate my hair fully

Last edited:
I wash in four sections and for each section I only rinse for a minute, and probably less, just long enough to get my hair wet. Personally I am conscious of how much water I use, not just for washing hair but also brushing my teeth etc.

...really well before you shampoo/co-wash/co-cleanse/etc.? I've been just letting the water run through my hair for about 5 minutes or so while I smooth it with my hands and scratch my scalp... My hair feels cleaner after doing this and also if there is buildup on it I'm noticing that I only have to shampoo once and it lathers right up... It used to be I'd have to shampoo once and it would kind of lather then it would really do so on the second wash. I rinse really well before co-washing now also... the conditioner lathers up better the first time so I don't have to do it a second time.

Did anyone else experience this or is it just all in my head :lol:

I have always done this :)

Yes, I have faithfully started doing this and it just to work so well with my hair. It just seems to really get rid of the product buildup before I shampoo my hair.

I don't massage my scalp, but I have found that I get better results when I stand under the shower stream for several minutes. When I do shampoo my scalp (which I do with a different shampoo) I make sure my hair and scalp are sopping wet.

I rinse my hair everyday. I then will follow up with a spritz of cold water from a spray bottle. Then I follow up with a leave in. Weekly, I shampoo and DC. And before I start, I always rinse my hair for a few minutes before using the shampoo.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I wash my hair in the shower. That also happens to be the place where I think about my day, make life decisions, etc. so before and after I wash my hair I just stand under the shower head for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes I massage my scalp before washing, sometimes I sing like I got a room full of people that paid good money to see me. It all depends on my mood.

I do it out of habit. It's how my mom use to wash our hair as children, rinse first then shampoo.

I do this too. You can feel when most of the product is gone from your hair, then that's when I shampoo. I only lather once.

Last night I rinsed my hair for 5 minutes before shampooing my and hair never got cleaner on the first wash. I didn't have to repeat.

I used to maybe rinse my hair for a minute before adding the shampoo, even now. Growing up in California during the drought of the '80s we weren't allowed to let the water run. We had to take Navy showers - no "wasting water". I take longer showers but I never rinsed my hair for longer than it takes to get it wet and rinse it (except for when I relax).

Last night I rinsed my hair for 5 minutes before shampooing my and hair never got cleaner on the first wash. I didn't have to repeat.

I used to maybe rinse my hair for a minute before adding the shampoo, even now. Growing up in California during the drought of the '80s we weren't allowed to let the water run. We had to take Navy showers - no "wasting water". I take longer showers but I never rinsed my hair for longer than it takes to get it wet and rinse it (except for when I relax).

I'm glad it worked for you. :grin: I really think it benefits the hair to use more water than shampoo.

Growing up I had to take "Navy showers" because I had 3 other siblings who needed to use the bathroom :lol:

Umm, that's all I do is rinse - everyday. My hair is thriving because of all that MOISTURE. I need to holla at my girl almond eyes for putting me on the right path;)

I'm glad it worked for you. :grin: I really think it benefits the hair to use more water than shampoo.

Growing up I had to take "Navy showers" because I had 3 other siblings who needed to use the bathroom :lol:

CodeRed -Oh yes, we must not forget the 1 bathroom for X amount of people deal. :lol:

Back