Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

I think you may be right!
In the past, I rinsed my hair everyday and maybe condition washed it here and there and shampooed it once per week.
After rinsing, I would put some type of conditioner, whether an oil or cream, twist my hair up and go.
When I got it pressed, oh my, it was past my shoulders!
Now I'm back to rinsing/condition washing it everday as I'm working out again but now I'm putting evoo and coconut oil afterwards b/f twisting/braiding...so we'll see how long it is over the next few months

Re: Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

how do you do a conditioner wash? Also, does anyone here air dry their hair? I've done it once but it dries to a bush..lol..how can I do it better? Thanks!

water and washing every day would kill my hair, i know it. my hair would be mad at me if i did that to it
rofl.gif

i've just started washing twice a week. once with shampoo and once with just conditioner. hopefully i'll see good results

What about you all who suffer from allergies/head colds/chronic sinus drips? Do the frequent washings make them worse?

Am starting too just wet my hair in the shower everyday add some grease or castor oil and leave it alone, am going too try this for a while

[ QUOTE ]
bimbabe said:
What about you all who suffer from allergies/head colds/chronic sinus drips? Do the frequent washings make them worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes my head and sinuses feel a lot better. The steam opens me up. It's such a great feeling, I could do an Herbal Essense commercial.

I did the Herbal commerical in my bathroom....
My dad didn't take to kindly to me doing that....

[ QUOTE ]
divine said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pradalover said:
[ QUOTE ]
divine said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

Ladies I have a question. I like the idea of frequent washing and have even began doing so. And what you all are saying makes sense, but I relax and it seems that frequent washing would make your new growth more apparent in a shorter amount of time. How do I know that I'm not 'washing out my relaxer' (so to speak) versus experiencing growth. I don't want after 2 weeks for my hair to look like I need to relax again. Especially when I wear my protective bun my naps are screaming in the back. What can I do?

[ QUOTE ]
TBird said:
Ladies I have a question. I like the idea of frequent washing and have even began doing so. And what you all are saying makes sense, but I relax and it seems that frequent washing would make your new growth more apparent in a shorter amount of time. How do I know that I'm not 'washing out my relaxer' (so to speak) versus experiencing growth. I don't want after 2 weeks for my hair to look like I need to relax again. Especially when I wear my protective bun my naps are screaming in the back. What can I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Ive wondered this before too. That why I did not try the daily washing challenge...

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
TBird said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Ive wondered this before too. That why I did not try the daily washing challenge...

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that a relaxer actually changes the composition of the hair strands... molecular bonds in the hair are rearranged. I don't think that you could "wash" out the relaxer. I do know what you mean about the hair not remaining "straight", so to speak. Maybe reversion occurs because the hair hasn't been relaxed bone straight, which in itself can be a good thing... I'm hoping someone can suggest a way for you to deal with this...
smile.gif

i didn't read all of the replies so i hope im not about to repeat anything...
i like the idea of having clean fresh hair everyday, but i have never had a relaxer, and i don't wear my hair in it's natural state. this would mean i would have to apply heat to my hair every day(which i don't do now) could this daily washing be bad for someone like me?

nesha24 said:
i didn't read all of the replies so i hope im not about to repeat anything...
i like the idea of having clean fresh hair everyday, but i have never had a relaxer, and i don't wear my hair in it's natural state. this would mean i would have to apply heat to my hair every day(which i don't do now) could this daily washing be bad for someone like me?

I don't think that would be good for someone like you. If you wore your hair in it's natural state, then that would be fine but your hair would eventually start to break off from the excessive use of heat if you washed and pressed everyday.

I may actually have to buy a digital camera to show y'all somethings...my hair has been growing like a freaking weed since I committed to daily washing a year ago. I'm thinking about continuing transitioning for 2 years instead of just 1 year since I believe I may be close to having BS length natural hair already in that time, if this growth keeps up. Oh yeah and amazingly, I have not gotten a cold yet this winter (knocking on wood) despite daily morning washing in New England weather, and I work in a hospital (germ city :D ). I just make sure to wash my hands frequently and double up on the O.J....

