Deep Conditioners: Have you found the "one"?

Yeah, I have to agree with you on this. This is the closest I've come. And it's good...but for the life of me, I cannot understand why my hair likes it when this is the list of ingrediants:

INGREDIENTS: Water Aqua , Stearyl Alcohol , Glyceryl Stearate , Mineral Oil , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Cholesterol , Lanolin , Propylene Glycol , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Fragrance Parfum , Disodiium EDTA , FD&C Yellow No. 5 CI No. 19140 , FD&C Yellow No. 6 CI No. 15985 , FD&C Red No. 40 CI No. 16035 , D&C Red No. 33 CI No. 17200

I've noticed my hair prefers natural products in other areas. So why then, is this working for me in terms of DC?

To be honest, I don't know what 95% of those ingredients are, but I love Queen Helene because it does strengthen and moisturize my hair like nobody's business. I also think I like the fact that it is an old school brand so I feel a bit nostalgic when I am using it cuz me and Queenie go way back!

My absolute favorites for deep conditioning are:

Motions CPR
Joico Moisture Recovery Balm
Alter Ego Garlic Treatment

I couldn't even begin to count how many I tried before (and after). I do like variety, though, and have others that I will swing into rotation.

I have 4 that I really really love:
kbb hair mask
oyin honey hemp
Aveda damage remedy treatment
afroveda ashlii Amala red raspberry deep conditioning mask

Where do you guys buy the Elasta QP DPR 11? I had wanted to try that one next, but I couldn't find it anywhere in person, and do try not to order online because of shipping and all that....

The Verifen Complex product line -- I made the right decision on the first try. I used this line every two weeks consistently for ten years, and their Advanced Conditioning Treatment is my "holy grail."

Five years ago, my stylist recommended a secondary set of hair care products which work fine and gives me the same results for a lot less.

I have to admit because of this hair care forum, I've been trying other products--which I keep in rotation. Here are some other conditioners I highly recommend.

(1) Motions Moisture Plus (tub version)
(2) Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment
(3) NTM Daily Deep
(4) NTM Hair Mask
(5) Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor
(6) Le Kair Cholesterol
(7) Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
(8) Aubrey Organics GPB
(9) Suave Professional Humectant

I add oil to these but not to the Verifen Complex conditioner. I have some more, but I have to give them a second try before I recommend them.

Last edited:
Joico Intense Hydrator and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque. I'm really loving the latter; it softens my 4a/4b hair.

Where do you guys buy the Elasta QP DPR 11? I had wanted to try that one next, but I couldn't find it anywhere in person, and do try not to order online because of shipping and all that....

I got mine at the local BSS - Where are you located? If anything try Ebay, just look for cheap shipping.

yeah... Silk Elements. But now it's being discontinued in the UK :( It's a good thing I stocked up good until I can find a replacement.

ORS Replenishing Conditioner BABY ALL....THE....WAY!....the only downside is that it has cones....

When I get a cone-free DC I like I'm sticking with that...however..I am in no rush to change conditioners right now...

My hair is in love with Kenra moisture line and Joico Kpak.

I keep that Joico Kpak in ROTATION for real...! Its great if I need a lil protein since its a mild protein conditioner....OR I'll mix it with the VO5! I buy the BIG containers too! I am using it all summer cause I have braids and my hair does great with it when I am on a weave break!I also keep the VO5 (Strawberries and Creme and the Pomegranate and Grapeseed oil...) in rotation..both are cone-free...so I use these as a co-wash or keep it on like 30 minutes for a DC...so I don't use up my ORS...!

I am officially in love with silicon mix and skala. Once I use up AO HSR and SE hair mayo. I think this will be what I use more exclusively, unless I love SE hair mayo..then I'll add that in there also.

Hi where do you get the Alter Ego Garlic from ... thanksok

Okay, I admit: I'm Fickle....My Love Changes like The Weather! And I love Several all at the same time.:love2:

Right now my affections are for::cloud9:

Joico Moisture Recovery, Hairveda Sitrinillah, Alter Ego Garlic, SSI Banana Brulee.:lovedrool:

I am about to introduce Jessicurl WDT into my current rotation (next wash day) and I know I will fall in love with that one too.:love3:

Yes... I'm a Playa':sekret:

Next week, It'll be someone else........:laugh:

Hi where do you get the Alter Ego Garlic from ... thanksok

You can order it from Amazon.com.

