Do Successful Women Intimidate Men? I'd like your thoughts on this article

BeautifulFlower

Why this article?

I went out with an old high school friend this past weekend and he told me he has been intimidated by me since high school. I notice this to be a common theme amongst the men I am going out with.

When we go out the night always gravitates to what I look like, what I drive, and where I work and how I need to be with 'this' (rich, tall, powerful usual) kind of man. I spend the rest of the evening defending why I am just "a little black girl from DC" and just like everyone else.

Now, I hang out with very intelligent, attractive men with good/great jobs and they are moving up in the world so there's no reason they should feel inadequete in my opinion. I am gettting very annoyed because now I see its preventing guys from approaching me. The only ones I hang with are guys that know me through someone and see that I am very easily approachable.

Do you think men are intimidated by successful women or people in general? Do you think men will be honest when asked this question? What do you do to encourage a men that its not a competition and you dont mind where he is right now (assuming he wont be 'here' forever)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Do Successful Women Intimidate Men?

Are smart, successful women intimidating? We asked men what they think.

by Lyz Baranowski

Christine is a 41 year-old New Yorker. She has competed in 11 marathons, runs her own consulting firm and is working on her Ph.D. She is also single. Christine recalls, "I recently had a male friend tell me, 'Chris, men just want a woman who's going to be home and be a great wife and mother. You're too intense. Look at you, you're going 100 mph all the time, no guy wants that.'"
"I am attractive, in gosh-darn good shape, fun, great sense of humor, full of energy and life, smart and ambitious," says Christine. "You would think these are qualities men would like—and most [men] say they do—but sooner or later, I feel like they begin feeling inferior or inadequate as a man or breadwinner." Christine isn't alone in her frustration. According to the book Why Smart Men Marry Smart Women, over half of single women believe that their success is intimidating to men.

So, do women really intimidate men? We asked men what they thought and were surprised by their answers.
http://www.burstnet.com/ads/ad20751f-map.cgi/BCPG161449.229647.280071/SZ=300X100A/V=2.3S//REDIRURL
"Strong, aggressive, ambitious people intimidate weak, passive, lackadaisical people regardless of sex. They remind these people of the existential crisis that cause their current state of being," says Daniel, 25, a Web editor from Boston. "It's the gap in intelligence—not gender—that causes the intimidation."
Jeff Kamp, 30, a software engineer, agrees, "The intimidated male might not be intimidated by the woman, but by the power, ambition and aggressiveness, and his reaction may cause a woman to see it as her being a woman."
A few men even admitted that they thought women cried intimidation as a cop out. "Do strong career minded women intimidate guys? I doubt it," says Joe Woods a 25 year-old a hardware engineer living in Iowa. "It probably has more to do with these women having chosen to spend their time and effort trying to accomplish other goals instead of pursuing and working on relationships."
"It's totally an excuse," says Clouds. "Men use it when they can't meet women too."
Scott White, 29, is a fitness instructor and doesn't even consider the possibility of intimidation. "No way no how," says White, adding, "although, I am not intimidated by much, especially not women. I know this answer sounds a bit crude maybe or chauvinistic…why would I ever be intimidated by a woman?"
Recent research supports these conclusions. According to the 2005 Current Population Survey, a single 30-year-old woman is more likely to marry by age 40 if she has a graduate degree than if she doesn't. But Jane Scandurra, producer and director of the documentary Single warns against reading too much into these statistics. "Either biologically or sociologically men have it ingrained in their minds that it is a competition," says Scandurra. "There may be some guys out there who aren't intimidated, but are there enough?"
"Of course men deny it," laughed Marilyn Barnicke Belleghem a family therapist. "they just aren't telling the truth because the question intimidates them."

