Do Natural Hair Women Get Hit On?

I've never kept a tally of of the # of heads I turn or the # of men who try to hit on me, but I do know it's always been a constant whether I'm relaxed or natural, and its always been short. I don't think it's about the length or the texture, it's about the woman rocking it.

I think across the board women really shouldn't equate their attractiveness to how often you get hit on. Getting hit on doesn't mean that you are pretty and not getting hit on doesn't mean you are ugly. in a group of women, the woman who gets hit on the most may not be prettiest woman in that group, she is the one that looks the most approachable or the most receptive. The prettiest women often may not get hit on a lot because men may feel intimidated and unless that woman gives a man a flirty smile or makes enough eye contact, he probably won't approach her because he feels most likely he'll be rejected.

This. There's a lid for every pot, and there are some dudes that will hit on anything that has a vajayjay.

Maybe some dudes don't want to hit on some of these "prettier" ones cause he's thinking she's cute but damn she seems like a stuck up witch with a B and who feels like dealing with that?

I know PLENTY of women natural, not natural, that don't fit into this cookie cutter mold of pretty but they are holding their own.

I can't believe this is even a question. :lol:

Of course women with natural hair get hit on. However, no one can say with certainty how much the hair part plays into that, except the man doing the "hitting on". :lol:

There are so many variables to male-female attraction, I don't even understand why someone would attempt to delve into this topic.

I skimmed the OP too, so I hope I'm on topic. That guy's language was atrocious. :nono:

Why don't you ask them which woman they would approach first:

2006-afro-curls.jpg

jessica-white.jpg

Don't know how I missed this post. Judging from the looks my male coworkers give women, the woman with the biggest butt and biggest :) will get chosen first (biggest breasts for my Caucasion coworkers).

I didn't have a problem either way (natural or relaxed). I remember the day I did my 1st BC, I was so nervous. I went to the grocery store and got approached by a guy, so that eased my feelings right there lol.

I have found that now that my hair has gotten longer/bigger, more men seem to be amazed by it and compliment me on it a lot.

I've found that I get hit on more with "textured" hair over straight hair. Meaning anything big and curly, crinkly, crimped, etc. Even when I was relaxed the textured styles got more love. *shrugs*

All of my friends with natural hair get hit on. Some have gotten new boyfriends and become engaged since going natural. And that's here in Houston, Texas. I get hit on whether I wear a braidout, bone straight hair, a fake Afro puff, or a bun.

I went on a vacation with some friends in Florida and one kept complaining that she wasn't getting hit on due to her natural hair, but I saw other women with natural hair pulling right and left - many with TWAs and my friend's hair is rather long.

I find this thread hilarious based on the number of, "I get hit on just the same relaxed or natural" responses. Not saying that those responses are not true but lets be real... I do not need to poll the majority of men to know what they like. Just look at the majority of mens magazines. Can any of you name one 4b natural who is considered a sex symbol????

Then as a member since 2006 I've seen so many threads like:

My husband hates my natural hair...
My SO/DH doesn't find me attractive since I BC'd...
My SO wants me to relax...
I don't feel as attractive after my BC...
Taking XZY made my texture looser YAY...

I do agree length makes a huge difference but I am not going to sit here and pretend that most men would prefer Halle Berry with a 4b TWA vs Halle Berry with a relaxed pixie cut.

LMAO @ this whole entire thread.....hell, I'm glad I'm married and ain't gotta worry about the shyte.

ETA, I freakin' love the article...:look:

Carry on....

Last edited:
I get approached equally often weather pressed or worn in a natural style. I take pride in my hair and all but I have no illusions about the fact that men usually are not staring at my hair as they approach me:lol:

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF

I find this thread hilarious based on the number of, "I get hit on just the same relaxed or natural" responses. Not saying that those responses are not true but lets be real... I do not need to poll the majority of men to know what they like. Just look at the majority of mens magazines. Can any of you name one 4b natural who is considered a sex symbol????

I do agree length makes a huge difference but I am not going to sit here and pretend that most men would prefer Halle Berry with a 4b TWA vs Halle Berry with a relaxed pixie cut.

I totally see what you're saying, but you don't have to discredit other people's responses for not falling along the "woe is me, I can't get a man because of my natural hair" type responses. If someone notices the same amount of attention post-BC that they got pre-BC, then that's their personal experience. The question in the title is "Do natural haired women get hit on," to which natural haired women responded with THEIR personal experiences.

And for the record, not every man prefers relaxed hair. As long as it looks good and well kept, some men just want that. Not all, of course, but there are men out there who love natural hair more than relaxed.

