Did you and SO meet online? How long beforey you met in person?

Mooney72

How long did you have a text/phone/Skype, etc. relationship before you were able to meet for the first time?
Anyone have a very disappointing first meeting?

He messaged me on Monday, I gave him my phone number that same day, we had a phone convo on Tuesday, went on our first date Saturday. We have now been married for a year afer dating a year and a half (including our engagement). My advice is to meet in person as soon as possible, so you can really get a feel for that person.

I met my SO on OkCupid. I had my eye on his profile for a couple days and saw that he kept viewing mine. I waited until he messaged me and we went back and forth for a couple days. We set a date before exchanging numbers. There was no phone conversation.....I hate talking on the phone. We texted a bit before our first date.

First date was awesome. By far the best I've ever had. It was like we'd known each other for years! It's been almost 6 months now and I know he's "the one." I guess OkCupid was right when it said we were 99.3% compatible. The only thing that differs is our taste in beer!

I think from our first message online to our first date was 4 or 5 days.

Sent from my iPad mini mini.

I met my SO on blackpeoplemeet.com After texting, talking for about 3 weeks we finally met up in Florida (I lived in NY, he lived in FL) -- after our first date the rest was history. Been dating almost 3 years and plan on getting married soon. Pretty sure we would've met sooner if we lived in the same state.

Met my husband on blackpeoplemeet after two weeks. Engaged at nine months and married at two years. Don't waste a lot of time talking to someone without meeting them. It builds an attachment that may be useless if you meet them in person and you're not totally attracted to them.

ETA: I did a lot of what I call "drive by" dates. Which were like 30 minute coffee grabs to meet the guys in person to get that first in person meeting out of the way.

Last edited:
Met my husband on blackpeoplemeet after two weeks. Engaged at nine months and married at two years. Don't waste a lot of time talking to someone without meeting them. It builds an attachment that may be useless if you meet them in person and you're not totally attracted to them.

ETA: I did a lot of what I call "drive by" dates. Which were like 30 minute coffee grabs to meet the guys in person to get that first in person meeting out of the way.

Nice! I met a dude once on there who was willing & ready to marry in like 1month. That freaked me out so I canceled my account. o_O

Yup met on POF. It was about two weeks before we met. It was a quickie date. We had plans for our "real" date later in the week but we couldn't wait.
Going on nine months and we are crazy in love.

He discovered me on POF almost two years ago, this December. We chatted, talked, and all of that. I was not interested at all. I kept giving him the runaround, ignoring him and coming up with excuses not to meet him. He had every reason to move on to the next, but he refused to give up. Six weeks after he discovered me online, we finally met. We've been inseparable ever since our first date.

Talked for a week. Went on a date by that Saturday. We're exclusive after he asked me numerous times after three weeks. Been together 1.5 years. Beautiful relationship. Engaged now. Marrying early 2015. Hit the ball running. Keep your standards. Be you and have fun!!

Met mine in a Facebook group Oct/Nov last year, and chatted and became platonic friends up until I met him in July and we hit it off then. We started dating shortly after.

Met on okcupid. He winked and I winked back...I guess that gave him the courage to message me. We talked on the phone for about a week and a half and he was the one who kept pushing for us to meet. I was content on taking my sweet time!

Had our first date within 2 weeks and it lasted about 8 hours. Met up again a week later ...and the week after and made it official a week after that. That was close to 3 years ago.

We are now engaged and getting married in August. Time flies!

Me and my guy met online! I read all his questions and he didn't read any of mine! I was his first experience with online dating and I hope he's my last, cuz I had a terrible time with it before him.

We met up maybe 3 days later? Became official 3 weeks after that. Personally, i think online dating is a mixed bag. You get the same pool of decent or lame guys, but it's easier to cut to the chase i think.

3 years lol.

He liked me and wanted to meet me years ago but I wasn't feeling him quite as much. I went to go meet another guy and ended up in a relationship.

Still kept in contact with SO here and there as friends and said hi on facebook etc....

Met in 2011 when we were both single and the sparks flew.:lol:

Apart from that I have had a disappointing meeting with one dude that I found REALLY interesting online. When we met there was just nothing and I wanted to go home lol.

Met Dh online (yahoo messenger) 2 months before we met in person! We talked on phone, sent emails (texting was not popular then). Wasn't disappointed @all when we finally met. He looked better in person. Married with 5 beautiful kids for 10yrs after 1yr of dating and 3 months of engagement. Glad I took the risk. No Regrets!! #Blessed

Last edited:
Thanks for the great responses so far ladies!

So my own story:

I met a man through Reddit 20 days ago. I'm in Georgia and he's in Oklahoma. We had one aborted attempt at meeting due to his client needing him. He own an IT company and is a programmer, so he has contracts with several businesses in his city.
Our plan now is to meet the first weekend of November and he'll fly here to see me.

This is my first time meeting someone online and wanting to take the next step of IRL meeting. I have made it clear (in a non-pressured way) that I don't want to be in a drawn out texting/phone relationship where we don't meet IRL and he agrees with that. We talk every day for hours and those talks include discussions on how and when to close the distance gap between us. It would seem that he has an easier time moving here due to his being able to work from anywhere there's an internet connection.

We're very compatible in almost every way. We're both tech geeks, animal lovers, child-free, from Louisiana, love to travel, etc.
I will come back in here and update after we've met and let you know how it went and whether or not we move to the next level.

he messaged me on OKC and i think we met about a week later. maybe less. for me, that was a long time.:lol: one time a guy messaged me and we went out the next day. they were all surprised at how quickly i agreed to meet in person.

i liked to meet the guys asap. the longer we chat/message/text/email the less interested i become. why waste time? we're either going to be compatible or we're not. most likely not but lets just confirm, eat good food and get it out of the way.:lol:

I met my SO online when I was in middle school. We did instant messaging for months before phone calls. Then we added phone conversations and video chats over the next 4 years. We didn't start talking daily until year 3. In total, I didn't meet him until after 5 years from when we first found each other online.

ETA: It's been 12 years since we've first met each other online and we've been dating/engaged for the last 7 years. Getting married Aug 2014 on the same date we first met in real life.

Last edited:
SO saw me around campus (I never noticed him). He searched for me on MySpace and messaged me. We talked for a couple weeks before meeting up in person. We've been together ever since. 7 years now.

Last edited:
Back