But other men aren't so quick to deny being intimidated. Jesse, a 26 year-old seminary student living in California, says, "Honestly, when it comes down to it, all men have a little bit of both inside them, simply because of the historical dominance of males in society. Men inherit milllennia years of social and hierarchical dominance and either knowingly or unknowingly have an irrational fear of losing their 'territory.'"
Jon Doane, 30, agrees. He admits he found his wife intimidating when they first met. "She is smart and kind," says Jon, "but [the intimidation] wasn't her issue, it was mine."
For many men like Jon, the power politics of intimidation also have sexual connotations. "As a younger single man, I was intimidated by the women I was attracted to; the more sexually attracted I was, the more intimidated I felt," says Bruce Alexander, 37. "They had the power to grant or deny my romantic desires and, whether they knew it or not, they wielded that power. I believe it was a combination of a lack of self-confidence on my part and the natural forces inherent in sexual relationships.

And for some, the answer is not so simple. "The real problem may be considering women who are unmarried to be failures," says Mark Anderson, 42. "We don't usually think of unmarried guys in this way, if their lives are going well otherwise. Especially if they are very successful in other ways.
Yet, while there are no clear answers, it is evident that as society grows and changes the issue of how men and women interact is an ever evolving and complicated one. Women today lead richer lives and settle down for love and companionship, rather than out of social pressure or economic necessity.
And the good news is, some men find this to be a good thing. Says Christopherson, "There are many men who are attracted (both sexually and socially) to strong, powerful and/or influential women. They see these traits as contributing to the complexity of that woman's character and personality."
And he's right. According to Why Smart Men Marry Smart Women, 2005 Current Population Survey data shows, "Successful women in their 30s have options—and [women] in their late 30s are significantly more likely to walk down the aisle than their less accomplished sisters."
So there are good guys out there, now it's just a matter of finding them.

Last edited:
Interesting article!

Back in the day, my answer would have been a resounding HECK YES!

Now that I'm over 30 (like the article says), I'm not as sure. I see very smart women getting in relationships and getting married all the time. Here are my thoughts.

Why this article?

I went out with an old high school friend this past weekend and he told me he has been intimidated by me since high school. I notice this to be a common theme amongst the men I am going out with.

When we go out the night always gravitates to what I look like, what I drive, and where I work and how I need to be with 'this' (rich, tall, powerful usual) kind of man. I spend the rest of the evening defending why I am just "a little black girl from DC" and just like everyone else.

Now, I hang out with very intelligent, attractive men with good/great jobs and they are moving up in the world so there's no reason they should feel inadequete in my opinion. I am gettting very annoyed because now I see its preventing guys from approaching me. The only ones I hang with are guys that know me through someone and see that I am very easily approachable.

I don't know how old these guys are that you're going out with, but I suggest you go slightly older. As in, 6-8 years (not some old grandpa).

I found that the intimidation factor totally went away when I dealt with men at least five years older. Also, I really think that you should stop defending anything. Actually, I would be rather annoyed to be around a man who wants to go on and on about how "intimidated" he is. That's REALLY a turnoff... instead of indulging him in this conversation, I think you need to nip it in the bud as soon as it starts.

These people need to take you or leave you as you are. No further discussion about it.

What do you do to encourage a men that its not a competition and you dont mind where he is right now (assuming he wont be 'here' forever)?

I don't encourage anything. If he's intimidated, we don't need to be dating. I'm not a man's therapist or counselor. If I accept him as he is, he needs to do the same for me. Don't waste your time.

ETA: Did you read this thread? http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=478778&highlight=respect

Note No. 2. This is the EXACT reason, from a man's mouth, that "encouraging" an intimidated man is probably a bad idea.

"Strong, aggressive, ambitious people intimidate weak, passive, lackadaisical people regardless of sex. They remind these people of the existential crisis that cause their current state of being," says Daniel, 25, a Web editor from Boston. "It's the gap in intelligence—not gender—that causes the intimidation."

Daniel is on the money.

More in the next post...

