Divorce and Re-marry the same person?

MissScarlett

Has anyone ever done this? And why would you? I'm just curious.

Apparently this happens alot or rather I hear about it alot. My cousin and his wife got divoriced, he married someone else had a kid with that wife, then miraculously wanted his 1st wife back, they got married again and had two more kids. They were apart for like 3 years. Someone I used to work with got divorced, I saw her a few weeks ago and she said she's "getting married back to her ex-dh" I was like WTF?

I've heard about people doing that.

I think it makes sense - they invested a lot of time and effort into that person, maybe they have children together, they know what they get, they know the families etc.

They realized the grass isn't always greener LOL

I've heard about people doing that.

I think it makes sense - they invested a lot of time and effort into that person, maybe they have children together, they know what they get, they know the families etc.

They realized the grass isn't always greener LOL

Yeah... I can totally see it. Unless one of them is being gullible, I don't see anything wrong with it.

My step-mom did that with her first hubby. I guess they were trying to make it work. Clearly it didn't though, because they divorced one another and have each remarried. So, my dad is her 2nd (and current) husband, but this is her 3rd marriage/wedding.
From what I understand, the same things that were issues the first time they were married, became issues again on the 2nd go-round.

My girlfriend did that. They got married...then divorced...got married again...their divorce (2nd divorce) was finalized last year.:look: Some folks should just leave well enough alone!:wallbash:

I've known two couples that did it. One split after the death of a child, then got back together, and ultimately split again.

The other couple did it every year for "tax purposes".....then one year dude suggested that they not remarry.........

hmm. I guess the lesson is that it's not a good idea.

My cousin is considering marrying her "ex" again. What was the purpose of divorcing him then? :huh: While they were apart she had a baby with a man that's not in the childs life at all now. Her ex has stepped up and started to help raise the baby along with the two that they have together. I wish them the best but they have broken up and gotten back together so many times that I know how this story will end. :violin:

My cousin is considering marrying her "ex" again. What was the purpose of divorcing him then? :huh: While they were apart she had a baby with a man that's not in the childs life at all now. Her ex has stepped up and started to help raise the baby along with the two that they have together. I wish them the best but they have broken up and gotten back together so many times that I know how this story will end. :violin:

It's amazing, we never know how life is going to turn out. :nono:

I'll never say never, because I have gone back to an ex when I said I never would. But, no, exes are exes for a reason. Luckily I learned this lesson without having to exhange rings.

Why make the same mistake twice?

I have and ex fiancee like this. We are both married to other people and we have remained friendly but every couple of months he would start calling me and e-mailing me this crazy ish about us geting back together if we were ever both single again. Just makes me work even harder on my marriage because I'd never want to be with 'ole dude again. Too much drama.

I think a lot of people do this out of fear and they just go back to what is familiar - bad idea in most cases.

I think you should really be checking yourself if you start feeling the urge to reconcile with an ex. Do what Dr. Phil calls a "post-mortem" on your relationship and be really honest about the problems that led to the divorce. If you can both work through this stuff, fine. How will you actively create a better rel'p this time? What will each of you commit to doing differently? If you can't do the work, then move on and stop reminiscing about something that is dead.

my SO's best friend did this. married his son's mama... had another son with her... she cheated so they got separated... got back together... she cheated again and got pregnant with the other guy's daughter... they divorced... he got called into the ministry... they remarried. :spinning:

I know I put a lot into my relationships & I have put up with A LOT in relationships so if I divorce you there is no way I will ever go back.

my SO's best friend did this. married his son's mama... had another son with her... she cheated so they got separated... got back together... she cheated again and got pregnant with the other guy's daughter... they divorced... he got called into the ministry... they remarried. :spinning:

WOW! :laugh:

My uncle did this. My aunt was tired of his cheating ways and divorced him. She then decided she didn't wanna raise 3 kids alone, and he wouldn't visit them (:nono:), so they re-married. Of course they ended up divorcing, and he's been married twice since then. He married a woman a few years ago, divorced her before the year was up, and is now married to the woman he cheated on my aunt, and the woman after my aunt, with. :rolleyes:

WOW! :laugh:

My uncle did this. My aunt was tired of his cheating ways and divorced him. She then decided she didn't wanna raise 3 kids alone, and he wouldn't visit them (:nono:), so they re-married. Of course they ended up divorcing, and he's been married twice since then. He married a woman a few years ago, divorced her before the year was up, and is now married to the woman he cheated on my aunt, and the woman after my aunt, with. :rolleyes:

I can barely keep up. :perplexed

I don't know any couples who have divorced and remarried. :nono:

It doesn't really surprise me. I took a marriage and family class and we read about these studies that showed that several people (not all) in second marriages realize in retrospect that

1.they could've fixed the first marriage - the problem wasn't irreconcilable or they gave up too soon
2. they falsely believed the 1st marriage ended because they married the wrong person or the problem was with the other person, only to find the problem is something wrong with them, or something that can be wrong in any relationship.

Back