Do you know how to talk to YOUR man?

TwistedRoots

Back2Life Back2ReLaxer!
I've ALWAYS talked "crazy" to EVERYONE. I'm an opinionated sharp shooter who shoots straight from the hip. If you can't tell already that has become a HUGE problem in my relationship. Its probably been a problem in failed relationships too but no one ever brought it up. Now I'm with the man I'm going to marry and I find it hard to not be outspoken and my tone is generally abrasive which I really hate. I want to change, but when I bite my tongue my stomach hurts... seriously hurts. I try to keep the peace...because I'm suppose to be his peace but it aggravates me. He's brought this up several times with the "I don't know who you think I am, but thats not going to work" type convos. Now when I don't speak on something he prys for my opinion, but if its negative I don't want to share because I don't know how to change my tone. Not speaking "kills" me, but I don't want to come off disrespectful. Was anyone like that? Still like that? Did you change it, if so how? Are you trying to change it, if not why? If you're not like that at all... How do you deal?

P.S. When I say "talk crazy" I mean I say what I have to say regardless of how it sounds or who it affects.

Last edited:
You need to figure out why you are so angry and heal that. Surely everything you're ticked off about is not that serious. Try to get to the root of your anger. All these little things are just symptoms. It's good that he is challenging you on this. I'm sure he isn't perfect but you only have control of healing your stuff.

I find it interesting that you said your grandmother was spineless. It's taken me a long time to learn how to not be so blunt but it can be done. Also think about your words before you say them because everything you say shouldn't end in an argument. And you should care about your words because they have value to the ones that love you.

PEACE & LIGHT

A sharp tongue is only necessary when someone is trying to hurt you or take advantage of you. I think when you realize that he is not your enemy and accept that he loves and cares for you, it will be easier to change your tone.

If he is a good man, he deserves to be respected in his home.

I kind of battle with this also....I am trying to work on it though so I will be watching this thread.

I do think I'm better than I was before, but we started off as friends that could talk about anything and everything, so me talking to him crazy wasn't a concern, but I've learned that since he's become my SO he gets a totally diff level of respect.

hopeful That was so much insight. I really had to sit back and think about what you said. Your words carry so much weight. Thank you.

FoxxyLocs you know what you are right. I wasn't always this way but when people started to take advantage of me I think I build this persona. Indeed he's a great man and I didn't realize how I affected him or others until recently. As I said before its never really been checked. Or if it has I didn't care to change. However, I do need to find an inner peace and I think my relationship with God will only draw me nearer. Thanks for your comment.

khadicurls words never really affected me and so in turn I didn't consider what or how what I said could be taken. However, I do understand the need to draw back and definitely think about what I say before I speak. Im a little slower to speak than I once was...but even thats not good enough. But hey I can only get better...

mzpurp The sad part about it is I didn't see me "speaking my mind" as disrespect. I don't talk crazy to him like I've done others in the past...but he still gets my full opinion. Im learning that this is adversely effecting my relationship and am just trying to find better avenues to cope with this.

Be patient with yourself. It took a long time for you to get here and it will take awhile for it to get better. Sometimes it is better to be happy than to be right all the time. Choose your battles carefully or maybe give yourself a timeout from time to time and then speak your thoughts when you've had time to calm down. Take your time to think through what you wanted to say and figure out how to say it without seeming abrasive. It will take a conscious effort on your part but it can be done. The fact that you care about this man's needs and are willing to work on your relationship, is a big positive step in the right direction. Baby steps. Do not be too harsh on yourself. Take each day as it comes.

OP sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it. You can have the best advice but if it comes out stank people are going to reject it

You sound like my sister. Her first husband eventually got tired of her mouth and after 20 years, he divorced her. She's doing better with her second husband though. She seems to respect him more.

OP sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it. You can have the best advice but if it comes out stank people are going to reject it

In addition to how you speak be honest with yourself as to "why" you feel the need to speak to others especially your SO the way that you do. Do you believe that aggressiveness is the only way to be taken seriously? Do you feel as if your opinion is not being heard? Is this a control issue with you?

Being willing to see through and explore better ways to express yourself in spite of your defensive reaction will be hard but ultimately worth it. ( ( HUGS ) )

I was going to say the same thing. You shouldn't feel compelled to completely bite your tongue or be opinionless bc obviously your future husband wants your opinion. Just try to be aware of tone, word choice, and body language. Good luck.

OP...before I offer any advice my question for you is, what is it about not speaking that "kills you" exactly?