Last edited:
A few men even admitted that they thought women cried intimidation as a cop out. "Do strong career minded women intimidate guys? I doubt it," says Joe Woods a 25 year-old a hardware engineer living in Iowa. "It probably has more to do with these women having chosen to spend their time and effort trying to accomplish other goals instead of pursuing and working on relationships."
"It's totally an excuse," says Clouds. "Men use it when they can't meet women too."
Scott White, 29, is a fitness instructor and doesn't even consider the possibility of intimidation. "No way no how," says White, adding, "although, I am not intimidated by much, especially not women. I know this answer sounds a bit crude maybe or chauvinistic…why would I ever be intimidated by a woman?"

I thought these guys actually had good points as well, especially the first one.

See, this is what I see sometimes... women can often do SO much and be SO fabulous that they never make time to build relationships. Now, this might not be on purpose... like the woman in the story, I'm sure that they would be great partners and would like to find a good man.

But... when does she make time to have one? I'm ALL for women maximizing their single lives, but I've said this before... sometimes, you can appear TOO content as a single person. My fiance and I talked about it, and he said that one complaint that he and some of his friends had while dating is that some of these uber-successful women NEVER made time for dates!

Either they were always traveling to the next big (and long) trip they planned, had some sort of class (Pilates, cooking, pottery, etc.), a job obligation, a weekend hike, etc. Even a man who likes this type of woman can get frustrated if she comes across as so overscheduled that she has no time to spend with a man.

Last summer, when I decided I wanted to get serious about dating, I deliberately kept my schedule open for the mere possibility of dating. I know this is supposedly a big no-no for single women -- you know, because we're supposed to be out living and all -- but I realized that I made dating such a low priority for a while that it was time to make it a HIGH priority. I took only one trip (and it was a weekend trip), got involved in a few activities that didn't take up much time and left my weekends open for whatever could develop.

So... I would say that it might help some of these very successful women to scale back on the single-woman activities to a degree and make time for relationships. Then, ONLY spend time with men who appreciate them for who they are!

Don't play down your accomplishments, but play UP your warm and funny side. If you were a man, what would you be looking for in a woman? THAT'S what you should be talking about when you first meet a man. As he gets to know you, he'll learn about all of your accomplishments, hobbies, skills and goals later on... and if he's the right one, he'll appreciate them.

Whew, that was long!

I don't know how old these guys are that you're going out with, but I suggest you go slightly older. As in, 6-8 years (not some old grandpa).

I found that the intimidation factor totally went away when I dealt with men at least five years older. Also, I really think that you should stop defending anything. Actually, I would be rather annoyed to be around a man who wants to go on and on about how "intimidated" he is. That's REALLY a turnoff... instead of indulging him in this conversation, I think you need to nip it in the bud as soon as it starts.

These people need to take you or leave you as you are. No further discussion about it.

I am generally attracted to older men about 4 to 5 years older but I decided to give the younger guys a chance. With the older ones, they have issues. With the younger ones, they are so awe struck they cant get pass what I have. So you're probably right, maybe I should be looking for guys in their 30s (im about 25).

I don't encourage anything. If he's intimidated, we don't need to be dating. I'm not a man's therapist or counselor. If I accept him as he is, he needs to do the same for me. Don't waste your time.

ETA: Did you read this thread? http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=478778&highlight=respect

Note No. 2. This is the EXACT reason, from a man's mouth, that "encouraging" an intimidated man is probably a bad idea.

Daniel is on the money.

More in the next post...

I dont play down myself much but I do avoid talking about it too much with people in general. But you make a point, if I accept them they should accept me.

And I havent seen that thread but Im checkin it out now.

I thought these guys actually had good points as well, especially the first one.

See, this is what I see sometimes... women can often do SO much and be SO fabulous that they never make time to build relationships. Now, this might not be on purpose... like the woman in the story, I'm sure that they would be great partners and would like to find a good man.

But... when does she make time to have one? I'm ALL for women maximizing their single lives, but I've said this before... sometimes, you can appear TOO content as a single person. My fiance and I talked about it, and he said that one complaint that he and some of his friends had while dating is that some of these uber-successful women NEVER made time for dates!

