Do you detangle all the way to the roots?

Do you detangle down to the root?

• I'm natural and I detangle down to the root every time.

Votes: 131 47.1%
  • I'm natural and I detangle down to the root sometimes.

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • I'm natural and I don't detangle down to the root.

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • I'm relaxed and I detangle down to the root every time.

Votes: 71 25.5%
  • I'm relaxed and I detangle down to the root sometimes.

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • I'm relaxed and I don't detangle down to the root.

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I recently detangled all the way up to the root for the first time in months!! LOL

I don’t use a comb to detangle; I just use my fingers and run my fingers through my hair to check for snags. I stare in the mirror for what seems like an hour to see any potential tangles and take those out.

It works for my hair. Detangling all the way to the root, each time, with any utensil was decorating my sink and floor.

I'll be in a whole heap of trouble if I tried to fool myself into thinking I didn't need to detangle tip to root. My hair tends to magically develop tangles as if out of thin air so I keep lots of oil and HEHH on hand.

Whatever girl in your OP from the youtube youre talking about is one lucky chick...either that or she's cutting corners.

Off subject...FYI I'm drooling over your hair in your siggy :lick::lick: Gawjus!

I had a huge set-back off of not detangling during a 6 month stretch. And it was a nightmare. So ever since then I detangling the shower with conditioner and then again when risnsing. My hair loves it :)

To me detangling means from root to end, it doesn't make sense otherwise. But if if works for her then thats cool.

Oh...Just wanted to have. If there's some reason that I HAVE to detangle my hair other than on wash-days (which is rare) I'll only detangle my ends when I have heavy new growth because the ends are easier to smooth straight. I'll usually just scarf the ng to make it lie flat.

I do the exact same thing. Fully detangle on wash days only and finger detangle during the week. I don't comb through my ng unless its wash day

Interesting enough I don't have to detangle like I did before. I use the tension method cool air (thanks pinkskates) when my hair is 80% dry & use my fingers to detangle my roots. The roots seem to not tangle because I was my hair in loose cornrows. This works since since I am transitioning.

I have learned the hard way to detangle all the way to my roots.

As a result of not doing so, i had to cut out 4 pieces of my hair. setback central...

What was once my thicker side is now my thinner side. and my hair is uneven.

no longer HL. I'm closer to WL now.

eh...

I detangle all the way to the root every time because if I don't my kinky, coily, thick, nappy stuff will dread up and we cant have that.:nono:

Last edited:
when i was transitioning (i made it 26 weeks before doing my BC), from 24 weeks on i could *not* get to my roots with a comb. finger detangling was all i could do.

now that i'm natural, i just slather conditioner on my hair, & brush it all back with a denman-type brush in the shower.

funny: it's easier now to detangle as a coily 4something than it ever was with straight hair.

being natural #ftw! :grin:

Y'all got me feeling like an outcast in here :look:. I'm a 4a-4b natural, almost BSL and I don't detangle all the way to my roots 99% of the time. If I do, it's accidental. I have never had matting at my roots or tangles for that matter. I detangle my ends and stop about 2in or so before my roots. I do the front and nape of my hair down with my paddle brush sometimes to put it in a bun. But that's it :spinning:.

I detangle the roots every time. I actually start detangling at the roots.:blush: I start there, go down as far as I can go which isn't too far then to the ends and work my way up. I don't know why i do that.

i hateeeeeeeeee detangling!!!!!! i never get the root, it cant, its hard (crys) even as texlaxed i cant detangle. (i never expected detangling to be easy once texlaxed) my hair is too thick, to bushy, to deep, too wide, too long, too everything,

^^^^^^^^^^^ its not that the knots dont come out easy, its just that theres alot of them to do, my hair dreads up like out of this world,

I voted that I don't detangle down to the root because I only detangle all the way when I wash my hair and comb it out in the shower. Other than that I just make sure it is de-MATTED, the tangles I take out with my fingers, or spray or apply leave-in and separate with my fingers.

Since using EVCO I rarely get tangling.

I'm relaxed and no matter how far along I am in my stretch I always detangle down to the root. If I don't there will be BIG PROBLEMS.

I only detangle to the root once every 2weeks or once a week if I worked out or had a lot of activity with my hair in and "out" style that allow my hair to shrink up.

I find that I retain more hair if I dont over detangle every co-wash or style change. my hair isnt really prone to matting because of my texture,I have a very tight kinky wave and my hair doenst coil around itself. So I can get away with this more than someone with a circular kinky coil pattern.

This is one of those things where you have to learn what works for your hair type!

Relaxed - and I detangle all the way to the roots with a fine tooth comb weekly (for smooth rollersetting). My hair is extra tangly and fine but I have a lot of hair. The combination of all of these three would = breakage if I fully detangled any more often.

Back