Is it not being able to say things HOW you want to say them? Is it having to censor your thoughts, or is it both? Just need a little more clarification.

OP...before I offer any advice my question for you is, what is it about not speaking that "kills you" exactly?

Is it not being able to say things HOW you want to say them? Is it having to censor your thoughts, or is it both? Just need a little more clarification.

Its more of the censoring my thoughts. There is so much more than I'm speaking on but my start was just to get my posted issue underwraps... I feel like everything else may or should fall into place.

I recently had a discussion about this with a close married girlfriend of mine about how sooo many black women dont know how to talk to a man. They are so reckless with the mouth. They just pop off at the mouth all crazy. It's unbelievable. I've received texts from certain friends about the things they actually say to the man in their life and I am flabbergasted. My mouth is open like "you actually said that to him?!" :perplexed

With a man, if you don't have anything nice to say. It's best not to say anything at all. Men hate being ignored. Silence is golden. It's also not emasculating. You get your point across through your actions. Men have hearing problems anyway. that is, unless they are getting their feelings hurt which clearly you do not want to do. Best thing is to acknowledge the positive. Only acknowledge and validate what you like and approve of. Show what you want. Show what you think is good. If you invest in acknowledging negativity and negative energy that's what you'll get in return. In other words, reward and acknowledge the good. Men have self esteem problems and need validation so they learn very quickly when something is being ignored or not paid attention to. Ego stroking is secondary but the above is mandatory.

TBH, it's an acquired skill. Usually learned from interacting with one's father, brothers, male figures. However, I think any woman can learn. Do you have any positive feminine/wife figures around you? like women with positive relationships/marriages? I think it's best to watch other women in action, see/experience and learn the results.

Last edited:
Thank you soooo much for that. That's exactly the issue and I'm definitely going to put that into practice! barbiesocialite and yes I have women in my life that I could possible learn to model. Again thanks for the advice you hit the nail on the head!

I'm learning as I go along OP. I'm not abrasive in general but I'm definitely one that hasn't known when to hush or tone it down in the relationship. I've been a nag, a witch, a grump etc. It really gets nothing accomplished.

One thing about words is once you say something, you can't take it back. The tongue is a dangerous weapon. So we do have to be mindful of how we speak, especially to someone that you care about.

Its more of the censoring my thoughts. There is so much more than I'm speaking on but my start was just to get my posted issue underwraps... I feel like everything else may or should fall into place.

From what you described, it sounds like you get anxious when you can't express yourself the way you want.

That's a conditioned response, but to what? I would need to know more about the conversations that upset you to understand that issue.

The second issue I see is that when you do respond, you say things in a way that make SO feel disrespected. That's easily fixable. Don't respond to anything immediately. Stop, take a deep breath or two, and think about an alternative way to say what you want to say. Then speak and keep your voice even and soft.

Thank you soooo much for that. That's exactly the issue and I'm definitely going to put that into practice! @barbiesocialite and yes I have women in my life that I could possible learn to model. Again thanks for the advice you hit the nail on the head!

@TashaK:hug2:

I kinda figured that was it. You are not alone. Unfortunately it's an issue a lot of black women struggle with because we've been deprived of healthy father figures or male influences.

PM your email address I'll send you a copy of "For Women Only" and both the original and modern Fascinating Womanhood books. You may or may not like them. Nonetheless, they are helpful. :yep:

Last edited:
Random but words of power I've learned via observation and experience: "we are not going to have this conversation right chea....."

If you:
1. shut it down.
2. wait. (thus making him wait)
3. think about it.
4. respond calmly on your terms

You'll have ears eagerly open and ready for what needs to be said, more likely to get your thought out point across and are more likely to reach a mutual solution.

From what you described, it sounds like you get anxious when you can't express yourself the way you want.

That's a conditioned response, but to what? I would need to know more about the conversations that upset you to understand that issue.

The second issue I see is that when you do respond, you say things in a way that make SO feel disrespected. That's easily fixable. Don't respond to anything immediately. Stop, take a deep breath or two, and think about an alternative way to say what you want to say. Then speak and keep your voice even and soft.

I think this is good stuff.

And practical for the OP and lurkers as well.

It's a real life way to explain how to "pause. take a deep breath. then....speak" :yep:

I think this is good stuff.

And practical for the OP and lurkers as well.

It's a real life way to explain how to "pause. take a deep breath. then....speak" :yep:

You know I know of what I speak.:look:

And it's in keeping with the no brothers/fatherly interaction thing you mentioned. I know I've said this before but my dd is already so much better than I was at relating to boys and men. She has a father and a grouchy little brother so she has it down pat.