Either they were always traveling to the next big (and long) trip they planned, had some sort of class (Pilates, cooking, pottery, etc.), a job obligation, a weekend hike, etc. Even a man who likes this type of woman can get frustrated if she comes across as so overscheduled that she has no time to spend with a man.

Last summer, when I decided I wanted to get serious about dating, I deliberately kept my schedule open for the mere possibility of dating. I know this is supposedly a big no-no for single women -- you know, because we're supposed to be out living and all -- but I realized that I made dating such a low priority for a while that it was time to make it a HIGH priority. I took only one trip (and it was a weekend trip), got involved in a few activities that didn't take up much time and left my weekends open for whatever could develop.

So... I would say that it might help some of these very successful women to scale back on the single-woman activities to a degree and make time for relationships. Then, ONLY spend time with men who appreciate them for who they are!

Don't play down your accomplishments, but play UP your warm and funny side. If you were a man, what would you be looking for in a woman? THAT'S what you should be talking about when you first meet a man. As he gets to know you, he'll learn about all of your accomplishments, hobbies, skills and goals later on... and if he's the right one, he'll appreciate them.

Whew, that was long!

Did you find having a 'list' of must haves and praying (while taking action of course) worked for you at all?

I am generally attracted to older men about 4 to 5 years older but I decided to give the younger guys a chance. With the older ones, they have issues. With the younger ones, they are so awe struck they cant get pass what I have. So you're probably right, maybe I should be looking for guys in their 30s (im about 25).

I feel you on the older guys with issues... sigh... sometimes you can't win for losing!

But yeah, me and younger men NEVER seemed to work out for some reason... even at 30-32, the men my age were not serious. I had to go up to late 30s to really find some possibilities.

I dont play down myself much but I do avoid talking about it too much with people in general. But you make a point, if I accept them they should accept me.

And I havent seen that thread but Im checkin it out now.

I don't think that most accomplished women really talk about themselves all that much! Which is why I get especially annoyed by a man being intimidated... I barely say anything about my degrees, career, house, etc. It's simply the fact that I HAVE them that makes them intimidated.

However, I NEVER played myself down or tried to make THEM feel more comfortable. Ever. If they feel uncomfortable just being in my presence, that's a reflection of THEIR issues. It says nothing about me.

Did you find having a 'list' of must haves and praying (while taking action of course) worked for you at all?

Yes! The list worked very well actually!

You probably see me on this board always talking about having a man on my level, despite some folks getting butt-hurt about the fact that I dare suggest that there might be "levels" in the first place. :lol:

I said that I needed an intelligent, accomplished man with a great sense of intellectual curiosity. I made that a must-have... because before, I didn't stress that. I used to say that as long as he was a good man who cared about me, the other stuff didn't matter.

And yet, THAT was almost always a factor in our breakup.

My FH is the first man to actually be more educated and accomplished than me (although I didn't require that), and I found that by aiming high, I got exactly what I wanted all along!

Why do you do that?

Love Bunny77's posts!

In my experience it's less about intimidation then a particular man's comfort zone. A lot of men are very competitive and so when they're with a successful woman it brings that competitive energy to the relationship...which can just be weird. I've dated more then a few men where I felt like they were trying to make me "smaller".

Also, I've found a fair amount of men don't want to be with a woman who's an equal because they see their home space as a place were they just "be" and if you're a woman who has a full life or an engaged intellect it feels like more work for them. I can't tell you how many relationships I've seen where the guy is Mr Personality in public but wants to just be a lump in front of the couch when he's home with his wife.

In general your average guy is pretty lazy when it comes to his relationship and being with a successful woman makes them feel like they need to up their game and they don't like it.

Last edited:
Yes! The list worked very well actually!

You probably see me on this board always talking about having a man on my level, despite some folks getting butt-hurt about the fact that I dare suggest that there might be "levels" in the first place. :lol:

I said that I needed an intelligent, accomplished man with a great sense of intellectual curiosity. I made that a must-have... because before, I didn't stress that. I used to say that as long as he was a good man who cared about me, the other stuff didn't matter.

