• yes

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • no

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • sometimes(how often)

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Teja

I stopped brushing my hair when I joined this board...I definitley noticed it was causing some of MY problems with breakage and retention so I just sleek down with hands water/moisturizer!!!
Does everyone on this board brush thier hair !!!
Is is really that bad for you hair or am I overeacting???

Different things work for different people. Some people don't comb their hair, some don't brush their hair. I brush my hair, and I don't have any problems. I know if I didn't comb and/or brush, I definitely would have some probs.

The funny thing about it is that prior to joining LHCF I was told that brushing actually helps your hair to grow. Since joining I haven't put a brush to my head. It's been about 4 months. So no I don't think that you are over-reacting or maybe we're just over-reacting together:look:.I honestly don't trust it. I think about the few strands that I lose when combing with my wide-tooth comb and figure a brush will probaly bald me. :lachen:

I think a lot of the things going on around here is overreacting. We tend to take things way too far on here. It can sometimes be fun, and sometimes frustrating.

But yes, I brush my hair. You have to get those loose hairs out to avoid tangles.

The funny thing about it is that prior to joining LHCF I was told that brushing actually helps your hair to grow. Since joining I haven't put a brush to my head. It's been about 4 months. So no I don't think that you are over-reacting or maybe we're just over-reacting together:look:.I honestly don't trust it. I think about the few strands that I lose when combing with my wide-tooth comb and figure a brush will probaly bald me. :lachen:
LMAO at the bolded

Every other day I moisturize, seal with Vatika oil and distribute it with a detangling brush (Denman, or Goody) from roots to ends. I have little to no breakage just shed hair.

Last edited:
No, I do not brush my hair. I have fine hair and brushing will be asking for trouble. Once in a while, when I put my hair in a bun or ponytail, I may use a soft bristle boar brush to smooth down the flyaways.

I don't think it's overreacting because everyone's hair responds differently.

I brush my edges when applying gel to make my hair lay down smooth. I'd stopped brushing for a while b/c i had thinner, shorter hair at the temples and suspected the brushing could be the culprit. Y'all have me paranoid again so I'm going to stop again and just go back to smoothing with my hands and a scarf.

I brush a few times a week my scalp, I also Brush my hair into a style wrap or pony up. I use a Mason and Pearson brush and it can get quite addicting to brush it across my scalp it kinda feels like scalp masturbation I know TMI, but I can't describe it any other way, I tingle all in my head when I am done for atleast 30 minutes. My hubby thought I was weird so I brushed his scalp too, let's just say he enjoys my brush as well. LOL!

I brush sometimes to lay down edges. I have many brushes. I bought a boar bristle brush for my hair when I'm doing an all over brushing. I have a tough brush I use to hit up a tough spot every now and again. I want a denman...I bought a knockoff and it's cool, can't compare it to denman since I never had one. I had this Scunci prush set given to me when I joined the military for my care package and I love the vent brush for my wigs...AWESOME!! I try not to brush too much. I mostly wide tooth comb for tangles. Brushes are for finished looks which I have been avoiding and wearing wigs instead. :)

I stopped brushing my hair when I joined this board...I definitley noticed it was causing some of MY problems with breakage and retention so I just sleek down with hands water/moisturizer!!!
Does everyone on this board brush thier hair !!!
Is is really that bad for you hair or am I overeacting???

I did the same exact thing. But then i remembered watching a video on a former member Macherie using a paddle brush. Then i thought, "well she has gorgeous hair so...." But anyway every blue moon i'll use it. For the most part i don't use a brush, if i want smooth edges, etc..i'll pull out a fine tooth comb. Same results, far less hairs. I thought i was gonna die without the brush, but i don't miss it whatsoever. One of my best decisions.

I don't own a brush anymore. Haven't owned one in years as a matter of fact. When I stopped using a brush my hair got thicker and longer. I am gulity of brushing my hair when it was wet which is a big nono:nono: Now I just own a comb and I only use that once a week.

I feel its generally bad for afro-textured hair. There is just too much tension along the hair shaft at every twist and turn.

Brushing rips out our hair type and causes split ends and I know it does. It is advisable for you to limit your use of the brush. I totally eliminated the brush from my hair regimen except for extreme cases in which a brush is needed. I had no split ends from November 2008 to February 2009(last perm cycle) from eliminating the brush from my regimen. However, there are people that use them weekly and their hair does fine.

It depends on your hair and how you use your brush. One size does not fit all.

I got rid of my brush 15 years ago and don't miss it - I have naturally fine/thin relaxed hair and brushing, for the most part, is a no no. I use a regular comb to smooth and detangle.

Works for me.

Back