I had to unlearn what I knew and then learn new ways to communicate. The sarcasm had to go (outside of being playful), the snappy comebacks, the lashing out, the eyerolling, the last wording...none of it works in an adult relationship. Teenage boys thought it was cute but grown men? Nah.

You know I know of what I speak.:look:

And it's in keeping with the no brothers/fatherly interaction thing you mentioned. I know I've said this before but my dd is already so much better than I was at relating to boys and men. She has a father and a grouchy little brother so she has it down pat.

I had to unlearn what I knew and then learn new ways to communicate. The sarcasm had to go (outside of being playful), the snappy comebacks, the lashing out, the eyerolling, the last wording...none of it works in an adult relationship. Teenage boys thought it was cute but grown men? Nah.

Oh my that is so me... Not so much eyes rolling but sarcasm and snappy comebacks... I so need to unlearn that. Thanks so much for your insight as well I will definitely put your words into actions. ❤️

Op I understand. I had to learn that I tend to snap at DH when I'm upset or dealing with something.

Every small thing doesn't require a comeback. Let it go. Honestly I let about 80% of things go. I know that seems high but realized I was walking around upset about things that don't matter.

I had to learn the hard way. i married early not examples and a huband in his early 20's isn't always easy to get along with. But felt I had no other option but to learn so i did.

For example we just moved and a few of our sliding windows has metal trim. So before DH went to work he opened the bedroom window. Temps here are freezing.

So I go to bed and wake up FREEZING! this ninija forgot to close the window! it's 2am. Now mind you the window is frozen open. :lol:

instead of being angry I shot him a text and said what happened. and said I was sleeping on the couch and have a great night a work. He called me in 2 mins :look:

He came home fixed the window and has been all over me today. Now I couldn've been all snarky and nasty and went off. But really what was that going to do?

Nothing.

you catch more flies with honey. The honey is your attitude and how you respond to things.

Because men pay attention to your actions and what you don't say.

brownb83 Honey yall are learning me today. I think I'll keep your example in mind from here on out because I don't know if I could ever...but I'd like to respond like that.

Seriously, Im appreciative of everything each of you ladies had to offer. I've already made the conscious decision and effort to check my attitude first thing in the morning...it kind of keeps me on pace for the day. I'm sure that with all the advice I've been reading implementing it can only make me better. I'd be a fool to let this one get away because of something I can totally control. You don't find too many successful good God fearing brothers with PhD's that want "us" and I'm sure as heck not going to leave him out here for anyone else to find. For those of you who struggle with this same issue I advise you to change your ways, even if no one has addressed you about it. Self improvement can only help you...and staying away from that stereotypical "all black women have bad attitudes" is very key to life. I'm well on my way. I can only hope that this thread helps more of us.

here is a long illustrative anecdote that you may feel free to skip; keep scrolling i'll tell you when :lol:

---------------------
last weekend i took my nieces to the museum. one is a tween the other is post-toddler. the last time i tried to spend the day with them, my niece refused to be separated from her mom and cried so badly i had her picked back up. but shes a year older now, and when my sister dropped them off, i psyched her up with a positive attitude about the fun we would have, so that she wouldn't be a brat.

she was having a fantastic time for awhile, but after a couple of hours she was getting hungry and tired and irritable. she kept plopping over onto benches and sprawling out to emphasize this point :lol: by the time she refused to walk and started taking off her shoes, i knew it was time to leave. but i was a little too late because now she was tantruming. she sat down and refused to walk because she wanted to be carried. i knew my sister would have picked her up to avoid a scene, but thats how she got so spoiled in the first place. so i waited it out, even though she was beginning to escalate and people were looking. i put her shoes back on her and gripped her by the arm as we walked by the my car. i was not going to carry her. she did not want to walk, but shes a baby. shes not in control here and she cant bully me with bad behavior.

in the privacy of the parking garage, i knelt down to her and said "i dont appreciate what you just did and it was not cute at all." her eyes filled with tears and she wouldnt make eye contact because she understood why she was being scolded. i told her "i want you to say sorry so we can be friends again." she still would not look at me. "do you want to be friends again?" i asked. she nodded her crybaby little face, and i said "say sorry and give me a hug and we can be friends again." she gave me a hug and i kissed the top of her forehead and all was well.