And yet, THAT was almost always a factor in our breakup.

My FH is the first man to actually be more educated and accomplished than me (although I didn't require that), and I found that by aiming high, I got exactly what I wanted all along!

You know I would LOVE this right here. I want to pursue a Ph.D. but because I also want to get married and have children I am wary of that pursuit. But if I had a husband that encouraged my career or educational pursuits it would be AWESOME. But I need to aim higher, got it.

I also personally love the fact that you are in an interracial relationship. I have been told on countless occasion that I need to start doing this. I would love to (I am attracted to WM) and I know it opens my options but I just dont know how to go about it because WM generally dont approach BM.

Why do you do that?

Well, its probably not a good reason but its sort of a leveling tactic. I dont considered myself accomplished but blessed. And I am grateful for what I have so I dont boast. So its more a humble thing to say then anything. I recognized I worked hard to be here, but I am not proud in myself either.

You know I would LOVE this right here. I want to pursue a Ph.D. but because I also want to get married and have children I am wary of that pursuit. But if I had a husband that encouraged my career or educational pursuits it would be AWESOME. But I need to aim higher, got it.

I also personally love the fact that you are in an interracial relationship. I have been told on countless occasion that I need to start doing this. I would love to (I am attracted to WM) and I know it opens my options but I just dont know how to go about it because WM generally dont approach BM.

And you CAN have it... my FH has a Ph.D. and he has encouraged me to go for one, if I'm ever interested! He makes me wonder why I even bothered to put up with all those other dudes in the past! :)

As for the bolded... now see, this also has NOT been my experience. :)

But then again, when I have been approached by white men, it's because I'm where they are. I agree that a WM won't approach a BW on the street, but then again, WM usually don't approach women like that anyway.

How much do you socialize with non-black folks?

Well, its probably not a good reason but its sort of a leveling tactic. I dont considered myself accomplished but blessed. And I am grateful for what I have so I dont boast. So its more a humble thing to say then anything. I recognized I worked hard to be here, but I am not proud in myself either.

While I agree in not exhibiting a sinful sense of pride, you have every right to be proud of your accomplishments. You are blessed, true, but you also WORKED to get to where you are.

Don't get it twisted... you didn't get to where you are by accident or because God decided to bless you and not someone else... it's cool to be proud of what you've done!

...Do you think men are intimidated by successful women or people in general? Do you think men will be honest when asked this question? What do you do to encourage a men that its not a competition and you dont mind where he is right now (assuming he wont be 'here' forever)?...
IMO, Daniel nailed the answer to your question
..."Strong, aggressive, ambitious people intimidate weak, passive, lackadaisical people regardless of sex. They remind these people of the existential crisis that cause their current state of being," says Daniel, 25, a Web editor from Boston...
Many men have "fragile egos" :)barf:) and have a difficult time accepting that they aren't always going to be the "best" at everything. I REALLY appreciate, however, how Daniel made this about the individual instead of gender because I firmly believe that men who are secure with themselves are secure with others (and they ARE out there!!!! :yep:).

As for the rest of your question, if a man is insecure to begin with, I don't think there's much you can do to reassure him that you're not in competition because you aren't the real problem. Projection is VERY real and an insecure man will have made a laundry list of assumptions about you (even before you've opened your mouth to confirm or dispute them) and hold you to each and every last one of them. I don't think anyone should talk about themselves in a way that disregards others, but at the end of the day, it's on the individual, not other people, to address and resolve their insecurities.

And you CAN have it... my FH has a Ph.D. and he has encouraged me to go for one, if I'm ever interested! He makes me wonder why I even bothered to put up with all those other dudes in the past! :)

But then again, when I have been approached by white men, it's because I'm where they are. I agree that a WM won't approach a BW on the street, but then again, WM usually don't approach women like that anyway.

While I agree in not exhibiting a sinful sense of pride, you have every right to be proud of your accomplishments. You are blessed, true, but you also WORKED to get to where you are.

Don't get it twisted... you didn't get to where you are by accident or because God decided to bless you and not someone else... it's cool to be proud of what you've done!

