Do you let ur condi touch ur scalp when DCing?

Do you let the conditioner touch your scalp when DCing?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 88 83.8%
  • No, never.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Other (pls explain)

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShaniKeys

I was watching some youtube videos of women with natural hair and I noticed that when DCing, they weren't solely focusing on the hair and the ends but were also putting the conditioner on their scalp. The only things I let touch my scalp are shampoo's&essential oils, that's it. I'm always afraid of the conditioner forming a film on my scalp:ohwell:. So I'm curious to know if there are others who do this too. Please explain also.

TIA

Urm, if I don't put the DC against my scalp, my roots won't get DC'd. I don't get how you can DC all your hair without touching your scalp - that's some relaxer type accuracy, and I don't have the inclination or the time. :lol:
If the conditioner forms a film on my scalp, then I'm not rinsing my scalp well enough.

I try not to put conditioner on my scalp because it forms a film. If my roots miss out, they just miss out. Since I can hardly tell the difference after conditioning anyway, doesn't matter much to me. :lachen:

Urm, if I don't put the DC against my scalp, my roots won't get DC'd. I don't get how you can DC all your hair without touching your scalp - that's some relaxer type accuracy, and I don't have the inclination or the time. :lol:
If the conditioner forms a film on my scalp, then I'm not rinsing my scalp well enough.

I agree.
I don't intentionally put it on my scalp, but I don't try to avoid it either.
I've never noticed a film.

Thats not where I focus it but it happens cause I apply my DCs like I would do a relaxer.

I intentionally do my scalp as well and like JK said, if I end up w/a film, I'm not rinsing well enough (a), or (b) my conditioner has too many fillers. I chelate when needed and have no scalp issues. Feels good too.

yes! I think it is important (for me anyway) to get it all over my scalp, I start at the bottom and then work my way to the scalp, parting and "greasing" the scalp with my conditioner

I never put it on my scalp on purpose. I focus on my hair. If I were to apply stuff to my scalp it would become dry, irritated and I would have to wash it more often. (from experience.) I stopped oiling/conditioning my scalp when I was 15. Haven't had any issues.

I don't apply to my scalp like a grease, but DC gets on it in my normal apply and massage.

These products are forumalted to be rinsed out with just water - so I doubt that a build up happens.

Also many deep condition and then shampoo, so this would help to avoid a build up too!

What she said...

I put it on my scalp and even rub it in sometimes. I just think of it as it scalp lotion or something, it's the only way for me to make sure every inch is covered.

I dont concentrate on the scalp but it is going to get on there anywaus when I put my shower cap on and sit under the heat. The conditioner is going to get warm and make its way to my scalp. I chelate and keep build up off and Im good.

I just put my DC on my hair. I don't know if any reaches the scalp/roots or not. I am going to assume they do. My curl pattern loosens up from root to tip, so maybe it does get there?

I have to get all the way down to the roots when I DC, so some does get on my scalp. That is not my intention though. I would think it would just moisturize your scalp though.

I never put it on my scalp on purpose. I focus on my hair. If I were to apply stuff to my scalp it would become dry, irritated and I would have to wash it more often. (from experience.) I stopped oiling/conditioning my scalp when I was 15. Haven't had any issues.

same here, dont apply anything oily directly on my scalp except water and peppermint essential oil mist very cooling. whem am conditioning though, i just apply all over.

Last edited:
I heard conditioner & scalp = shedding.
I always thought my scalp need "conditioning" too. :look:
Really? Lately I've been finding quite the opposite, for me anyway. I don't know, just in my experience w/certain conditioners, if in the dx it says that it acts over the scalp to tighten it and prevent hair fall, doesn't that sound like it should go on the scalp? Its always interesting how there are exceptions to every supposed rule.

I don't give it much thought. Conditioner does get on my scalp I don't set out to condition my scalp but it is not my goal to avoid it either.

I voted other because I try not to get conditioner on my scalp by skipping the base of my hair. But since I put on a plastic cap and go under a dryer, it's impossible to keep conditioner from getting on my scalp. I just don't try to get it on there on purpose.

Yes Always... :grin::grin:
When deep conditioning I part my hair in sections like I am greasing my scalp and add the conditioner. My roots are very coarse and dry so conditioning my roots and scalp is absolutely necessary for me.

I heard conditioner & scalp = shedding.
I always thought my scalp need "conditioning" too. :look:

I haven't heard that but I do feel like my scalp might need conditioning too now that I think about it. I don't do it on purpose though. I don't intentionally put anything on my scalp but it definitely happens.

Back