I totally see what you're saying, but you don't have to discredit other people's responses for not falling along the "woe is me, I can't get a man because of my natural hair" type responses. If someone notices the same amount of attention post-BC that they got pre-BC, then that's their personal experience. The question in the title is "Do natural haired women get hit on," to which natural haired women responded with THEIR personal experiences.

And for the record, not every man prefers relaxed hair. As long as it looks good and well kept, some men just want that. Not all, of course, but there are men out there who love natural hair more than relaxed.

I am not sure how I was discrediting anyone's post. I was simply responding to those who are trying to indicate that men really have no preference when it comes to hair.

I am going to assume that the bold is not directed towards me because I am well aware of this. My ex was one of those men, he supported me through my first transition and was disappointed when I relaxed after two months. I am sure there are plenty more out there.

I find it hilarious how some people are basically discrediting some natural's experience. If they say they get hit on the same or more with natural hair, who are you to say it isn't true? WTH is in it for you?

IMO its more about the whole package unless he guy has a hangup about hair. Either way it doesn't bother me.

I get approached equally often weather pressed or worn in a natural style. I take pride in my hair and all but I have no illusions about the fact that men usually are not staring at my hair as they approach me:lol:

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF
I completely agree!..I have confidence no matter what style i'm in, even when my hair is wrapped up, cuz I will find a way to make it look cute..if we're talking about men of colour, my experience has been that i'm approached because of my body or body/face combination...this is not a good thing, because those men have only one thing on their mind..how to get in!!!:nono:....but nonetheless it helps to have some brains as well.. having more to offer is what seems to be what keeps men coming and really wanting to stick around.I agree with you Aviah, the complete package or the closest thing they can get to it.:ohwell:

Last edited:

Can you name how many women who actually LOOK even close to the women in men's magazines? If those images are going to predict if a guy is going to hit on you..I guess we should all go buy a vibrator..

This thread is hilarious.

1. I love SBM but I wouldn't take the guys that write those blogs too seriously. They purposely try to come up with topics to ruffle feathers and spark debate.

2. I thought men were shallow. I swear the women on this board are more shallow than any man I've ever met. I guess its par for the course considering the content of this forum. At any rate, yes I, a natural woman with a TWA, still gets hit on by men. Go figure... In fact, I have men come up to me to compliment my hair... my SHORT NATURAL TWA. I must be an anomaly.

3. I agree that one's attractiveness, style and confidence plays a role.

this is a funny thread.

i get more attention from women (oohing and ahhing) at my my length and thickness now than ever before. as for men, they will compliment me and when they do it is in a respectful and cordial manner (i.e. your hair looks regal, your hairstyle is quite beautiful). men never mentioned my hair before but rather my physique (i.e. "yo, slim!).

as my hair has grown out the difference seems to be different. i get more attention with longer natural hair than i did with shorter natural hair. then again, i think longer hair suits me so it might just be that my overall features are enhanced by hair that frames my face.

This thread is hilarious.

1. I love SBM but I wouldn't take the guys that write those blogs too seriously. They purposely try to come up with topics to ruffle feathers and spark debate.

2. I thought men were shallow. I swear the women on this board are more shallow than any man I've ever met. I guess its par for the course considering the content of this forum. At any rate, yes I, a natural woman with a TWA, still gets hit on by men. Go figure... In fact, I have men come up to me to compliment my hair... my SHORT NATURAL TWA. I must be an anomaly.

3. I agree that one's attractiveness, style and confidence plays a role.

I swear people forget that the OP is from SBM.

Can you name how many women who actually LOOK even close to the women in men's magazines? If those images are going to predict if a guy is going to hit on you..I guess we should all go buy a vibrator..

This is true, very true, but heck the women in men's magazines don't even look like that for real! LOL! :lachen:Body by Photoshop, face by Mac! Let's keep it 100, if all of us here had a personal trainer, a chef, a makeup artist, a professional hair stylist, and a bomb graphic designer to airbrush off the cellulite we missed while doing squats, and if we had spanx to hold everything in place and give us "perfect" hourglass figures then we would all be centerfold material!

I watch the guys looking at those magazines and I think to myself, "You think she looks good huh? Wait til she snatch off the front lace and take off them spanx!!!" LOL :grin: I gotta go! LOL

I've been getting much more attention as a natural. I realized early on that it was probably because I appeared more reserved when I was relaxed. I would never wear my APL hair done or in a ponytail. It was always pinned up or in a bun. Half the time, I was sporting glasses on top of that.

