Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

ive been doing DW for 2 weeks now and plan on doing so till early may...im hoping for some good results...i shampoo once a week and the other 6 days i either cw or just wet my hair.....i wear my hair in a ponytail everyday and spray with a leave in, braid spray and some hot six oil.....and surge and apply s8 and glovers to my edges.....at night i put s8 and glovers on my scalp and rinse the next morning. Ill be doing this for 11more weeks and maybe ill retain more :)

still going strong....but like anything else what works for one may not work for another. When I was relaxed I didn't see any extraordinary results with daily CW but then again that's just the effect it had on my hair.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Are there any more updates on this? I am worried that this would dry my hair out.

I can't say yet, I've only been doing it about two weeks (and it's not everyday but more like every other day as my schedule allows.) But I too thought it would dry my hair out as it is naturally dry...not at all. In fact, quite the opposite. My hair has a naturally rough feel because of the texture so it's been hard to tell but one tell tale sign has been the significant reduction in breakage!

I follow up my 'daily' wash w/a leave in treatment and my newly betrothed ORS Olive Oil (the one in the Jar, the lotion was too light for my hair). My hair hasn't been this healthy in a very long time.

ive been doing it for a month now ad my hair is not dry at all! but actually feels very moisturized...i usually just spray some braid spray hot six oil, grease my scalp every night and im fine...

I'm just jumping on the bandwagon of daily co-washes. I'm still trying to figure this out. I start with a 15 minute oil treatment cause my hair seems to really respond well to it. Because I use the oil I put a plastic cap and then a foil cap on top for extra heat. I try only to use the dry 2x/week. I then rinse and follow with 2 con-poos of VO5, then deep condition for an hour. I've been faithful to this for the last 2 weeks. My hair has stopped shedding.

Now, I'm confused after that part. When do you use protein...light protein...heavy protein??? How often??? What's the difference between daily rinsing and co-washing??? I thought that using shampoo daily was too drying to the hair.

LoriLOCX said:
Now, I'm confused after that part. When do you use protein...light protein...heavy protein??? How often???
Examples...
light protein: Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum, Aubrey Organics GPB
heavy protein: Aphogee Treatment
*it might be best to do a search in titles only on protein b/c I don't know a lot about protein treatments* ;)
how often: most ladies use here use protein treatments every 4-6 weeks. some may use a light protein treatment more often.
What's the difference between daily rinsing and co-washing??? I thought that using shampoo daily was too drying to the hair.
daily rinsing is just rinsing your hair with water and some ladies here uses rinses like the ACV rinse. Co-washing is washing your hair with a conditioner like Suave, VO5, etc. I think using shampoo daily would be drying but that may work for some and not others.

Hope that helps! :)

I have never washed everyday...I used to wash (w/shampoo & cond) every 2 days, but that was before I got my color touched up...I don't want to stip it out, so I do two CO washes a week (on Mon and Wed or Sun and Tue) and shampoo and condition on Fri.

When I used to wash that often, my mom used to tell me I was "stripping out my relaxer." You can't strip out a relaxer by washing too much because a relaxer breaks down the bonds of the hair, straightening it. My hair was growing so fast I was relaxing every 5 weeks, something unheard of for me. I used to wait an avg of 8-10 wks. I've recently stopped washing so much bcuz of the color, and I'm stretching my relaxers way past 5 weeks.

Jewell said:
I've recently stopped washing so much bcuz of the color, and I'm stretching my relaxers way past 5 weeks.
:scratchch Hmmm... if you have color-treated relaxed hair, should you avoid this daily washing deal??? Is that why washing my hair more often caused stress on my hair in the past???

I'm not sure PoohBear...I have my roots retouched with a no ammonia/no peroxide somewhat "all natural" powder permanent hair color, and I refresh the rest of the hair with a semi-permanent...which makes the frequent washing more likely for my color to fade a little. I guess its just what my hair does. My hair is light brown, but I color it "oriental black," which is darker than jet black. I've done this for a couple years now...I will never switch permanent hair colors (back to one with ammonia/peroxide). (I use Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color in # 59 (Oriental Black)).

