Do you detangle all the way to the roots?

Do you detangle down to the root?

• I'm natural and I detangle down to the root every time.

Votes: 131 47.1%
  • I'm natural and I detangle down to the root sometimes.

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • I'm natural and I don't detangle down to the root.

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • I'm relaxed and I detangle down to the root every time.

Votes: 71 25.5%
  • I'm relaxed and I detangle down to the root sometimes.

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • I'm relaxed and I don't detangle down to the root.

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anon123

So I was detangling my hair and being mindful to get all the way to the roots. I'm tenderheaded, so this is not fun for me, but if I don't detangle all my hair, including the roots, there will be problems.

I was reminded of a YouTube video I saw of someone saying how she doesn't detangle the full length of the hair. (I can't remember who it was, does anyone remember? She was a type 4 natural) She doesn't detangle like the first inch or two out of the roots. I wondered how many people do this.

I detangle all the way to the roots, but only once or twice a week. I hate detangling my hair unless it's wet with conditioner in it to guide the process. I experience unnecessary breakage. Usually throughout the week I just finger separate my hair. But, alas, I'm a relaxed head. Idk if this works for all hair types.

I've been natural for all of two days so I'm not sure how much my opinion matters but I detangle all the way to the roots every day during my morning cowash. That's what I did during my 17.5 month transition, so I'm hoping it still works now.

I detangle from root to tip on wash days when I detangle with coconut oil.
I believe removing as much shedded hairs as possible helps in the long run and plust since I only do it once a week at the most, (I've been going on an average of 3 weeks washing and DC-ing) it's worth it.

I wouldn't want matted roots and smooth ends!

Bwahahahaha!!!

If I wanted the first two inches of my hair to dread, sure, I wouldn't detangle down to the root. But urrah - been there, done that, took the picture. :lol:

I detangle from root to tip everytime I detangle. :yep:

Oh...Just wanted to add. If there's some reason that I HAVE to detangle my hair other than on wash-days (which is rare) I'll only detangle my ends when I have heavy new growth because the ends are easier to smooth straight. I'll usually just scarf the ng to make it lie flat.

Last edited:
I detangle from root to tip on wash days when I detangle with coconut oil.
I believe removing as much shedded hairs as possible helps in the long run and plust since I only do it once a week at the most, (I've been going on an average of 3 weeks washing and DC-ing) it's worth it.

I wouldn't want matted roots and smooth ends!

me too.. I detangle completely.

I didn't know you could avoid detangling your roots entirely.
wouldn't you end up with a big dread sitting on your scalp? :lol:
or maybe that's just my hair...

I'm relaxed, but I use braids to stretch my relaxers for about forty weeks.
I detangle from tip to root.
but I am curious to know how others can manage not to, since new growth is a pain in my ***.

I feel like if the roots arent detangled then its not really detangled:look:

I don't have to detangle often but when I do, I always detangle tip to root then suspend my hair in a detangled state by braiding that section....works like a charm...once I apply my nourishspa condish the comb just glides on thru:grin:

I'll be in a whole heap of trouble if I tried to fool myself into thinking I didn't need to detangle tip to root. My hair tends to magically develop tangles as if out of thin air so I keep lots of oil and HEHH on hand.

Whatever girl in your OP from the youtube youre talking about is one lucky chick...either that or she's cutting corners.

I must be the only lazy one in the bunch. :look: I will admit I only do tip to root sometimes. The rest of the time I go up to an itch from the scalp. I usually go straight to the root when I want to blow dry, flat iron, or rollerset.

Then again I am SL so this will probably pose a problem when it gets longer.

Hmm interesting, I don't think i have ever found any tangles beyond the ends of my hair.

I feel like I am missing something now or doing something wrong or maybe I am detangling to the roots and don't know it ?!?!?!?!

Or maybe my hair isn't long enough to need a detangle at the roots?!?!?!?

I was the one natural that doesn't detangle all the way the roots. I don't know if it's laziness but it works for me. the last inch or two doesn't really need it. I don't have tangles at the root or dreds but I also don't comb thru my hair often.(like 1-2 times a month)

I detangle only on wash days from root to tip. I believe if you do a rush job you would get bad results which will lead to setback city!

I voted: natural/detangle everytime b/c MOST times i do. My hair is very fine around the perimeter (with thickness only in the back/middle area if that make sense) so it doesn't take as much time as i guess it does for the thicker haired ladies and i get minimal but ENOUGH ssk and such that i like stopping it before it starts. I detangle up to 3-4 x's a week.(GENTLY)

I'm transitioning. If I don't detangle down to the roots it turns into a matted mess.
It takes longer than I'd like it too, but it's a must.

I'm transitioning. If I don't detangle down to the roots it turns into a matted mess.
It takes longer than I'd like it too, but it's a must.

^^ @ the bolded:

Me too!! :yep:

I'm 7mos post and detangling down to the roots EVERY TIME is a must. I also agree that it's very important to take your time with transitioning hair. I have to be very gentle esp at the demarcation line when my hair is wet. So I just take my time with it, there's no rush.

With that said, I really don't have a lot of trouble with detangling my hair thanks to weekly DC's..they really make a difference for me. I only have problems with detangling when I use crappy shampoos:nono:

I detangle from root to tip, all the way, every time (not often for me though), just when I change 2-3 weeks+ protective style.

I detangle all the way down to the roots and I'm relaxed. However, I do detangle in the shower with conditioner, though. I have to do this or else my hair is a tangled mess.

I'm texlaxed and I detangle my hair fully on wash days from root to tip. If I don't I am asking for problems later. The NG will start to get very tangled and matte if I don't. Also the shed hair will get tangled up in the other hair and that is just a big mess. No detangling fully will lead to set backs.

I go all the way to the root, I hate it too mwedzi, because my head hurts after, but it's necessary imo.
I'm relaxed.

I'm natural and I only detangle my ends a lot of the time:look:

I'm usually too lazy to detangle all the way to the roots. I only detangle the roots when it crosses my mind that I haven't detangled them in a while. My roots hardly ever get tangled because my hair is usually in a puff or a twist out and the roots don't have a chance to get tangled. When I do detangle my roots they are no more difficult than my ends are.

The fear of dealing with hours of tears and detangling a matted mess motivates me --> End to root & back again.

Back