Classic to Mid-Thigh Length 2011 Challenge

Candy828, your hair is beautiful. It looks very thick and I bet it is super longer when bone straight/stretched out. The two puffs are adorable. Thanks for posting pics.

Wow,:woot: Your hair has filled in so nicely:dizzy: I was considering a 4-5 inch cut. Listening too much to all this thick ends propaganda. But kept saying that my hair just is not ever going to be like that. So I am sticking with the Cinnamon Hair practice and will let my hair naturally fill end.

:yep: Your hair looks great.

This thread is pretty positive, but hopefully both views of trimming to goal as well as trim when you reach goal are welcome :). Cinnamon stated her hair was in terrible shape due to a lack of trimming and bad hair care. She initially trimmed 7 inches, and then 2 inches every year until she reached a milestone and then she would maintain. Cinnamon is pro-trimming. I don't think anyone was trying to be hurtful in stating their views on "lead hairs"... but rather trying to clear up what was being believed by some that without trimming, shorter layers will on their own catch up with longer layers.

If I know someone doesn't believe in trimming their hair until they reach their goals, then I'll support their decision and encourage them even though I disagree with their methods.... that's one thing I like about this thread.... :rosebud:

however, when the word propaganda is used, it leaves me with the impression that the views of those who are pro-trimmers aren't welcomed and this is more of a support thread for non-trimmers.

This thread is pretty positive, but hopefully both views of trimming to goal as well as trim when you reach goal are welcome :). Cinnamon stated her hair was in terrible shape due to a lack of trimming and bad hair care. She initially trimmed 7 inches, and then 2 inches every year until she reached a milestone and then she would maintain. Cinnamon is pro-trimming. I don't think anyone was trying to be hurtful in stating their views on "lead hairs"... but rather trying to clear up what was being believed by some that without trimming, shorter layers will on their own catch up with longer layers.

If I know someone doesn't believe in trimming their hair until they reach their goals, then I'll support their decision and encourage them even though I disagree with their methods.... that's one thing I like about this thread.... :rosebud:

however, when the word propaganda is used, it leaves me with the impression that the views of those who are pro-trimmers aren't welcomed and this is more of a support thread for non-trimmers.

I believe it is propaganda to say that the only healthy hair is thick blunt cut hair. Then to go on and use derogatory terms in reference to anything but a blunt cut hair style. That is propoganda. It is an attempt to intimidate any one who does not blunt cut their hair. Even the method of S&D has been attacked. Their are people on this website who speak strongly for blunt cut and say that basically any thing other than thick blunt cut hair is not healthy. Those statements come up alot and there are others who are not as tollerent as you and state strongly that there is no such thing as lead hairs. They do not do as you have stated and leave it up to individuals. When I read words like "ragedy" and "messed up" if it is not blunt cut ends I can only state that it is a bias attitude attempting to propaganda their views.

I have never stated I was against trims. I have advised people to trim if they feel the need but to do it in small trims periodically to stay on top of things if they have excessive splits. Cinnamon hair trimmed twice a year at no more than 2 inches. That is not cutting hair at 4 inches a pop every time a few hairs hang longer. Her big cut was because of years of neglect. NOt as a regular remedy to have instant blunt thick ends. She than took over 4 years to slowly fill in the thickness.

You reference that the belief that shorter hairs will catch up to the others is a myth that needs to be cleard up. Many people not only believe that but have the longer hair to support the belief. It is not a belief that needs to be corrected in many of others including mine understanding.

I'm pro trimming. I think the frequency in which one should trim has a lot to do with what a person does to his/her hair on a daily basis. Like someone with a relaxer that mostly wear the hair straight with color may require more trimming than someone who never straightens or colors and is chemical free. It depends.

Getting the hair trimmed once a year and only getting an inch or two taken off is very reasonable to me. I prefer this. If the retention is good most people with an average growth rate should have a good 5-6 inches of new growth within a year's time so getting only an inch taken off isn't bad.

Not trimming my hair makes me uneasy, because I have coarse hair that eventually splits over time with daily wear and tear. I support all views. I think it's important for people to do what works best for them. Teri from www.tightlycurly.com never trims and it works for her, but she never straightens or colors her hair either.

Thin versus thick ends is personal preference too. Some people don't mind fairytale ends. The hair tends to unravel and naturally thins on the ends when it reaches super long lengths. Some don't mind this while others like myself prefer a more thicker even hem line.

Also, hair does tend to grow at different rates. I guess it's possible for the shorter lengths to catch up but I prefer to cut to a more even look.