Much to say about this:yep:, gotta run to a meeting:spinning:...I need some advice on this. Thanks Bunny. :grin:

...While I agree in not exhibiting a sinful sense of pride, you have every right to be proud of your accomplishments. You are blessed, true, but you also WORKED to get to where you are.

PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH!!! :amen: Not only are people who care about each other known to support each other, many even take pride in the other's accomplishments!!! :blush::blush::blush: We're in a sad state of affairs when men are made to feel that not only is it acceptable for them to be unsupportive and dismissive, but it's a woman's responsibility to accommodate their behavior. :nono:

Terrific responses. From personal experience, it really is about the individual and the way that your strength shines light on the insecurities. And the thing is, an insecure man will be insecure even if he is accomplished. Insecure people, even if accomplished, are still afraid that you might outshine them. Let them figure their own issues out.

Last edited:
:look:ITA. As sad as I was about not making the cheerleading squad earlier this year, I am extemely happy now that I think about it. I met my SO on a night where I would have been at practice instead of the grocery store where I met him. That hobby does not allow you to have a healthy realtionship with anyone unless you absolutely have nothing else going on in your life. Unfortunately for me I went to school, worked, and I was on the squad and had fulfill their requirements in order to remain on the team. My one good friend who is 32 and still on the squad complains about not being married and having kids yet. I was like honestly you need to quit the team and move on in your life, this organization is one of the big reasons why you are not where you want to be right now. You've been cheering for 10 seasons,and you cant meet anyone being at practice 20 hours a week in addition to working your full time job as a teacher. Something has to give.

Whew, that was long!

!
There in lies the problem. I do not hang around enough no blacks. I work about a predominately white and asian company but the black folks always gravitate to me. I am not exactly sure how to 'get' more white friends?

How do you friend white men go about approaching women (in general)?

I recently went to a training/graduation conference where there is about 600 young professionals from my company (leadership program). I always notice the black folks will tend to congregate. This time I purposefully hung out with the white folk 95% of the time. I know they talked about me and called me uppity or whatever but my family is black and I go to a large black church. I can hang with black people anytime.

And you know, I had the most fun ever and I even had a crush on the hottest white guy there:lick:. He flirted but it didnt go any further. I guess I need to expand my friend base.

:look:ITA. As sad as I was about not making the cheerleading squad earlier this year, I am extemely happy now that I think about it. I met my SO on a night where I would have been at practice instead of the grocery store where I met him. That hobby does not allow you to have a healthy realtionship with anyone unless you absolutely have nothing else going on in your life. Unfortunately for me I went to school, worked, and I was on the squad and had fulfill their requirements in order to remain on the team. My one good friend who is 32 and still on the squad complains about not being married and having kids yet. I was like honestly you need to quit the team and move on in your life, this organization is one of the big reasons why you are not where you want to be right now. You've been cheering for 10 seasons,and you cant meet anyone being at practice 20 hours a week in addition to working your full time job as a teacher. Something has to give.

WOW!!!!

Now this is something! I know how disappointed you were about not making the squad again (and you had every right to be), but look how it turned out in your favor... now you are exploring other life-related possibilities with your SO as well.

Remember that Nightline special with the gorgeous single black women? Didn't someone on this board say that all of them were Falcons cheerleaders? They were late 20s/early 30s as well. I know most NFL/NBA cheerleaders work full time and/or are students as well.

It's all about priorities. If cheerleading (or whatever) is what you (general you) want to do right now, then DO IT! :) But, if you are finding that other things are becoming more important to you, like marriage and family, then you have to put some things to the side.

I missed out on quite a few promo job opportunities last year and now to spend time with my sweetie. While I :cry: about the money I could be making, I'd also be :cry: about being alone with all this cash! :lol:

There in lies the problem. I do not hang around enough no blacks. I work about a predominately white and asian company but the black folks always gravitate to me. I am not exactly sure how to 'get' more white friends?

