Do you detangle all the way to the roots?

Do you detangle down to the root?

• I'm natural and I detangle down to the root every time.

Votes: 131 47.1%
  • I'm natural and I detangle down to the root sometimes.

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • I'm natural and I don't detangle down to the root.

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • I'm relaxed and I detangle down to the root every time.

Votes: 71 25.5%
  • I'm relaxed and I detangle down to the root sometimes.

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • I'm relaxed and I don't detangle down to the root.

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm natural and guilty of only doing it sometimes. I do go from tip to root when I plan on straightening it.

Other wise I just use my fingers to detangle but I think I'm going to try to completely detangle more often and get rid of that shed hair.

As my hair gets longer I can see half-way detangling becoming a problem.

There shoulda been an option for "transitioning or texlaxed" heads (but I voted, "Other)." :) I'm transitioning (8+ mos post), and I detangle down to the roots on dry hair only on wash days (every 2-4 weeks). Otherwise, my hair is braided, and I don't comb it. If I happen to take it down between wash days, I only finger detangle. If I don't detangle down to the scalp (through all that NG), I will have loc'ing/matts most def.

Combing only on wash days has helped me to maintain thickness and defend breakage while transitioning, formerly while texlaxed, and also while relaxed and stretching. My hair loves low/no-manipulation, just like Sylver2. Very similar regi's in that respect. :)

Last edited:
I have to detangle the full length of my hair if not single strand knots and a whole lot of other problems will happen. I am texlaxed so I still have lots of coils, kinks, and curls in my hair and it would be a big mistake if I did not do all my hair.

ya know.. as I sit and think.. I dont always do it..sometimes I do..but I dont always ..not because I just dont want to.. I just dont think about it.. I must be mindful of this..could solve a lot of my frickin issues..

i'm natural and i don't always detangle all the way up to the roots but I don't really get a bunch of tangles since my hair is always braided. I co-wash in sections and rebraid it in the shower as i go. I only fully detangle when i shampoo 1x weekly. Course i've noticed that if i wear a wash and go my hair tangles soooo badly that i need to spend hours detangling with conditioner. Guess i'm in the minority but since it ain't broke i'm not about to fix it.

I don't even like to comb to the root(im relaxed). I try not to touch my hair at all is i want to save as much hair as possible.

I detangle the roots every time. I actually start detangling at the roots.:blush: I start there, go down as far as I can go which isn't too far then to the ends and work my way up. I don't know why i do that.

I do the EXACT same thing...not sure why, but instinctively, it feels right for my hair. No breakage either. I do the same for DD. I fully detangle our hair with each wash, from root down, then up from the ends.

Sometimes...many times...that detangling is finger detangling. I don't like a lot of combing right now. Do fingers count?

cj

I'm 100% natural and even though it's pain staking for me, I must detangle all the way or there's hell to pay! :yep:
Actually, it's a no win situation, but I'd better not skip this step. :nono:

I have to detangle to the roots or I would have locks by now.

I only detangle once or maximum twice a week though.

I'm relaxed and I detangle from root to tip on wash days only, which is once a week. I wear a bummost of the week so I don't comb much at all. The two or three days I wear my hair down, I don't detangle bc I'm usually wearing a rollerset and I don't want to lose my curls and body.

Everytime I detangle my hair I go from the ends all the way up to the roots. The majority of my tangles are at my roots, so I'd only be hurting myself if I didn't detangle there. Like mwedzi and some others, I'll pay later if I don't. For me, I'm doing a half assed job if I don't get down to the roots and if I don't have time to do it right, then I'm not going to mess around with my hair.
Also, detangling once a week helps tremendously because there is less shed hair to cause tangles. I'm tenderheaded too, so I try to make it as easy on myself as possible.

I'm natural for 6-7 years now and have come upon the best comb ever...

It was completely free and given to me on August the 24th, 1987

It is....

MY HAND!!!!

For years I have experimented with various combs..and have never found true success until I learned the magic and wonderment of a slippy conditioner and my ten fingers. It enables me to get down to the root with little to no problem. Also another thing that helps is when my hair is dry, the moisturizers I use are excellent detanglers...

This has worked for me with short and long hair (mid back)

my Ouidad double dentangling comb comes in a close second...

Last edited:
Ok I thought I was only one that did this... and it is definitely laziness. Especially if I am wearing my fro out, I think to myself 'what difference does it make'. Plus I hate wearing a braid/twist out and have to HEAVILY fluff the roots because you can see the parts, get it? I said that I was going to stop this starting this week.

Only on wash days with a whole lot of conditioner will I detangle from tip to root. I dont detangle every time I wash since my hair is in two strand twist most of the time but when my hair is out and I go to re-twist or wash and go even I detangle all the way with my fingers only. I dont think Ive ever used a comb/brush on my hair since natural!!

Back