Here's my hair prior to getting trimmed this year:

DSC02986-vi.jpg

^^^The center left part is the longest length. My hair grows in a U with the left center growing the fastest.

After getting an inch taken off:

DSC02989-vi.jpg

^^^I prefer to just get one to two inches cut a year. I notice when it's time for a trim my hair doesn't retain length as quickly; I guess that's because my hair is starting to break off as fast as it gains length.

I think trimming isn't the problem to growing long hair, but trimming too frequently. I remember when I was shoulder length I was getting half an inch cut off every six weeks. That's about 4 inches a year which I consider too much if you're trying to grow your hair out to very long lengths and you have an average growth rate.

Here I am relaxed and shoullder length in 2004:

Edit1-vi.jpg

Here is my hair this year:

DSC02996-vi.jpg

^^^All of this after transitioning from relaxed to natural from 2006-2009 (with the help of multiple mini trims), getting 3 inches of relaxed ends cut off in 2009, and about an 0.5-1 inch cut off each year after that.

I'm not trying to push trimming on anyone though but I think the problem is trimming too frequently, not trimming itself. Trimming an inch a year does wonders for my hair. When I go too long without trimming my hair I don't retain length very well at all. Without the trims, even if it is just an inch a year, I don't think I would have ever made it to butt length.

I've never had butt length hair in my entire life. What I've done differently, besides going natural and low manipulation (I used to brush and comb my hair multiple times a day, sometimes up to half an hour at a time :nono: ), is trim less frequently.

To those that go without trimming, that's fine too. It's up to the individual. :yep:

Vintagecoilylocks I'm one person who is pro regular dusting and don't believe in S&D. I also have never advocated blunt cuts. Heck, I don't even have blunt cuts so I agree with you that they are not necessary. What I do not agree with is NEVER dusting/trimming...and while I have seen people who can get away with it in a thread where I asked for people of that group to post and saw beautiful heads of hair, I truly believe that for most people, regular dusting "to stay on top of things" as you put it is imperative. You mention Cinnamon cutting off not more that 2 inches a year. That's more than I cut off dusting every 8 weeks. At 1/4 inch trims, I actually trim a total of 1.5 inches a year. And I do think it is important that this point is made clear. I may never reach classic length but it's not because I cut off 1.5 inches coz surely that isn't all I grow a year. I know my retention is affected by my lackadaisical attitude to sealing/using leave-ins and to protective styling out of sheer laziness. My hair is bare 90% of the time...and I think the last time I used product on my hair since I took my braids out in August, was August 2010 when I tried the leave-in I use for loose hair on my twists...but didn't really get into it. So I'm back to being bare.

Anyway, just wanted to step in because I realize there's a misunderstanding on what regular trimmers like Spring advocate, and it isn't blunt cuts in the sense that all the hair falls to one level.

Last edited:
Okay.... I Love :rosebud:you all but....

:stop: The hair traffic police has arrived.....:grin: Bad talking is :ban2:not allowed.:lol: We have to develop the timeout chair...:meditate:

This thread is made up of all of different types women i.e. dusters, trimmers, cutters and yes, on occasion, a chopper...:nono: The only one's that get their hands slapped(in a loving way:lol:) is the chopper who doesn't need to chop.:yep: We have a wide range of hair care routines and methods that we choose to reach our goals. Being a part of the LHCF is a hair learning experience. If any of us were perfect, we probably would have never joined this site. So, there are going to be some successes and failures, strong views and open minds, those who mature and those who don't. All women are welcome here no matter what category they fall in. I am hoping this thread will stay free of attacks and bashing like a lot of other threads I read. Let's keep it clean:mopup: up in here and continue to share the good vibes...:mmmchocolate:

This thread a learning and history making thread. I support you all no matter what decisions you make, because you are the one that must be happy with your choices. In the end it doesn't matter what I or someone else thinks...:iloveyou:

Happy Hair Growing! and remember KEEP IT CLEAN! :laundry: :love3:

I hope no one's offended. We all have different hair care practices, etc. but different things work for different people. For example, my only hair product is conditioner (and sometimes EVOO during the cooler months) and that's it. Some people's hair breaks off from leaving plain conditioner in their hair like I do, and I leave a lot in. But it works for me. I think it's important for everyone to find a regimen that works for them and everyone's hair has unique needs. I never deep condition, seal, etc. I don't moisturize daily either. Leaving plain conditioner in my hair is my moisturizer until my next wash and I wash once a weak. Leaving plain conditioner in my hair is enough for me, but this doesn't work for everyone. Everyone is different. We can all learn from each other though. I enjoy reading everyone's hair care practices.

