Cowashing and bunning the key to wsl hair!

I tried to read thru most of the thread but I didn't see any one mention how they avoid build up on the hair from frequent co washing?

i bun ALOT and cowash almost exclusively these days. i use clarifying conditioner by VO5 and i use dr. bronners castille soap (very diluted with water and a few drops of oil to make it less harsh) once a month or less to remove any buildup.

i really don't have any issues with buildup though since i started using clarifying conditioner instead of regular conditioners to co wash.

i need to make a commitment to bun until thanksgiving......it might help me get through this transition a little easier.

any time i have had damage or wanted major retention, cowashing and bunning always worked for me.

I've been doing this for a while now. But my method is kind of different from a lot of peoples. So I wash my hair once a month for starters. And on the first day after the wash, I let it air dry for a bit, then blow it dry on cool. Then I put it up in a pony tail. I braid the ends of the pony tail in a semi loose braid. I then proceed to tuck the braid under and bun my hair. I NEVER undo that braid. The only thing I do is at the end of each week, I undo the bun and pony tail I made (so keep in mind my hair is still in that braided shape) and repackage the pony tail together. And tuck the braid under once more. And bun again. I don't comb my hair for a MONTH. The bun still looks fresh everyday. I rap the bun itself with a scarf every night, then I put a bonnet on top of it. In the morning I just slick down the edges and go. Quite simple. Works for me. If you are prone to tangles and matting. Then it may not be your type of thing. But I retain allllll of my growth this way. Only problem is my boyfriend is starting to complain about my hair being in a bun all the time. But whatever. He can wait til March when I decide to be a little bit freer with my hair. For now. I want to retain ALL of my growth.

Sound like what I do and I swear by it! It also helps to keep my 4a/b hair stretched in a bun. No tangles at take down.

Good post.

I am wigging my 4a/b hair, but the principles are pretty much the same. I just started to keep my hair in french braids for 8 weeks at a time. I co-wash it in the braids whenever I feel like it (1-3x per wk) and do a clarifying wash once a month.

I take down the braids with shea butter and re-braid after 8 weeks. Very low manipulation and I can wash my hair as often as I like.

Sound like what I do and I swear by it! It also helps to keep my 4a/b hair stretched in a bun. No tangles at take down.

I have the goody spin pins and they don't keep my bun in place.

BGT

do you use the large ones or the small? i grab my hair into a pony, twist and wrap it into a bun. i secure the bun with a spin pin on top on the left, and the bottom on the right. i use the large ones. now my hair on the sides still isn't long enough to stay put so, so i use a snap clip on each side behind my ears or close to the bun to make those strands stay in place. my hair is layered.

how do you use yours? i have a friend that uses them and she has neck length hair. she uses the smaller ones.

i'm going to try this high bun thing again. i really wanted to wait until my hair was much longer, but i was watching some vids and it seems it can be done with my length.

Yay! Getting back to bunning. I had to stop while transitioning because my relaxed and natural hair didn't play nicely together. :nono:

I've been alternating between buns and wigs for the last 3 weeks. I've been trying to really conscious of my bun placement and I never slick back my edges. My buns are always light and loose.

And I've been alternating what I use to hold my bun. I never use the same tool more than 2 days in a row --looped metal comb, satin scrunchie, banana clip, Goody Kimberly clip, hair pins (not bobby. I really don't like those.) So far so good.

To give my buns texture, I'll do a braid n curl on my hair pampering day, which is once weekly. I can't get with daily cowashing. I'm really enjoying my pampering days!

i really want to try to bun my hair until the end of the year. i really want to see how my retention i get from bunning and is it really worth it.

I'll be trying this until the end of the year. I plan to co-wash at night - maybe every other night instead of every night.

I've been co-washing every 2 days and bunning. I lose so little hair now when detangling. It's great.

ive been bunning for the last month now and i have retained all my length no brekage at all. im sooo happy its so easy and quick. detangling once or twice a week is a breeze cos the hair is already stretched. i will stick to this for a while. hope to make bsl nxt yr im apl right now.

Okay, so I'm loving the idea of bunning but I've felt that my hair is simply too short... UNTIL.... I came across this video tonight! Honestly at first I didn't know where she (NaturalTari) was going with this but, was stunned to see her methods for short 4a/4b hair, it just seemed so different and unexpected. Maybe its just me but I KNOW I can do this, even if I don't think I can yet achieve some of the other lovely buns shown in this thread. THIS video makes a bun doable for some of my fellow 4/a-4/b shorter lengthed ladies!!! Now I'm sure some of you have already seen this video so forgive my enthusiam, but this gives me hope for future bunning! Yeaaaaaaah!! :) (Admittedly, not sure how the co-washing part will work with this but, still an achievable bun.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bs7q_0MiI

gonnabme1st said:
Okay, so I'm loving the idea of bunning but I've felt that my hair is simply too short... UNTIL.... I came across this video tonight! Honestly at first I didn't know where she (NaturalTari) was going with this but, was stunned to see her methods for short 4a/4b hair, it just seemed so different and unexpected. Maybe its just me but I KNOW I can do this, even if I don't think I can yet achieve some of the other lovely buns shown in this thread. THIS video makes a bun doable for some of my fellow 4/a-4/b shorter lengthed ladies!!! Now I'm sure some of you have already seen this video so forgive my enthusiam, but this gives me hope for future bunning! Yeaaaaaaah!! :) (Admittedly, not sure how the co-washing part will work with this but, still an achievable bun.)

Oh you just made me one happy camper lol been struggling with wanting a full bin at sl!

gonnabme1st said:

This is so great!

Anyone know the results of cowashing while stretching or transitioning on particularly 4abc hair (tight,tny curls/naps). Anyone good results within matting?

Anyone know the results of cowashing while stretching or transitioning on particularly 4abc hair (tight,tny curls/naps). Anyone good results within matting?

I've only been CW x3 a week for about 2 weeks I'm 8 weeks post and I'm definitely 4bc and I like it so far. My hair stays hydrated more often and it makes combing thru my new growth a lot easier

abcd09 said:

I am also 4a who co-washes 3x weekly. I am currently 20 weeks post with no issues with ng manageability. What keeps my hair and new growth manageable is DC'ing each time water touches my hair. I've been bunning and knotting my hair only for three weeks. Plus using ceramide rich oils to seal my moisture has been the best thing for my hair by far.

Last edited:

I think most of my hair is 4a. I've been cowashing on and off for years and stretching for about 2 years and never had issues with matting from it. If anything cowashing (as opposed to stretching out washing) causes more tangles.

Although I keep my hair primarily in mini braids, I cowash 2x per week. I'm going to start bunning them for the next 6 months to see if there is a difference between what I am currently doing with them and bunning them daily.

Back