DO NOT shop at this BSS in Tallahassee, FL!!

This is the C&T off Capital Circle in the new plaza on Apalachee Parkway about a 1/4 mile before you get to Wal-Mart. I noticed that the piece of reciept he gave me with the store's phone number says C&T, but the sign on the outside of the store say "City" unless I somehow read it wrong. I'm pretty sure it said "City."

I just checked the phone book and it is listed as City Beauty Supply. There is also a C&T Beauty Supply listed off of Crawfordville Road, but I am not familiar with that store or where it is located. I guess they could be owned by the same person, but I'm not sure.

ETA: In the first sentence I meant this is the City Beauty Supply off Capital Circle...
Oh okay, the one I was talking about is off of Capital Circle NW, off of TN St. I will pass this info on though...

I contacted the police chief I know and a friend of mine that is an attorney. They both said that to have a solid case for slander the situation must have affected me financially or damaged my reputation in some way that would affect my livelihood or ability to financially support myself of or my family. He said that if they had actually contacted the police and filed a report accusing me of stealing then I could definitely sue them for slander and libel or if the false accusation caused me to lose my job or something similar then I could also sue them. He felt I took all the appropriate steps. I told them about the complaint with the BBB which they agreed was a good idea. I received my ocnfirmation email back from the BBB this morning and the next step is for them to contact the business to get a response from them. I'll definitely share what they have to say as soon as they respond.

HJ, I am sorry for your experience. I am here in Tallahassee as well. This may sound hoity toity but I don't shop at BSS any more. Now I go to Trade Secret primarily, or I buy Aveda products from the salon I go to. The service is MUCH better. I rarely buy products full price. I wait until Christmas when they have the sets for $20, and then 50% off (so you get a full size salon brand poo, con and styling product for $10). Honestly, it comes out to what you'd pay for a BSS product. Plus you get rewards and double points for shopping on Tuesdays so I have already earned 2 $20 certificates. They also run monthly specials, sometimes 40% off of a particular line or BOGO 50% off.

Occasionally I'll go to Sally's but I just can't do the BSS anymore. Your experience confirms it.

I'm with Butterfly. I only go to the BSS for my wigs, lol... But for everything else, its Sally or Trade Secret. I wish I could open my own BSS though..

Funny thing is I just went to Sally's before I went there, but wanted to see if they carried any silk elements products for cheaper. Needless to say I never got to look and will stay my butt at sally's from now on.

I used to look for cheaper alternatives at local BSS stores. I ended up with some watered down Hawaiian Silky. It's not worth it to shop for products in BSS stores if you ask me. Now I shop at Sally's, Trade Secret, Ulta, Amazon, etc...

I'm sorry this happened to you!

Just hold your head up because you did nothing wrong.

I contacted the police chief I know and a friend of mine that is an attorney. They both said that to have a solid case for slander the situation must have affected me financially or damaged my reputation in some way that would affect my livelihood or ability to financially support myself of or my family. He said that if they had actually contacted the police and filed a report accusing me of stealing then I could definitely sue them for slander and libel or if the false accusation caused me to lose my job or something similar then I could also sue them. He felt I took all the appropriate steps. I told them about the complaint with the BBB which they agreed was a good idea. I received my ocnfirmation email back from the BBB this morning and the next step is for them to contact the business to get a response from them. I'll definitely share what they have to say as soon as they respond.

I think the law is too strict in this case. And isn't Obama introducing legislation against profiling? This is such a serious issue. Civil liberties...humpf...if it keeps me from taking care of my head, nails, skins...because I'm traumatized somebody will accuse me of stealing....that's the "money" right there. I hope something changes for sure.

HJ, I am sorry for your experience. I am here in Tallahassee as well. This may sound hoity toity but I don't shop at BSS any more. Now I go to Trade Secret primarily, or I buy Aveda products from the salon I go to. The service is MUCH better. I rarely buy products full price. I wait until Christmas when they have the sets for $20, and then 50% off (so you get a full size salon brand poo, con and styling product for $10). Honestly, it comes out to what you'd pay for a BSS product. Plus you get rewards and double points for shopping on Tuesdays so I have already earned 2 $20 certificates. They also run monthly specials, sometimes 40% off of a particular line or BOGO 50% off.

Occasionally I'll go to Sally's but I just can't do the BSS anymore. Your experience confirms it.

Thanks for the info on Trade Secret. I've purchased from them before, but payed full price. I didn't know about their discounts and such. I'll have to visit them on my next trip to the mall to see what they have. Pre-LHCF I purchased some Aveda products, but honestly I wasn't taking care of my hiar to really see the value of what their products can do. They'll be on my research list too.

They would be hearing from my lawyer; and I'd be slapping a Slander or Defamation of Character charge on them faster than they can say "I'm sorry." I hope that place is worth a lot. It might be yours if you sue them.

I get followed in our local Sally beauty supply. I think I need to report it formally. I shop there often. Many people do. But that doesn't matter....if I wish to purchase something, I'll go in and purchase it. These are White ladies working there. THis time, I pulled this woman from the cash register to go with me to find x-products because I had seen them previously and just now decided to get them after the others weren't to my liking. They don't have the products I want now. Still, they are all following me.

What I cannot stand is that people will follow your color based upon their prejudices...and act as though they are not guilty of this. Is this thing lack of emotional intelligence or what? I just cannot believe it. I think that the next time I go there (it's close, gas prices etc.) I will tell them what I feel about them following me. I do not appreciate it at all.

And another thing, if i consistently pay with my credit card...don't they think they could call the police and identify me? They could pull the record from the register. I just do not comprehend...but I'm thinking of telling somebody to not follow me next time. You did the right thing by filing a police report.

Money talks. Not only would I not shop there, but I would write the store directly and tell them why. I would also write Sally Beauty. One letter to Customer Service, the other to their Legal Department.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

@the bolded. They are correct. Suing for slander/deformation of character isn't that simple, a chain of events must occur for a successful settlement.

Thanks for the info on Trade Secret. I've purchased from them before, but payed full price. I didn't know about their discounts and such. I'll have to visit them on my next trip to the mall to see what they have. Pre-LHCF I purchased some Aveda products, but honestly I wasn't taking care of my hiar to really see the value of what their products can do. They'll be on my research list too.

I take advantage of Trade Secret sales too. Definitely check them out. Prices are great.

I agree with Butterfly08, I am in the Tallahassee too and only shop at BSS when getting hair for braids, other than that I stick to Trade Secret and Sally's also.

Back