Poohbear said:
Examples...
light protein: Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum, Aubrey Organics GPB
heavy protein: Aphogee Treatment
*it might be best to do a search in titles only on protein b/c I don't know a lot about protein treatments* ;)
how often: most ladies use here use protein treatments every 4-6 weeks. some may use a light protein treatment more often.

daily rinsing is just rinsing your hair with water and some ladies here uses rinses like the ACV rinse. Co-washing is washing your hair with a conditioner like Suave, VO5, etc. I think using shampoo daily would be drying but that may work for some and not others.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks Poohbear!!!
Just to update you.....I've been co-washing for almost 4 weeks now. I'm loving it. I do it daily. I think my hair strands are actually starting to look thicker...as if they're swelling up with water/moisture. The hair is definitely becoming stronger,,,,,,and A LOT less breakage and sheeding going on!!!!

LoriLOCX said:
Thanks Poohbear!!!
Just to update you.....I've been co-washing for almost 4 weeks now. I'm loving it. I do it daily. I think my hair strands are actually starting to look thicker...as if they're swelling up with water/moisture. The hair is definitely becoming stronger,,,,,,and A LOT less breakage and sheeding going on!!!!
thats great! i notice less breakage and shedding with co-washes too! best wishes to u and your hair! ;)

Jewell said:
I'm not sure PoohBear...I have my roots retouched with a no ammonia/no peroxide somewhat "all natural" powder permanent hair color, and I refresh the rest of the hair with a semi-permanent...which makes the frequent washing more likely for my color to fade a little. I guess its just what my hair does. My hair is light brown, but I color it "oriental black," which is darker than jet black. I've done this for a couple years now...I will never switch permanent hair colors (back to one with ammonia/peroxide). (I use Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color in # 59 (Oriental Black)).
Oh okay. I had my hair permanent colored brown then I permanent colored it blue black. I will probably just co-wash every 2-3 days. thanks for your explanation!

Summer's going to be here before we know it. Anybody doing this still? Anybody doing it this summer?? With working out, this seems like a very viable option...

I think I may try it I need to get the length back that my hairdresser just cut off. How do you think it would work if I conditioner washed and wrapped it to airdry????

brownrelaxedhair said:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Armyqt said:
I generally rinse my hair about every 2 days. Sometimes everyday, depending on workouts.
smile.gif
Oh and the S-Curl is a must
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this!! That s-curl has been a major help in retaining moisture and therefore length.

I too must say that daily washing and s-curl have contributed to my growth, not to mention all of the vitamins I take, ( I plan to cut back to Biotin, Msm, silica, alfalfa, and flaxseed oil)

It's been working for me!!!! I just started daily washing almost a month ago now. I have never seen my hair respond to any other routine as it has to this. While I know that what works for one may not neccessarily work for another, this has been a miracle discovery for my hair. It is NEVER dry, and I have found the need for frequent deep conditioning has diminished to an as needed basis. When I see a lil breakage I just use a light Keratin conditioner, and I'm good to go!!!! I apply NTM Silk touch leave in, seal with a serumn and Voila!!! BTW, My scalp loves this too. Keeping my scalp clean and exfoliated is , I think anyway, one of the two main benefits of daily washing.... (For me anyway).... Oh well, just had to respond.....

I am daily washing strong again. I stopped for a while when I bleached my hair out, but now that I am going natural and wearing a fall, I wash (rinse) and condition my hair daily, shampoo weekly. My hair is growing fast and is nappy as all hell.

The quick weaves and wigs are great for this kind of thing. I wash it in the shower every morning, load it up with conditioner when I get out, comb it out gently, comb it back, pin it up in the back and put the 3/4 fall on with a head band.

I am really getting tired of wearing a head band. The fall didn't come with it, but I've been wearing it because there is a definite texture difference in my hair and the fall, so I'm investigating some other options. I want to do a weave, but that will interfere with my daily washing routine.

I do have color on my ends it has grown out about 3 inches from my scalp do you think this will effect my color, as in breaking, I did one last night a CW that is and my hair feels good I didn't have any strands in the comb I wrapped it and let it are dry. I used Humectress (nexxus conditioner with olive oil and biotin mixture added) rinsed then I put lacio lacio, Soft Sheen finishing mist, and setting lotion on it then I wrapped it up. We will see I think I will do it every other day!!!!

sweetpeadst said:
I do have color on my ends it has grown out about 3 inches from my scalp do you think this will effect my color, as in breaking, I did one last night a CW that is and my hair feels good I didn't have any strands in the comb I wrapped it and let it are dry. I used Humectress (nexxus conditioner with olive oil and biotin mixture added) rinsed then I put lacio lacio, Soft Sheen finishing mist, and setting lotion on it then I wrapped it up. We will see I think I will do it every other day!!!!