:stop: The hair traffic police has arrived.....:grin: Bad talking is :ban2:not allowed.:lol: We have to develop the timeout chair...:meditate:

This thread is made up of all of different types women i.e. dusters, trimmers, cutters and yes, on occasion, a chopper...:nono: The only one's that get their hands slapped(in a loving way:lol:) is the chopper who doesn't need to chop.:yep: We have a wide range of hair care routines and methods that we choose to reach our goals. Being a part of the LHCF is a hair learning experience. If any of us were perfect, we probably would have never joined this site. So, there are going to be some successes and failures, strong views and open minds, those who mature and those who don't. All women are welcome here no matter what category they fall in. I am hoping this thread will stay free of attacks and bashing like a lot of other threads I read. Let's keep it clean:mopup: up in here and continue to share the good vibes...:mmmchocolate:

This thread a learning and history making thread. I support you all no matter what decisions you make, because you are the one that must be happy with your choices. In the end it doesn't matter what I or someone else thinks...:iloveyou:

Candy828, you're too cute, lol! :lol: I agree with you.

LOL at the time out chair! :lol:

Happy hair growing and *hugs* to all of you. :theteam:

Vintagecoilylocks Anyway, just wanted to step in because I realize there's a misunderstanding on what regular trimmers like Spring advocate, and it isn't blunt cuts in the sense that all the hair falls to one level.

Since I nor anyone else on this thread has had any negative statements about dusting or trimming I don't understand what you are stepping into correct or defend. As Candy stated we all have our ways of tending to our hair and share the info. Our goal is to obtain long healthy hair. :yep:

I believe it is propaganda to say that the only healthy hair is thick blunt cut hair. Then to go on and use derogatory terms in reference to anything but a blunt cut hair style. That is propoganda. It is an attempt to intimidate any one who does not blunt cut their hair. Even the method of S&D has been attacked. Their are people on this website who speak strongly for blunt cut and say that basically any thing other than thick blunt cut hair is not healthy. Those statements come up alot and there are others who are not as tollerent as you and state strongly that there is no such thing as lead hairs. They do not do as you have stated and leave it up to individuals. When I read words like "ragedy" and "messed up" if it is not blunt cut ends I can only state that it is a bias attitude attempting to propaganda their views.

.... derogatory remarks used to silence opposing points of view are wrong and unnecessary coming from both sides.

I can only speak for my personal views, but I think we can agree that hair terminology such as "healthy" is subjective and it generally refers to a decent amount of hair that is not split or visibly broken. All hair is damaged, unless you're a newborn... so blunt = the attempt to keep most of the hair at the hemline in decent condition, not badly broken or split.... yes I agree with this. Volume at the longer lengths generally is a sign of less breakage. You don't agree and have your reasons for that, but it doesn't make the opposing view "propaganda".

When lower layers grow down ahead of the upper because they are positioned ahead, the tips of those strands will continue to leave the majority of hair... when it's in it's resting phase before shedding, it doesn't "wait" for upper layers, .....it falls out. This view is not propaganda. Your hemline is thickened through trimming.

We disagree, but I hope we can keep encouraging and learning from each other here.

Last edited:

Thanks Candy :)

Candy828, I appreciated all the awesome information you sharing, i'm far from classic length and recently had a major hair loss disaster and found this thread useful and inspirational to my hair back. You and the rest of the ladies are great! Thank you for sharing!

we can agree that hair terminology such as "healthy" is subjective
I get around that by saying that hair is in "good condition" (or it isn't). :)

And just to show how irrational our preferences can sometimes be (or at least mine anyway), I dislike fairy tale ends on type 1-2 hair, but see nothing wrong with it for type 3-4. Go figure. :drunk:

I get around that by saying that hair is in "good condition" (or it isn't). :)

And just to show how irrational our preferences can sometimes be (or at least mine anyway), I dislike fairy tale ends on type 1-2 hair, but see nothing wrong with it for type 3-4. Go figure. :drunk:

I use this term as well :).... but if I see a video of an asian woman with super shiney, super thick hair... I revert back to calling it "healthy" :lol:

