Votes: 33 3.2%
  • No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your help ladies. I plan on using a modified version of Curly Nikki's recipe - with green tea, honey and some coconut oil. I just remembered I have some Giovanni Smooth as Silk to use up so I'll probably use that instead of washing to remove the henna after dunking my head in a sink. I'll DC with my favourite, AO Honeysuckle Rose.

I have almost APL length 4b thick natural hair - can anyone clarify how much henna and indigo I should use, what have your experiences been?

Hi ladies

I have been reading this post for ever - (still not finished so sorry if this has been covered between pages 102 and here!)

I have ordered my BAQ Jamila henna and indigo powder and am very eager to jump on the bandwagon, I'm going for as black as my hair will go. My question is when doing a 2 step application, I need to apply henna, wash/rinse with condish several times, apply indigo, and after rinsing the indigo then do my moisturising DC, right?

TIA

I got amazing results doing the two step treatment and I have the entire process in my fotki recipe album. Maybe you could check it out for some more tips I have in there that would give you awesome results if you like. I have pics in there too.

Pookiwah, don't wait too long :)

Aggie are you up to sharing pics and recipe for on my blog? I was doing a trade of 100 grams of any herbal hair product for that with reference to the person's website/blog if they had one.

Pookiwah, don't wait too long :)

Aggie are you up to sharing pics and recipe for on my blog? I was doing a trade of 100 grams of any herbal hair product for that with reference to the person's website/blog if they had one.

I would love to Khadija. I am travelling right now though and wouldn't have access to my picture album until March 20th unfortunately. Would you be willing to wait until then?

Can you post a pic of this pot and a link where I can purchase one pretty please GV:grin:? Girl my grays are coming in too fast and if I can reverse it, that would be so so cool:yep:. Or is it the pot you're talking about?

Thanks, Aggie. :kiss: I've been looking for a pot as well. I don't think the Indian/Pakistani markets around here have them; or, if they do, I'm not sure what to look for.

Still trying to get more red or orange in my hair. It's working slowly the more I henna. I usually henna using Jamila. I add orange pekoe, red tea or chamomile tea in my henna and did get some color but only a little bit. More highlights than anything else...

I'll try the Kool-Aid/hibiscus this weekend...

Serenity Peace, have you tired any other henna powders for more of a deeper red like indian or yemeni? Maybe it might be a bit more intense in the color, as far as my own experience has been

Aggie, you know I will be waiting :) Not a problem. be safe in your travels.

Serenity Peace, have you tired any other henna powders for more of a deeper red like indian or yemeni? Maybe it might be a bit more intense in the color, as far as my own experience has been

Aggie, you know I will be waiting :) Not a problem. be safe in your travels.

So, Yemen might do the trick? I'll try that and order from your site? Which Yemen powder should I purchase?

Thanks in advance!! :kiss:

Okay I am convinced that I need to try this. The shine I have seen on some of these ladies' hair after using henna has been unbelievable. Will def check out this thread and live in the fotkis of the Henna pros. Thanks.

I henna'd this weekend with WONDERFUL results. I could not believe the softness and shine...it was amazing, to say the least. Oh, and the color....BEAUTIFUL. It added soft warm red tones to my bland brown tresses. It made it look more rich to me. I definitely plan on doing this as often as possible. My mix consisted of:

2 tbsp Beauty Herbal Henna Plus (which contains Amla Brahmi, Shikakai, Mahabringraj, Tanin, and Coffee)

1/2 cup of freshly brewed Nettle Leaf Tea

I let it sit for close to 2 hours before applying to release some of the coloring properties. While it sat, I pre-poo'd for 2 hours and then applied the mix and let it stand for about 45mins (I henna for condition mainly). Then I rinsed WELL, cowashed 2x and dc'd.

The results were magnificent!

:grin:I finally did it! I hennaed and I luv it! I mixed 100g of Jamila henna with lemon herbal tea and let that sit for about 15 hours. I pre-pooed with Burt's Bee Avocado Butter and then pooed with CD Rosemary Mint with Sea Moss. I conditioned with Shikai Daily Conditioner w/Alma and then air dried 50% with some coconut oil. Right before applying the henna I added some of the Shikai conditioner and some coconut oil to the mix to combat any dryness and then applied. Wrapped hair with saran wrap, covered with plastic cap and then tied with a satin headcloth that has plastic built into it. Rinsed henna out after 3 hours with more Shikai conditioner with Dabur Alma oil added. DC'd with CD Tui Smoothie with honey and coconut oil added to it..........whew okay so that was a step by step of my first experience with henna.......my hair is soft, beautifully highlighted and manageable even being almost 9 weeks post.

I haven't henna'ed in a while but I still have some Henna in the freezer from December .. Can I still use it (can't remember the timeline) ...it is more of a Henna Gloss as there are conditioners mixed in...