Now I usually rock twist outs, coils, double strand twists, a puff w/ baby hair, etc. Men don't seem to approach me with more respect (unfortunately). I still get the "Hey baby" or "Wsup? Can I talk to you for a sec?" and that hissing sound some West-Indian men make that sounds like they're literally calling a cat. I don't show off a lot of my body but usually run errands in fitted or skinny jeans and a tunic or hoodie.

The only man I've encountered so far (stranger-wise) that acknowledged my natural hair was a security guard with dreadlocks who referred to me as "Miss Natty" while he held the door open for me. I was rocking yarn braids at the time. I was more caught off guard and annoyed than anything. I could see where he was coming from (kinda like, "Hey, you're just like me.") but I found it to be inappropriate for him to speak that way to a stranger in a public/proffesional place (the bank).

All in all, I do get approached more because I get NOTICED more. Unfortunately, the type of men who approach me or the manner in which they approach me hasn't changed since going natural.

Eh Mens magazines aren't such a great reference IMHO. Most are focusing on sex pretty much(unless it's an upscale type magazine). And almost always have a woman in something short and skimpy. It's rare I see a woman without a donk,big boobs, and fully covered on there. I think the focus when women are featured on covers of some Men's magazines is purely for eyecandy alone. While yes I agree, All you see the relaxed and weaved up on them, they are often half naked. So to me looking at a men's magazine to determine the hair type that majority of men prefer is not so much it. Like I said that's just me.

All I'ma say is this

1.) If a woman believes the reason she's not getting hit on by men is soley basedon the texture of her hair,I need her to stop, regroup, and have a talk with someone with some damn sense. It takes more then your hair texture to get a man to approach you. Quite franky, if came equipped with Tits,a vagina, and a butt they will look..

2.) Personally, yes I have been "hit on" more as a Natural. When I was relaxed, I got attention, but not necessarily "hit on" it was more so commentary ,usually the "is it a weave, is it your's, this is all you" ...type stuff (i'm from the land of hard wraps,sew ins, itty bitty ponys, jagged edges and chewed ends). However I attribute this completely to the fact that I wasn't nearly as confident then (relaxed) as I am now (natural), which had nothing to do with my hair but me coming into myself.

Last edited:
Reading this thread has me cracking up :lachen:

*Best body and prettiest face or a balance between the two. Please believe you can't run around here looking like whoopi goldberg but you have the body of Meagan Good and think you're going to get chose.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty I've seen plenty of girls/women who some wouldn't consider to have the best aesthetics get plenty of attention because of their body. Plenty of these women are married as well.

The chick with the best body gets the guy not the chick with the straightest hair.

In my personal experience .....I agree...

I think across the board women really shouldn't equate their attractiveness to how often you get hit on. Getting hit on doesn't mean that you are pretty and not getting hit on doesn't mean you are ugly. in a group of women, the woman who gets hit on the most may not be prettiest woman in that group, she is the one that looks the most approachable or the most receptive. The prettiest women often may not get hit on a lot because men may feel intimidated and unless that woman gives a man a flirty smile or makes enough eye contact, he probably won't approach her because he feels most likely he'll be rejected.

You make a lot of since :yep:

If you go to a club and no one hits on you, count your blessings, because it may mean that you look like a lady! If you go to a club and every dude is buying you drinks, you probably look like a slut. (Be honest) It's not cuz you look like your conversation would be interesting. #kanyeshrug :ohwell

Sorry but this is true. In my clubbing days it's the 1/2 dressed ladies that get the most attention. It didn't matter whether the hair is real, fake, natural or relaxed. Most men in a club are just looking for a quick hookup not a serious relationship.

All in all I don't think it is that serious. If you know your worth and love yourself in time a man that appreciates those characteristics will find you.

As many have stated, wearing my hair natural really hasn't changed me being hit on, I do think it's changed how people approach me, for the better.

I do think however that there is a bias toward straight hair, just because that is what men are accustomed to and the image perpetuated in the media. My fiancé loves my natural hair, but still goes gaga when I straighten it.

I actually wrote a blog about it a little while back, here's a link if you're interested http://stephainc.blogspot.com/2011/03/natural-hair-and-perceived.html

Last edited:

I don't Hollywood is the best place to look to figure out what real men prefer. Half of people producing these images and styling women aren't even interested in women.

Plus, not enough women in Hollywood wear natural hair for us to judge....and also, Halle's natural hair texture isn't a 4B, anyway.

Back