Curve Salon's Silkener Secret

tallnomad

Could it be that they mix a good protein conditioner with their relaxer to prevent overprocessing and maintain one's wave/curl pattern?

I might be kinda slow--this could have been discussed before, but thanks to a post from Delightfulflame and Sengschick--I think that might be the thing that can really make sure one's curls come out looking great!

I got a Silkener done last year and still have a lot on the bottom half of my hair. The curls are beautiful. I got two touch ups since then in California, and my hair now looks kind of mixed up and off due to the very noticeable texture differences. Top part of my hair is tighter curls, middle is straight and ends are loose, spiral-like curls.

According to Delight and Sengs, the protein method ensures "that you don't relax all the wave away aplying protein to the hair stops the relaxer from stripping the curl out while allowing the hair to process fully."--Sengschick.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just had an epiphany for myself! I've been stressing trying to figure out Curve's secret technique and lo and behold, I think this could be it.

I'm sure a lot of you self-relaxers and texlaxers know this already.

Does this makes sense? Thanks!

edited: here's a link to an old thread about this i just found:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=789758

Last edited:
well lets discuss this, maybe i can avoid paying 400.00 bucks for a slikner...that makes sense..anymore input?

*ElleB said:
DITTO! $400! :eek:

But bump it up, tell me more......

well, i could be exaggerating(sp) a bit, but if i am not mistaken..damn close to 400.00 maybe 375.00..somewhere along those lines..so we need to find this out..lol

yeah, a summer. last year i paid about $375 and this had jumped from my last touchup a few months before. who knows how much they are now. each time i call they say, "just to let you know, the price of the silkener has gone up to whatever and it's usually an increase of at least (yes at least) $100! they do a great job, but sometimes i feel exploited because they know people aren't aware of something and then they get you hooked--literally--on whatever they do.

i hope others respond. i sent a pm to delight so maybe she will chime in with more info. don't know if sengs is on this board, she's on another, but she had some great info.

i remember awhile back someone mentioned that they thought curve mixed the relaxer with a conditioner to cut the strength. from what sengs detailed post said, the protein or very thick/strong conditioner sounds like the magic bullet. sengs said that her curls were much more uniform when she used nexxus keraphix or something conditioner.

more responses por favor!

i read a long time ago that they used fiberguard mild relaxer/texturizer. fiberguard is the super mild and gentle version of affirm.

thanks ximenia. i did know that, but i'm still wondering if a conditioner on top still aided the uniform curls. i think someone said they thought they mixed conditioner into the fiberguard.

Sengs sent me a message with great information. I really appreciate her doing that and giving such detailed information. Here is her insight regarding the application of a texturizer/relaxer with a protein to maintain wave/curl pattern:

You need a protein conditioner, so something like AO GPB, Keraphix, Emergencee, etc. I like Keraphix b/c it's middle of the road and it doesn't get hard in my hair. I like to keep things as simple as possible and error free when in the hands of a stylist, but u can use something heavier like Emergencee as well. It'll work w/anything tho that's middle to heavy protein.

Basically the protein impeeds the relaxer from stripping all of the curl b/c topical reconstructors fortify the curly chains. So the conditioner makes the curls harder to destroy, they can be chemically exposed w/o losing all of their integrity. My goal w/relaxing is to be fully processed while maintaining the curl pattern. So my relaxer is typically on for the full processing time (I use lye), but I still have an even processing that leaves my pattern behind. Baffles my stylist, b/c she wants to use a stronger relaxer (I use mild), but what she don't know won't hurt her. She thinks my hair is resistant eventho she knows based on the texture it's anything but. I know I'm slowing driving her crazy, lol. The deal w/texturized hair is that in order to keep it strong and in proper balance, u need to be fully processed. That's the part most ppl miss, so that's when they come back saying they are underprocessed and it caused breakage and this, that and the other, I need to run the relaxer back thru, etc. If u leave a relaxer on for 5 mins, your hair can't be appropriately processed, so it's going to neither curl well or straighten well. That's when u know you've got it right. But if u go in unprotected and w/the wrong strength you're going to be fully relaxed if u attempt to 'fully process'.

Anyhoo, before I get too deep, lol, it works for me and I know some other ppl here who do it. I'm not familiar w/the product u are using, so I can't advise on that, but w/the protein u won't have to rush so much w/application. You'll have a window to work it and let it process. Wahs out in sections as you put it in. Let the time elapse btwn sections as needed. Just an FYI, I'm switching to Affirm Fiberguard and using Preservo (if I can track it down) before the process. From what I understand this is the relaxer they use at Curve, tho it's cut w/oil or something. Apparently Preservo works the same way, so the need for the protein method doesn't exist & as you've seen it protects your natural curl pattern.