Also what helped compliment my growth and retain my length was finding the right comb and brush for my hair type....switching over from a 3-in-1 comb to a Kcutter, and from a regular boar bristle brush to a denman made a big difference for my hair, and handling it very gently as wet hair is very fragile. I agree with the other posters you have to go through trial and error to see what works for you. Daily washing may work well for some but not for others, hope this helps someone out :yep:

BLESSED1 said:
I may actually have to buy a digital camera to show y'all somethings...my hair has been growing like a freaking weed since I committed to daily washing a year ago. I'm thinking about continuing transitioning for 2 years instead of just 1 year since I believe I may be close to having BS length natural hair already in that time, if this growth keeps up. Oh yeah and amazingly, I have not gotten a cold yet this winter (knocking on wood) despite daily morning washing in New England weather, and I work in a hospital (germ city :D ). I just make sure to wash my hands frequently and double up on the O.J....

Also what helped compliment my growth and retain my length was finding the right comb and brush for my hair type....switching over from a 3-in-1 comb to a Kcutter, and from a regular boar bristle brush to a denman made a big difference for my hair, and handling it very gently as wet hair is very fragile. I agree with the other posters you have to go through trial and error to see what works for you. Daily washing may work well for some but not for others, hope this helps someone out :yep:
]

What shampoo do you use? For those that wash every day (especially the naturals) do you use the "no poo" cleansers or regular ones with sls, etc.?

RushGirl said:
Do you still use shampoo at all??
For teh past 3 weeks, i haven't. I use either a clarifying conditioner or light conditioner like V05 free me freesia for my first wash then follow with humectress. I do an ACV rinse every 2 weeks

Dolapo said:
For teh past 3 weeks, i haven't. I use either a clarifying conditioner or light conditioner like V05 free me freesia for my first wash then follow with humectress. I do an ACV rinse every 2 weeks

Sounds good.. How do you like not using poo so far? Are you going to continue with that or go back to using poo once in a while?

1) What is your favorite conditioner to use for daily con-poos? Why?
2) How often do you deep condition each week? What do you use?
3) How much growth did you see on a monthly basis?
4) Can you outline your complete con-poo routine...for what hair type...natural, relaxed, texturized.

RushGirl said:
Sounds good.. How do you like not using poo so far? Are you going to continue with that or go back to using poo once in a while?

I'm liking so far and the only thing im scared of is buildup which is why i use a clarifying conditioner sometimes and clarify with ACV rinses. I'll wait and see for a few months and if it stops working for me, i'll go back to shampooing

Dolapo said:
I'm liking so far and the only thing im scared of is buildup which is why i use a clarifying conditioner sometimes and clarify with ACV rinses. I'll wait and see for a few months and if it stops working for me, i'll go back to shampooing

Sounds good.. that's what I do.. use a clarifying conditioner... do you use products with cones??

i think i have some products that have cones in them but i dont take silicones seriously because i believe as long as you clarify, one shouldn't have a problem. Whaddaya think?

PhonyBaloney500 said:
]

What shampoo do you use? For those that wash every day (especially the naturals) do you use the "no poo" cleansers or regular ones with sls, etc.?

I use BreakThru anti-breakage system fortifying moisturizing shampoo once a week, I looked into the curly girl method but it wouldn't be best for me since I use gel everyday. My shampoo doesn't leave my hair dry, as I only shampoo my scalp, but I only 'poo wash once a week, I CW the other 6 days....

Dolapo said:
i think i have some products that have cones in them but i dont take silicones seriously because i believe as long as you clarify, one shouldn't have a problem. Whaddaya think?

Hmm.. yes and no..I think.. I can't remember exactly what gets rid of what..but there are some silicones that only certain cleansers can take away..does that make sense?? I posted something about it.. a while ago..Let me see if I can find it.. when I do..I'll bump it up.. okay...

Back