but you know what... my urge had been... frankly, to hurt her. to put her in a child's place. to be harsh and strict so that she knew it was wrong to be embarrassing and bad and sit on the ground in public and take her shoes off and refuse to put them on and try to flex a child's will on an adult. to be unforgiving and yell at her and shame her and make her feel bad and basically go toe to toe with someone a third my size. that might sound crazy, but it might have been the case that i had no other tools in my toolbox for dealing with a child's tantrum. that's how it goes in my family. nobody backs down first. but is it going to go so far that i wont back down to a TODDLER? is there really pride that has to be swallowed when dealing with a CHILD?

that was kind of eye opening for me. that i actually had to step outside of my comfort zone to be patient and loving and understanding when someone was doing something wrong. that my reflex had been to overpower instead of compromise. that my urge had been to respond with harshness instead of love. to decide there was nothing to be gained in "letting her know" she couldn't act that way with me, and maybe she would understand if i talked to her instead.
----------------

ok you can read now :lol:

i say all this to say ive known for awhile now that i was raised with certain behaviors that id have to unlearn if i wanted to have open and reciprocal relationships with others. fundamentally im never really going to change who i am, but i can make an effort to recognise behaviors that hurt and push others away, and ways that i can be more agreeable.

all that said, i dont do much fighting in my relationships. my ex once described me as "nicer than other girls he dated" which blew my mind because generally errrr people tend not to describe me as "nice" :lol: its not that i have to hide my feelings or won't speak up when i feel it's necessary... its maybe that i dont care for emasculating men. if there is a disagreement or something that is happening that shouldnt, or something that isnt happening that should be, my approach is to address it in a way that is centered in his masculinity. cutting him down or insulting him or being nasty and vindictive isnt going to make him feel good as a man.

for awhile i was being so careful to be "friendly," "polite," and "agreeable" that i think it removed some of my natural charm. i was having the opposite problem where men weren't interested because i wasn't "spicy" enough. so i had to find the right balance of being resistant enough to show i had a backbone and not being so resistant that it's oppressive.

if you are finding it hard to stomach (literally) the idea of keeping your feelings inside, maybe try to approach them with emasculation in mind. you can share your feelings (not "making your feelings be known") but is it going to diminish his manhood? is it going to be expressed oppressively? speaking your mind doesn't mean impressing your will on others. so maybe look at it as offering what you have on the table and not forcing it down his throat.

This thread should eventually become a sticky, its that critical a matter out here. So many women "Keepin it real" yeah, real rude with their man. OP its good to know that you recognize your folly and are taking steps in the right direction to correct this. Your man sounds patient, and I'm sure that he will appreciate your efforts.

PM your email address I'll send you a copy of "For Women Only" and both the original and modern Fascinating Womanhood books. You may or may not like them. Nonetheless, they are helpful. :yep:

Sending my eml address when I get to work, as I'm rushing now. I'm really interested in the "For Women Only". :yep:

Last edited:
CaraWalker
I do my 3 year old the same way.. well not so much anymore... now I can give looks and ask him does he think thats appropriate on the spot. People would look at me crazily for "letting" him act out...I aint care nothin' about it.:lol:

Anyhow, I completely agree with your assessment and thats the reason why I'm searching for a way to get it together. We actually had a dispute yesterday about something that had been bothering me and I was able to revamp and come correct. At the end of the night we had a heart to heart and it was he that was apologizing to me instead of me having to apologize for cutting him down. It may sound silly to those of you who don't have this issue but I realized that he probably was doing some the same things I had already brought up because of my approach...I'm quite sure he never really listened before but then again how could he with how I was speaking...I too shut down when people speak to me in a certain way. Not to mention if I blow up about everything in the same manner how does he know when something is really irritating me?

I'm learning to choose my "battles" more carefully. Someone mention before that not everything I feel should be spoken on and I agree especially on trivial matters. As I said before you ladies have no idea how much bringing this here has helped. My friends nor family members would say anything like this. I've gotten better and they praised me for who I am now because this same person a few years back really got things poppin':nono:. However, as I stated before being better than that wasn't good enough. I now feel like I'm empowered to move forward and really be the person/ wife I've wanted to be.

This thread should eventually become a sticky, its that critical a matter out here. So many women "Keepin it real" yeah, real rude with their man. OP its good to know that you recognize your folly and are taking steps in the right direction to correct this. Your man sounds patient, and I'm sure that he will appreciate your efforts.

Sending my eml address when I get to work, as I'm rushing now. I'm really interested in the "For Women Only". :yep:

Thats "funny" that you bring up his patience he said God is working wonders in him because he's never had it before. He said "I try it" constantly but he wants to help me get better. This man is my Godsend. I would've left me by now. :perplexed

Back