How do you friend white men go about approaching women (in general)?

I recently went to a training/graduation conference where there is about 600 young professionals from my company (leadership program). I always notice the black folks will tend to congregate. This time I purposefully hung out with the white folk 95% of the time. I know they talked about me and called me uppity or whatever but my family is black and I go to a large black church. I can hang with black people anytime.

And you know, I had the most fun ever and I even had a crush on the hottest white guy there:lick:. He flirted but it didnt go any further. I guess I need to expand my friend base.

Okay... so what I see here is not exactly what I was thinking, but good job in trying to branch out! :)

You need to do things completely separate from people or places that you already know, places where you will have to socialize just to meet people. Places where there might be like, two black people, if any at all.

I'm not saying to deliberately avoid black people, by the way! :nono: I'm saying that some activities you might try might be ones where you're the only black person, so there's not even an opportunity to automatically gravitate to the black people there.

Do you like to run? Even if you don't, join a running club. Why not go to a sports bar to watch the World Cup? You'll meet a lot of men from the countries still playing along with some American soccer fans.

Take a golf class... there's rich dudes there... :look:

So things like that are what I'm talking about... good luck! :D

Oh, and there's no special way that WM approach women. Just talk to them, smile, flirt, etc., Most smart men can catch the hint, and if they find that they want to get to know you more, they'll ask you out!

This thread has great advice. My SO encourages me all the time to further my education. He's def not intimidated at all. His ex is an MD and he always told me that although he was proud of her accomplishments her schedule as a resident was ridiculous and that he never saw her. He said he never complained because 1. he was busy with law school and 2. that's part of her educational duties and he accepted that, but he said after they ended it he refused to marry/settle down with someone that had that much job responsibility and lack of time. He said that was his first serious relationship but thats when he figured out he needed someone with a more flexible schedule.
So then here's me thats a nurse that has a lot of responsibility but I have days off :lol: He appreciates that.

I am sorry you didnt make it but hey you got yourself a man so WHOOP WHOOP!

I am finding that I do not care about the coporate climb as much as I want a husband. I dont have a specific timeline but before 30 would be nice.

There is the theory that love will just happen to you and you dont have to work to find it, it will come in time. I am finding this to be sooo untrue. If get so busy with life that you make time to place yourself at environments that will present opportunities for meeting people.

I have determine for this year to be about meeting men and getting to knnow people. I want to have fun. Next year (God willing), will be about finding someone I can build with.

Okay... so what I see here is not exactly what I was thinking, but good job in trying to branch out! :)

You need to do things completely separate from people or places that you already know, places where you will have to socialize just to meet people. Places where there might be like, two black people, if any at all.

I'm not saying to deliberately avoid black people, by the way! :nono: I'm saying that some activities you might try might be ones where you're the only black person, so there's not even an opportunity to automatically gravitate to the black people there.

Do you like to run? Even if you don't, join a running club. Why not go to a sports bar to watch the World Cup? You'll meet a lot of men from the countries still playing along with some American soccer fans.

Take a golf class... there's rich dudes there... :look:

So things like that are what I'm talking about... good luck! :D

Oh, and there's no special way that WM approach women. Just talk to them, smile, flirt, etc., Most smart men can catch the hint, and if they find that they want to get to know you more, they'll ask you out!

Well, I guess there is more to the story. There was less than 50 people there and the reason (main reason) I avoided them was because there is a particular black guy (attractive..ok...very sexy...and ambitious) that I am close with. The females were acting very funny toward me because of him so I said, "You know what? You guys can throw yourselves at him. I'll be over here." By the end of the conference, I still got the most attention and time from him. LOL, and I dont even want him like that.

Golf and sports bar sounds profitably. :grin: I'll look into that. I live in a very multicultural city so I can find places easy. :yep:Thanks.

IMO, Daniel nailed the answer to your question Many men have "fragile egos" :)barf:) and have a difficult time accepting that they aren't always going to be the "best" at everything. I REALLY appreciate, however, how Daniel made this about the individual instead of gender because I firmly believe that men who are secure with themselves are secure with others (and they ARE out there!!!! :yep:).

