Do you have a name suggestion for a natural group?? DO TELL!!

preciouslove0x

I've been coming on LHCF since the beginning of last year. I love it here. It has inspired me to start an awareness group for natural hair at my school in North Carolina after talking to my roommate and finding out that she didn't know that her stick-straight natural hair was actually suppose to be kinky, curly or coily. She's been abusing heat on her natural hair as long as she can remember. So anyway I introduced the idea to you guys last August/September and a lot of you thought it was a great idea.

Well finally the final details, before the group begins in the fall, are coming together. :grin: We've found atleat 40 girls as excited as we are!! Go figure. :spinning: However, me and the girls that I'm working with have a small dilemma.

We need a name! :lachen:

We have gone through soooo many but we can't seem to find one that really matches the message of the group--self-awareness, self-confidence, embracing our natural hair

We don't want it to sound anti-relaxer (because we're definitely NOT that in any shape or form). We're even including/giving out information for relaxed hair for girls who don't want to be natural.

The only name that we almost chose to stick with was S.T.R.A.N.D.S (Students Transitioning, Relaxed, And Naturals, Defying the Standard) but we're rethinking it now because the "defying the standard" part. We don't anyone to get the wrong impression that we're "going against" something so-to-speak.

Any suggestions????? TIA:look:

Kudos to you for organizing! I think the acronym you came up with is great!

Another suggestion might be a play on the word "hair." Look up synonyms for hair (tresses, locks, etc.) and see if you can come up with something catchy from that. GOOD LUCK! :)

Wow, what a cool group! :cool2: I don't think defying the standard is a bad part to include in the name. By looking at your natural hair as good and worthwhile you ARE defying the standard. There's nothing anti-relaxer about it. It's just a statement of fact.

Students Transitioning, Relaxed, And Naturals, Defying the Standard

i like the STRANDS....but just change the d and s somehow....

I would be boring and start something like the natural hair club LMAO so don't listen to me.

Maybe changing the D to "defining". Now I would just have to think of a new word for the S part of STRANDS.

But great suggestions from others! We've tried to play on locs, tresses etc but we couldnt come up with anything :/

Any more suggestions??

Thats is a Wonderful thing you are doing, That way the girls will know how to care for their hair either Relaxed or Natural, because not everyone is ready to be natural. And it will be very inspiring to others!

I like strands! It's pretty cool and you have to admit, black women taking care of their hair properly at all is defying the standard :giggle:

Kudos to you for starting such a group in your community.

Maybe consider S.T.R.A.N.D.S. = "Defining" and "Style"

Just a thought.

I love this idea...and if you don't mind i would like to know more about it?..
* Where did you gather the girls?
* Where will the course(I guess) take place in the fall?
* Just whatever you can elaborate on in general?
TIA.

Back