Curve Salon's Silkener Secret

Totally off topic...but look at them thighs VWVixxen!!! Girl, you had better be wearin those short shorts during the summer. :)

deborah11 said:
Why not VWVixxen, do you think this is a bogus product that might result in hair loss? Have u heard negative things about it. Please advise. Has anyone else on the board ever used this productz? If so, what were your results?

Oh not at all!! I hope I didnt' give that impression! I just had a 'don't get it' feeling so I haven't. There's a product at your local BSS that's supposed to be a protein liquid, it's in a small $3.99 bottle (4 oz so) that you can add to your conditioners, relaxers, etc, it's been on the market FOREVER but I've never used it. Daggett and Ramsdell's Long Glo I go to the store, I pick it up and put it down. Don't know why, just CAN'T seem to get it. :confused:

MsNadi said:
Totally off topic...but look at them thighs VWVixxen!!! Girl, you had better be wearin those short shorts during the summer. :)

:kiss: Thank you very much! My legs have been the most difficult of all my body parts to develop, everything else came like breathing. The legs...BLOOD sweat and T-E-A-R-S, and yes I mean literal tears. :cry3: :lol: (after the fact).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Oh, Delightful, I'm sorry I butchered your name, I was in a rush to post! I think this is a great thread and I'll be trying this out next retouch (2 weeks). If it works the way I hope it will, I will transition to texturized without a second thought!

So, for this method, do you have to put the protein conditioner INTO the relaxer, or just on your hair before applying the relaxer??

tiffcurl said:
Trinigul--Yeah, hopefully we can get this conditioner/relaxer thing skilled so we don't have to deal with all those crazy textures in our head. I still have to patiently wait for my straight sections to grow out--would cut them, but they're in the middle.:perplexed

Anyways, since I've never done a relaxer on my own head period, you should consult Delightful or Sengs about the specific steps. It sounds like they both leave the conditioner in their head for awhile (few hours) and then have the relaxer put on top on the conditioned head.

Other people might mix the conditioner with the relaxer, but I think next time, I will go to the salon with conditioner on my hair and then have the stylist apply the relaxer. HTH!

Just a note that I HATE taking info from one board and posting it on another but this info is invaluable so I hope Sengschick doesn't mind. I've been a fan of her hair since I started here some 2+ years ago.

Hope this answers some questions ladies:

Sengschick Paraphased said:
: I do mine the night before, but I do kinda go thru in sections so every bit of hair gets it. (to self: that's extra?) And I do go beyond the demarcation line just in case they fudge it up and overlap or something. (yeah, alright I'm extra and wot????) I'm paranoid that my hair will be too moist if I do it immediately before so I let it dry over night. I cleanse, straighten and protein conditioner. And my curls are finally consistent and fully processed but beautifully curly.

I TU'd on Wednesday so I did my hair on Monday night.
I straightened it on Tuesday and then did the conditioner thing, put it in an up-do of some sort Wed b/c I was in the office in the AM.
I can't recall if I used poo, but I'm sure I did b/c I used a light protein. Typically I would have used Emergencee (but I'm still recovering from that ORS Replenishing fiasco) which means a few poos.
I try to make sure my hair is as straight as possible so the comb isn't catching in it and pulling, thus breaking as the process is moving along.

To straighten the hair I rollerset. But I have at least 3 mos of NG and the point is to have the comb glide thru as effortlessly as possible so I'll go back in w/a flat iron on the NG only or I blowout the roots w/the blowdryer. Whichevas cleva. I made the horrid mistake once of going in w/an airdry style or twistout or something.

Happy Texturizing!!

Ok, what do they do and why does it cost $400.00??

Reminds me of Thermal Straightening.. Man I be wantin to just tell some of those girls to just go and get a relaxer :lol:

KhandiB said:
Ok, what do they do and why does it cost $400.00??

Reminds me of Thermal Straightening.. Man I be wantin to just tell some of those girls to just go and get a relaxer :lol:
I know. :( The pictures on the Curve Salon website don't look so good that I would pay $400 bucks for it. :nono:

If any of you try this protein method yourself or get it done in the salon, can you please post your experiences? wouldn't this be amazing if this is really what curve does to get this effect? i could kick my butt a thousand times over if i found out it was this simple--all they did was to breakdown the conditioner with protein and i'm sitting up there paying $400 not to mention a hair cut once and curly pudding and bbd stretch and a tip!:spank:

Lovelylocs said:
So this stuff is supposed to be stronger than Aphogee? :cool:

I'm not sure about it's potency, I was interested in it because it's pure protein that I could add to cheapie conditioners and save a few bucks.