Hello sweetpeadst, I have color treated hair and I have not seen any breakage from daily washing my colored hair. Are you concerned about losing the trueness of the color, or about stress on the hair? Also, how you wash your hair has alot to do with wether or not daily washing is stressing, or helpful to your hair's health and growth..... I found that I do not need more than one lather... Oh and do you have a rinse, or a dye? That might make a difference in wether or not your color fades from washing daily.... HTH!!! ;)

I would like to try this too. But how would you oil your scalp??? I mean it would be a waste of money if you pile on all these products (like leave-in, oil, etc) then rinse this out everyday. Will the scalp ever get nourished? Or should I do a hot oil treatment every week? Sorry for all the questions.

sugaplum said:
I would like to try this too. But how would you oil your scalp??? I mean it would be a waste of money if you pile on all these products (like leave-in, oil, etc) then rinse this out everyday. Will the scalp ever get nourished? Or should I do a hot oil treatment every week? Sorry for all the questions.

Hey Suga!! Not sure if your question was directed at me, but I'll take the liberty to tell you what my experience is.... I do not oil my scalp. (Actually I have not oiled my scalp since I was a child and my mom had to practically tie me down to do it. I have heard that applying oil to your scalp actually clogs the pores, and prevents the natural sebum that your scalp produces from running down the hair shaft.) As for the leave in's and the like being rinsed out daily, I've found that since I started this, buildup accumulates much faster on my hair, so it's almost neccessary now.... All in all tho, I like what it's doing for my hair, so the cost of products is a small price to pay for the health of my hair. If you are not sure how your hair will respond to this, how 'bout trying every other day??? That's actually how I ended up daily washing.... Oh well, I hope that once you do try it, that it will do for you what it's doing for me. As far as the scalp getting nourished; While in the shower and applying my conditioner, I take extra care to massage my scalp with my fingerpads.... This stimulates bloodflow to my scalp.... If you find thta your scalp is too dry, try incorporating your hot oil treatment into your routine at least once a week! Also, when the scalp is clean and unclogged, it's able to produce more sebum, and distribute it down the shaft more readily! I better quit before I write a novel.... Anyhoo, hope that sheds a lil light on your query... Just my two lil cents, but this has been my experience, and my girfriend's too! :)

championgurl said:
Hey Suga!! Not sure if your question was directed at me, but I'll take the liberty to tell you what my experience is.... I do not oil my scalp. (Actually I have not oiled my scalp since I was a child and my mom had to practically tie me down to do it. I have heard that applying oil to your scalp actually clogs the pores, and prevents the natural sebum that your scalp produces from running down the hair shaft.) As for the leave in's and the like being rinsed out daily, I've found that since I started this, buildup accumulates much faster on my hair, so it's almost neccessary now.... All in all tho, I like what it's doing for my hair, so the cost of products is a small price to pay for the health of my hair. If you are not sure how your hair will respond to this, how 'bout trying every other day??? That's actually how I ended up daily washing.... Oh well, I hope that once you do try it, that it will do for you what it's doing for me. As far as the scalp getting nourished; While in the shower and applying my conditioner, I take extra care to massage my scalp with my fingerpads.... This stimulates bloodflow to my scalp.... If you find thta your scalp is too dry, try incorporating your hot oil treatment into your routine at least once a week! Also, when the scalp is clean and unclogged, it's able to produce more sebum, and distribute it down the shaft more readily! I better quit before I write a novel.... Anyhoo, hope that sheds a lil light on your query... Just my two lil cents, but this has been my experience, and my girfriend's too! :)

WOW. This is very informative. Thanks I'll try this starting tonight. Thanks for the info. :kiss: I was sooo confused. What products do you use? Do you have a regimine? :)

sugaplum said:
WOW. This is very informative. Thanks I'll try this starting tonight. Thanks for the info. :kiss: I was sooo confused. What products do you use? Do you have a regimine? :)

Hey Suga! Well I don't know if I'd quite call it a regime per se, because I like to K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Sista!!! :lol: Don't mind me girl, just a lil giddy tonite....

Well for products:
1) Herbal Essences Replenishing Shampoo for Colored/Permed/Dry Damaged hair, Clarify with A*G Renew Clarifying Poo.
2) NTM DDC, Aphogee 2min reconstructor
3) NTM Silk Touch Leave In
4) Salon Mode shine serum (doubles as a sealant) Trynna find the NTM serum around these parts....
5) Still have but hardly use the UBH DC, Dew & Creme Moisturiser.