I just henna'd my hair for the first time and I love it. Look...

Henna_beforeafter-vi.jpg

I expected it to darken my hair and turn my grays (what grays!) orange, but I didn't expect it to loosen the texture.

Does anyone else henna and have you had this experience?

BTW, both photos are in 4PM sunlight w/ the same products. :look:

I love henna, I make a homemade protein pack every week for my hair and my hair loves it. Henna is one of the best natural conditioning ingredients you can use.

OK so I spent the last 2 weeks reading all 108 pages of the henna thread on NC. Then today I saw this one. :blush:

Spiral and curly Nicky's results convinced me that I had to try it.
I did my first henna 3 days ago and I'm hooked.

I think my hair has more red than i expected but it couldn't be that much because DH didn't notice till I told him (a day after). I took photos and just put them on my fotki.

I'm on a mission now to order a kilo or two,
and read all the pages of this thread.

Last edited:
I did a henna this weekend too ( *sigh*.....again) I just cant seem to get my mixture to be less gritty and more smooth-ish. I want my henna to "stick" together a bit more....like a creamier consistency. I added mostly water, then before I applied I added Tresemms Moisture Vitamin E condish, and 2tblsp coconut oil. As I was applying, there were still "mud" pieces of henna falling from my head on the floor, shirt, etc. I sleep overnite with my henna so I don't wait for color release. It just happens by morning. Isn't there a way to make the paste a bit more "gummy" so that the application goes on more like a creamy relaxer instead of the dirt/grit feeling?? I hope I explained this correctly. I want to make monthly henna-ing a part of my permanent regime, but I need to have this thing go on my head and stay there until I cover it down.:wallbash:

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions, ideas.

I did a henna this weekend too ( *sigh*.....again) I just cant seem to get my mixture to be less gritty and more smooth-ish. I want my henna to "stick" together a bit more....like a creamier consistency. I added mostly water, then before I applied I added Tresemms Moisture Vitamin E condish, and 2tblsp coconut oil. As I was applying, there were still "mud" pieces of henna falling from my head on the floor, shirt, etc. I sleep overnite with my henna so I don't wait for color release. It just happens by morning. Isn't there a way to make the paste a bit more "gummy" so that the application goes on more like a creamy relaxer instead of the dirt/grit feeling?? I hope I explained this correctly. I want to make monthly henna-ing a part of my permanent regime, but I need to have this thing go on my head and stay there until I cover it down.:wallbash:

It sounds like you're not not mixing enough liquid in your formula, Is it creamy in the bowl before you apply it? What type of Henna are you using?

baddison, what I do is pour all my powders in the bowl first. Then I use my fingers to rub and grind the clumped powders until very fine and powdery. I find that when I do this before adding the water and oils, I don't have problems with lumps in my henna or my ayurveda powder glosses. I also add oils last, even after my henna has released color. I would add a little more oil if I were you though. I often use 2 or 4oz of oil, depending on what and how much I'm making.

I haven't henna'ed in a while but I still have some Henna in the freezer from December .. Can I still use it (can't remember the timeline) ...it is more of a Henna Gloss as there are conditioners mixed in...

I think the henna glosses last up to 6 months in the freezer so this should be fine sqzbly.

It sounds like you're not not mixing enough liquid in your formula, Is it creamy in the bowl before you apply it? What type of Henna are you using?

I am using Colora Henna - Black. Love the one-step results, just need to get it more creamy rather than sandy.:wallbash:

baddison, what I do is pour all my powders in the bowl first. Then I use my fingers to rub and grind the clumped powders until very fine and powdery. I find that when I do this before adding the water and oils, I don't have problems with lumps in my henna or my ayurveda powder glosses. I also add oils last, even after my henna has released color. I would add a little more oil if I were you though. I often use 2 or 4oz of oil, depending on what and how much I'm making.

Thanks, aggie...I know you're a guru at this. I will try this next month.:yep:

I finally did it!!!

I should have read this whole thread though....LAWD -that is alot to read!!!

Next week's henna should be better!

YAY!!! I ordered henna/indigo, should be here by this weekend. I can't wait to Hendigo my hair. Its been a while since I last did it (3 months or so) so I will need read some post to remember all the ingredients.

So EXCITED!!! I :heart: henna/indigo.

So - took the Braided hair down.... And this is a - maz - ing.

I did the whole henna thing wrong - and my hair still came out great.

I am never turning back.

I'm going to henna on Friday. Instead of conditioner I am mixing with amla oil, jasmine oil (I need to do something with it) and evco. Hopefully I can get the shine I'm looking for. This time I think I'm going to add a little acv in it for a lighter color for whenever the warm weather comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back