I have also purchased this product and other Alter Ego products from iBeautyNY.com. They have a large selection. The Alter Ego Cren is good for shedding.

I have always loved Lustrasilk DC's. I tried others, and even got teased in college when my friends saw I was using "the cheap stuff", so I switched it up. I have been excited about other DC's (Elasta QP and Motions) but I keep coming back to Lustrasilk.

I'm afraid I would fall in love with some of the more expensive ones, so to protect mypocket-book, I don't even try them. :look:

Lustrasilk Shea Butter, mango + cholesterol is it for me. I've been using it for about a year. I would like to try Nexxus HUmectress though but it cant be a staple because i pay $72 for it compared to $20. for the Lustrasilk. They both have ceramides so its on!

I brought this the other day based on recommendations, here is how I used it. I was able to find the one in a squeeze container for 2.49 on 125th st (BSS (bottom shelf back across from the Dominican products, the BSS nearest Verizon)

1 -2 oz homemade Cathy Howse protein conditioner ( 4oz Millscreek Biotin Conditioner, 2 oz EVOO, 1 oz EVCO, I make a large batch and put in a seperate container, but these measurements I use)
1 oz cap Jerry redding veggie protein
2 tsp -1 TBSP Wheat Germ Oil
Lutrasilk Shea butter...(enough to thicken up the first 3 in the list)

put in color applicater bottle and applied left on 20 min (NO HEAT)

when rinsed hair was it felt soft and slightly oily, but it felt creamy instead of slick. When it dried t was so soft and smooth and the oil was almost non existant). I am 13 weeks post and this mixture made my NG and Kitchen area more managable than what I was doing before, I look like I am 8 weeks post because the NG is tamed. I AM IN LOVE this will be my go to for protein 1x a month.

I use a mild protein (jerry redding veg protein mixed with Ion effective care treatment (Intensive Therapy...) every other week but I tried something different this time, Deep conditioning (it does not work for me). NO more of that I will stick to what works.

This brought my hair back to life. I cant stop touching my hair. By the way I am LYE relaxed (Mizani BB)

After reading TAZ007's Fotki about the use of ceramides I tried it and I am very happy I did.

Last edited:
Besides Motions CPR (didn't have enough to apply in my whole head), I haven't tried any new DCs in a while. I still haven't finished my stash of Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Puree Hair Masque & Garnier Fructis. While I like these too, my hair feels more moisturized with the plain ol' cholesterol (yellow one). When I use Chol. before a blow dry, my hair feels/seems plump and juicy even when dry! I added a coconut oil (some special coconut oil from the pacific isles- forget the name) I bought YEARS ago when I first started my hair care journey, and liked it. Sometimes I might add my whipped shea butter.

I guess the hair wants, what the hair wants...

I've decided to DC every week as I did when I first started my journey but realized that hoping in and out of the shower X2 has held me back. So, on lazy weeks I DC on dry hair and will make sure to DC on wet hair at least once a month. When I DC on dry hair I apply a wet hot towel on the shower cap and just chiiiiiiiiiiiiiillll...

I've also committed to doing a protein treatment every 6-8 weeks and a light protein treatment as needed in between (or every 2 weeks).

I've also added Roux regurlarly into my heir diet.

I promised to use the tension method to straighten and braid more regularly but haven't done so yet...

Sorry for the long post ladies...

In Support of Queen Helene, bow do her!

:love:nexxus humectress:love:

I've always loved this DC...however after my aphogee tx this weekend, the condish that comes with still left my hair hard. A co wash with this and my hair was like buttah(and smells good too)... Btw i'm transitioning and it does both my textures amazing!!! Now...Onto find a good PS that doesn't kill me.....

aussie 3 min miracle with SAA added in (does that count as DC?)
also pantine RN masque also with SAA added in

Back