Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

Re: Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

[ QUOTE ]
My hair is so dry, What am I doing wrong?
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly are you doing?

Please, please dont shampoo every day!

Depending on what products you use after you leave the shower will depend on if you simply rinse or condition wash.

I use a leave in conditioner after leaving the shower so I simply rinse my hair and gently massage my scalp every evening.

If you don't use a heavy leave in conditioner then it would be best to do a conditioning wash.

Do you see the pattern? Wet the scalp and hair yes but you NEED conditioner in your hair, wheather it be applied while you wash or after. Our hair depends on the conditoner.

Thinking of it, perhaps to be on the safe side use a conditioner every evening after you douce your hair with water.

so why isnt this called daily rinsing? i am confused as to how you shouldnt used shampoo everyday? so is just wetting the scalp and the hair what is helping? if so then do you need to do this in the shower or can you just spritz your hair and scalp daily with say distilled water and then apply a leave in or whatever? and then maybe do a regular wash. i am trying to understand because it seems like people have different methods of doing this which can be confusing to people trying to this themselves and trying to figure out which method is the best for the health of the hair and to increase hair growth.
smile.gif
God bless you all.

You are gonna have to find what works for you. Like I said....I do a combination(depending on my hair at the moment) of everything you just asked about. The only consistent thing for me(personally) is distilled water and a leave in...
Soooo... I may or may not shampoo, or just rinse, or just mist, or conditioner wash only... it's what works for you...you may have to experiment to find out what works for you...just like using products...there is no sure fire method that is gonnna work for everyone...not even the same hair types(too many other outside elements in each person's enviorment) to add to the mix. It's just water... not permament...if a method it doesn't work for you than stop and try an different method or stick to what you're doing if it works.

Re: Daily Washing: (SweetC&JazzAngel)

Sweetcoca and JazzAngel, will y'all break this down for me?

What is a conditioner wash? Am I understanding you correctly: you 1st do a hot oil treatment, then rinse with the distilled water, then put conditioner on the hair daily, and then shampoo/condition on the weekends?

Re: Steps for Conditioner Washing

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetcoca and JazzAngel, will y'all break this down for me?

What is a conditioner wash? Am I understanding you correctly: you 1st do a hot oil treatment, then rinse with the distilled water, then put conditioner on the hair daily, and then shampoo/condition on the weekends?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you don't mind me answering. I love conditioner washes and I do mine based on the Curly Girl book, here is a thread that outlines the steps. I've been doing them 10 months straight now and love them!
grin.gif
Conditioner Wash

Als from her book:

Step one:

Stand under the shower as if you're standing under a waterfall, don't touch your hair yet. Let the water cascade through your curls in the way they fall naturally.

Step 2:

Take some conditioner, it can be a regular or leave-in as long as it's reach in emolliants and humectants. (then see the link above for the scrubbing method)....Now let the shower spray wash through your entire head, rinsing out whatever your fingers have loosend. Your scalp is clean now. Still worried about sweat and other buildup? Remember that sweat and sebum are sterile. But they do attract bacteria if left on too long. However, FRICTION is a time tested method of cleaning.

Step 3

Now rub a blob of conditioner (*you will be able to figure out how much conditioner to use based on your hair's length and thickness) between your hands and smooth the conditioner on the other layer of your hair. Work another half teaspoon under the hair at the nape of your neck, the spot most prone to tangle and knots. Using your fingers to comb, gently comb through your hair from underneath removing any loose hairs.

Step 4:

Spread another half teaspoon of conditioner through the hair at each side of your head using your fingers as a comb. The point is to evenly distribute the conditioner through your curls so they don't fuse with each other. When you rinse, rinse to let the shower spray distribute the conditoner without removing all of it **

For wavy haired girls she does recommend doing a modified version of the CG routine and using shampoo. Since the 4b's are the Wavies of the 4's if the no-poo didn't work, it might be worth it to try the modified version.

Keep in mind: The curly girl routine does not advicate any other styling product but Gel. So if someone is using any heavy greases, or moisturizers (like Pink Oil for example) they may need shampoo to remove all of that.

<font color="blue">* I don't follow the 1/2 teaspoon thing, and the book does say that you will know how much conditioner you need for your hair, so experiment with the amount that works for you. The more consistant I became, the less conditioner I had to use for the same results. </font>

<font color="blue">** This is also up to you. I tend to remove most of the conditioner depending on the type that I have used. </font>

It's long because I went and got the book and typed it for ya!
wink.gif

I agree with Sweetcocoa, you gotta find out how to make the system work for you. I know that when I have braids, I will be using a clarifying shampoo for the first wash to remove the braid chemicals.

The secret to daily washing is that you have to use a non-clarifying shampoo, a shampoo that does not have the clensing agents SLS or "SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, and SLES or "SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE which will be drying to your hair.

hahahaha...that's funny faith. Yes I remember you as Swttng?

