Votes: 31 6.5%
  • Never comb....only use fingers

Votes: 58 12.2%
  • Combing???? What is that????.......

Votes: 16 3.4%

• Total voters
so how often do you comb your hair???
everyday unless I'm doin a wash n go: than I comb 2x a week
has combing/not combing often helped retain length???
not combing allows me to stay out my hair but combing helps massage my scalp and distribute the product throughout my hair.
which size comb/s do you use???
i have 5 different combs. tiny (rollerset) medium (relaxer) 2 regular (detangle) large (shower)
do you feel combing hasnt affected your hair's health/length if you comb often
i detangle properly so i lose little to no hair
which style do you use to maintain presentable hair if you dont comb often???
banana clip....i use hair accessories to keep my hair up when I don't comb the whole week

HTH

I comb my hair once a week. In between, I cowash everynight and my part stays the same so my hair dries smooth, with everything going in the direction I want it to.

When my hair is flatironed, I do comb everyday. I use a wide-toothed shower comb.

there is not one day that goes by that i do not comb my hair(with a wide tooth comb). unless i have some kind of curls.

how often do you comb your hair???
* Everyday or twice daily

* I don't know?

*I use a detangling comb and then a shower comb on wash days

* Yes, I think hair shed's naturally whether its combed or not, I think you only notice it more as you see it in the comb. I may be wrong?

* That's what I'd like to know! Messy buns & banana clips i guess?

I'm with Sylver2 on this one. I am relaxed/texlaxed and sport WNGo's about every day, so I only comb/ detangle when I wash.

I only comb on wash days. I think not combing has helped me retain length because I have less breakage. I use a large comb - a rake comb. I also use a Denman brush.

I see a few people saying that infrequent combing has lessened their shedding. How does that work? :look: If your hair has reach the end of its cycle, it's going to fall out, combing or no combing. So no, shedding is not affected, breakage is.

However, the last time I took them down I tried using Chicoro's detangling method and I wound up not combing at all.....and it worked
What is this detangling method of which thou speakest?:thought:

I don't think my hair has been affected. I feel you need to comb your hair daily or at least detangle. You must keep the shed hairs from getting tangled with your hair, thus knots and tangles that tear out more hair. Just my opinion.
*You* need to comb *your* hair everyday. Everybody's hair is different. My hair gets tangles and knots and dreads when I don't comb (with a comb, not fingers) frequently. But I know for a fact that there are some people who this does not happen to. Examples are right on this board, e.g. Flowerhair.

*I think hair sheds naturally whether its combed or not, I think you only notice it more as you see it in the comb. I may be wrong?
Yeah, you're right, but people are not trying to prevent shedding. They're trying to minimise breakage. If you have extremely fragile hair or textured (i.e. nappy/ curly) hair, running a comb through it everyday could be like giving yourself a daily haircut.

It's about finding the balance that works for you. The point were low manipulation minimises breakage, but does not cause so many tangles that your rip your hair out (counterproductive).

That's what I'm trying to do right now, because low mani really aids retention since my hair is so fragile, but my hair tangles like mad, so I need to find another way to retain, or a way to smooth my hair out so that it doesn't tangle so much between combings.

Yep my hair is in medium sized single braids all day, but every night (or other night depending on if my hair still feels moisturiized) I will apply MT to my scalp, and moisturize and seal the ends. To make sure that the products are evenly distributed I comb it through. My hair loves me for it. And on wash days its NEVER tangled.

Using my shower comb has saved me from a lot of heartache. I don't lose much hair, and I don't comb much. I try not to comb everyday but I usually comb to put my hair in a bun, or make the roller-set looks nice

When putting my dry hair in a bun or updo, I'll rake the comb lightly over the top to smooth (never combing dry NG or dry ends).

I fully comb on wash days, but I never comb my dry ends because I airdry.

ETA: I voted that I comb every other day, but that's only because I wash my hair whenever I feel like it.

Last edited:

Once a week - on wash day unless i'm straightening sometime during the week.

I think so.

Usually a large comb. When rollersettign though, sometimes I use a medium or small comb after the large one to make sure there are no clumps.

It does for my hair which is fine.

I usually roller set and wrap at night so it's straight-ish and then finger comb and wear a phony pony/ a bun.

7 days out and I haven't combed!! I'm trying to just do condition washes, not combing, using hands to smooth into a ponytail, moisturize and seal. That's it. I'll CW every 3 days. Comb every 10 days when I wash. I'm experimenting to see how my hair reacts, especially to little or not manipulation!! :yep:

Hey Vnaps :wave: !!