ETA: I forgot to add, I don't add it to the relaxer. I apply it to my hair before I go to the salon. Sometimes I do it the night before, other times day of depending on what time my appt might be (in case I'm sloppy and get it on my scalp b/c u don't want open pores during processing of course). I apply it from new growth to ~3" beyond just in the event there is some overlap. Other ppl apply it to the entire length of the hair, which I've done in the past as well, but it's a waste of good condish if u ask me.

HTH,
~Sengs

This is great info. Whenever I add some oil and conditioner (VO5 or ORS mayonaise) to my texturizer/relaxer it makes my hair underprocessed leaving most of my curl pattern in tact. On the other hand, if I do not mix a conditioner with my relaxer/texturizer but only add some oil to it my hair is less underprocessed which results in some straight sections if left on for a long period of time. So there is definately some logic behind mixing some form of protein to the relaxer/texturizer or adding it to your hair before applying it in order to get the desired curl pattern you want to achieve.

just checking in...I got my info from Sengs too...she's wonderful.

First of all...my natural hair is VERY tightly coiled. I did the virgin relaxer with soft and beautiful. I was scared though...It was my first time trying it. Beforehand, I put some Kenra Color Maintenance conditioner in my hair and let it dry. (The only protein conditioner that I had on hand that's not too hard.) I also didn't half read the instructions and put the pre-treatment in my hair from the soft and beautiful kit. I applied the relaxer throughout my whole head in about 12 minutes. I processed more in the front than in the back, but my whole head was underprocessed.

After about 3 days, I used some roux porosity control conditioner. Since I had only died my hair a little while earlier, I wanted to make sure to protect it.

I waited about 5 days, and then did a corrective with silk elements mild lye relaxer. This time I based my scalp with vaseline. I also again put the Kenra Color Maintenance Conditioner throughout my hair. I applied the relaxer and then was able to smooth through with my fingers. It again took about 12 minutes. This time, you can see the difference. I am a lye relaxer user from now on. I have pics in my fotki if you'd like to see them. The link is below. Hope this helps!

:crying3: Delightful I loved-de-did your natural hair. I didn't know you texturized lately. Your avatar is rocking girl. You do great styles. I like your album too. :)

Tiffcurl:

Thanks for the great info.

So, sorry for being kinda slow but I wanna understand this: I'd put the conditioner in and leave the milder relaxer (I'm going to search for the products mentioned. Forget about my pm...hahahahha) on for the enitre recommended time? Somebody mentioned 12 minutes, which I thinks sounds good since I currently do 8.

Thanks.

Trinigul--Yeah, hopefully we can get this conditioner/relaxer thing skilled so we don't have to deal with all those crazy textures in our head. I still have to patiently wait for my straight sections to grow out--would cut them, but they're in the middle.:perplexed

Anyways, since I've never done a relaxer on my own head period, you should consult Delightful or Sengs about the specific steps. It sounds like they both leave the conditioner in their head for awhile (few hours) and then have the relaxer put on top on the conditioned head.

Other people might mix the conditioner with the relaxer, but I think next time, I will go to the salon with conditioner on my hair and then have the stylist apply the relaxer. HTH!

ok, so this makes sense, i heard about mixing the pro. cond. before, and i figured it would come up again in this thread...anyhoo..i wont be doing anything to may hair until next year, but i wanna make sure i get it down packed by then...i dunno if i want to spend that amount of money to get my hair texlaxed...but then again, i dont wanna screw my hair up by doing it myself either..

wow thanks for the info. I always spritz my hair length with aphogee green tea restructurizer the morning before my relaxer and i found that it stops my hair from relaxing bonestraight (which is why i use it). I never did know why, but seng's explanation is very good. I'll try keraphix on my roots.

I've never been to Curve but I think my hairdresser must use a similar method. When I go, she puts a thick creamy conditioner on and combs it through. Once it's dry she puts a mild relaxer on (not sure of the brand but I can ask) and kind of fingers it through. I love the way it comes out.

Ok, thanks for putting this info out there! This explains my last texturizing disaster! I mixed my relaxer with oils (coconut) not proteins and my hair is over and under processed. I have some straight parts and the rest is frizzy! I was surfing the net and came across a site that sells pure protein (concentrated) on their site they suggest mixing it into your relaxer for better results. I will mix some proteins into my next relaxer and update my results.

Deliteful, you're hair looks great!! Me likey!

Alli, I've been eyeing that protein for about a year now. Can't seem to bring myself to get it though. :cool:

VWVixxen said:
Deliteful, you're hair looks great!! Me likey!

Alli, I've been eyeing that protein for about a year now. Can't seem to bring myself to get it though. :cool:

Why not VWVixxen, do you think this is a bogus product that might result in hair loss? Have u heard negative things about it. Please advise. Has anyone else on the board ever used this productz? If so, what were your results?

Back