@Vixxen, Idk why I haven't gotten it either. I guess because not many people have mentioned it or tried it, I'm kinda scurred, but I will try it eventually.

Last edited:
I have 3 different textures on my head. 3a, 3b, and some 4A. How would I go about doing a texturizer. If I put the conditoner on my hair the night before, wouldn't I still have to leave the relaxer on each type of hair for different periods. I mean I have loose curl at my nape and back sides, and curlier hair above that, but in the middle at the front and top back of hair is 4A. What would I do in that case?

Edie said:
I have 3 different textures on my head. 3a, 3b, and some 4A. How would I go about doing a texturizer. If I put the conditoner on my hair the night before, wouldn't I still have to leave the relaxer on each type of hair for different periods. I mean I have loose curl at my nape and back sides, and curlier hair above that, but in the middle at the front and top back of hair is 4A. What would I do in that case?

Edie, how do you do your hair now? I relax mine in 6 sections because of this very problem. It takes longer but my results are more consistent. Over at the Jazma salon, they do their silkening that way (small sections to obtain more consistent results between the textures).

VWVixxen said:
Edie, how do you do your hair now? I relax mine in 6 sections because of this very problem. It takes longer but my results are more consistent. Over at the Jazma salon, they do their silkening that way (small sections to obtain more consistent results between the textures).
Thats what I did last week with my relaxer. I used Baglady's banding tech. and I worked it in using six sections. Im gonna do this protein and oil thing also for my next relaxer in October. I think it will come out even better.

My hair is natural now. The 4A section is a b**ch to work with. I usually wind up using a pressing comb when I want to let it all laid out so to speak. If not I would look like demented poodle. It would be no problem putting into sections when applying the relaxer. It is just that I have a very noticable difference in the different sections in my hair. All the hair around the nape and edges of hair for 2-4 inches is straight up 3a. I mean it hangs almost straight,with very little curl. The the next part is curlier and the middle is 4A afro hair (it drys in a humongous poof). Like I said I look like a demented poodle once my hair drys. My hair overall is about waistlength, so this is not a pretty picture.

Edie said:

o my goodness, that is like my hair texture!!

Edie, we will go on this journey 2gether..i am still trying to get this answer myself...if not i will have to fork up the monies and get it done..i will save , do overtime, or something! but i would want to make sure i get this formulation right b/c i dont wanna end up with over /under processed hair..some afro to the left..and strait her to the right....nah...cant do it..

asummertyme said:
Edie, we will go on this journey 2gether..i am still trying to get this answer myself...if not i will have to fork up the monies and get it done..i will save , do overtime, or something! but i would want to make sure i get this formulation right b/c i dont wanna end up with over /under processed hair..some afro to the left..and strait her to the right....nah...cant do it..

Girl, I wish some of the ladies who texturized their hair with relaxers would give up the knowledge. Some of these ladies must have different types of hair on their hair.

I was under the impression that curves salon mixed the relaxer and the conditioner in the bowl. Hmmm...:scratchch

Sorry for the delay in response but I am on vacation and the internet connection was down. I am not sure what the difference is between texlaxed and texturized. My hair was only treated long enough to loosen up the curls. I have to use heat to wear it straight. The coils used to be the size of one of those springs inside of like a pen and now its like the size of jherri curls for lack of a better discription. I will try to upload some photos this weekend.

TG

this is very interesting. I wouldn't be brave enough to apply a protein to the relaxer, although it makes perfectly good sense. Im telling you ladies to spritz your hair with the Aphogee green tea restructurizer...it works everytime for me. It stops my hair from relaxing bonestraight. though i am 4a-b and i still can't wear a wash n go. maybe i will try to use Keraphix so that i can retain more curl.

Edie said:
Girl, I wish some of the ladies who texturized their hair with relaxers would give up the knowledge. Some of these ladies must have different types of hair on their hair.

Well, I only have two types of hair on my head...(mostly 4a- o shaped =very coily, and small patches of 3c-4a s shaped in the front and back= looser coil/curl)

IF I did have this issue, then I would definitely do my hair in sections. Several strand tests may even need to be performed.