Hmmmm :think: Think that's about it.....

Now for the routine????
Just wash daily, con with NTM DDC, apply NTM Silk Touch Leave In while damp (lightly), Apply a lil mo' NTM Leave in again to dry hair ( especially if I'm gonna style w/heat once hair is dry), Apply serum to ends while still damp to lock in moisture!!!!!
Tha's about it...... Hair is NEVER dry or brittle, HARDLY see breakage, and the NTM DDC makes my hair a BREEZE to comb thru when it's on my hair. BTW, the serum on my ends is what I think allows me to airdry w/o breakage and swelling.... Also minimizes shrinkage!!!! Can't wait to try the NTM Serum.... (limited availability where I'm at :perplexed )
ANYHOOOOO, you might have to tweak it a lil, and make some adjustments to suit your hair needs.... But by all means, Good Luck with it!!!!!

~ :kiss: , Champion.

championgurl said:
Hello sweetpeadst, I have color treated hair and I have not seen any breakage from daily washing my colored hair. Are you concerned about losing the trueness of the color, or about stress on the hair? Also, how you wash your hair has alot to do with wether or not daily washing is stressing, or helpful to your hair's health and growth..... I found that I do not need more than one lather... Oh and do you have a rinse, or a dye? That might make a difference in wether or not your color fades from washing daily.... HTH!!! ;)

You are good at this. I have full head of color but it faded so on top I have a rinse (due to the fact that reds fade the fastest) I guess I need to by a serum because my hair swells. Well how do you style your hair I am wrapping it!!! I CW last night I think I am going to do it again b/c I went to step practice and sweated something fierce. I used Humectress and left it on while I showered then I rinsed. Towel dryyed put lacio lacio, soft sheen finishing mist, and WGO on scalp (I don't need to do this step????) and setting lotion then wrapped it did pretty good!

sweetpeadst said:
You are good at this. I have full head of color but it faded so on top I have a rinse (due to the fact that reds fade the fastest) I guess I need to by a serum because my hair swells. Well how do you style your hair I am wrapping it!!! I CW last night I think I am going to do it again b/c I went to step practice and sweated something fierce. I used Humectress and left it on while I showered then I rinsed. Towel dryyed put lacio lacio, soft sheen finishing mist, and WGO on scalp (I don't need to do this step????) and setting lotion then wrapped it did pretty good!

Hey Sweet,
One thing I noticed that might affect your seeing the truest results of this method, is that you towel dry your hair. For me, in order to avoid swelling and tangling from airdrying, I need to jsut blot the hair slightly, apply NTM once it's no longer dripping, just about damp, and then apply some serum. If I'm gonna heat style I save the serum for last b/c I know Imma need some more NTM once it's dry. It kinda acts like a heat protectant too.... Then seal wit serum.... As for styling, I just wear it out, or secure it with a bobby pin.... What I love about adding the serum is that it keeps my hair looking wet, so that's basically my style for the day..... If you have dry scalp, I can see why you might need some extra oil, but I would go for the weekly hot oil treatment over daily oiling... But again, if you haven't had any discrepancies with this b4, don't stop! Your hair looks great as it is now! But if you wanna try the hot oil method, why not do the hot oil, and then skip a day of washing???? Dunno, taking a stab in the dark here ;) I don't wrap b/c I still have outdoor movements to make soon after I wash, but I'll try this on a day when I wash at night..... :D Well, I think that's about it... As you may knwo by now, I'm very long winded. Just wanna be thorough, Hey I figure if you are asking me something, I don't wanna leave anything out!!! Oh, yeah, and if you have a red rinse, it might rinse out sooner than what I have, it's black. But if you like the results from this, and your rinse is safe enough to do every few weeks, then, what the hey? Go for it.
Good luck girl! Do let me know how it's going for you.
I don't know everything about this yet, but as I go along I will happily share my experiences with ya!!! :kiss:

Well thanks champ I decided to just wrap it tonight no CW for me I will do a wash tomorrow (wash day). YOur information is very helpful though I don't care if the color rinses out as long as my hair is growing I guess I will get some serum tomorrow (I was trying to wait to see if my NTM would come in the mail- sweepstakes)

Back