BTW: Your hair is looking good girl! Keep doing whatcha' doin'!

Take care,
AZ

Tara,

Thanks for that in depth explanation. Hmmm...may try this for the summer..

I love your Title....
rofl.gif

I so know how too many long braids can darn near snap a sista's neck off if you're not careful.

AZ

[ QUOTE ]
Tara,

Thanks for that in depth explanation. Hmmm...may try this for the summer..

I love your Title....
rofl.gif

I so know how too many long braids can darn near snap a sista's neck off if you're not careful.

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Aint that the truth? You know, I decided to get long braids and when I wash my hair, girrrrl, MY NECK MY BACK
grin.gif
grin.gif
Luckily it hasn't hurt my hair but...next time, shorter for sure
grin.gif

Add my "name" to the list of those who stopped rinsing daily, but have gone back to it since reading this thread.

When I first went natural, I wore my hair in a shake. Every morning, I rinsed and conditioned, and shampooed once a week. My hair grew like crazy, but I attributed that to the lack of chemicals, not the water.

Eventually I got tired of that style, plus I longed to return to nightly showers - so in wearing different styles, I stopped rinsing daily. Thanks to so many for helping me connect the dots, and realize the role water played in my growth. I've already gone back to the morning shake routine, but this time I'll try the no-poo method too, and see if it makes a difference.

Rock on, y'all!
bath2.gif

Well, just giving you guys an update. So far the daily rinsing is working for me.
smile.gif
First I started out by using the AA Pantene as a conditioning wash, then decided on some days to spritz my hair with a mixture of two floral waters... rose and ylang-ylang. I am loving this. I follow it with light oils. At first when I started this method, my 4a/4b hair would feel hard, but I find that when I coat the hair with the Nexxus Humectress as a leave-in, it makes the hair soft. I top that with hair oil, CD Khoret Amen, to be exact or the Profectiv's new 2 (or is it 3)phase anti-breakage oil. This seems to be working very well. It then goes back in a bun.... I'll keep you posted. You can understand that I have tons of new growth because my last texturizing relaxer was March 10, exactly 11 weeks ago. I'm holding off on the relaxer until around June 23.... We'll see
wink.gif

Thanks girl
smile.gif

Are you still doing the tour this summer? Enjoy yourself. I'm off tomorrow for Ghana. Have a great summer.
grin.gif

About three years ago I was wahing my hair every other day becauase I was a total gym rat. My hair ws very healthy and grew like wild. Conditioning was vital along with the frequent shampooing. What I need to know is how do you ladies deal with or avoid excessive tangles?
confused.gif
No matter how gently I handle my hair when wet it always gets so tangled.
Also does using a no-lye relaxer cause the hair to tangle more?? All answers will be appreciated.

Daily washing is wonderful for my hair but daily shampooing is major destruction for my hair. My hair dries out so easily when it gets shampooed especially around the time I'm supposed to get a perm (i can't believe it's been almost three or four months now). I was going to try and grow it out but it's too hard to handle, I have to get a touch up.

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetcocoa::You are gonna have to find what works for you. Like I said....I do a combination(depending on my hair at the moment) of everything you just asked about. The only consistent thing for me(personally) is distilled water and a leave in...
Soooo... I may or may not shampoo, or just rinse, or just mist, or conditioner wash only... it's what works for you...you may have to experiment to find out what works for you...just like using products...there is no sure fire method that is gonnna work for everyone...not even the same hair types(too many other outside elements in each person's enviorment) to add to the mix. It's just water... not permament...if a method it doesn't work for you than stop and try an different method or stick to what you're doing if it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I do, except the distilled water. I may shampoo or do a condition "wash", or do a hot oil treatment then shampoo out or I may "condition" it out. I may rinse with water in the morning or I may spritz with water/glycerin/Elucence Moisture Balancing Cond. It all depends on what I think my hair needs at the time. However, I do not normally shampoo more than a couple of times per month.

How many natural 4 ab are doing the daily washing or wetting of the hair?, I am trying but still coming up dry, I dont poo any more, I use condition, How about just wetting the hair in the shower is that enough? I see that most of you r relaxed, When some of you say your hair grow lot when you wet it daily, where you relaxed then, Thanks
smile.gif

i tried doing daily washes and i only lasted 3 days; i just couldn't handle wet hair everyday. i know that the moisture was good for my hair, but i was losing more hair trying to comb it up into a bun. and i used a detangler...

[ QUOTE ]
How many natural 4 ab are doing the daily washing or wetting of the hair?, I am trying but still coming up dry, I dont poo any more, I use condition, How about just wetting the hair in the shower is that enough? I see that most of you r relaxed, When some of you say your hair grow lot when you wet it daily, where you relaxed then, Thanks
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Happylocks what kind of conditoner are you using to wash your hair? Do you deep condtion your hair at all? Also, what leave in condioners are you using after you get out of the shower? 4b hair needs alot of moisture. I am not 4b but I can tell you I neeeed tons of moistre all the time.