I've watched them apply "silkeners" at the salon on some of their customers. I noticed they applied and rinsed out in sections on SOME of their customers specifically to prevent overprocessing (I saw them do it on someone with color).

I just sat at watched the Jazma video again before I mailed it out. I took some notes. One thing I'm wondering about with Curves is how they keep the hair curly, Jazma's models almost all have border line straightish hair. They release the curls about 75 - 85/90% depending on the wishes of the client. To me the heads look more like wet mops than neat curlies like Curves (however I do like the off scalp application technique Jazma uses). :scratchch

I realize it's more about hair texture than application technique as to how it turns out ultimately but I want DETAILS LADIES! :lol:

Someone who has been there needs to drop the 4-1-1 on how they apply the relaxer and go about smoothing/releasing the curls! :yep:

VWVixxen said:
I just sat at watched the Jazma video again before I mailed it out. I took some notes. One thing I'm wondering about with Curves is how they keep the hair curly, Jazma's models almost all have border line straightish hair. They release the curls about 75 - 85/90% depending on the wishes of the client. To me the heads look more like wet mops than neat curlies like Curves (however I do like the off scalp application technique Jazma uses). :scratchch

I realize it's more about hair texture than application technique as to how it turns out ultimately but I want DETAILS LADIES! :lol:

Someone who has been there needs to drop the 4-1-1 on how they apply the relaxer and go about smoothing/releasing the curls! :yep:

I do not have a silkener, but I visit the salon for my cuts, so I've watched the process. I'm actually surprised that hair doesn't come out straighter than it does because it seems like they leave the stuff in just as long as a regular relaxer. I don't know what the secret is to the "concoction" that is used for silkening. I can ask my Manager when she gets back from her trip more details of the application because she has been getting silkeners for a few years now. I will tell you what I've observed. Miko is the only one that applies the silkener. She has an applicator bottle with some type of liquid protection and she applies to the scalp. She uses her fingers to part the hair and apply the cream. She moves pretty quickly, just pulling the hair apart in sections with her fingers, scooping the cream out of the bowl, and applying it over and under the parted hair. She does this through out the entire hair, smoothing it somewhat. I cannot remember if she goes back through the hair after she's applied the chemical. The customers "sit" with it in for a few minutes. I'm not sure how long, but they don't rush them to the sink to rinse out right after the application. I go to the salon next weekend, so if I can observe anymore details, I'll get back to you all.

i've gotten my hair done at curve about three times. the first two times they did many sections and rinsed out each section before applying to the next section. the last time, she said she wanted to be a bit more aggressive with the silkener so i could have more defined curls and body. this time, she applied it all over my hair and kept it in about 12-15 mintues. my curls came out perfect--going from small springy curls to a little larger than straw-sized curls--almost like Cree Summer hair.

so1913 described the process perfectly--they move very fast. etc.

i asked miko about the chemicals they used and if it matters and why many stylists can't do texturizers. she said the application technique is more important than the product. she said many people just overprocess and can't match the demarcation line properly. i asked her if i should try it myself since i was watching her apply it, she said no especially since i've never applied a relaxer to my own hair before.

when i first went to the salon, my hair was fully natural. i had learned to enhance my own natural frizz and springs into defined curls throughout much of my hair. the annoying thing to achieving these defined curls was i had to wet my hair daily with lots of conditioners and random holding concotions. when i got to curve they asked me to look through some of their hair books and pick what types of curl sizes i was interested in. i picked a few ranges--smaller to larger. miko went through my hair and said that she wasn't sure if my hair would be able to curl like the larger curls. she also said that i might come out with more of a loose wave pattern. my hair is 4a/b and thick. it doesn't have a definite curl pattern and looks like little springs and z's throughout. once the silkener process was done, she was very pleased. the curls popped out of places that had previously just been frizz. she said that she felt confident next time that we could be more aggressive and get bigger curls the next time. so, with this long explanation, i think there really is something to their technique. this technique could include the use of protein or some other product that breaks down the relaxer. i also think they technique is more of a smoothing process rather than combing process. they have used a comb on me before, but they didn't pull it all the way through--it was almost like a downward teasing method. but i really am convinced that there is something added to their relaxer. i wish we could figure out this technique absolutely.

This is all great info. We're getting closer and closer to their secret. One of ya'll just needs to bust in there when they're mixing the relaxer or at the very least wear a wire with a camera and it on utube for all of us to analyze.

Back