I really try not to comb. But being a 4b I can't avoid it completely. Less combing has definately helped me retain more length because in my Pre-hairboards life.... I used to RAKE through my hair so violently :hammer::spank::badgirl:, and end up with handfuls of hair ... sadly, I thought it was normal. I grew up with people treating my hair this way :fistshake::boxing::brucelee::bat:. The one person who was gentle with my hair was my mother, but she hardly ever did my hair. I'm now much more cautious when combing, and am retaining a lot more length than I used to :locks: - usig a wide tooth comb.

My hair is in braids or weaves mostly (following c&g method) - which means I comb even less.:yep:

Hey Urban!!! good to hear from you....

i know what you mean bout raking the hair lol....my mum was also very gentle and my hair thrived when she did it....it was a different matter when i had to start doing it lol

i hope to try very minimum combing coz i'm just not seeing the progress i desire :nono:....even though i'm pretty good with my regime....

I regularly comb once a week. But I'm working on making that every other week.

hope it works out for you mwedzi....

when i transitioned for a year bout 3 years ago it was really hard not to comb often....

but that was pre lhcf and i know dc's help alot as well as moisturizing.....

let me know how it goes...

I'm comb everyday, several times a day. My hair is not damaged or falling out. I don't see why combing is bad. Wouldn't you get tangles and then breakage?

hmmm.....dont know bout combing that often....BUT....i guess i agree with the tangles and breakage.....

do you get many hairs (not shedding) in your comb???

I had no idea all these ladies didnt comb their hair :eek2:

and some for so long of a time :eek2:

eta: I thought I WAS the the only crazy one going for a week or more LOL

this is interesting to know

I dont think I could push it any further than I do if I dont want to end up with locs, I dont know how some of you ladies do it

am with you on that one irresistible....i thought it would be a handful of people....

its very interesting.....and most of the people are natural...WOW

hmmm.....dont know bout combing that often....BUT....i guess i agree with the tangles and breakage.....

do you get many hairs (not shedding) in your comb???

Very few, usually none. And I use a small toothed comb. I don't know. I don't wear protective styles, I don't seal my ends, I don't moisturize daily, I don't co-wash, and my hair is growing fast and it's healthier than ever. :lachen:Maybe my hair is just a bit resilient. :grin:

When I rollerset, I use four different combs. A very wide tooth comb, a medium one, one of those yellow rat-tail ones, and a very fine tooth one. I hardly lose any hair.

I don't use a comb; I use a pick. But I've decided to try not using the pick at all nor my brush for as long as I can.

I would like to comb my hair more often during the week but I tend to forget. Then I have a ton of hair that has shedded on wash day.

I use a Magic Star Jumbo Rake.

i hardly comb my hair . i do comb my hair maybe like every two months . because i keep my hair up in various style ,,,,,i have very low mantiuplation . i just leave it alone and kept going. I think you shouldnt comb your hair more than like once a week . other than that you should just figure comb your hair . if you must comb it you should use a ide tooth comb. :drunk:

i hardly comb my hair . i do comb my hair maybe like every two months . because i keep my hair up in various style ,,,,,i have very low mantiuplation . i just leave it alone and kept going. I think you shouldnt comb your hair more than like once a week . other than that you should just figure comb your hair . if you must comb it you should use a ide tooth comb. :drunk:
I agree with you! :yep: That's what I do right now with my hair because I'm just too lazy to fight against the tangle and it helps me retain some length...otherwise my hair would break all the time! I only use a comb when my hair has condish on and the rest of the week I use my fingers and use a comb only to part my hair.

Maybe once a month only in the shower. I wouldn't dare try to rake anything through this mess when it's dry. But, if I decide to straighten then I will detagle with the denman. Finger comb to maintain.

Definately. Any extra manipulation for me spells damage, tangles, and splits.
Denman D? most often. I use a jilbere shower comb or wide tooth comb sparingly.
I have been real lazy with it lately and just braid it and wig it if I go out. lol
(adding a poll)[/quote]

well when I was relaxed I combed everyday all day all the time. My hair grew all the time but it also broke off at moments, but that was due to not sleeping with a scarf, and not cleansing and deep conditioning.

Now that I'm natural I can't comb my hair, unless its wet with conditioner in it, but when I'm straight I comb it.

Back