I notice that if I give myself a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week then I can get away more and more with out having alot of other conditoners in after I wash. Generally I deep conditoner 2x a week. On Wednesdays and Sundays. If you don't have time to do that then sleep with the conditoner. Someone suggested this to me and it has helped alot when time is limited.

I am very big on washing (sans shampoo) everyday because I live in the gym as well. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't shampoo daily, I do rinses(I pour warm distilled water) over my hair over the sink. When I switched to the distilled water my hair stop being so dry. I beleive that is why I had a hard time getting conditioner washes to work for me the first few times(my hair got very dry and hard)....it was my water(very hard and lots of chlorine)

I was brainwashed from an early age that black women cant wash there hair everyday by my family. Sterotypes were passed down to me early in childhood.
I have to retrain my self about what is health for 4a hair.
I have been washing my hair every two weeks because thats what my mother did her mother did and her mother's mother did.
blush.gif
hwell:
blush.gif
hwell:
blush.gif
hwell:
I am going have to work up to washing daily.
My goal is to wash my hair once a week and by the end of summer i hope to be washing at least every three days.

Happylock
The best way I think to rinse your hair daily, is put your hair either in cornrows, bantu knots or flat twists. In a 50 ml bottle add some glycerine, rosewater, aloe vera gel or the aloe vera juice, two drops of castor oil, IC styling gel, add some distilled water and shake vigourously, then add more distilled water to fill up the bottle, (you could use bottle water you get in the supermarkets), then pour the water over your hair, get a towel and wrap your hair in the towel for at least 10 mins, to soak up any excess water, remove the towel, any frizzy hair, smooth down with Aloe vera gel, or use the styling gel and you can wash once a week. Also I have started using Nexus therappe shampoo and Humertress conditioner.

Rosalinde, you can still rinse daily, if you put your hair in a bun, you have your hair relaxed. You would not really have a problem of combing out your hair and it getting tangled, or in a french plait. Or make up a spray of the same ingredients and spray at least three times a day.

hmmm thats sounds like a good idea. God bless you all.

But could u still rinse your scalp daily even when you are in braids and would it amount to the same results as all the ladies have stated here?Could I just possibly mist my scalp with water and then condition wash every couple of days?

I think frequent is the secret also. My daughters go swimming a lot so I have to wash their hair 3 times a week and condition because of the chlorine. Their hair is waist length and very thick. Pre-kids I used to wash my hair 2 times a week and had hair almost waist length. Now it grows about 2 to 3 inches passed my shoulders but I know it could be longer if I washed/conditioned more often.
scratchchin.gif

This is a great post. Even though I just started this 3 weeks ago and I wash 2x a week I do rinse daily and I do co wash also. I've seen a lot of growth and my hair is softer.
trampoline.gif

Those of you who have been doing this for the last several months, please report in with your results. This is a very interesting thread and I (and I am sure others)want to know how you are doing. Thanks in advance!

Bump

Aerie

yes every since i've been doing the daily or every other day wash it showed a big diffrence.just sometimes i don't know what to do with the hair tired of the ponytail look. any other suggestions
wallbash.gif
censored.gif

[ QUOTE ]
yes every since i've been doing the daily or every other day wash it showed a big diffrence.just sometimes i don't know what to do with the hair tired of the ponytail look. any other suggestions
wallbash.gif
censored.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to try a french twist instead of a ponytail. I like it because it makes you look like you have a lot more hair (no matter how short or how long your hair actually is),it doesn't have to be perfect in order to look great and it only takes a minute to do.

I don't have the time to wash every day but since I started washing every three days (since about 5 weeks ago), my hair has shown major improvement.
love.gif

[ QUOTE ]
WOW O WOW O WOW I have been saying this for yearsssss and everytime I said this peopele looked at me as if I was crazy. How many times I have said that I noticed that my hair grows more from daily rinsing!

I don't shampoo ever but I do rinse daily sometimes twice a day. Once a week I do a conditioning wash with a bit of lemon. When I rinse I make certain to massage my scalp to remove any sweat and dirt. My hair always suffers when it does not get wet.

Growing up in St. Lucia I rinsed every single day and shampooed on Sundays and my hair was waist length. I remember comming to this country and everyone advised me to stop wetting my hair soo often because it was bad for black hair. From the time I stopped wetting my hair it was down hill for my hair.

When I began wetting my hair I surpassed the shoulder length. My hair never seemed to pass my shoulders for years untill I began to rinse daily. water is moisture and we need it.

Plus could that be one of added reasons that people of other ethnic groups grow longer hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is some good information for real!! but i was just wondering if it's ok to wash your hair every night as opposed to every morning? does it really make a difference????

Back