Tips for the Day! Tuesday, June 7th

You can have silky shiny hair
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]by: Tracie Johansen[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]http://www.1001recipes2send.com/Other/1056-You_Can_Have_Silky_Shiny_Hair.shtml[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Be sure to eat enough protein. Your hair is composed of protein and if you don't get enough it could cause your hair to become dry and brittle. Make a protein shake twice a day just to be sure. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Protein Shake Recipe [/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
  • 2 Tbs. Soy protein Powder (your favorite kind)
  • 1 cup milk or juice
  • 1/4 cup fresh, canned or frozen fruit
  • ice[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Mix in a blender until smooth and creamy." [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Hair Serum's (I have used this site before. Make sure you click on all the tabs. There is a wealth of information....)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]http://hairrecipes.homestead.com/hairserumrecipes.html[/FONT]

Best Juice Recipes for Hair and Body
http://www.springclean-cleanse.com/fresh-vegetable-juice-recipes.html

Top Five Vegetable Juice Recipes
http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/vegetable-juice-recipes.html

Happy Hair Growing!:grin:

:fairy:

@Candy828 Maybe you should try mixing up your sources of protein and not just have soy daily (which isn't the best source).

Thanks. I do try... but limited in this country.... I have eggs, chicken, nuts etc... But this is the land of soy. Soybean Paste, Powder... you name it, they got it. I don't eat red meat. Do feel free to jump in with suggestions though! I am sure others would benefit as well.:yep:

Thanks. I do try... but limited in this country.... I have eggs, chicken, nuts etc... But this is the land of soy. Soybean Paste, Powder... you name it, they got it. I don't eat red meat. Do feel free to jump in with suggestions though! I am sure others would benefit as well.:yep:

I sometimes use hemp seed powder and pumpkin seed powder. Not sure if you have that where you live. There's also nuts which I soak and blend in smoothies. :lick:

I sometimes use hemp seed powder and pumpkin seed powder. Not sure if you have that where you live. There's also nuts which I soak and blend in smoothies. :lick:

I do have access to hemp seed powder and pumpkin seed powder. I was drinking pumpkin seed powder for it's hair benefits. I did not know of it's protein content. See I just learned something too!:grin: Thanks. I will try doing the nuts in my smoothies. That sounds like a delicious idea!:yep:

Tips for the Day! Wednesday, June 8th

All about Sebum

http://www.acneprecautions.com/all_about_sebum.html

How to Increase Sebum
http://www.ehow.com/how_5401701_increase-sebum.html

How to Decrease Sebum
http://www.ehow.com/how_5637866_decrease-sebum.html

If you have Scalp acne try "Herbs
for acne"

http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/herbs-for-acne.html

http://herbs.ygoy.com/herbs-for-acne/

Four Tips for Beautiful African American Hair (Interesting article from another races point of view....)
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/four-tips-for-beautiful-african-american-hair-123404938.html

Tips for the Day! Thursday, June 9th

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Health Benefits of Fish Oil .... is fish in your diet plan????
[/FONT]
"Fish oil helps maintain a good luster of the hair. Omega three has hair growing properties as it provides nourishment to the follicles. It therefore aids in faster development of hair and preventing hair loss. A good supply of proteins is also necessary for hair growth. Since most fish varieties are rich in protein, eating fish helps in keeping healthy hair."
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-animal-products/organic-fish/health-benefits-of-fish-oil.html

Chinese Herbs for Hair Growth

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/articles/article/China/Chinese-Herbs-for-Hair-Growth/1818

First At-Home Device Granted FDA Clearance to Treat Female Pattern Hair Loss
[FONT=&quot]"The HairMax Lux 9 is indicated to treat Androgenic Alopecia and promote hair growth in females who have Ludwig (Savin) Scale I-4, II-1, II-2 or frontal and Fitzpatrick Skin Types I-IV."[/FONT][FONT=&quot](It's a laser comb.... interesting and it's a little pricey...)[/FONT]
http://www.healthnewsdigest.com/new...rance_to_Treat_Female_Pattern_Hair_Loss.shtml

[QUOTE=Vintagecoilylocks I just wanted to know which pic is of you the one in signature or the advatar? I love the salt and pepper.

Tips for the Day! Friday, June 10th

Way to Dress up a Ponytail with a hat

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:356&biw=997&bih=571

I am really starting to like the fishtail braid. It has so many possibilities...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:220&biw=997&bih=571

Fishbone/Fishtail Braid on African American NATURAL Hair (flatironed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8w6tZtdvxo

Fishbone/tail Braid Attached to the Scalp (on flatironed NATURAL hair)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCbbTWjBe0k

If you just want to look at long hair, try this stream of pics... there are pages and pages of pics.... Mostly extreme lengths...Buts I did get some hairstyle ideas out of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57220933@N03/

Back