As for the rest of your question, if a man is insecure to begin with, I don't think there's much you can do to reassure him that you're not in competition because you aren't the real problem. Projection is VERY real and an insecure man will have made a laundry list of assumptions about you (even before you've opened your mouth to confirm or dispute them) and hold you to each and every last one of them. I don't think anyone should talk about themselves in a way that disregards others, but at the end of the day, it's on the individual, not other people, to address and resolve their insecurities.

^^^ita...! ^^
i'm getting real tired of articles that tell women they should feel responsible for the insecurities and issues of men. :mad:

where exactly, are the articles telling men to take responsibility for their feelings? or at the very least, an article that doesn't tell women (indirectly, directly or subtly) they should downplay who they are and what they've achieved? :perplexed

Last edited:
Just signed up for 5 golf lessons in July. Thank you Bunny!

Do you go to like a country club or something?

LOL, I just realized I am in eating in the wrong place as well. I realized alot of professional men eat at the subway and grocery across the street from my job for lunch. I guess I need to change my lunch menu now.

Do you go to like a country club or something?

LOL, I just realized I am in eating in the wrong place as well. I realized alot of professional men eat at the subway and grocery across the street from my job for lunch. I guess I need to change my lunch menu now.
I read Bunny's post and headed straight to Google and searched for golf lessons in my town. I clicked on a link to a course in a nice part of town and searched for lessons. I found a package of 5 lessons for $99. It was that simple.
I also suggest doing a search for young professional organizations in your city. Find one that doesn't have the words Black, Minority, Diverse, Asian, Latino, etc. attached to it. They usually have a mixer/happy hour at a nice bar & restaurant once a month. See when and where the next one is and attend. You are sure to find three things: 1) men with education and jobs 2) free appetizers 3) more white people than the law allows.

^^^ita...! ^^
i'm getting real tired of articles that tell women they should feel responsible for the insecurities and issues of men. :mad:

where exactly, are the articles telling men to take responsibility for their feelings? or at the very least, an article that doesn't tell women (indirectly, directly or subtly) they should downplay who they are and what they've achieved? :perplexed
THANK YOU!!! On one hand, your average person understands and respects the strain that emotional baggage can place on a relationship. On the other, women are being told to acknowledge, accept, and try to resolve their SO's issues (and a willingness to do this is often presented as a precursor to landing a SO) while men are able to whip out the 'ego card' and have all expectations of personal responsibility INSTANTLY removed. No grown person, male OR female, should be given a pass to project their insecurities onto ANYONE.

THANK YOU!!! On one hand, your average person understands and respects the strain that emotional baggage can place on a relationship. On the other, women are being told to acknowledge, accept, and try to resolve their SO's issues (and a willingness to do this is often presented as a precursor to landing a SO) while men are able to whip out the 'ego card' and have all expectations of personal responsibility INSTANTLY removed. No grown person, male OR female, should be given a pass to project their insecurities onto ANYONE.

A) This didn't start in adulthood. Women have been taught to nurture and support since childhood while men have been taught to compete and win.

B) Consider the source. This article wasn't written by a man, it was written by a women who starts out with wondering why her uber successful friend can't find a man...and trying to understand why.

That being said, it takes a special man to be able to look at his role as a provider beyond financial terms - "How am I provider if she out provides me financially 2:1?".

I read Bunny's post and headed straight to Google and searched for golf lessons in my town. I clicked on a link to a course in a nice part of town and searched for lessons. I found a package of 5 lessons for $99. It was that simple.
I also suggest doing a search for young professional organizations in your city. Find one that doesn't have the words Black, Minority, Diverse, Asian, Latino, etc. attached to it. They usually have a mixer/happy hour at a nice bar & restaurant once a month. See when and where the next one is and attend. You are sure to find three things: 1) men with education and jobs 2) free appetizers 3) more white people than the law allows.

LOL:lachen: @ bolded.

Back